Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

So karate is a new sport this year and it just started and is on live right now. I don't know anything about the rules but right now they're doing kata (forms, a display of punches and kicks and stuff, sort of an art). I think kumite (sparring) is later but I heard the rules are terrible.

So let's discuss the karate games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I had hoped the kumite would show something that overcame my skepticism but its as silly and arbitrary as I figured it would be.

Has it been on already? nbcolympics.com is showing that the women's karate just started at 8pm CDT. The first karate match of the games.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

What I don't get is that katas were all preset when I ever did them. You had to learn a certain one or two per belt. They get more advanced as you advanced. You had to learn the ones that already existed. Like a dance. Do these people make up their own?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Well that's loving boring. Anyone could do these. Anyone had to do these to get their next belt.

They are pretty drat fast though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I forgot to post this, which is the movie that the thread title came from. The song in the movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I believe at one point one of the announcers said part of the technical score is how convincingly they defeat their imaginary opponent which, lol

That's not how you defeat someone.

I was in karate and TKD as a kid and one week of kickboxing showed me how much I would have gotten my rear end kicked in a real fight.

So, in TKD and karate.... when you punch with your right hand, you pull your left hand back to your hip, completely opening yourself on your left side.

In kickboxing, when you punch with your right hand, you put your left hand up to the left side of your face to block any punch or kick that comes that way.

Traditional MA is basically bullshit in real world applications. I admit that it's fun though and I really liked learning the forms and stuff. I loved getting the belts. In kickboxing and BJJ (Ben Rothwell taught me) it's not easy to get a new belt. gently caress it's super hard to get a belt in BJJ. It takes like 3 years just to get your second one after your white which you buy when you sign up.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 5, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

TKD was one of the worst olympic sports I've seen this year. It's just absolutely awful. Two people doing side kicks back and forth for a few minutes, their hands down at their sides not protecting themselves, and getting points for light kicks and just about zero punches to the sensors. Just terrible. And I did TKD for 3 years and was just under a brown belt.

I really enjoyed TKD (until I discovered weed) and I was really loving good at it. But watching it is so loving boring and unexciting.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

No, my school was very involved in competitions and we took every medal every time. I didn't compete though due to my crippling anxiety. I probably would have done excellent.

edit: also our grand master could barely speak english and there is a great pic of him at 70 years old doing a flying jump kick. His son, our master, was a loving business man, but was also very good.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 5, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Watching judo was awesome. Those people loving fight.

BJJ should be in the olympics but I guess it's a bit boring to watch because it's so technical that you have to have a good understanding of it to realize what's happening and who is actually winning.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MMA should totally be in the olympics. Those people are at the absolute height of physical performance. But it's probably too violent for the general mass.

BJJ is 99% on the ground so it's a different world than olympic judo. In judo it's all standing and throws. They get like 10 seconds on the ground to pull off any sort of submission. BJJ is 99% about submissions, but of course positioning which can be judged.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh I agree, I just was quoting the current Olympic committee argument against it

Ugh.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This kata poo poo is boring me now. I want to see some fights.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vaders Jester posted:

You have to look at kata as the theoretical and technical display of the different techniques being taught. Bunkai being the understanding of what the kata is trying to teach so it can be applied in an actual fight.

The kumite is taking that theory and applying it to trying to push another human's teeth down their throat.

BJJ would be cool to see, but it's about as applicable "in the streets" as any other martial art, because you try to pull guard and a man stamps your skull in while you lie on the ground because no one ever taught you to throw a punch.

Do you own a sword?

edit: oh btw, like 75% of fights out in the wild go to the ground. I'd like to know how to get on top of someone and start beating the poo poo out of their face than to just be a pure striker on their feet and not know what to do when it hits the ground.

I came straight out of Marine boot camp and thought I could gently caress anyone up. We all got drunk at a house and my friend fought me and he immediately took me to the ground and I had nothing in response. I could have gouged his eyes or swallowed his balls or something but I couldn't do that in a real fight unless it wasn't a dirty terrorist. He owned me. Most fights go to the ground, learn how to fight on the ground.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 5, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This thread moves fast, I can't get my edits in on time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BJJ can actually be a decent martial art if you have a bad knee. It doesn't take much contact. When I was at my last place there was a guy with a big outside knee brace. But a lot of BJJ is just chess so you don't have to be super hard all the time.

edit: that depends on your gym type. Ben Rothwells is pretty much a family gym.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah I don't think it'd be easy but I just saw the one guy with it. If I had knee problems I absolutely wouldn't do BJJ lol. I can't some stuff due to a.... vertigo type.... thing I guess. I can roll but I can't do some of the warmups like the jumping summersault. I'll stand up and fall over.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I don't get it. There is no force behind it. Is it just sparring where you pull everything?

Scoring points I guess.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ok well these guys are doing something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I have to say this is far better than TKD so far.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The commentators have no idea what to say. There is no history of this lol.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm kinda getting into this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Overall I liked it. FAR better than TKD. Although I think they're trying to fool the judges a bit with yells. They'll yell and just stop fighting because it seems like they think they scored a point and then the ref stops it afterwards. So I think they're milking that a bit.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rarity posted:

TKD is better than judo and karate imo cause at least in that the scoring makes sense

:wrong:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I tried watching TKD this year and just couldn't do it. All they do is drop their hands at their sides and dance around throwing the same kick back and fourth. Couldn't believe how boring it was.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah. That would be super cool.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Karate is on right now again. Kata atm. Kumite will be on later I'm assuming.

I don't mind kata. I really enjoyed doing it when I was in TKD. Just doing your best to master a series of moves. I thought it was fun and liked getting everything as smooth as I could.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Come on karate thread it's live right now. Get into it.

I'm gettin' drunk and probably high soon so let's get this train on the rails.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ok so yeah, the kata is kinda boring.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The commentators have no idea what to say. There is no history of this so they're just trying to comment on what they see. This is all brand new. So they are silent for a lot.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I'm watching a recap on the USA network. KSA kicked the IRI guy in the head and knocked him out. He wasn't moving for quite a while and they took him off on a stretcher.

KSA got disqualified for kicking too hard and IRI got the gold medal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This sucks. I keep comparing it to TKD which is just leagues apart. But it's still not up to where it should be like judo or boxing where you just give it your all. The rules are holding them back.