Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Sure, just don't make me the creepy clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sub Rosa posted:

Observer place thx

Play with us :ohdear: I enjoyed your reads in sombers game :)

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Bifauxnen posted:

This is extremely tempting but I could use a small mafia break of at least just like, one week

I told myself that too and yet here I am.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Everyone gets a dayvig, go crazy

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Plastic who are your mason buddies?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

PlasticAutomaton posted:

##vote: IA

Get your rear end in Discord, motherfucker

So you can talk to your scumbuddy? :allears:

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Somberbrero posted:

i just wanted to say again that i have a power role in case that didn't register for anyone or you forgot since i said it last

Is that still you steak?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm ignoring work by thinking about what fast food mascot would represent scum, that raising cane's dog probably fits right?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Snooze Cruise posted:

i just woke up hows it going im not going to read anything i missed

Good news, you haven't missed much

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Somberbrero posted:

Naw I feel bad even if it would be funny ##unvote

You're not allowed to unvote from a turbo, it's against the law or something.

I'm going to ##vote steak because last game we were in he lurked around and he was the SK so I'm sure that's the case again, I feel it in my frosty bones.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mr. Steak posted:

glancing up a few posts from recent, maerlyn also weird for seriously voting me on an sk suspicion

You've played mafia more than me, surely you understand a joke vote unless this is a normal reaction from you?

Your vote on plastic does interest me though because you don't mention him AT ALL in your following posts, just somber for the most part.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mr. Steak posted:

what do i find scummy about over-explaining a vote which is sk-hunting and then later backpedaling on that vote....?

gee idk

I'm often accused of appearing scummy so I don't care, but being scummy for a "serious" vote on someone who hadn't even posted in the game yet is a new one. So keep grasping at those (disposable) straws I guess.

Merk posting jokingly makes me uncomfortable for some reason. I know it's early so there's not a lot to go on yet, I'm not reading him for it but it's not behavior I'm used to seeing from him.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

something about this post pings me, Merk is joking around and that’s enough for you to build up suspicion on him?

I didn't say I am feeling suspicious towards him, I've only played with him a couple times but he doesn't usually joke around a whole lot. It's not an indication of his alignment, just an observation.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

Then honestly this feels bizarre too, why even mention it?

Why should I keep it to myself? I know most of you have played with merk a lot so you know his meta better than I do. I'm still developing that so I noticed something different to me and commented on it. I'm not sure why you seem to feel bothered by it though.

Mafia edit: or putting words in my mouth by saying he's being "aloof"

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

Hey guys Somber is being slightly more jokey than usual.

I mention this for virtually no reason beyond being seen to be observing it.

You're right, I'm sorry, I'll interact with the thread in more townie ways such as...*checks notes* RPing as another player or from inside a Chucky Cheese. /sarcasm

I'm not sure why you have an issue with me (considering the person I was talking about thought it was a townie post) but if you're gonna vote me then do it. Since I know you love my pointless observations I will say you appeared more aloof as town in our last two games, and that's not the vibe I'm getting here. The attempted linking with poopacy is interesting too:

Sandwolf posted:

What exactly are you with, with Maerlyn? The observation that merk is being a little more aloof?

I'm not sure about the poopacy votes, he doesn't seem as gung ho as town as he was in sombers game but I'm not a fan of some of the bandwagon votes either. Toal's vote jumped out as odd especially, if they want to explain their thought process:

Toalpaz posted:

the least earnest post of them all, ##vote poop

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

Maerlyn I basically just asked you because it seemed like a somewhat noncommittal statement, so I asked if you were indicating suspicion or not. You said you weren’t, which felt a little odd, so I pressed you on it.

Now it just feels like you’re being a little overly defensive over what you yourself said was a simple observation. I think I caught you out with some unexpected pressure.

##vote Maerlyn

You didn't ask out of curiosity or just simple questioning, you lightly call me scummy:

Sandwolf posted:

something about this post pings me, Merk is joking around and that’s enough for you to build up suspicion on him?

I think you have a bit of an agenda here in your question or at least that's how I read it looking back, so trying to play it off as an innocent question after the fact is a stretch.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

Okay but my point is merk it feels like a weird reticence to derive *anything* from it. It feels self conscious and overly cautious, which is how I expect scum to act early on, especially if they’re a bit newer.

Tell me what you derive from (as someone who has played with merk often):

merk posted:

Jokes on you. You almost turboed scum

merk posted:

What’s ^

Since apparently I'm expected to make an alignment call, or just stay silent?

Somberbrero posted:

A honeypot of insincere posting that we'll spend far more effort than needed dissecting in the day to come.

Is that still you steak?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm ok with a poopacy vote.

##vote poopacy

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

He really went for broke as town in somber's game and I'm not seeing the same effort here.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Idle Amalgam posted:

I guess I should get caught up now. Is joke phase already over?

How's that catching up going?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

PlasticAutomaton posted:

That seems pretty in line with Somber's game though.

