Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal

podcast recommends! i feel like i'm all out. here's a few i like:

john roderick podcasts. i've been listening to him for many years. road work and roderick on the line. Conversational podcasts, nothing conceptually too catchy about it but he has a uniquely insightful brain when analysing people's behaviors, motivations, and needs, individually or as groups, just like a great modern novelist does. his rapport with merlin mann in ROTL is fun.

true crime podcasts: after a long time listening to them i realized the most popular ones on itunes are loving terrible, my favorite murder the worst among them. the trail went cold is a good, pretty dispassionate rundown on crimes by a guy with a real dorky voice. trace evidence is also not bad but it can go long, and the guy can be a little poetic during the intro, but he shows a lot of compassion and gives a lot of attention to the victims, who are often kind of ignored as anything other than bodies. I would prefer to listen to a female host for this kind of podcast, given the nature of the content, but these guys do okay.

miscellanea podcasts: futility closet is good for the 'brainy' category of things, mostly historical oddities and a weekly puzzle. american hysteria is basically spoken essays by one woman, who puts cultural freakouts in historical context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal

your friend sk posted:

sticking with max fun, Judge John Hodgman? i also like Jordan Jesse GO! and Stop Podcasting Yourself for general comedy chat shows

the way i remember stop podcasting yourself is that they were the opposite of gross, kind of uniquely

Mescal

treasure bear posted:

apocrypals - two non believers read through bible and apocrypha and try not to be jerks about it. it's really interesting they get into how stuff was put together and make jokes

I wasn't expecting to hear about that one here, or anywhere. Benito is cool! from time to time i ask him for help with Latin (his latin is better than you would expect) or about points of biblical whatevers. The silly stuff in that podcast gets me fast forwarding sometimes, but i love it. he has no ideological/theological bias that i can tell, and he doesn't have any academic skin in the game either since he's not a professional academic--it's so hard to find somebody to trust in the area of biblical studies.

that james bond one sounds good too, i'ma try that