Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:

What happens when your long-running franchise finally achieves mainstream success after 10 years, just as you've definitively wrapped up your main protagonist's character arc? You introduce a new one and do a soft reboot! Yakuza: Like a Dragon is the eighth mainline title in Ryu ga Gotoku Studio's Yakuza franchise, starring newcomer Ichiban Kasuga in a whole new saga.

On New Year's Eve of 2001, the Arakawa family of the Tojo Clan finds itself in dire straits - a high-ranking member of the family has murdered a lieutenant of a rival family. Ichiban, eager to repay his patriarch for everything he's done for him, takes the fall, and is locked away in prison for 18 years.

Upon his release, Ichiban realizes that the world has changed while he was gone and everything he knew has been turned upside down. Kamurocho, the traditional setting of the series, has been taken over by the Omi Alliance of Kansai, and his beloved boss is now the head of the Arakawa family of the Omi.

This will be an informative LP where I show off the main story and as much content as I can manage. I'm joined by my usual co-commentator sworn brother Jobbo_Fett, who has actually played this game so is not flying blind this time around. Even so, let's try to keep things spoiler free for this game and anything else in this franchise. Ichiban's story is pretty much a clean break from everything that came before, so people who haven't played any of the other games should be able to jump in without really spoiling much of the other games! If you do want to find out what happens in some of the other games though, we have done several LPs of other games in this series, which are linked below. As for this LP, we'll shoot for two updates a week. This game is incredibly long and we have a ton of ground to cover.

Chapter 01 - Light and Shadow

Chapter 02 - Bloody Reunion

Chapter 03 - The Town at Rock Bottom

Chapter 04 - The Dragon of Yokohama

Chapter 05 - The Liumang Man

Chapter 06 - Ignition

Chapter 07 - Geomijul

Chapter 08 - Bleached Black

Chapter 09 - House of Cards

Chapter 10 - Justice Tempered by Mercy

Chapter 11 - The Odds

Chapter 12 - The End of Yakuza

Chapter 13 - Coin Locker Baby

Chapter 14 - Passing the Torch

Finale - To the Pinnacle

Premium Adventure

April Fools' 2022 Update

Other Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio LPs we've done
Yakuza 0 (Cut commentary)
Yakuza Kiwami (Cut commentary)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 (Cut commentary)
Judgment (Cut commentary)

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

So you’re just skipping Yakuza3-6? Don’t blame you, Yakuza 7 is better than all of them put together. Enjoy yourself! I will enjoy watching. :D

I'll get around to those eventually, but I was just so enraptured by this game that I immediately wanted to get to work on doing an LP, just like with Judgment, haha. Since this game's more or less a soft reboot with few story ties to the original game, I figured I could give Ichiban a spotlight sooner rather than later.

Geemer posted:

I'm still on the fence wrt buying this game, mainly because of the combat system. Seeing it in action like this will definitely help me make a decision.

The combat system's got a few odd warts, since they pivoted to this genre like 8 months out from release, but its pretty fun if you're ok with a relatively basic turn based JRPG battle system. It reminds me a bit of Chrono Trigger's system.

Solitair posted:

Nani!? English voice acting in a Yakuza game!?

Judgment and Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise also had English VA! According to Scott Strichart, they had enough data to show that not having a dub was a significant barrier to entry, so they tested the waters with those two games and the reception was solid enough that they went for it here too! And they also have some improved animation tech that lets the models better match the English dialogue with mouth flaps!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm surprised it took until video 4 for the first Discord chat notifications. :cheeky:

Son of a bitch I thought I got em all. :argh:

Around here is where I realized that discord audio settings re: notifications are a lie and I made sure streamer mode was on before recording.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

A couple weeks ago I think? I definitely wasn’t on a kiddie bike but I could pedal backwards for kind of an emergency brake.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I just noticed that the "Cutscene ends at [timestamp]" boxes are all formatted to look like Dragon Quest text boxes and I just wanted you to know that I appreciate that. Also, I appreciate Ichiban's absolute brass in just walking up to the mafia and basically calling them losers for small-time crimes. Like, it's not "you're criminals and that's wrong" it's "you're criminals and you suck at it". How many bodies has Ichiban had to dispose of? It sounded he was speaking from experience.

Haha I'm glad someone caught the reference! I wasn't planning on having those markers but the idea to style a lot of the LP like Dragon Quest just would not leave my mind once it took root!

Either way, as a grunt for the Arakawa Family back in the day, I'm sure Ichiban's seen a ton of poo poo in his day and power jacking is just so patently absurd to him that he can't help but call it out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Edit: There was an update here but I'm gonna have to pull it down and reupload because it somehow didn't render with any audio?? Should hopefully be ready by tonight, if not then tomorrow!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you're not following the RE7 LP I'm running, then I'll make a similar announcement here, I'll be moving in the coming weeks so I'm not going to have as much time on my hands to produce LP content. We've recorded a ton of backlog for this LP so updates should still go up on a regular basis, but if I miss any days, then that's why. :v:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What was that sudden in battle costume switch though?

Just like with enemies suddenly becoming more menacing, Ichiban projects class outfits onto his party at the start of battles. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Nice nod to an infamous substory from a previous game in the series. That’s about all I will say.

I can confirm it’s possible to beat the game without using Poundmates that much. I did it on Normal difficulty only calling them once each to see the summon, plus emergencies and points where it felt plot appropriate (no spoilers). But it’s a good system nonetheless. Final Fantasy could learn a lot from its brief cutscenes and reliable effects.

I've played the game twice now and, outside of the demonstrations I've shown in the LP, I've only ever really used Poundmates once so I can also confirm that the game's doable without them! :eng101:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apologies on this being late, I was busy through the day and this slipped my mind.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apologies for forgetting to update yesterday, I want to say I was busy around the usual time, but I spent my lunch break yesterday just playing around with Premiere and seeing how I could make editing more efficient for future projects. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Doing this a day early because I'm going to be very busy tomorrow.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Wonder why you're avoiding Seagull Cinema.

We'll get there eventually, I think I just wanted to get to a specific point of Chapter 5 before cutting loose with sidequests.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As always with videos with Karaoke, check out the cut version to hear the song without any SFX!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Couldn't help but notice that you cut out the karaoke score there.

I'm probably not going to present the minigame part of the Karaoke moving forward, tbh. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012