Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bump

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

(Oops. Anyway.)

Everyone: One way or another exhaustion or a need for maintenance takes you. Once the escape pod is airborne you're ushered through to medical.

: "EPA suits on! Clear the halls! I need doctors, now!" Your contact from the rescue ship radio, Simon, tries to get some infection control decorum going as onlookers and confused refugees are shooed out of the way, doors are sealed and suited members of House Ariness fall in to provide proper aid. You've still got a small military to your name.

---

Later Music (SMT 4 - Barracks)

Only Penelope is spared the barrage of tests and mild exploratory testing done to determine the extent of your infections. Simple environmental protection prevents spontaneous infection. Luckily, these little parasites are identified as very mild and even close to benign. It's possible they could even share positive benefits with their hosts... however, it's agreed that the more an infection builds, the more undesirable things could happen.

Even SEBASTIAN was subject to mild contamination by both the nanites and an invisible to the eye fungal spread, red and with worm-like tendrils when examined under a microscope. There's not been discovery of what happens if too many nanites take a host but you've got a fair idea of what happens if the worm gets too far gone.

: "Fascinatin' stuff. In small doses the robots could make a person better, like it sharpens their nerves n' tones up the muscles. Even the red worm's not too bad... spurs cellular regeneration, even past what humanoids can do." Those of you resting in beds are greeting by a sign of your all-clear status: no EPA suit. Penelope is allowed to remove hers as well!

The fella in most of a spacer suit and an informal hat atop that sets a metal case on the table and pops the hinges open, showing off something fresh off a 3D plasteel press. A set of four disinfectors. "Ah, good to meet you, and thanks for the compliment earlier, Miss Bella. I'm Simon of Ariness, ah, no family and all, happy to serve.. but again, it's real fascinating. At a cellular level none of these guys have any real clue what they're doing, so they follow almost any cue you give 'em." He shows off one of the disinfectors used previously in the lab, a basketball sized magnetized frame around a glass-looking containment pod. "You apply a charge, they go down this.." He outlines the frame with a finger, then points to the air-tight seal. "It inserts, detaches with most of 'em and you should be clear without further exposure as your body fights it off. I guess the ah.." He looks to all of you, rubs the back of his head, and can't help but let his eyes drift skyward as though he were trying to find the subject of his next sentence. "Well, I guess Imperial did testing and declared it safe enough."

: "We've got coordinates from the other ships and we'll arrive within the hour. We lost your buggy but not a single person. We can't thank you enough, really!"

Everyone clears Exhausted/Winded, Infections and other time cured conditions and hits Level 4!

Party gets 4x Disinfectors.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 24, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Cpt. Penelope

Penelope is silent, and respects the sterile environment by dumping her cig ash out of sight. She's glad everyone is alive, and she's in one of the most powerful positions a junior officer can be in Vular society: Able to tell everyone "I told you so!" but also smart enough to not actually say it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 4 | Conditions: None | Insight Tokens: 1

Drazyn has been, in his modest opinion, a model patient so far. He has barely wriggled from the tickling machinery that held him tight and purified his arteries and respiratory system of nanites, he hasn't flirted particularly outrageously with any of the medical staff, and he has only inquired about Lulu's health and state and behaviour about once every hour, which is a rather reasonable rate of asking after one's pet... right? Yes, probably. After all, the poor dear JUST had her whole routine throw out of whack, not to mention having to deal with a sudden and scary change in environment!

(Combat, on the other hand, was not particularly stressful for Lulu as far as Drazyn had observed over the years. If anything, she used to relish the occasional hunt for live prey in her enclosure back on the Sominaia. Ah, fine memories of watching her chase after screaming political prisoners from the safety of the observation deck... somewhat tempered by the fact that Drazyn had come an hair's width from becoming a political prisoner to be executed in a, presumably, just as horrifying manner.)

He rises from the hospital bed he was laying on, resting on his elbows to look at the newcomer. "I wish I could make a joke about your priorities, Simon, but in truth I'm just as interested in the unusual fauna of this place as you are. I fully intend to study them properly when we have the time and resources." He hops off the bed and stretches his arms upwards, arching his back at the same time, shaking off the hospital doldrums. "You're welcome, quite welcome, of course. I don't suppose we have any news from the other ships? No run-ins with the local crawling fauna, I hope?"

Drazyn's eyes grow wide, as his own words remind him of something. "Ah! About that! Something of capital importance!" He grabs Simon by the shoulders, and smiles with a somewhat worrying intensity. "In the rush of battle, I said that I'd name the annelida we faced off against 'Tanian fangworm'. But that's not good enough! If we are going to be naming the beasts of this land, we need to come up with GOOD names for them. They don't even have fangs! It shall be 'Tanian fingerworm' instead, since they resemble fingers more. Do me a favor and write that down somewhere, Simon. It's for science! I didn't eat one of those for nothing, you know!"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 26, 2023

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.
Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 4 | Conditions: None

"They declared it safe enough? Well ain't that a loving relief." Narinth's husky voice oozes sardonically from her bed, where she's sitting up and resting, leaning back with both arms behind her head. "Wish they'd been down there with us so I could've shoved a fistful of worms down their troats, you know, to give them a chance to reevaluate before feeding them head first to the harvester." She snorts, then glances over to Drazyn, but from her expression does not seem to share his and Simon's particular enthusiasm in cataloguing the intricacies of this new alien species. "Why don't you write this down too, Simon: They die when you shoot at them. Fire seems to be particularly effective." She turns her head from side to side, looking around the room and the people in it. "Seriously though, I believe acknowledgements are in order. Well fought down there everyone. Got the makings of one hell of a squad here, however odd it may be. Little miss Empress is going to be sorry she crossed us."

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"That we did, just as important, we were able to move extremely quickly and secure the area and gently caress up anything that tried something, which is going to be extremely important. Getting the entire assault team to places asap is going to be critical, and we need to get some kind of hoverboat system up and working. This place is just too big to try to hump across it."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

Horrid creatures, swarming all over his body. Even though SEBASTIAN wouldn't feel the infection due to... Well, lacking a sense of touch, after all. SEBASTIAN detested the idea of those things crawling all over him nevertheless, so the disinfection was welcome nevertheless. "Wild Nanites... This planet seems to hold far more secrets than the Empire had ever imagined, it seems. This means that House Ariness must harvest and secure such resources as soon as possible, not as much as to strengthen our base, for the conflict that Lady Krodven reminded us is to come, but also to deny them from any future enemies. Further exploration and research must be undertaken, as fast and with big a scope as possible!"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

HP: 10/10 | AP: 2

"Well that was certainly exciting. I haven't had to go that hard in years! Going to need to dust off some of my more violent techniques if we're meant to be fighting more of those things more often."
She holds up a plasteel mess cup, focusing. It blips out of existence for a moment, then back in, faintly warped.
"Ah, still got it! And the spatio-temporal substrate around here is mostly typical."