Town poopacy in somber's game had some wild theories about scum pairings and was a lot more engaged/active.
Here he's voting merk because merk read himself but voted Toal? It's weird, I actually thought he was joke voting merk at first but he's just doubled down? I wondered if he even actually read what merk wrote/didn't realize merk was reading himself or something but either way he's not scumhunting.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Voodoofly posted:

##vote steak

Mr. Steak posted:

trap sprung
##vote voodoofly

While we're asking for explanations someone tell me what this dumb "trap" thing steak posted is about too.

the holy poopacy posted:

as opposed to everybody else, who is either

1. lurking
2. bitching about me being stuck on merk
3. being obvious scum (merk)

there's hardly any scumhunting going on period because it's a pretty low content game. i'm just rattling some cages here (and it worked, I got one)

Who else do you think looks scummy? [PS: I'm not sure if you are a fairly newer player here but I don't think you can really rattle merk's cage]

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Toalpaz posted:

This is perhaps the easiest game of mafia I've ever seen.

Kill poop,

Kill b-,

Kill somber,

Join my game.

Somber beat me to it but I don't see where he fits in here, I have a townie vibe for him so far.

I'm meh on poop right now but other than him I'd vote sand, maybe binus? There's a lot of people hanging back so far.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I desperately want to edit that last post so I don't repeat the same ending twice like a goober, alas...

Hal Insandenza posted:

Ahhhh I want merk to be the scum this game so much

Maerlyn has some scummy stuff too, never a fan of this:

somber/merk/maeryln is where I am at right now

Asking people to share their thoughts is scummy now?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Sandwolf posted:

What’s your feeling on binus from?

Toalpaz posted:

This is perhaps the easiest game of mafia I've ever seen.

Kill poop,

Kill b-,

Kill somber,

Join my game.

Based off of Toal's post (I said I would maybe vote binus) but after going back and looking at binus' posts again I'm back at neutral...his posting style feels interchangeable whether he's town or scum so he's hard for me to read. I thought his earlier vote on poop felt bandwagon-y (I tried to confirm this in votefinder just now but it's down).

Hal Insandenza posted:

Yes if you do it by snarkily quoting an earlier post and subtly shading someone without mentioning how you actually feel about IA not following through

I wasn't being snarky (not intentionally) or throwing shade at IA.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mr. Steak posted:

##vote poopacy

tbqh i would be hard-pressed to give a confident alignment call on poopacy right now, especially because many of the people voting him are people i dont feel so great about them being town. however, one of the people voting poopacy is someone i have a strong town-read on and who i trust to have accurate reads. so sure

Mr. Steak posted:

actually nah, let's get out maerlyn instead though ##vote maerlyn

Is this one of those "let's see how she reacts" trap votes? I'm more interested in why you put the effort in explaining your vote on poopacy but not on me.

Also who do you have a strong town read on right now?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Trying to catch up with the thread before DnD starts:

Toalpaz posted:

it is unusual for town to see what amounts to a light case and be like

'these two are on opposite teams' day 1 when we have no flips and don't know anyone's alignment

##unvote

I don't see how it's unusual for town to agree/disagree with a light case (I guess it's more like "I will/won't vote for this person today" but I don't find that anti-town).

the holy poopacy posted:

like I don't put a lot of stock into town reads D1 but sandwolf at least has been more willing to do footwork than anyone else so far

Besides our little spat earlier that's another thing that's bothering me about sand, I wouldn't describe his town game as high on footwork, he's usually what I would think of as lazy town and is content to sit back and comment on things instead of driving discussion. That's an observation over two games though so small sample size but I can't help but wonder if he did roll scumwolf here (I'm relying more on others meta here again).

b-minus1 posted:

I could get behind a sandwolf lunch if poop isn’t going to happen. If we lunch him and he flips scum that would pretty much confirm merk as town imo

Didn't you speculate earlier that the poop/merk fight could be a bus? So I think this is an odd thought.

b-minus1 posted:

I’m getting major scum pings from this post, could potentially be a bus

Poopacy has pretty much only posted about how merk is scum

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Idle Amalgam posted:

To poop's credit, I think they play like this as town.

As a player who is often embroiled in controversy for innocuous reasons, I'm not feeling it and I think scum are trying to push this case, but I don't have scum pings from you specifically.

Agreed on poop and how IA put it, it was bothering me but I couldn't think of a way to express it that made sense. He started off kind of odd but I think I can make sense of it now compared to our last game where we kind of blew past joke phase. I think poop and merk are both the type to latch on when they think they've nailed scum, poop had these weird braggy posts about himself, this is a lot of words saying he's coming across as his paranoid town self. Whether or not that's also his scum game remains to be seen but I wouldn't vote him today, I'd like to see his other arguments besides what he thinks about merk.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Alright, gently caress it. I hate day 1s, but let me start putting some actual thought into the game.

