Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
You have to look at kata as the theoretical and technical display of the different techniques being taught. Bunkai being the understanding of what the kata is trying to teach so it can be applied in an actual fight.

The kumite is taking that theory and applying it to trying to push another human's teeth down their throat.

BJJ would be cool to see, but it's about as applicable "in the streets" as any other martial art, because you try to pull guard and a man stamps your skull in while you lie on the ground because no one ever taught you to throw a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Seeing as striking is expressly forbidden in BJJ, yeah. It's incredible in conjunction with other martial arts and loving terrifying which is why it's great for MMA with kickboxing added to it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Do you own a sword?

edit: oh btw, like 75% of fights out in the wild go to the ground. I'd like to know how to get on top of someone and start beating the poo poo out of their face than to just be a pure striker.

Like I say, BJJ is loving terrifying in MMA and not getting your poo poo wrecked if you're on the ground is really important. I wish I'd done more of it before my knees decided to dislocate themselves before anyone touched me, never mind anyone actually good at it.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, that's fair. MMA got rid of so much bullshit. I did karate and kickboxing and a tiny amount of BJJ before my body just poo poo the bed.

I enjoy kata for the technical skill involved but it's far from the most exciting thing in the world, I hope the kumite isn't also shite.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 5, 2021

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

For me, 90% is getting The Fear when I do anything with my knees because the ligaments are hosed and I can't afford to take time off for surgery if it all goes wrong again. That and one total shitlord at the gym I was at loving about with my leg in ways I did not enjoy at all.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Pretty much. As it's become more of a sport over martial art it's about control as much as anything else. It's been over 20 years since I did any competition though so I'm completely out of the loop with rules these days.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The British guy I've got as commentator isn't too bad, really knows his stuff but it's not rivetting commentary.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Karate Combat still better :colbert:

Is that the one Bas Rutten is involved in?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah. They also brought in GSP and Lyoto Machida. Surprisingly real good fights.

That's cool. I thought the ring looked weird as gently caress but I've watched a bit of it and it's cool.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah, that's true. Stops guys holding on to the cage as well I guess.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

This has been much more watchable than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Yep, we were always told to actually hit the person as lightest touch wouldn't be counted. This was 20ish years ago though so I'm totally out of the loop with things these days.