Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hello

https://twitter.com/TonyDungy/status/1424794141255356442

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

"expected point margin on a neutral field"

Best defense is worth 2.6 points, best offense is the Chiefs, lapping the field at 5.8.

Worst are the Texans in both, at -3.8 and -3.9 each, sure okay. ST range from +.6 (Bills) to -.7 (Chargers). Sure, okay. Don't have previous years preseason data to look at, but it's very funny that the Chiefs at that high are still like half of what they were scored at offensively the previous 3 years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You could #Patriots that as well. Dominant defense club, yeah yeah

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

For a moment there I thought that was Sakigake!! and I was going to be really impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1UcxTxrcuM

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If Mac Jones is as good as Tony Romo I hearby promise to be insufferable about how good he is.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sanchez had a good team around him and was a capable game manager. He just never took that leap you'd want a guy with that much around him to take. (I think we can give Schotty and Rex a fair amount of blame for that).

His high point was absolutely beating the Pats in foxborough.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

So if NE had the 2nd overall pick they would've taken Jones?

I doubt it, going by what the 49ers did, I presume the workouts would've ended up with Trey Lance, but who knows.

Also as for what I truly believe: Rookie QB's almost always suck, as such I'm perfectly fine with Cam starting until he shows he can't again. If he stinks, put McCorkle in in October, if they're winning, keep Cam around until he inevitably breaks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Harry's whole game is his ability to catch contested balls because he sure as poo poo isn't gonna get separation

That's the theory, however in practice:

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1201318056464654338

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Draft profile:

quote:

Overview
Back-shoulder boss who thrives with contested catch opportunities outside the numbers but lacks explosive traits. Harry's ability to body-up opponents and win with ball skills is undeniable, but his inability to find a threatening top gear or shake loose from tight man coverage must be accounted for within his new employer's scheme. His experience playing inside should help and teams will love his impact as a run-blocker. His competitiveness and ability to come down with the ball could make him a productive member of wide receiver trio in short order.

Strengths
Highly competitive at everything he does
Consistently productive over three seasons
Fearless play demeanor with alpha swagger
Uses hands to swat coverage jam and release from press
Big, presentable target on slants and in zone work
Leverages and stems his way to open catch space
Plays with patience and poise to win combat catches
Strong hands and well-respected ball skills
Outworks opponents to carve out work space in tight quarters
Wins jump balls with well-timed leaps and frame to shield the finish
Stiff-arm getaways after the catch
Junkyard dog who is willing to scrap as a blocker
Can clinch and manhandle finesse corners in space

Weaknesses
Feet not quick enough in stutter-release vs press
Tends to wear tight, press coverage for much of the route
Downhill speed fails to threaten most cornerbacks
NFL corners likely to squat on and squeeze his breaks and turns
Too upright slowing his route breaks
Suffered from a few focus drops headed into traffic
Needs better urgency getting up the field after catch
Below-average stop-start quickness to elude and accelerate
Wasn't a major factor in red zone

Their grades had 4 WR's noticably above Harry in their scoring: Metcalf, Parris Campbell, AJ Brown and Marquise Brown. Marquise went to the Ravens at 25th, but reading AJ Brown's profile, boy it sure is hard to justify this over that (of course, you can say the same thing about Parris Campbell and lol), and everyone had Metcalf pegged as a 1 trick pony and that trick is not what Brady does well, so *shrug*.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 13, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I mean that draft profile isn't wildly off EXCEPT that he bullied corners in college, but in the pros he just gets pushed around by dudes...the same size as most college corners?

I dunno.

Yeah, of course as I said Metcalf's skill set didn't match Brady's... well Harry is worse. Brady hates taking risks and throws to open guys. Harry... doesn't get open, and his strength is winning 50/50 balls. Just never made much sense.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Who is the best WR drafted by the Pats in the last 10 years?

Edelman I guess?

12 years ago! they pretty much just didn't draft 'em.

21-7 Tre Nixon
19-1 N'Keal Harry
18-6 Braxton Berrios
16-4 Malcolm Mitchell
16-7 Devin Lucien
14-7 Jeremy Gallon
13-2 Aaron Dobson
13-4 Josh Boyce
12-7 Jeremy Ebert
10-3 Taylor Price
09-3 Brandon Tate
09-7 Julian Edelman

Just basically no draft resources into WR's in a decade, just kept getting by with signings and a couple trades.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 13, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

midwat posted:

You have done what everyone in New England wishes they could do: forgotten about Aaron Dobson

Yeah, what the hell, how did I miss him?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It makes sense to do right now anyway, the cap should jump astronomically over the next 2-3 years.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Haven't seen much Patriots news from today, not helped by every related search being inundated with stuff about that pickup driving bomb threat guy in DC today.

Can my team please change their name to the Teamen or BOSTON STRONG or something?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Got a game tonight at 7:30!