She looks over at Penelope.
"I've found I can't typically 'spar' with allies, my conditioning doesn't really allow it, but perhaps we could go hunting? Make it a group activity, practice mobility, get a better understanding of the area, practice taking down large game?
"Also I think I mentioned before, but we absolutely need to investigate those other factions, to work out why the worm seemed so particularly able to bring such force against us yet not others. My first assumption is location, although that's likely to just lead to conflict and competition, if those factions have already settled the 'safe' zones."

~~~

Earlier, when Simon was first addressing them, she stared at him for a few moments, particularly at his hat.
"Ah... the mystery, the intrigue... it's gone. Hmph."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"Couldn't agree more Penny, but when the best they could scrounge up for us to rescue a full loving third of our colonists was some beat up Bumper, well, can't say I've got my hopes up very high regarding vehicles." She cracks a grin, "Heh, especially after we left that one to the worms."

As Bella suggests going for a hunting trip there's a glint of excitement in Narinth's eyes. "Now you're speaking my language. Ever gone skiing before? Excellent way to get around at a decent clip without power while avoiding getting bogged down by the snow at the same time. Figure scouting out the surroundings is going to be part of my ranging duties anyway, wouldn't mind some company."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella perks up at the mention of skiing, a glint in her eyes.
"Oh I have, it's such a delightful method of pursuit! Watching someone struggle to drag their legs through meter-deep snow, watching their quick breaths linger around, their throat hoarse and desperate from the cold, dry air, all while you can leisurely circle them? Exquisite. A hunting skiing trip would be a wonderful excursion, we'll have to slot in a time or two for it."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

"You're one brutal belle, Bella." Narinth chuckles. "Should be a good time. Looking forward to it."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

: "I got a lot more interested when you came back readin' positive for infections. Everybody from the colony ship is going to need answers to these things, especially the big ambulatory murderin' ones. Ah, the others are reporting no problems. That steward lady started cussing and I heard a gunshot when I had to tell her we lost that buggy you came in." Simon clears his throat after chatting with Drazyn and the rest of you, sharing a bemused look with Bella's pointed staring before giving into temptation and tipping his hat in a cheesy display. "Erm, right. Fingerworms. Ah, well, we'll have to make our own separate scientific archives for.. now.." He avoids the eyes of Drazyn, Reyla and Narinth at that remark and busies himself with some data entry.

---

Music (Rimworld - New Day)

Everyone: You're able to rest on the flight back but an hour of hard napping and medbay recovery isn't gonna do much more than set you up for aches and pains later. The sun is rising as you crest the hill and return to landing site! This third super-massive life vessel responsible for thousands of souls under House Ariness mimics the others, identifying a sizeable divide between hills and easing itself over. Hovering jets are engaged before terraforming lasers carve out a matching space beneath it so that it can land and achieve a relatively flat base, becoming moderately camouflaged as one of the hills itself, only a few black-brown technological hubs rising above the similarly murky terrain. This provides the most basic structures for work and rest for this impromptu colony, for now.

In truth a great deal of people, at least a few hundred are already out and about and working hard. Areas are being cleared, caves and spots by the river are being claimed and even crude farming outlines have begun. Although technologically advanced the sudden needs of thousands stretches tools thin, so everybody has scavenged what personal tools they can to start working on, well, whatever. Maybe they want to keep their minds clear in the aftermath of a sudden upheaval, maybe the needs of survival loom large before them. Or maybe it's those in charge marching about, yelling at full tilt.

: Colonel Mei is as likely to sit still as a badger is to take provocation lightly. She's about as active as a fighting one too, flanked by her dog as she patrols the river with a flank of four officials, four soldiers in Ariness uniform. She intercepts and chats with the occasional civilian, directing them to something.

: Jun-Jun is naturally guided towards and leads her over to your group disembarking, burying his snout in the sides of the party at random for friendly snuffling.

: "Well done! Those damned high houses and that WRETCHED GULGOS kept secret what maladies lurk on this planet! We've a laundry list of problems to tend to.. but.." She wrings her hands and sighs. "The second colony ship has been drafted for the heads of house and the smaller groups and tribes.. the elites, really." She shrugs and rolls her shoulders. "You can sleep in privacy, we've hot water, our cores won't suddenly fail." She adjusts her cap and shoots Reyla and Darzyn a very pointed glare. "But we are in dire straits. Enemy territory. We will need to draft a plan of action for these.. fingerworms and.. slavers, and Lady Below, we have to mask our presence from SomAI." She puts on a really big forced smile, truly trying her best to set you at ease. "But please, rest! We are safe for now. It will just.. ah, be an issue, when they make planetfall."

: "Mm, wouldn't she just track our ships.. our signals?" Reyla is as composed as ever, though cutting straight to the heart of the matter is equal part cold as well.

: "We've our own hackers, Mistress. And ah, this planet seems to generate a great deal of natural noise. It explains the slow scanning on our arrival.." Mei sneers. "Explains many things, and leaves us wanting to explain many more."

---

A chance to relax. As promised, you can get relatively modern rooms with temperature control, lighting, running water, warm food and cool beds. The prospect of an infinite array of survival problems looms before you, threatening to block your attempts to sleep!

: Passing by your group in the halls, Circa pulls Drazyn aside after speaking with Reyla. She's open to chatting with everybody along with him but he clearly caught her eye. Though she's still wearing her open shoulders, low-cut ball gown from when things went to hell she's had a chance to have her protruding cybernetics cleaned and maintained. Seems she was en route to actually bathing herself after that, but your group isn't in much better condition. "Cousin. Good job! Ah, listen. You seem.." Her eyes flit up and down him, clearly soaking something in with that gaze, and she smirks. ".. best equipped for our most important task. When you wake up come see me, we're overdue to do that the Empire couldn't." She sets her hands on her hips and straightens up, practically puffing her chest out. "First contact will be our honor! We've identified the city known as "Memanham."" She looks quite proud of herself and the prospect of beating the capital ship to something on planetside. "As you were!" She chuckles and delivers a spontaneous half wave to the rest of the group, marching off.

Of those left, Reyla and Circa are the most legitimate heirs of the household, with Circa being the eldest sister. Drazyn had been drafted in as a legitimate heir as well, though matters of relation via cousin can get testy in Vular society.

Everyone: You can put in last minute requests or meetings if you like but those beds are calling and calling awfully strongly.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 1, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

Penny takes the moment to get the hell away from everyone else. The primary benefit of being an officer, from her point, is not having to live with the people you work with all day. She slides up to Circa, "Hey babe, looking great. Docs said I managed to avoid catching worms this time, let's go elsewhere and see about this gunpowder and rocket fuel smell. Need to present a 'professional appearance' when we roll on and meet the local yokels."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

SEBASTIAN listened to Narinth and Bella's conversation with some annoyance. An utilitarian at heart, he didn't really like the idea of planning for leisure when there is so much work to do, especially at such dire circumstances! That is the Organic lack of discipline at heart. Unfortunately, he would have to 'rest' as well, at least for routine maintenance.

When Reyla and Circa joined them at the transport, Sebastian gave an obsequious bow, lowering himself before looming away from the two. "My Ladies. Know that as we speak I am preparing to ensure your new accommodations shall be as comfortable as possible in... This place. If there is anything I can do within my power, please do not hesitate to ask."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Bella stares at Simon, visibly perturbed. Literally, faint stink lines indicating perturbation illusorally shimmer around her head.
"Truly, 'fingerworms'? We're going with 'fingerworms'? Not the crimson creep or brainthreads or" <a gnawing, overwhelming, senseless hunger, a despairing hate filling your heart, telling you to eat them, eat the ones you loved, eat the ones that made you happy so they'll make you happy one last time> "or Mr. Friendly's Lucky Little Helpers? No, oh, it's the spindally clingally fingerworms."

She shakes her head, staring off into the distance.
"Fine, it doesn't really matter that... much... no. No. No!"
In a shocking and uncharacteristic display of passion, she glares back at Simon, shaking a bony, clawed finger at him.
"No! I'm not giving up on you. We are going to have a consultation, and we are going to get on top of this... this... this travesty! Not the flipping fingerworms, you, and you and me are going to have a talk and there are going to be changes, I mean big changes buster!"

Bella thrashes out of the bed, throwing covers off and slapping away an IV, idly tossing the disinfectors to the rest of the group with a psychic wave. One blanket slithers around her like a toga, strips and holes tearing their way through to steadily turn it into a robe.
"Alright, what rusty old corner of this thing have they set you up in? We need to take a good, hard look through your trunk, and then visit the fabbers, clearly you need some pointers on how to exploit low priority fab time, tune the formulae. I need to sift through the menus, see if I need to key some new ones in, queue up something for when we get back to the base. Everyone thinks it's all about hexamide but of course the admins mark that as a premium way above material cost, the idiot tax for junk even civilians have heard of, you can get cyclic-laced poly for astonishingly cheap because the components aren't any more complicated than regular poly itself and it's easy to synth and fab. Well, usually, actually maybe if the spinners are roughed up, might be a problem, cyclic can jam pretty easy. Seriously, though, why the hat? The scarf is interesting but the hat? Also, where's the medbay, I need to sift through the--"
And mercifully the door finally slams shut.