I need to reread Plastic's words here (I did agree with some of it) but it bugs me that he had to be dragged out to post.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Merk flip flopping? Is this the twilight zone?

I need to go back and hit on some prior posts but I opened the app and saw these two votes from merk. I was thinking about it last night during DnD and wanted to ask merk about his thoughts on steak because he's been strangely silent on him (with steak generating so much conversation I expected some thoughts from merk but he's been awfully quiet where steaks concerned). The last game where I played with merk and steak merk nailed him early as scum/SK so it's apparent to me that he can tell when steaks posting is off but I don't think he's mentioned him at all.

granted I may have missed it so I'm going to go back and reread now...I'll be around for deadline.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Voodoofly posted:

Paging minus the slip doctor. Is this entire post presupposing steak is scum but merk is scum because he doesn’t see it?

That's an interesting take...I don't know how asking merk about his different votes (poop, plastic, steak then back to poop) and then this weird post (considering the fact he hasn't posted a case on steak) indicates a slip from me:

merk posted:

Steak's vote on Maerlyn is super bad. If I go there, that's the reason.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

In fact if YOU think I slipped maybe YOU explain it instead of asking binus to do it for you?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

prefer steak (was just getting ready to post something and saw the preview:

##vote steak

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Votecount for Day 1

the holy poopacy (5): merk, b-minus1, Toalpaz, Somberbrero, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Maerlyn, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Toalpaz, merk, b-minus1, merk, b-minus1, Toalpaz, Voodoofly, Maerlyn, Mr. Steak, Voodoofly
Mr. Steak (4): Maerlyn, Voodoofly, Maerlyn, Idle Amalgam, Toalpaz, Idle Amalgam, Hal Insandenza, merk, merk, Toalpaz, Voodoofly, Maerlyn, Voodoofly, the holy poopacy
Somberbrero (2): Hal Insandenza, Idle Amalgam, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, PlasticAutomaton, Hal Insandenza, Mr. Steak, Idle Amalgam, Idle Amalgam, Mr. Steak
Toalpaz (1): merk, merk, Snooze Cruise
Maerlyn (1): Sandwolf, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
merk (1): the holy poopacy, Somberbrero, Referee, Voodoofly, Somberbrero, Voodoofly, Referee, Referee, the holy poopacy
PlasticAutomaton (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, merk, merk
Idle Amalgam (0): PlasticAutomaton, PlasticAutomaton
Voodoofly (0): Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
b-minus1 (0): Voodoofly, Voodoofly
Sandwolf (0): Somberbrero, b-minus1, b-minus1, Somberbrero, b-minus1, b-minus1
Hal Insandenza (0): merk, merk

Not Voting (1): t a s t e

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is August 12th, 2021 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 22 minutes.

Are you loving it?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm not interested in voting somber and I don't think it's going to get there in an hour, but enlighten me?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Toalpaz posted:

I don't know about steak's scum meta exactly, but scum have to care more about themselves because if they die their team is much less powerful.

Mr. Steak posted:

at this point, self preservation is the more rational move i think ##vote poopacy

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Taste has at least mentioned he's sick and came back to put a vote in. No idea what the gently caress Snooze is doing but that's for another time.

Anyways, I am a man of my word and will not be voting Steak.

I hope you're joking...I guess you have 17 minutes to change your mind.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

We're cutting it really close, just hammer and we can see if he was being honest about his claim at least.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

b-minus1 posted:

Come on guys. Do you really think you would have moved your vote if he had claimed vanilla?

I do have to say I'm glad steak at least didn't claim something mainstream (cop/doc etc) and risk another player outing their role. That leads me to something else though:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Is Steak just pathologically incapable of an honest role claim? :psyduck:

Why did you basically promise you wouldn't vote Steak if he claimed? I don't understand that logic, especially if you think he's scummy enough to be voting for him in the first place and it's potentially putting town in jeopardy of a no lunch when we need that info. It looks pretty scummy (if poop and steak are both town then it wouldn't matter who you are voting for and potentially "innocently" causing confusion).

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm not feeling the votes on IA or Ref, I've had townie vibes on both so far but I'll look again. Merk's vote on IA is unusually weak to me (IA "laughed" about toal's execution and he hasn't done an analysis 1 hour into D2?) Am I finally getting to see scum merk?

I feel like Merk is bouncing around with votes looking for something to stick/be picked up by others so he can sit back and redirect if he needs to...force of personality like Hal said, he doesn't really need to put in as much work to sway people. He had a godawful reason for voting steak or considering voting steak, including the fact that he barely mentioned him except in his case with Plastic.

merk posted:

Steak's vote on Maerlyn is super bad. If I go there, that's the reason.

It just feels really bizarre and doesn't mesh with what I've seen from town merk previously.

Preview edit: at least I'm not totally crazy ##vote merk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm still suspicious of sand, the sand/merk thing D1 really didn't go anywhere, perhaps some light distancing but I'll see how things play out.