Yeah, I'm stoked to watch the first half and then half listen to a stream of the second half while playing vidya games.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Man, that's loving brutal. CJ Mosley was what 2 years ago right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

N'Keal Harry loving owns

https://streamable.com/zi2tna

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/MikeGiardi/status/1430167524516286467

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Best part is we're playing both southern conferences. Everyone's going to Miami and then some of Tampa, Jackonsville, New Orleans, Atlanta, Houston, Tennessee and Carolina.

All the unvaxxed players are gonna catch it, it's gonna loving happen.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Moving Michel is fine, they have kinda ridiculous depth at running back, and Michel's nothing special.

Pats have had some rough years (2016-2017 were god awful except for Joe Thuney), but of those 1st round guys, everyone from Isaiah Wynn on down are still on rookie deals, and N'Keal Harry might even make the team this year!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh man, that's awful

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That guy arguing with Beasley about vaccines linked him a story about ICU's being full and Beasley basically answered "well if I haven't seen it it doesn't exist" lol.

Like Alex Smith and a receiver running free 20 yards downfield.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, once it hit me that every east team is heading into the most ravaged covid hellholes a half dozen times each this season, I was like, oh okay yeah, nobody's getting through this clean.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Yeah what the hell. Shaq's nothing special but he's a competent starter at the position. Maybe it's the contract?

There was footage going around yesterday on twitter of some film guy showing him looking really washed and giving no effort, so that's probably it.

Jets need *anything* and well, who cares if a 6th round pick fizzles, and it's not like he'll be stealing snaps from promising players.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

On the Dolphins last year or during Texans preseason games this year?

He's only 27 so I'd be surprised if he's "washed", but I could easily see him not giving a poo poo during preseason for a team he never signed with.

Preseason this year, stuff like the team was having him play in the 2nd half of games because he just wasn't doing anything

Which again, could easily be Texans <waves hands>

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

An all AFC East pro bowl :wow:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots cuts:

OL - WIll Sherman - 6th round pick this year
G - Alex Redmond - 5th year player from the Bengals. He's... passable, someone should probably grab him as a not-embarrassing stopgap.
WR - Kristian Wilkerson - Played well in the last preseason game, has generally stunk all camp though
WR - Tre Nixon - Dude wore #87, get the gently caress out.
WR - Isaiah Zuber - Caught a touchdown in the last game, not good.
DB - Myles Bryant - Semi-capable, should probably at least make someone's practice squad
DB - Dee Virgin - spent 3 years in detroit.... yeah
DB - D'Angelo Ross - UDFA, caught an int in the last preseason game, *shrug*
TE - Matt LaCosse - Been around the league since 2015. He's... a warm body.

Edit: DL - Montravius Adams - 4th year player from Green Bay, drafted in the 3rd round. Barely passable depth?

Kalli fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 31, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's made good catches but everything I saw said he'd have a drop for every catch, and welp.

Getting open enough to be able to make a catch would be an upgrade over last year's WR core though!

Also I presume they're keeping Harry just because they can toss him on IR and play this whole game again next year, yay! Supposedly he had a good camp, but he looked loving miserable in both preseason games, so...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wow, you aren't kidding

https://twitter.com/globejimmcbride/status/1432706144557051924

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

t a s t e posted:

I’d take him as a 3rd stringer

Might put the Bills under the vaccination % threshhold though. :v:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think Cam will definitely get picked up, too many unvaccinated quarterbacks out there that will absolutely miss time, like Cam Newton.

Oh, but if a team signs him, he has to sit out for like 5 days right? lmao.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

And here I was all excited to be talking about waiver wire wide receivers today.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bill Simmons was an interesting, breath of fresh air as a columnist 20 years ago and then never evolved and was lapped by everybody. Like Kevin Smith if he was put in charge of a movie studio.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

If only we could have a storied and experienced backup like Jarrett Stidham. Then I'd feel perfectly at ease.

Uh I'll have you know they're probably keeping Bryan Hoyer!

... :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Symphoric posted:

This has gotta be roster fuckery. He'll probably be re-signed by tomorrow.

Yeah, I presume they know nobody else is going to grab him, so he can just sit at home for the next week and get a little extra taste when he re-signs after all the bottom of the roster churn happens over the next few days.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Diva Cupcake posted:

Herndon details. Lol they got a 4th. JD rules.

Yeah, Vikings are all definitely in on "make it work this year or we're all getting fired", so good job on getting them to buy high on a 4th year dude who's good for 2 catches for 25 yards a game.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots initial final roster:

E: Btw I presume the deal is N'Keal Harry goes on IR tomorrow because only players that go on after tomorrow can come back in the season, and that's Hoyer's roster spot.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 31, 2021

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NE
BUF
MIA/NYJ

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It does feel like moreso then a lot of years, the pre-season news was like literally nothing but bad news for more teams then usual.

Like outside of Wilson looking good, the Vikings / Jets / Dolphins / Bengals / Ravens / Colts / Texans all seemed to have nothing but bad vibes the last month.

E: How could I forget the loving Jaguars.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

McCorkle also not a leading man