~~~

Later, Bella shows up in a shiny new (but noticeably much less armored) environmental suit, drifting into Circa and Drazyn's conversation.
"Yes, managing to establish first contact would be excellent. I've been emphasizing needing to figure out how they've been avoiding the worm's attention, but local allies are paramount. Drow are, no offense, notoriously prone to alienating their 'lessers,' so I doubt we'd have to worry too much about the main colony landing them as allies, but it would obviously be best to avoid fighting on yet another front."
She smiles, or at least there's a strong impression of one now that she's got a helmet on again, and nods at Drazyn.
"Although I'd be the first to admit I tend to fall flat when attempting to play a more hard negotiator and certainly can't take point, it would be a privilege to aid in smoothing out first contact. There's a certain technique I use when approaching new settlements, it allows me to often gain a sense of a locale's general tenor and certain details about power relationships, it's helpful for understanding who I should be focusing on, how to tailor my approach. For 'Memanham,' I'd say that... that..."

She trails off, suddenly much more subdued.
"Oh... oh my. Hm."

Using Psychic bullshit to attempt to commune with the people of Memanham, to take their measure. Rolled a 1, perhaps leading to the psychic connection getting hijacked by the Worm, and/or having a massively skewed interpretation of Memanham.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

"Bella, I admire and respect your approach to aesthetics, but I truly believe that to describe a beast that looks like a finger and feeds on humanoid flesh, 'fingerworm' is a good name. It's punchy, it's descriptive, it's got that-" Drazyn snaps his fingers "-pizzazz, you know? No offense, but "crimson creep" could be pretty much anything." The illithid seems much too shocked by the state of Simon's couture to press the issue, which is just as fine for the drow. He has a meeting to prepare for.

Paranoia is a deeply ingrained mindset within drow nobility, and nothing about Circa's behaviour and disposition has taught Drazyn to overcome that and trust her. So it is with a wary eye that, after a long shower, a well-earned rest and some time to fix up his look, he joins her and the rest of his family. It's not completely impossible that she finally started appreciating all the hard work I've been doing for the sake of this enterprise, I suppose.

He has Lulu come with him, of course. You never know.

He nods at Bella, who has returned from... whatever she did with Simon. Fixing up his look? Drazyn is not one to judge. "Oh absolutely. It'll be tough enough dealing with our former colony ship, we do not need more-" He stops. "Bella? What's wrong?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 5, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Bella

Halfway out the door, she pauses, glaring at Drazyn.
"Bah, fingerworms! If you wanted pizazz you could at least make it a little cosmopolitan, 'verdoua' or 'sormimato' or... or gone for something like the 'Tanian taenia,' maybe! And the crimson creep is a perfectly serviceable term for a creature that presents itself overwhelmingly as a swarming mass. Gah, we need to just identify and name the fiend at the center of all this, call them 'its fingers.' Xil'en-qe's fingers, the wormlord's fingers, the fingers of Ahra-dur, something like that. Hm. Simon, your trunk!"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

Narinth raises an eyebrow as Bella tears into Simon and subsequently storms out of the room. "...Did I say brutal? Guess I should've gone with batshit instead." She shrugs. Maybe she just needed some sleep.

