Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sasha using her personal experience to help troubled kids was a nice ending for her as well along with Anne becoming a herpetologist. I do wish Marcy had wound up on a better career path than successful webcomic creator given her intelligence but there's still time to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Larryb posted:

Sasha using her personal experience to help troubled kids was a nice ending for her as well along with Anne becoming a herpetologist. I do wish Marcy had wound up on a better career path than successful webcomic creator given her intelligence but there's still time to be fair.

I'll assume she does that on the side next to a STEM career.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

I mean, if it makes Marcy happy and lets her make a living (which it seems to), who are we to judge?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, if it makes Marcy happy and lets her make a living (which it seems to), who are we to judge?

Fair point

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Webcomic creator is so painfully on brand for Marcy though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Webcomic creator is so painfully on brand for Marcy though.

True, this is the girl who spent most of her time at school playing on her Switch after all. Finding a way to make money off of indulging in her fantasies does sound like something that would be right up Marcy’s alley in retrospect

Also her dad’s new boss must have been pretty forgiving for him to delay the move for the 6+ months his daughter was missing (though then again we don’t know what the job was or how soon they were planning to move)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 15, 2022

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I can only imagine how many times a day Marcy’s webcomic updates with entire political treatises, building blueprints, plant studies, and other myriad details about her setting that have wildly varying amounts of relevance to the plot, but mostly not at all. And how we’d eat it up.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also Hop Pop finally achieved his dream of growing avocados

How did that happen, anyway? I thought they lost the one he had.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DrakePegasus posted:

I can only imagine how many times a day Marcy’s webcomic updates with entire political treatises, building blueprints, plant studies, and other myriad details about her setting that have wildly varying amounts of relevance to the plot, but mostly not at all. And how we’d eat it up.

It's probably Kill Six Billion Demons dense, yeah.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elman posted:

Maybe Polly dabbled in genetic engineering in her later years or something (or they somehow uncovered an avocado source somewhere on Amphibia)

Alternatively, maybe he had time to snag a few when the gang was back on earth during All In

DrakePegasus posted:

I kind of hope the upcoming Marcy’s Journal book will be something along those lines honestly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 15, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Larryb posted:

True, this is the girl who spent most of her time at school playing on her Switch after all. Finding a way to make money off of indulging in her fantasies does sound like something that would be right up Marcy’s alley in retrospect

Also her dad’s new boss must have been pretty forgiving for him to delay the move for the 6+ months his daughter was missing (though then again we don’t know what the job was or how soon they were planning to move)

I kind of assumed her parents went through with the move while she was missing? We don't ever actually see them in-person during the Earth portion of season 3 so I assumed they had gone through with the move while keeping connected on the search for Marcy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KingKalamari posted:

I kind of assumed her parents went through with the move while she was missing? We don't ever actually see them in-person during the Earth portion of season 3 so I assumed they had gone through with the move while keeping connected on the search for Marcy.

Anne writes them a letter at the end of the Christmas episode (also at the end of All In Marcy asks Anne’s parents to tell their families they’re ok) but it could be possible they already moved and Marcy just caught a ride from someone when she finally got home.

Then again, we never meet or even hear much about Sasha’s parents either aside from the same episode implying that they were currently separated so who knows

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 15, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if that webcomic is just Marcy retelling everyone's adventures on Amphibia.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder if that webcomic is just Marcy retelling everyone's adventures on Amphibia.

Same, but also information she gleaned from the Core

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think the joke with Marcy is the webcomic is likely based on her adventures in Amphibia.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

He lost the one when he went back to Amphibia the first time but he was back on Earth for a bit during the final battle. Maybe off screen he ran by a store and pocketed a few before getting back on the castle for the final return trip. Side note on that: I'm glad they didn't kill Hop Pop. I figured they'd do a flashforward at the end but was worried they'd off him in the interlude and like, just have the farm named in his honor, or some such poo poo.

Anyway, everyone be sure to get your local magic gems to the nearest group of multicultural teens learning life lessons soon!

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1523338334793191424

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 16, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

He lost the one when he went back to Amphibia the first time but he was back on Earth for a bit during the final battle. Maybe off screen he ran by a store and pocketed a few before getting back on the castle for the final return trip. Side note on that: I'm glad they didn't kill Hop Pop. I figured they'd do a flashforward at the end but was worried they'd off him in the interlude and like, just have the farm named in his honor, or some such poo poo.

