Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't get it. There is no force behind it. Is it just sparring where you pull everything?

Yup. You're penalized if you injure your opponent in kumite.

Kata is a show of artistry and discipline but unless you play it yourself you'll have no idea what you're looking at, so it's not much for watching. Ditto poomsae, the TKD equivalent. Demonstration versions of both sports would be flashy and exciting and completely indistinguishable from each other and impossible to score; at that point it's rhythmic gymnastics with splinters.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I tried watching TKD this year and just couldn't do it. All they do is drop their hands at their sides and dance around throwing the same kick back and fourth. Couldn't believe how boring it was.

Competition TKD has the potential to be exciting but the meta has become sooooo loving dull because most of the permitted techniques have more sensible counters, so you're limited to side kicks, 180 hook kicks to the back of the head, or stealing points with straight punches, which nobody ever does because it only scores one and the other guy's going to do the same thing. It's not even a "it's different if you play it yourself" cause I had a hard time sitting through it too. Of course their hands are low because head punches aren't allowed (them's the rules), and blocking a kick to the head with your arms would be stupid when you can just move or get your leg in the way. Leg blocks aren't allowed either, but if you just so happen to be kicking at the same time...

Bring back kyung-go penalties and make it a deduction to clearly initiate a clinch, or to be attacked first, and open it up a bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Olympic karate is not a combat sport, it's a close-range somewhat-contact artistic display, which is why it is being swapped out in 2024 for breakdancing

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Would olympic sponsors be okay with a full-force kick to a competitor's unprotected head?

(I'm under no illusion that a TKD competitor could not already do this, but for the fact that he has literally no reason to)