Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
what does americans needing to inconvenience themselves and the status quo to bring about real change have to do with the dem primary for a house seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Vomik posted:

politics grows out of the barrel of a gun

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
lol imagine being alive ngl that's cringe

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Vomik posted:

what does americans needing to inconvenience themselves and the status quo to bring about real change have to do with the dem primary for a house seat

Nothing really im just bored

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dreylad posted:

i think people forget that anything past electoralism is harder than getting elected. you have to be more organized, more willing to sacrifice than just getting out the vote.

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. There is nothing inconsistent about simultaneously believing both "electoralism is a dead end with zero chance of creating a good future" and "I don't want to die and am unwilling to take the sort of political actions that would get me killed, even though such actions being undertaken by large numbers of people is probably the only thing that could really make a difference."

There's no law of the universe saying "positive change is always possible to accomplish without sacrifice and bloodshed." I feel like most Americans (I'm not implying that this includes you), including most people who consider themselves part of "the left," have this dogmatic optimism that all goals can be accomplished through electoralism and peacefully engaging with institutions (despite there being basically zero historical precedent of this ever accomplishing anything significant).

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

drat horror queefs posted:

All the monsters that mortgaged humanity's future for another cabin on their yachts will remain unaffected and die peacefully in their mansions with lavish obituaries in the NYT to follow them.
All our future selves can do is ensure that their genetic lineages are extinguished forever.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think anyone is forgetting that. There is nothing inconsistent about simultaneously believing both "electoralism is a dead end with zero chance of creating a good future" and "I don't want to die and am unwilling to take the sort of political actions that would get me killed, even though such actions being undertaken by large numbers of people is probably the only thing that could really make a difference."

There's no law of the universe saying "positive change is always possible to accomplish without sacrifice and bloodshed." I feel like most Americans (I'm not implying that this includes you), including most people who consider themselves part of "the left," have this dogmatic optimism that all goals can be accomplished through electoralism and peacefully engaging with institutions (despite there being basically zero historical precedent of this ever accomplishing anything significant).

I think it’s bc there is a prevailing human belief that things always get better over time and so people refuse to acknowledge anything to the contrary

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Dreylad posted:

i think people forget that anything past electoralism is harder than getting elected. you have to be more organized, more willing to sacrifice than just getting out the vote.
I think you kind of have to unpack what you mean by "easy" tbh. If you mean with the least amount of bloodshed then that is trivially correct unless and until we start working trial by combat into selecting electors or something. But you can say the same of like, arguing with Nazis vs just shooting them. Arguing with them is "easier" I guess, maybe until they decide to execute you at least, but you're not going to get anywhere either. I think if you can quantify "political effort" and "political results" and start doing some math, you'll get some interesting results including probably like a divide by zero error when you try to make sense of electoralism in the context of contemporary American politics.

At the very least working with the Democratic party goes no where. That's not to say that third parties can win in the US - again the reason that electoralism is "easy" is precisely that it can not directly affect the capitalism system at all - but indirectly via loving up the calculus of career Democrats while they're trying to get their grift on, is probably the most pull you can exert on the system purely via electoralism. But to do that you have to find reasonably competent politicians who can secure some nontrivial fraction of the vote but who are also willing to subsume their personal ambition into the greater political project. There probably aren't enough of those.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Vomik posted:

I think it’s bc there is a prevailing human belief that things always get better over time and so people refuse to acknowledge anything to the contrary

I'm not sure if this is really a human belief so much as "a belief in the wealthier nations from the last century or two." I feel like the whole "the arc of the moral universe is long but bends towards justice" mentality might only be a relatively recent thing, historically speaking. I could definitely be wrong about this, though.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if this is really a human belief so much as "a belief in the wealthier nations from the last century or two." I feel like the whole "the arc of the moral universe is long but bends towards justice" mentality might only be a relatively recent thing, historically speaking. I could definitely be wrong about this, though.

iirc the concept of "progress" in the Western sense is something that came with the Enlightenment, so it's ~350 years old at most. Before that if you asked an educated person they'd tell you that humanity's best days were behind it. The Romans cast a very long shadow. Of course if you'd asked a Roman they would have told you everything had been going down since the days of the Republic. And if you'd asked a peasant at any point they'd tell you it was a stupid question, because who even cares about which way humanity is going if you don't know whether the harvest will be enough this year?

It's certainly become a remarkably pervasive idea though, and I definitely agree that it's a factor in the post-End-of-History apathy we're struggling with. I curse that Obama quote every time I hear it, it's a rhetorical justification for doing nothing at all, like the man himself.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt6TCPfFQT8

Vote

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Chris Hedges pessimistic outlook and predictions on the US left always seem to come true for some reason.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

Congrats to DEMOCRATS FOR ISRAEL on helping to maintains the United States status quo as a pacified Israeli client state

I bet you think a shadow council of dark money elders is behind her win

Hmm antisemite?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

lmao Chris Hedges pessimistic outlook and predictions on the US left always seem to come true for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythOLteROK0

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

the craziest thing about chris hedges is he is insanely consistent and simultaneously he wrote an unverified, unsourced article for the NYT that was used to justify the invasion of iraq, lol

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Vomik posted:

the craziest thing about chris hedges is he is insanely consistent and simultaneously he wrote an unverified, unsourced article for the NYT that was used to justify the invasion of iraq, lol

Someone can be right about one important thing and wrong about everything else.

Like that qanon guy who slaps his own nuts real hard all the time. He's onto something there and the msm doesn't want you to know about it!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
let it be forever known that Black People Weren't Having No Bernie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h3Zx4bV0RE