Hop Pop raised way too many death flags throughout the series for them to actually kill him off

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 16, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Larryb posted:

Hop Pop raised way too many death flags throughout the series for them to actually kill him off

They couldn't even bring themselves to kill Andrias after he threw himself on the Anne grenade.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Madurai posted:

They couldn't even bring themselves to kill Andrias after he threw himself on the Anne grenade.

Actually if you look closely at the scene Anne missed him on purpose (she moves slightly away from the cockpit when tearing through the robot).

In retrospect I didn’t mind the Andrias redemption as much as I thought I would (if you think about it his relationship to his father/the Core was essentially a dark mirror of the initial relationship between Anne and Sasha), I just wish the show had spent a bit more time developing it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Didn't see this posted:
https://twitter.com/DisneyChannel/status/1525903262934872065?cxt=HHwWgsC9zdu7jK0qAAAA

So, we're just over a month out from the anniversary of the debut. Who wants to start over with a rewatch?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Didn't see this posted:
https://twitter.com/DisneyChannel/status/1525903262934872065?cxt=HHwWgsC9zdu7jK0qAAAA

So, we're just over a month out from the anniversary of the debut. Who wants to start over with a rewatch?

I know I’m planning a personal rewatch at least (even though I only caught up with the series for the first time fairly recently), I imagine some of the early episodes will ring very differently with full context of the story.

Out of curiosity, did Matt have this all planned out from the start or did they kind of flesh it out as they went (I think I heard somewhere that starting out he had only written up to Reunion).

It’s interesting that we never got a flashback episode fully going into the day Anne stole and opened the box and instead just doled it out to us in pieces as the series went on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Anne’s parents should be proud of her, their daughter is eventually going to grow up to be God (wonder if she got any media attention when she got home regarding the whole saving the world with superpowers thing)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 16, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Boonchuy is a common name, nobody has the mind to connect the dots. Also it's LA. They probably forgot most of this by the time they focused on the next big celebrity feud.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Boonchuy is a common name, nobody has the mind to connect the dots. Also it's LA. They probably forgot most of this by the time they focused on the next big celebrity feud.

Hell, 10 years later we have some people thinking it was all a hoax according to the news report at the end

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Magical girls can't melt steel beams

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, did Matt have this all planned out from the start or did they kind of flesh it out as they went (I think I heard somewhere that starting out he had only written up to Reunion).

I know he's said in other interviews that from the start he planned it as a three-book story (smart planning considering that Disney almost always cans shows after 3 seasons). I'd imagine he probably had the broad strokes, especially the season finales/where the books would split, all there at the beginning. It would be interesting to know exactly how much, if at all, things changed along the way.

Larryb posted:

Hell, 10 years later we have some people thinking it was all a hoax according to the news report at the end

I mean, it did only happen in one city (and LA's huge, so make that one small area of one city), the invasion wrapped up in only a few hours, and it was ultimately repelled not thanks to the military or anything but by a local teenager going Super Saiyan Blue and fighting a robot newt (and thanks to it being a Disney show, there were no casualties :v:!). poo poo, if I were an eyewitness I'd probably still have to watch footage every now and then to convince myself I didn't have a mental breakdown during a normal terrorist attack and hallucinate all the frogs and robots and poo poo.

tokin opposition posted:

Magical girls can't melt steel beams

Loose Coppers

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 17, 2022

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The government also probably classified a whole ton of actual details leaving only phone footage and news reports as the visual evidence it happened.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly? Didn't care much for the finale. Like it's fine and does what it needs to and it's great seeing more super saiyan modes and seeing everybody's lives continuing on in the future, but I kinda felt it was a little bland.

I think the biggest intent of the ending was to do something really anime, and they sure did it. And I feel about it the way I feel about a lot of anime endings. A lot of animes don't really know how long of a run they're going to get, so they have to be ready to kludge together things at the last moment and don't really manage to put much groundwork into how things are going to end, sometimes they're following a manga version and the "proper" ending hasn't been written yet, so what does get done is just animators freestyling things, so it'll be visually impressive, but lacking in real complexity. I feel like it's pretty rare for a big anime to end in an orderly, well-planned way.

Of course, even manga can get unexpectedly cut soon, or sometimes authors just don't really have an idea of what they're going to do when they get to the end, like they put a lot of work into starting a story, and maybe steadily move it forward, but just don't really have a planned conclusion to go for. Then they just come up with ideas at the last moment without having left much groundwork for them first, grasp at straws trying to find mysterious dangling plot threads to repurpose at the last moment. Existentialism and abstractly leaping to different planes of existence also feel like cop-outs to me. Like if you want to escalate things and you've already done fate of the world stuff, why not go for the fate of existence? Want to put a final thesis statement or some final revelation into the ending but can't figure out how to make it work contextually? Why not get god to do it. Also having some kind of "outside" perspective can be an easy way to put in some metacommentary on the experience of consuming media. But either way if you're breaking with the tone and context and setting from the rest of the show, it won't seem like it fits.