---

As Circa comes brandishing diplomatic matters Narinth wrinkles her nose. "I'm more of a zeroth or second contact kind of gal. I'm gonna go turn in," she says and makes herself scarce. She'd spent far too many excruciatingly dull hours on Krodven's dime standing around looking imposing, dressed in parade uniform or ceremonial armor and displaying her shiniest decorations while some weaselly dignitaries prattled on and on. Ugh, sometimes she had even been expected to engage in small talk and tell war stories. She knew all to well how first contact usually went down when the Imperium was involved anyway, if they wanted to surprise her the ball was in Ariness' court.

She heads straight for her room and wastes no time at all getting into the shower. The hot water was just what she needed to truly unwind and soak away whatever adrenaline still lingered in her system. It had been a day and a half. Felt like she'd been on a constant combat high ever since they busted out of prison. Realizing where her train of thought was headed, she sighs. So much for a pleasant moment of relaxation.

Appetitive aggression, those were the words written in her psych profile at least. She wasn't well versed in the science, but she knew what it meant to her. It was that blend of euphoria and murderous rage she felt when tearing through anyone who stood in her way. That intense bloodlust which could justify absolutely any conceivable act of violence in the heat of the moment. It was that wrathful demon she had fled to a different galaxy to get away from, and the reason why she had distanced herself from House Krodven. She didn't feel any remorse for cutting a bloody swathe through an existential threat like the worms, but that kind of enemy had been few and far between in her long career. Dealing with the aftermath had gotten harder and harder as her deeds kept stacking up, and eventually she had grown disillusioned with the cause, which had made her question just what the hell she'd been doing all this killing for.

She had hoped to pick up whatever pieces remained of her soul and turn over a new leaf with House Ariness, to see what a meaningful peaceful life was like.

She hadn't even made it off the colony ship before it had all gone to poo poo...

"Gods loving drat it!" She slams her fist into the wall in frustration.

She takes a deep breath, turns off the tap, dries herself off with a towel and heads directly to bed.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Bella: Your verbal assault sets Simon on edge, hunching his shoulders like an alarmed cat!

: "W-w-we can discuss it! Ah, Four Below! Miss Bella, we can call it whatever we all like, we just met it! Not like it'll be gone tomorrow, we're not that drat lucky today!" He holds his hands up with palms out, hoping Bella keeps her distance. As Bella departs he calls out: "IT'S A GOOD HAT! WE'RE IN A COLD CLIME!" When Bella comes at him later he politely disengages. "Ah, we've all got to get some rest, you know?! I ah, could show you my trunk when I find it myself.. good night, Miss Bella!"

Later that night you commune and feel a red veil coming over your mental perception, voices whispering to you what countless denizens of the planet have experienced dealing with that city. You see vaguely humanoid silhouettes, they dress in flowing robes and cloaks are common, they offer friendly waves of the hand and big smiles but their hands are knives their fingers are sharp they always have two arms behind the back! Visages of multiple pairs of eyes gleaming with molten silver leer at you from above mandibles sized for stripping the flesh from bones, and indeed you can see piles of corpses gnawed clean, bones cracked to suck marrow out! The constant sound of mechanical fluttering and air buffeting can be heard like countless monstrous fans and there's dozens of those faces, moving about like a swarm. It's enough to give you a phobia about meeting the unknown tomorrow! The worm whispers that it can keep you safe but not if you go there, it can't go there...

You have a Blunder when dealing with Memanhamans! This will pass in time but for the immediate future you Treat a Roll of 1-2 as a 1 if the Skill check involves the aliens of Memanham in any way.

SEBASTIAN: Circa dismissively presses her entire palm to your face, physically touching briefly. The light shove is a tic present since childhood and the meaning unmistakable. Get lost.

: Reyla nods to your offer and gestures for you to follow her. ".. I'd like that. And we need to get your matrix synced with the pod. Nothing else can offer the power or maintenance."

Drazyn: Good lord Circa does the same to you. You are also familiar with this gesture from childhood, as cousins tended to be forced to get along before adulthood let them sever connections your parents tried to foster. Her palm feels cold and clammy, somehow. "We'll talk tomorrow."

Narinth: Yeah, Circa's not going to do that to you. She knows you'd break the hand. She simply smirks and quips. "You're a "first contact went wrong" kind of bulwark we can't do without. Rest well."

Later as you try to deal with your raw emotions you let the wall take the brunt of it. This prompts a hollow but mammoth pounding in response and a muffled bellow.

: "Keep it down, cousin! Do your screaming in the wilderness!" Ah, your recovering former adversary Gwendolyn, with all the grace and tact House Gulgos is known for.

Penelope: Having sent SEBASTIAN and Drazyn packing, Circa turns to Penelope and visibly seizes her by the shoulders, pulling her close for a mad grin and leading her down a hall.

: Immediately dropping posture and clinging to Penelope's arm for support, Circa practically wheezes. "As fun as it'd be to give you the kind of things you deserve.. I.. really need to rest.." She doesn't clarify or share but her emotional burden is clear when you're volunteered to be the little spoon for the night, Circa clinging to you like a stuffed animal.

But then again nobody gets to sleep in their beds on the ship, beds that were almost becoming familiar after a month. Let alone actually go home back to Vular home space. Circa grinds her teeth in her sleep.

---

Music (Rimworld - Moving On)

As the group rises and gathers in a communal area where food is being portioned out with a proper rationing system you're able to meet to plan the day with trays of just about tolerable honeyed biscuits and a combination meat and white sauce gravy over slices of fried something. Screams of military eats. Winfred and Mei bring things to your attention, Circa and Reyla there as well.

: There's even an old friend, missing a leg beneath the knee and walking with the aid of what looks like a mechanical strut repurposed as a crutch. Gwen is wearing the padding of her monstrous power armor you gradually destroyed, looking like another reminder of Vular military structure, if at least a comfortable and formidable one. She's eaten her meal in no time flat and has her arms crossed, her firm demeanor and forward stare to those speaking daring anyone to crack wise about the size of the portion.

: "Mistresses, Master." He defers to Mei, the sisters and Drazyn first, then respectfully bows his head to the rest. "As we are running the camp a bit.. piece-meal, I can change what we're doing to accommodate your desires. Right now we are making things ah.. passable, preparing long term farming, producing every day essentials with our printers. We'll need to address some problems that could grow worse, such as our long our initial supplies will last and.. ah, military concerns, as well as the.. locals." He clears his throat, adjusting his glasses and the stacks of documents he's got wedged under both arms.

: "It is inevitable we will be discovered! It is up to us to dictate how House Ariness deals with its foes. We will need to be prepared for Vular forces to one day threaten us, but the scum of this world and wildlife are terror enough. How shall we begin?" As Winfred spreads some proposed blueprints on the table Mei scares the hell out of him by quickdrawing her revolver and pressing the barrel to one, indicating what she thinks is the best bet. Well, she is a House advisor... !

