Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

The Moon Monster posted:

A lot of my coworkers are of the "COVID is a hoax and Trump is going to retake the whitehouse and free Biden's child sex-slaves any day now" persuasion, but they were also hardcore birthers back during the Obama admin so it's really par for the course.

What industry? Thank god everyone i worked with hates Trump and conservative with a passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Arven posted:

It was brought up on like page two, but someone mentioned how these people have no hobbies and I really really think that's what is going on here. The pandemic cut people off from their actual hobbies, and even if their hobby was just watching TV they basically had no new content for a year. Watching fox news/youtube conspiracy videos became their hobby for lack of anything else to do, and it's fully consumed them. It's the exact same thing as people who get so into being a furry that they walk around in public with cat ears and a tail. Trumpism is a fandom. A quick google shows I'm not the first person to realize this, and holy gently caress it fits so well.

This has been a problem for years and years and decades that far predates the pandemic really

Let me tell you it's not because they're bored it's just because they're racist f****** assholes with a low IQ

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

It was brought up on like page two, but someone mentioned how these people have no hobbies and I really really think that's what is going on here. The pandemic cut people off from their actual hobbies, and even if their hobby was just watching TV they basically had no new content for a year. Watching fox news/youtube conspiracy videos became their hobby for lack of anything else to do, and it's fully consumed them. It's the exact same thing as people who get so into being a furry that they walk around in public with cat ears and a tail. Trumpism is a fandom. A quick google shows I'm not the first person to realize this, and holy gently caress it fits so well.

wrong. they are and always have been insecure and stupid losers projecting their ignorant fears outwards. it's less a "hobby" and more a "personality disorder"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lascivious Sloth posted:

What industry? Thank god everyone i worked with hates Trump and conservative with a passion.

Automated electronics testing, although most of the guys I work with are logisticians who could be in just about any industry. More to the point it's in the semi-rural midwest.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I work in IT and we had a guy that wanted to put a Trump poster in his cube and HR said no. Which is funny considering we are in Canada.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Opposite side of the coin here. My father was really to the right and worshipped Regan and the USMC for most of my early life. I spent the last few years correcting his false assumptions, allowing him to realize gay people are not evil, and taxes are good because IT'S HOW SOCIETY OPERATES.

It paid off and he is pretty left on a lot of things and actually stopped watching fox news and took up NPR.

He still owns a poo poo ton of guns and gets into fistfights but that is the marine in him and the lack of accountability for his actions.

Love the guy dearly so I just couldn't give up on him.

Hat I am sorry you have to deal with that shithead-in-law but it does always make for good reading when you post it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aerith Gainthborough posted:

Opposite side of the coin here. My father was really to the right and worshipped Regan and the USMC for most of my early life. I spent the last few years correcting his false assumptions, allowing him to realize gay people are not evil, and taxes are good because IT'S HOW SOCIETY OPERATES.

It paid off and he is pretty left on a lot of things and actually stopped watching fox news and took up NPR.

He still owns a poo poo ton of guns and gets into fistfights but that is the marine in him and the lack of accountability for his actions.

Love the guy dearly so I just couldn't give up on him.

Hat I am sorry you have to deal with that shithead-in-law but it does always make for good reading when you post it.

Owning a bunch of guns and getting into fist fights are cool and good, send him to the front lines of protests we could use him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Moon Monster posted:

semi-rural midwest.

Well there's your first mistake.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I understand why people don't support universal basic income now. Can you imagine these people with even more free time and energy, Christ

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I am lucky that my moms side of the family ha zero chuds and my grandpa in 2010 went around his retirement community door to door calling all the tea party folks racist assholes and that they were no longer his friends. My grandparents I guess were one of the few religious types that walked the walk despite having their own internal prejudices and old people fears (my grandma would visit me at school in NC and be amazed at how many of "the blacks" were around, but LOL with the last 4 years thats like a 1-10 on the overt racism scale). All my aunts/uncles and parents are pretty normal Biden Democrats which I'll count as a blessing after reading this thread. My dad who was a DC lobbyist for years has become kind of a nutty anti-vaxxer after lobbying for Pharma and learning their "dirty secrets" but even he got the Covid Vaccine despite trying to get me to not vaccinate my daughter. Really surprised me hasn't gone full fox news.

I apparently have some Texan cousins that are CHUDs but that side of the family is all black sheep that never talk, the running theory is my dad and his siblings covered up some crime and now never speak to each other. I guess its nicer that way.

Count your blessing I guess, glad to come from a "succdem" family that is at least Sane in a traditional sense.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

Owning a bunch of guns and getting into fist fights are cool and good, send him to the front lines of protests we could use him.

