Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I said all along that Sam Darnold was the man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm going to have to see Wilson play poorly in at least a few preseason games before I start to worry about him. People worried about practice are idiots.

It really loving rules that the Jets signed Carl Lawson and not Trey Hendrickson.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 11, 2021

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I mean, I'm going to worry that every Jets QB is going to be a bust no matter what (and Wilson might be!). But Wilson is also taking literally every first team rep against a defensive line that might be one of the better units in the NFL, so I'm not going to expect him to look like a good starter before he even takes a preseason snap.

Now that the offense is installed, we'll see how he improves (or not) in the coming weeks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The mini doc they have on the Jets website now about training camp is way better than the offseason one.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
My Ultimate Hot Take about Jones is that he's going to be a... fine... QB in the "too good to cut, not good enough to win a title" category, and this will slowly make Patriots fans gradually become (even more) terminally psychotic, like all the Cowboys fans who gradually came to hate Romo to death, or the Eagles fans who hated McNabb with the heat of 1,000 suns for all those *checks notes* NFCCG losses.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.
I assume he's going to be loving awful.

but better than tua

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

My Ultimate Hot Take about Jones is that he's going to be a... fine... QB in the "too good to cut, not good enough to win a title" category, and this will slowly make Patriots fans gradually become (even more) terminally psychotic, like all the Cowboys fans who gradually came to hate Romo to death, or the Eagles fans who hated McNabb with the heat of 1,000 suns for all those *checks notes* NFCCG losses.

Romo was a hall of famer. Mac Jones isn't going to be Tony Romo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Romo was a hall of famer. Mac Jones isn't going to be Tony Romo.

Romo isn't close to a hall of famer lol

Mac Jones will be more boring than either of those guys for sure though.

e: Romo is #34 in yards, #24 in touchdowns, 0 1st Team All-Pro, 0 MVP, 0 Super Bowl appearances, 2-4 playoff record. I liked watching him but the dude isn't sniffing the Hall lmao

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 11, 2021

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It really loving rules that the Jets signed Carl Lawson and not Trey Hendrickson.
He also apparently lives in the white lodge.

https://twitter.com/GregArmstrong_/status/1425254882530013184

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
Carl Lawson loving owns

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Romo isn't close to a hall of famer lol

Mac Jones will be more boring than either of those guys for sure though.

e: Romo is #34 in yards, #24 in touchdowns, 0 1st Team All-Pro, 0 MVP, 0 Super Bowl appearances, 2-4 playoff record. I liked watching him but the dude isn't sniffing the Hall lmao

He's 5th all time in QBR and he was a top 5 QB for a very long time. I think he's closer than you're giving him credit for but either way if Mac Jones is as good as Tony Romo you should sign up for that in a second. I would sign up for Wilson being that good.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

For a moment there I thought that was Sakigake!! and I was going to be really impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UcxTxrcuM

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He's 5th all time in QBR and he was a top 5 QB for a very long time. I think he's closer than you're giving him credit for but either way if Mac Jones is as good as Tony Romo you should sign up for that in a second. I would sign up for Wilson being that good.

I mean Cowboys fans literally hated actual Tony Romo, and 21st century Pats fans are no better than 1996+ Cowboys fans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

sean10mm posted:

I mean Cowboys fans literally hated actual Tony Romo, and 21st century Pats fans are no better than 1996+ Cowboys fans.

Fans are dumb.

Nov 6, 2002

sean10mm posted:

hey i don't own a single starter jacket

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Mac Jones is as good as Tony Romo I hearby promise to be insufferable about how good he is.

Nov 6, 2002

also romo is probably going into the hof but it will take a bit

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Romo's a Cowboy and this generation's great color commentator. He will absolutely wear a golf jacket one day.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

fsif posted:

Romo's a Cowboy and this generation's great color commentator. He will absolutely wear a golf jacket one day.

Sure, there's a "contributor" category. :v:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The thing about rookie/young QBs despite the narrative that’s developed over the last year is that even if they struggle in a preseason game or 3 it’s not the end of the world.

In fact Zach Wilson might suck rear end all year and still turn out ok.

Theoretically, if he played for a team other than the Jets.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Look the dirty secret that we don't usually say out loud this time of the year is that there is zero predictive value between how a rookie looks right now and how they'll eventually be.

At this time three years ago Manish posted a Ric Flair gif every time he saw Darnold throw the ball and Allen was playing with the third team behind AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Patriots fans aren't like Cowboy fans. Cowboy fans stick around no matter what, and are annoying no matter how bad their team is. Patriot fans are already disappearing off the bandwagon, if they have another bad season you'll hear more and more Pats fans be like "Oh, I wasn't a fan of the team, just a fan of Brady" as they wear their newly bought Bucs gear.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We have Dolphins and Bears joint practice reports to look forward to today :toot:

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

syzpid posted:

Patriots fans aren't like Cowboy fans. Cowboy fans stick around no matter what, and are annoying no matter how bad their team is. Patriot fans are already disappearing off the bandwagon, if they have another bad season you'll hear more and more Pats fans be like "Oh, I wasn't a fan of the team, just a fan of Brady" as they wear their newly bought Bucs gear.

hell im not even a fan of brady, just a fan of winning super bowls

ill stop rooting for brady the second someone wins more super bowls

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Magicpants posted:

hell im not even a fan of brady, just a fan of winning super bowls

ill stop rooting for brady the second someone wins more super bowls
Welcome to Josh Allen.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Pablo Bluth posted:

Welcome to Josh Allen.

Please Josh at least one so this hell can finally be over.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

sean10mm posted:

Using the fans hating him as a barometer for him not being that good is dumb lol, vast majority of fans are dumb as poo poo. Like the people barstool caters to.

If he didn't get shackled with the clapper this wouldn't even be a discussion. Wade was a lovely HC too

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I assume he's going to be loving awful.

but better than tua

this makes me so mad

i’m so gd angry rn

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i'm excited for football and another great year in the AFC East

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Looks like Tua is going to practice without his starting WR's today lol

Good news that Hunter Long is "day-to-day" though

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1425458701519966208?s=20

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Using the fans hating him as a barometer for him not being that good is dumb lol

That's not what I said though?

I was talking about dumb fans hating a player for being good instead of great in my hypothetical joke scenario.

I was predicting Pats fans being pieces of poo poo there.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/WesSteinberg/status/1425145075420516354?s=20

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

It is with a heavy heart that I must report that this is a troll account.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fsif posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I must report that this is a troll account.

how can you say that his banner pic shows him in the locker room with eli

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

booooooooooo

Nov 6, 2002

Wasn't Darnold really Sanchez 2.0?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Wasn't Darnold really Sanchez 2.0?

Not really. Sanchez was a way better Jet than Darnold.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Not really. Sanchez was a way better Jet than Darnold.

Yeah, peak Sanchez looked way more plausible than Darnold ever did.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Peak Darnold was the game in his rookie year against the Packers, right? Did Sanchez ever reach that high on an individual performance level?

Even at his peak, I anecdotally remember him being more considered as a likely good/maybe eventually great QB that wouldn't get in the way of the defense/run game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sanchez had a good team around him and was a capable game manager. He just never took that leap you'd want a guy with that much around him to take. (I think we can give Schotty and Rex a fair amount of blame for that).

His high point was absolutely beating the Pats in foxborough.