: Jun-Jun snorfs and looks to the group with tail slowly wagging, hoping he can get some of the weird white-sauce meat.

: "Is this the best we can do? These luxuries are wasted if we're all dead."

: Reyla lets her fork rest in the middle of her half-eaten breakfast and looks over the options, staring Circa down briefly. "We can't do everything at once. Maybe we can trade for some of these things too. And think of how everybody feels... we can make them happier."

---

Everyone: You gain +1 Action Points and can Vote! Two choices! (I like the way Penelope did it, follow her lead.)

[ ] We should prepare weapons and train more of the citizens to grow our armed forces. Things will be hard for them but we need a proper defense. - Craft weaponry, armor, defensive standards and siege supplies.

[ ] The people are in a terrible state. We should ease their burden and make life here better, as well are shore up our supplies of food and medicine. - Craft tools, furniture, conveniences and farming/medical supplies.

[ ] We're outgunned, have no idea what's wrong with this rock, and if SomAI finds us we're badly out-teched. We can start making real killer apps, devise protection against Worms and Nanites. - Pursue advanced tech and protections from potent threats, one suggestion per vote welcome.

[ ] Other(Please be detailed in what you want to see the base work on!)

---

Leaving the camp too lightly defended could end in disaster. You could invite somebody along to lend their expertise to your next task, a diplomatic mission to the native city of Memanham. Even if everything goes perfectly with the locals you could be attacked while traveling!

: Mei is volatile and relentless, fearless and pragmatic. Between her sharpshooting prowess and Jun-Jun's training they excel at target elimination but neither are what you'd call "as resilient as Narinth."

: Circa can generate lightning and a whole mess of imperious, charismatic bluster. She's able to debilitate enemies, energize herself and seems to do well in any situation, if not the best.

: As an Ascended, Gwen has already healed significantly. She's still recovering and significantly hobbled but despite all that is still bigger and tougher than any three of you put together, a natural bulwark. House Gulgos also specializes in outdoorsmanship and animal handling.

: Winfred has a scholarly mind, a composed demeanor and knowledge of diplomatic protocol as a house aide, one of the invisible cogs that keeps a noble house functioning in a society where social wrenches are constantly thrown. None of you are sure you've ever seen him fight, though.

Everyone: This is also a good time to do any preparation for traveling and visiting the city, including skill checks and so on!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 9, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

Penelope has cleaned up but some might notice what looks like a combination strangle marks/first degree electrical burns around her neck that looks like a pair of hands. Its slathered in some kind of ointment and her shirt is most of the way off her shoulders to avoid it touching it by accident. "Keep the plebes comfortable and busy, we cannot deal with outside threats if we're dealing with unrest from the inside. Daytime should be directed to projects that involve a lot of hands working with each other. Clearing out the area, setting up walls, fields, and living spaces. Make it clear their work is directly going to benefit themselves. Feed them so they can actually do the work, even if it strains the supplies, we can find something and kill it for vittles. "

She dumps the biscuits in her caffeine drink and swirls it around until its all sugary dairy mush and begins pouring it into her mouth, pausing to continue talking while chewing.

"Hrmph, We also need a town sized recycler system for the sewage to partially address the food and other organics situation. Synthetic feed might unfortunately be a necessity for the near future. Directly related, get the Derro to start excavations and start mushroom farming. The literal mushroom farming, not the metaphor. Get the lizard fellas out there poking around and finding trouble so the rest of us don't find out ourselves." She glances over at Simon. "Let any human who steps up lead efforts and promote anyone who shows competence."

"Gormph, Sleep curfew, we cannot ignore it, tired equals stupid. Hand out sedatives if needed. Do not give them time to brood. Set up climate control in the sleeping area. Organized recreation, set up religious services, hold funerals for the deceased." Penelope looks at Bella "...Consider the necessity of conscripting dead locals to the cause, formerly sentient or otherwise. Saw a lot of large bones out there."

----
Voting:

[X ] We should prepare weapons and train more of the citizens to grow our armed forces. Things will be hard for them but we need a proper defense. - Craft weaponry, armor, defensive standards and siege supplies.

[X ] The people are in a terrible state. We should ease their burden and make life here better, as well are shore up our supplies of food and medicine. - Craft tools, furniture, conveniences and farming/medical supplies.

- Mei and Circa should be left playing task master. The nerd should come with us in case we actually have to think or talk to a third party, and Gwen should be there to avoid third parties doing something stupid.

Edit, if its one choice, [other: comforts and starting to work on the weapons and such]and, Winfred

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 9, 2023

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

Earlier...

"Ah, an intuition... I'm going to need to commune further, but my initial read on the settlement is... surprisingly negative? We need to proceed cautiously."

~~~

In the morning, Bella seems slightly agitated, futzing with a tablet, sitting down to eat nothing for breakfast.
"Sleep is sensible. If anyone is interested I have a way of inducing fairly gentle sedation. It's a regimented enough technique that there's no bleedover, should be foolproof, even when I'm feeling personally disrupted. Case in point..."
She waves Drazyn and Circa over.
"I attempted a read on Memanham last night. It's normally a very reliable method, I've used it countless times in the past when approaching a town to gain a sense of the best approach, interpreting who's in charge, how they're likely to receive me, that sort of thing. Particularly, I usually use it to get a sense of where the conspiracies and intrigues are, so I don't blunder over them if I don't have to: usually when I'm approaching a town I'm there to root out specific trouble, and when dealing with drow if you simply start uncovering everyone's secrets... well, it just causes a mess. Anyway, the point is, at least when I did this for Memanham, most of what I got was a sort of foreboding alarm, the sort of thing you get with isolated communities where everyone's actually a cannibal. We're probably going to have a very warm, pleasant welcome, but as much as I hate saying this, we're going to need to go into this very cautiously, the people there are... uniformly dangerous. I feel we really need someone who can match their initial politeness but still handle them when they inevitably turn... Circa, I think we do actually need your expertise here."
She taps on the table, still agitated.
"It's likely that the Worm interfered with my reading and colored my interpretation, but it wouldn't have been able to conjure the idea from nothing. Also, from the subtext of my read, they're quite adept with technology, we should make sure anything we bring is well firewalled, and anything we trade for gets overhauled. Eugh."

At Penelope's suggestion, Bella seems reasonably affable.
"Mmm. If you think I'll be taken well doing that. Usually upsets people, but needs must, perhaps? I'll need to work with Reyla on the initial animation, but I can do some deep realignment after that. I can make flesh golems on my own but that's usually not the most efficient choice compared to just wood and crystal homunculi, especially if we're talking about old bones instead of new flesh. I'm also fine with herding thralls, if we need to...? Captured pirates or raiders, if we end up with any. Hollow Sky could handle the initial breaking fairly well, and I can tidy up the final mindset and direction."
Bella is silent for a few moments, then tilts her head in confusion.
"Wait, where is Hollow Sky, anyway?"

