Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

in retrospect maybe it was a bad idea for 9/10ths of the country to gradually move to places where none of the things you need to survive and nothing you care about are within walking distance

I mean, the government subsidized it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

An endless cycle of "Don't worry, we can definitely solve this with technology"

https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1586285953580118016?s=20&t=3a83fV-OjQymFaqEbodaew

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

Boywhiz88 posted:

What I love is that the paper reprints it without questioning. In fact, taking it at face value. He’s saved money…. According to him!
Local news repeats all kinds of stuff uncritically. Yesterday I saw a piece about some cops who got sick from being exposed to fentanyl and had to go to the hospital. How come that never happens to emts or literally anyone else?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Martian posted:

You don't understand: to these people, getting gas is expensive, but driving is actually free once your tank is full. Until the unknowable moment you need to buy gas again, which is Bidens fault and has nothing to do with how much you drive.

Pretty much how their entire worldview works, yeah. Just a complete breakdown rejection of causal relationships

thetan_guy42 posted:

Local news repeats all kinds of stuff uncritically. Yesterday I saw a piece about some cops who got sick from being exposed to fentanyl and had to go to the hospital. How come that never happens to emts or literally anyone else?

Local news is pretty much all sinclair now right

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Feb 1, 2023

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

thetan_guy42 posted:

EMTs aren't born with the cop gene that makes them susceptible to fentanyl.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Polo-Rican posted:

in retrospect maybe it was a bad idea for 9/10ths of the country to gradually move to places where none of the things you need to survive and nothing you care about are within walking distance

Outside of truly rural areas most people do live within cycle distance of necessities. It’s just not safe to ride on most roads without an armored vehicle to protect from all the other armored vehicles.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

thetan_guy42 posted:

cops get pay + 20% when they're on leave for injury, EMTs get to use up their PTO if any and then nothing

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Dustcat posted:

cops get pay + 20% when they're on leave for injury, EMTs get to use up their PTO if any and then nothing

Also cops are trained to see danger, and to see themselves in danger, and EMTs are trained to see people who need help.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

EMTs aren't born with the cop gene that makes them susceptible to fentanyl.

Are you saying freddy quimby is also susceptible to fentanyl?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Honestly, I think you have that backwards. The vast majority of the US still lives along the major bodies of water with a half dozen small cities worth of people in the Midwest. Arguably a half dozen or so too many..

E: Thought I was in the climate thread, but even so its not like everything is built for cars because we've spread out at all uniformly.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

nomad2020 posted:

E: Thought I was in the climate thread, but even so its not like everything is built for cars because we've spread out at all uniformly.

at that scale it doesn't look like it but if you check out any city beyond the historic core/streetcar suburbs the vast majority is unwalkable

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

cowboy beepboop posted:

at that scale it doesn't look like it but if you check out any city beyond the historic core/streetcar suburbs the vast majority is unwalkable

Yes, but it's not that people are moving to unwalkable areas, it's that we've actively making (near) everywhere less walkable so that we can have more cars.

For example, people have lived in my backwater rural town for a few hundred years, but it has been made less walkable by removing trains, and the general stores dying in favor of the chains over the past 100.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Feb 1, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

We are really lucky that our older towns have actual urban centers (even if they're run down or unused), because at least there's potential for reorienting those places. But most of what's been built since the highway boom is fundamentally broken.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nomad2020 posted:

Yes, but it's not that people are moving to unwalkable areas, it's that we've actively making (near) everywhere less walkable so that we can have more cars.

For example, people have lived in my backwater rural town for a few hundred years, but it has been made less walkable by removing trains, and the general stores dying in favor of the chains over the past 100.

yeah from what I read about many cities in the us, historically minority neighborhoods were demolished to make way for more roads for white people + to physically block those neighborhoods off. now those populations don't live in these former core areas; instead they are occupied now by urbanite professionals.

in a small number of areas some transit is being brought back to serve the new folks but in laughably unambituous stride imo

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

posting from the bus. about to pull the little yellow cord!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

nomad2020 posted:

Honestly, I think you have that backwards. The vast majority of the US still lives along the major bodies of water with a half dozen small cities worth of people in the Midwest. Arguably a half dozen or so too many..

gently caress's with the black dots?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Doesn't say. Taken from this article, says it is sourced from time.com but without a link back.

https://vividmaps.com/us-population-density/

Here's a somewhat better map.
Dark green = a county of 50k+,
light green = 10-50k with at least 1 urban core.

Full size in Vivid Maps' Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/13o3pEJ-zalm7B9Ng2aV0KJ6ybQOOuION/view

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nomad2020 posted:

most major midwest cities were built along navigable rivers op

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:rip::( https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1620954287877799936

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

what a start to a monday

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Oh hey, you found it! We were looking for that"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that;s sad

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
walkable, dense san bernadino county

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's a gas pump

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1620857487237971968

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

finally some good news

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nature is healing

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Hell yes

Now do all the others

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hazard lights were on so they are only parking there for a minute or two.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://twitter.com/CrosswalksLA/status/1620120297583300608?s=20

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe
so... did someone move the penis? or did it get launched into the gas station bathroom by the accident somehow?

Apr 7, 2003

Spergin Morlock posted:

so... did someone move the penis? or did it get launched into the gas station bathroom by the accident somehow?

penis-mover here is trying to cover his tracks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

some folks will pay a pretty penny to remove pen0r

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I love how the hazards always go on when cars get swept out to sea.

Drivers have a really hard time understanding the effect buoyancy has on traction.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

cross posting some wholesome collision action

Apr 7, 2003

Looking at cutting down car trips in the new year

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i like the little wheels they had to put on a thing that's named for and defined by having two wheels

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the brompton bomber

how heavy is it? I was wondering how cumbersome one would be to take on a bus

Apr 7, 2003

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the brompton bomber

how heavy is it? I was wondering how cumbersome one would be to take on a bus

Box says 24 lbs, it's easy for me to lift with one hand and I'm a sad weakling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

nice