Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

theenglishman posted:

Regarding the "end of the 21st century" stuff as discussed in the first video - there is actual debate over whether a new decade starts on year 20X0 or 20X1. It's one of those silly "is it a gif or jif?" arguments that can be very serious business for some people.
As far as I can see, it all has to come down to how they're named. So when you say "the 20s" that has to include all years in the relevant century that end 2n, eg. 2020 to 2029. Whereas if you say "the third decade of the 21st century" then that comes down to when the 21st century started - which is 2001 - so that would be 2021-2030. Same goes for centuries.
    The 18th century: 1701-1800
    the 1700's: 1700-1799
Millennia only really get referenced in terms of ordinal numerals, so the third millennium is always 2001-3000. Which is why the correct name for the big computer problem that everyone was concerned about in 1999 is the Y2k bug, not the millennium bug. It related specifically to the rollover to the year 2000, not the end of the millennium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fat Samurai posted:

Kiryu is bad at crimes.
More than that, he doesn't really seem to understand what the yakuza is. He's surrounded by all these guys who want to get rich and powerful by doing crimes, and he's like "I joined the yakuza to help people." He'll do crimes - no problem - but not for immoral reasons.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean, yes, he WILL do crimes, but most of what he does is entirely legal, depending on how limiting Japan's self-defense laws are.
Also depending on how much of what the player experiences is canonical. Is he actually stabbing, shooting and beating people unconscious, or are we supposed to understand that there was actually a brief scuffle in which no one was seriously hurt? The gameplay and cutscenes present two very different narratives.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I know there'd be a lot of things that would be surprising or unfamiliar if you'd been in prison for 18 years, but they've got TV in there, right? You'd know what a smartphone is at least.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pretty sure the brothel owner could just have told that bleach guy "You were here harassing me earlier today and you've clearly brought these guys to cause trouble, so no, I won't serve you or them. Go away." It's a private business. Plus, isn't their whole complaint that the cops know and don't do anything? So what are they expecting to happen once they bring in their evidence of her supposed restaurant not having any food? Who were they even going to take their complaint to?

But, if her cover story is being a restaurant, she really should have some food to serve. Like, keep some frozen meals on hand just in case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've recently come around on hankies. I used to be of the "carrying around snot rags is gross" mindset, but it's really not that bad in practice. And if you're carrying tissues instead, they're potentially much worse; if there's no bin nearby you have to put that used tissue back into your pocket and tissues are much smaller flimsier so you can't really roll them up so as to keep the soiled part from direct contact with your clothes. And tissues are basically one-use, so you either have to ration them or carry a whole pocketful, whereas hankies can be used several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

"Card sharp" and "card shark" mean the same thing.