~~~

[X] The people are in a terrible state. We should ease their burden and make life here better, as well are shore up our supplies of food and medicine. - Craft tools, furniture, conveniences and farming/medical supplies.

[X] We're outgunned, have no idea what's wrong with this rock, and if SomAI finds us we're badly out-teched. We can start making real killer apps, devise protection against Worms and Nanites. - Pursue advanced tech and protections from potent threats, particularly foreign software architecture and viruses.

[X] Circa should probably come as additional social muscle for dealing with the wily Memanhamans.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Cpt. Penelope

"Don't drive around living people like cars, anything short of that, sure. We got a chance to avoid chattel slavery here, let's take it while we can. If homunculi are a possibility, those big, furry white things probably have...lots of the critical ingredient".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

AP: 5 | Conditions: None | Insight Tokens: 1

Drazyn sucks air between his teeth as he listens to Bella's report. "Alright, that's good to know, at least. At some point we'll need to have a face-to-face first contact, but it'd be better to have that from a position of strength. Speaking of..."

"Strong agree on having people working for their own benefit, captain. We've already asked a lot of them when we've had them uproot themselves and follow us on an unknown planet. So, assuming that their primary needs are met, and it sounds like they are, our next priority should be ensuring their safety.

Thus, I would like to propose a change of plans."

Drazyn produces a piece of parchment from his toga. He does not unfurl it quite yet, electing instead to gesture dramatically with it.

"To my mind there are two threats to our community right now: discovery by SomAI, and the local flora and fauna. Odds are good that it will take a minute for everyone's favorite digital instrument of oppression to bring its might to bear on us; but we can take no chances. Ergo; I say we delay first contact, and that we (that is, us, the de facto leaders of this endeavor) scout out the neighboring regions, tagging potential resources, threats, etcetera.

Meanwhile, those here that are not focused on taking care of the community's primary needs should focus on its defense. I'm talking firewalls, I'm talking jammers, I'm talking anything and everything that can hide us from the great big eye in the sky. Even stuff I don't know the name of.

Between our sweep, ideally supported by Penelope's merry crew and perhaps some volunteers with fighting experience, we should be relatively sure of our own safety. After THAT, we can approach our new neighbours from a position of strength."

quote:

IF the basic needs of our people are met, in such a way that they're not likely to starve, get sick or anything of the sort, THEN they should focus any leftover manpower on:

[x ] We're outgunned, have no idea what's wrong with this rock, and if SomAI finds us we're badly out-teched. We can start making real killer apps, devise protection against Worms and Nanites. - Pursue advanced tech and protections from potent threats.

IF the basic needs of our people are not met, THEN they should focus on:
[x] The people are in a terrible state. We should ease their burden and make life here better, as well are shore up our supplies of food and medicine. - Craft tools, furniture, conveniences and farming/medical supplies.

As for the last option, I am essentially proposing that we handle it ourselves. We do a sweet of our surroundings, see what's dangerous, and deal with it as appropriate. I will freely admit that it's also a bit of a meta-aware move; we can take care of our base while also waiting for the debuff caused by Bella's rolled 1 to expire.

also we need to pick a name for this faction I can't keep calling them "our people"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 21, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 5 | No Conditions

Yes, this was to be expected from Circa, but it is still SEBASTIAN's parameters to nevertheless act like that. Giving a polite bow, he heads towards Reyla instead. "Yes, My Lady." Maintenance... Yes, he should take a look at that. At least set up this base with his own matrices so it gives the inhabitants some manner of comfort, as it was this place was a dump!

______

As someone who lacks any sort of concept of tiredness and needing a different sort of energy nourishing, SEBASTIAN lacks any sort of sympathy for them. Or rather, he rather prioritizes the safety of the base over anything else. "Sominaia finding us is the biggest concern, so are any native wildlife and raiders. All attention therefore should be focused on defense. The preparation of turrets, drones, fortifications... Furthermore, I do believe that hologram technology may be used to help us on this front. Camouflaging the base will help wonders with any sort of hostiles at least...

[X] We should prepare weapons and train more of the citizens to grow our armed forces. Things will be hard for them but we need a proper defense. - Craft weaponry, armor, defensive standards and siege supplies.

[X] Other (A variation of 3 but SEBASTIAN wants to create a Stealth Generator/Jammer around the base!)

Gwen should be left at base to guard it whenever we are out, bring Winfred if we are doing negotiations.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 14, 2023

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Narinth dal Krodven

AP: 5 | Conditions: None

"Let the dead rest, we've got enough idle hands to put to work." Narinth says as she takes a seat at the table, setting down two meal trays in front of her. No reason to let Bella's ration go to waste, after all. "Having rotting corpses walking around is going to tank morale, and we might want to avoid looking evil as gently caress if we're to make nice with our neighbors too."

She scrapes off half the food from the extra plate and piles it on her own, then rips one of the biscuits in half. "If there's one thing on the minds of our colonists right now, it's the warm welcoming we got from that devouring mass of worms." She takes a big bite and starts chewing, but doesn't let that stop her from continuing speaking. "Doesn't matter how comfy your bed is or how tasty your grub is if you're in constant fear for your life. Security needs to be our top priority."

She slides the bonus tray with half a meal left on it across the table, to Gwendolyn. "On that note, Atri-Gulgos, I'd like to hear your take on this void-hosed planet we've landed on. Your house was the only one to set foot on it before we did, and I don't believe for one gods damned second you missed all the dangers lurking here. The Sominaia leaders knew exactly what kind of place they were sending their unsuspecting subjects, didn't they?"

"I think you've got a good read of the situation, Drazyn. Securing our new home should be our top priority, but we shouldn't put off meeting the locals. We're strangers in a strange land, we could use some local knowhow. If they have intel or countermeasures against the threats we face, it'll be well worth the trip. We can spare a small party to make contact."