I wouldn't wish for the chaos that would follow.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
My friends and I grew up outside of Southeast DC in the 80's. Almost all of us were metalheads who used to go the D.C. Mall for "Rock Against Racism" and regularly fought the Nazi Skins. Fully half of them of now super conservative Trump fans and it just kills me. I look at some of them and I am like "You blew 8 roadies to get backstage at the Poison show back in the day but somehow this gay person over here who wants equal rights is immoral? Huh?"

I also have entire segments of my family who I do not speak to anymore because of that orange clown. I can't figure out if I am more annoyed at the ones who all work poo poo manual labor jobs and use all of the social programs like food stamps and medicaid but vote against anyone else being able to use them, or the family members who claim to not be Republicans but parrot every single thing being said on Fox News like they were guest hosting for Tucker while he is on vacation .

Who am I kidding? I hate them equally.

Shemp The Mighty fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 10, 2021

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Last year I met one of those redneck, guns-and-flags, monster-truck-daily-driver (with a BUTTSNORKLER sticker on the back) dudes and...he turned into one of my closest friends. He doesn't hate on people, but man he looks the part. He's just a sweet dude that wanted friends and fell in with us hippies, and it's been good for all of us. I wasn't really expecting to get along with him, and he wasn't expecting to get along with us, and it's been kinda amazing. I get to shoot cool guns and drink moonshine and go mud bogging, but unlike previous redneck experiences I haven't had to end the relationship over political/racial/LGBT differences.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

d0s posted:

in the space of a couple decades my currently mid-70s dad went from "I like the guy who will lower my taxes" to bland NPR listening centrist to becoming really intense about cops, republicans (and not left enough Ds),

This describes me, only mid 30s. Also, both my parents are chuds

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 10, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I festoon myself with rainbows so people don't mistake me for a bad person

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

I festoon myself with rainbows so people don't mistake me for a bad person

I'm a fat bald white guy with a big beard and sunglasses so people often mistake me for a CHUD until I start talking about how I'm upset at the protestors cause they stopped at burning down one police station.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

This has been a problem for years and years and decades that far predates the pandemic really

Let me tell you it's not because they're bored it's just because they're racist f****** assholes with a low IQ

Novo posted:

wrong. they are and always have been insecure and stupid losers projecting their ignorant fears outwards. it's less a "hobby" and more a "personality disorder"

You're both absolutely correct in that they've always been racist morons. However the entire republican party believing the conspiracy horseshit that they do now is absolutely a new thing, and I'm proposing that the fact they didn't have anything to keep their simple brains occupied for the last year and a half helped usher in their new beliefs. We have been heading that way since Obama took office, but covid hit the fast forward button. What we're seeing with them now is new to the last few years, as per the thread title, yeah?

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Arven posted:

You're both absolutely correct in that they've always been racist morons. However the entire republican party believing the conspiracy horseshit that they do now is absolutely a new thing, and I'm proposing that the fact they didn't have anything to keep their simple brains occupied for the last year and a half helped usher in their new beliefs. We have been heading that way since Obama took office, but covid hit the fast forward button. What we're seeing with them now is new to the last few years, as per the thread title, yeah?

i'm not buying that they didn't have anything to keep their brains occupied. they have access to all the same information as us. the crazy poo poo is more visible because of social media but it's been there for a long time. the boogeyman of the day changes but these people have been like this since before obama, if you were to trace it back to something recent i'd pick 9/11

do I think 2020 might have exacerbated some underlying personality disorders? fo sho

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Arven posted:

Demonizing people of color for generations et al is no different than buying into conspiracy theories. This is the logical extension of what happens when it's no longer frowned upon to say the bad words out loud

It was always there, the evidence is basically in years and years of justifying the vast amounts of machinations in place to solidify white males as the dominant power

Just as it still is being used for today

Red scares, war on drugs, it's all the same poo poo

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Arven posted:

A lot of our politicians are people who strongly support Israel specifically because they genuinely believe that once the Jewish people return to their land Jesus will come back. Within my own lifetime at least two of these people have been president. The GOP have always been a bunch of mush brain lunatics.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I can't even hang out with a dude I've been best friends with for 20+ years anymore because he's all about Trump and anti-vax/mask now and thinks COVID isn't a big deal (doesn't deny it, just thinks it's a cold).

I get the Trump thing because he's always just liked to be an rear end in a top hat, but the anti-vax/anti-mask thing baffles me because he's a loving germaphobe that buys hand sanitizer by the gallon and washes his entire body with anti-bacterial soap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

being an rear end in a top hat is dipping the same chip twice, being in favor of somebody with trump's human rights record is unforgivable imho

Good for you for abandoning that person though they are bad