And more specifically, the final confrontation wasn't really that interesting, sure it was fancy animation, but the characters didn't really think much about how to do things, just the moon's headed towards earth, just push it straight back. Don't try shutting down the moon engines or anything. It's supposed to be an escalation of things, but it seems weaker thematically than the penultimate episode of all of Amphibia united together and also the US government turning out to be helpful. I guess neat to hear Charlene Yi in a very different role from usual.

kidcoelacanth posted:

how a snail and bird gently caress tho

Knowing about snail and bird genitalia just makes it weirder, because they got some real weird stuff under the hood.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I liked the ending, but there's one thing I can't figure out.

How did they get all that dust to shoot out of my tv?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently Anne will live to the ripe old age of 91 according to the Guardian (granted, she now knows her days are literally numbered and is technically a clone but she’s got a nice, full life ahead of her and she gets to become God at the end of it all so I guess it evens out)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 17, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I feel like Sasha should have gotten a statue or some kind of commemoration as well seeing as she did help organize and lead the resistance and was responsible for defeating and saving Marcy from the Core (but maybe the toads made something for her elsewhere)

I also wonder where Percy and Braddock went after they left Grime’s army in Season 2 (I still wish they’d brought them back somehow though so Sasha could properly apologize to them)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Larryb posted:

On another note, I feel like Sasha should have gotten a statue or some kind of commemoration as well seeing as she did help organize and lead the resistance and was responsible for defeating and saving Marcy from the Core (but maybe the toads made something for her elsewhere)

I also wonder where Percy and Braddock went after they left Grime’s army in Season 2 (I still wish they’d brought them back somehow though so Sasha could properly apologize to them)

Figure Anne, Sasha and even Marcy got statues in whatever was left in Newtopia. Anne got the statue in Wartwood because she became their special "collective human daughter" I think.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Everyone posted:

Figure Anne, Sasha and even Marcy got statues in whatever was left in Newtopia. Anne got the statue in Wartwood because she became their special "collective human daughter" I think.

Makes sense, especially since Anne literally died for Amphibia’s sins even though God patched her up immediately afterwards (Marcy already had a statue in the city though but it probably got destroyed when Andrias went full mask off villain and started strip mining the planet). As I’ve said before, I am curious if Newtopia’s still standing though and who if anyone is in charge now

Off the subject, I’m still a little disappointed we never got a Weirdmageddon style version of the opening after Anne and the Plantars got back to Amphibia.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Anyway, if you haven’t already I’d recommend checking out this guy’s channel as he does a lot of pretty good songs inspired by Owl House, Amphibia, and other media:

https://youtube.com/c/OhGeeezNotAgain/videos

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Larryb posted:

Sasha does have that wicked kick flip statue from season 1. The toads probably made a larger version of that and a Commander version

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Joe Johnston shared a decidedly non-canon alternate ending to the series.
https://twitter.com/JoetheJohnston/status/1526293470016466944

Also Matt's given us our marching orders:
https://twitter.com/radrappy/status/1526571456842280960?s=21&t=_5nOuTshEsvMPknWWKFhEw
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1526571459304300544
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1526571461875363840

Definitely going to do 3) In exactly one month to coincide with the 3-year anniversary.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Two other neat details I just noticed during the timeskip portion of the finale:

-Andrias is tilling the fields using Barrel’s warhammer

-Anne’s exhibit at the aquarium is a miniature recreation of Amphibia (complete with the Plantar farm, Newtopia, Proteus, and Toad Tower)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Two other neat details I just noticed during the timeskip portion of the finale:

-Andrias is tilling the fields using Barrel’s warhammer

-Anne’s exhibit at the aquarium is a miniature recreation of Amphibia (complete with the Plantar farm, Newtopia, Proteus, and Toad Tower)

Andreas also has the pin Marcy gave him, but now more openly displayed on his chest.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xelkelvos posted:

Andreas also has the pin Marcy gave him, but now more openly displayed on his chest.

I admit that I didn't think they could sell me on Andreas getting redemption but they did.

That said, when it it come to The Owl House, Belos needs to loving die in pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That was an Axis Shock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7he_-91LR8

drat.