[X] Craft weaponry, armor, defensive standards and siege supplies.
[X] Bring Winfred

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

HP: 10/10 | AP: 3

"If you'll indulge me being a bit drowish in terms of realpolitik, I fear we likely should make an effort at first contact before the main colony. My read is that the Memanhamians are going to be outwardly highly affable, and will try to ally with everyone they contact, except that in this circumstance it will only be whoever's contacted them first. Only later will they turn. If we allow the main colony first contact, the two will engage in trade, our elders will behave typically abrasively but the Memanhamians will be unreasonably accommodating, and early on the two will collude to eliminate us. After the fact there will of course be some kind of conflict. If, however, we establish first contact, we will acquire them as allies, and can accurately portray the colony as being xenophobic and unyielding. We can spin the situation into a longer term detente, with us and the Memanhamians together against the larger threat. The main risk then would be whatever their sinister nature is, which can hopefully be avoided by simply not integrating or otherwise growing too intimate with Memanham in a physical sense."

She shrugs vaguely.
"In terms of slaves and walking corpses, if it lowers morale I'll avoid it, and it's not as if it's a fantastically efficient use of energy. I probably would be better off just easing tensions broadband. I'd need an explicit remit for that from whomever is actually 'in charge' around here, as much as consent is important I'm not going to pry it out of everyone and I'm not going to waste the energy if I need to keep track of individuals. That particular type of technique really doesn't allow for any real level of detail anyway. Good for privacy, at least."

zachol fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 14, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

Votes:

3 Weapons
3 People
4 Tech

3 Winfred
1 Gwen
1 Circa

quote:

also we need to pick a name for this faction I can't keep calling them "our people"

(A good point, though "House Ariness" or "Arinessans" works for now!)

Penelope: Your improvised breakfast skills get a few stares with Circa in particular having a little tic at the lips, smiling in sheer abject horror.

Everyone: Winfred quickly interjects!

: "Most societies frown upon necromancy, particularly pre-uplifting! The empire is very clear about order of diplomatic operation.. ah, really, we've no idea what the Memanhamans are like! Why, if they're early enough in development they could view our descent as an astrological event and show up investigating us before them.." He clears his throat, looking a bit demurred at having actually spoken up so confidently in front of all his superiors, and busies himself with sipping at his own coffee.

As Bella and Penelope finish hashing out their points about raising the locals and Bella shares her vision, more discourse is shared:

: "Such is to be expected. Vular has dealt with several new species. You can make them understand where their best interests lie."

: "Mmm, you should review infection protocols." She gestures with a fork and a half-eaten sausage at the rest of you. "Anything that lives on this rock has to keep things at bay... or else it's already contaminated by it." She frowns and narrows her eyes at the remaining bit of meat, a shared group recollection of the finger-sized worms passing by.

---

As Drazyn proposes a big idea, murmur breaks out amongst the table. Even Reyla, Circa and Mei are united in a brief bit of back and forth. The start of a full table debate is interrupted by Gwen tapping the center of her cleaned plate, producing a dull thunking tone.

: "You're easy to like, Krodven. No loving around... yes. We've been down here. Brought back those blue bisons. It's a nicer place than last night suggests. We wouldn't settle here if it was a suicide mission. We're the freaking Vular, we are the position of strength." She raises her eyebrows and stares down Drazyn with the full, ah, black of her eyes briefly, then chuckles and pats him on the back. Like a nice gentle slapping with a mattress. "You've seen the fungus and the nanites. We've got medical to deal with that, so we decided it was an acceptable risk. SomAI would blow that big thing you ID'd apart in a second. Hell, I would if I was at my best. Lots of fire, you know?" She sighs and drums her fingers along the table, making the whole thing vibrate softly. "We were forbidden to approach the moth-men."

: "Moth-men?!" Winfred blurts this out, practically spitting a bit of his drink.. out into the cup held before his face.

: "... Yeah, you'll know 'em when you see 'em. Scans suggest they're tech savvy, but you don't need to worry too much that SomAI will ID us that fast. If this planet had regular atmosphere and comms condition they would've landed behind us. Nah, this whole place is like.. the air's static, you know? Worse than usual, worse than loving up your radio tuning. Scans are possible but they take forever. Comms are possible but they need good tech or old fashioned hard lines. Even your AI will be a bit jerky without a good radar or power source. You saw those cables in those slaver outposts, yeah? Gotta physically set that poo poo out. This planet is like a trip back in time, but hell, once the capital ship sets down, makes itself a real capital, at least they'll be a self-contained fortress." She raises a huge hand and covers her mouth, clearing her throat. "... Sorry, been thinking a lot. That's traction for you. There's the worms, we planned to fortify against that. Research the nanites. The rest? Eh, SOP. The empire meets the natives, it tells them how things are gonna go, it cleans them up if they don't like it. We saw a few live scavver posts. Freaking black powder guns. If you hadn't broke my armor, I'd go conquer this continent myself." She chuckles darkly, then sighs with a hint of contentment. "... Oh, and the wildlife can get real big and real nasty. Same priority as the worm though, shoot it 'til it dies."

---

: "How enlightening. Cousin, as much as I.. trust your judgement, we're of agreement that first contact could be the single best opportunity we have right now. So much so that I will continue to trust in you, and entrust you to conduct it. The colonel and my dear sister are needed here."

: "If things go rotten, we will swiftly excise them! Your retinue is unerring, unstoppable, unwavering!" She gestures sharply across the table. "I'll make this one earn her keep, large as it is!"

: Gwen snorts.

: "However you will require support. As you are generously endowed with natural charm, perhaps a keen mind." Circa flippantly flicks her hand in Winfred's direction. "You, advisor. Advise them."

: Winfred chokes down his coffee this time, gasping for a bit. "M-M-M-Mistress Ariness!? I, ah, er, th-that is, I.. well, my expertise is.. uhm, in research, and furthermore, I.."

: "I'm aware. Your research will benefit them in making common ground with the natives. That is all." Breakfast can conclude as you like, though Circa shares a meaningful stare with Penelope before rising and leaving her dishes.

: "... I understand your points. We'll try to get ahead of our problems by outsmarting them(Tech Focus First.) We won't neglect the people or our defenses, though."

---

Music (Front Mission 3 - Agito)

Later your group will be gathering at the communal engineering space, a garage protruding from the open vehicle bay of one of the three pods. More Bumpers are available, though Mei curtly shouts that if you lose this one your next task will be to retrieve at least one of the two on foot.

: Catching your group without the smothering aura of absolute authority around, Winfred presents himself before Drazyn(and everybody else), bowing his head repeatedly. "Master, this must be a mistake, I.. er, perhaps Mistress Ariness places too much confidence in my abilities.. and ah, I'm ill-equipped to.. I.. well, that is.. I've never fought in my life! Could you help her reconsider?!" Winfred has, to his credit, dutifully shown up in a traveling coat with proper boots and a little carrying pack, a stylish piece from back when you were part of an advanced civilization with fashion trends. Looks like nano-mesh and has his name embroidered on one of the solid bits!

Everyone: How you approach Memanham is up to you, or even if you do it at all! You could do other things, like not go, go but observe at a distance, infiltrate it entirely by stealth, etc. There's no obligation to arrive as a formal diplomatic convoy! Though you may ruffle some feathers if you don't have anything to show for your efforts.

You could also change how you travel. Going by foot is sneakier and allows greater opportunity to explore the wilds, though it would extend the travel time of course. You'd let the others know you're going slower. The Bumper is otherwise your reliable all-terrain hover-truck! You could also stock it up with supplies or outfit it with some equipment, though there's only enough room for one general equipment set up on the top racking. Weaponry was always popular on common deployment, repurposing the engine fluids and run off to operate a flash-fire projector! There's also a wildlife cage set up, an additional cargo bay, or an emergency generator set-up.

Assuming you take the Bumper, I'd like a few skill checks! One per Player, please. Also describe preparations you make before departing and anyone you see or want to chat(briefly) with before you go!

1 Driving
2 Observation/Scouting
1 Wildlife
1 Science
1 Research
Or Other, Your Choice

If you don't take the Bumper, you'll also want 3 Outdoor checks(your choice of Hunting, Foraging, etc) instead of the Driving Check. You can burn AP or use complications here, all normal Skill check rules!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 18, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SEBASTIAN XII

AP 4 | No Conditions

"Yes, yes, Vular are likely to be addressed as Gods by these primitives. Hopefully this means that they shall accept the stewardship of our House rather than our enemies' and that's the purpose of any diplomatic mission we are to sent. If not, then subjugation by other means will be left on the menu, just like Madam Gwen has so graciously demonstrated." SEBASTIAN says with a cold tone, the expressionless android emanating a rather scary atmosphere... The precariousness of their current situation has made the Android rather inclined for more ruthless solutions of their current problems.

---

"Your presence is necessary, Scholar. If anything we might need your help deciphering any local languages and customs, so consider yourself conscripted. As for our travel... I recommend we make this machine as impressive as possible, awing the natives with our might is the biggest priority after all." Speaking of... He should take a closer look, their vehicle must be kept at a pristine condition, and be fitted with enough weaponry to become the instrument of intimidation that the Head Butler believes will be necessary in order to fulfill their goals.

Will do a roll on Machine Repair if we take the Bumper, keeping the roll for when the rest of the party votes though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Drazyn Elph-Ariness

The impact of Gwen's massive hand on Drazyn's relatively thin shoulders causes him to bump forward a bit, but he recomposes himself quickly enough. He makes mental note of what the Ascended says. "This is good intel to have, Gwen. Thank you. Some idea of what the opposition's plans are is rarely wasted."

As the assembly seems to close, Drazyn is a tad peeved that apparently his plan has not been met with much approval, despite its obvious merits. Still, in the spirit of compromise and harmony within House Ariness and its vassals-slash-fellow escapees, he chooses not to make a stink about it; if nothing else, because he sees the advantage in being the first point of contact with the locals. He makes an effort to assuage the scholar's fears with a friendly pat on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, Winfred. You're with several of House Ariness' most feared warriors, plus my darling Lulu. You're in good hands... and appendages."

---

It is Drazyn's intentions to check whatever long-range scanners the colony has managed to set up and study the local flora and fauna; he wants to see what poses a threat to the upcoming diplomatic journey, what beasts' territories they should avoid, what delicious fruits are actually the mouths of flesh-eating mandrakes, that sort of thing. He is on his way to the research lab when it occurs to him that he still hasn't checked on his wife Vorala. And what of Dotto! The kobold he met during the escape from the mothership! With a sigh, he takes a hard left towards the habitats to see how those two are faring. Still, mustn't forget to ensure the smooth sailing of the mission later on...

quote:

I'll handle the Science roll. Using an AP to combine Biology and Monster Friend got me a 3: Success with a Cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Deputy Therapist Bella

HP: 10/10 | AP: 3

"Hmm. I'm very much not used to approach in a vehicle, certainly not navigation..."
She trails off, staring at the Bumper, then snaps her fingers.
"Camouflage! An old standby. The psychic type, you can alter the perceptions of observers because they're observing you, that's contact, I use it all the time when traveling. I've done a convoy before, this should be easy enough. Stealth might be taken as a sign of hostility, though. Identification, friend or foe, screen out the watchful Som, the creeping worm, the rapscallious pirates on the way. I don't think I can cover our tracks... blur them for a time nearby, hamper pursuit on the final stretch... should I announce ourselves to Memanham when we draw near or simply let our nature speak for itself... hmm... need some local dead wood, nice and dry... sifted out quartz sand, should build up a stock anyway..."

She trails off, apparently going on a minor expedition of her own. Psions, what the heck.

~~~

A little while later Bella jerks awake from meditation. A little mound of white sand with a small pile of now burnt incense pressed into it, little carved shards of nearly petrified dry wood set at corners around the Bumper, a feeling of... well, nothing. Nothing but burnt incense, none of the usual psychic glimmering shimmers and deep bass hums you usually get around powers.
Really, only the perky feeling of cheerfulness. Success? She walks up to the vehicle, brushing a hand over it.
"Perfect! Some of my best work. Absolutely no enemies will heed our rumbling tread! I also managed to work in a sort of forest walking technique, which should reduce the chance we'll... get... hung up on... hmm. Ah, of course."

She steps back, now clearly incensed.
"The Memanhamians are my enemy, I can't really think of them otherwise. Usually it's not much of a drawback, but once their scouts break through the illusion, or once we come up on their guard stations, the intent will shine through. Much worse than just a completely indiscriminate camouflage, at least that might be excused. Hm."
She tilts her head, knocking on the Bumper a few times.
"Do I take it down, or try to alter it on the trip...? Maybe take it down when we're remotely proximate, but a discerning advance scout might stumble upon us... nearly catastrophic... so irritating... mrgh..."

Rolled a 2 on Deception+Psychic, which is apparently a 1 for Memanhamians. Can I spend an AP to... convert it into an unspecified complication, 'a scout catches wind but isn't widely heard, a small faction has an extreme negative view,' maybe?