Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I think I've previously said a couple of things about wtf things they did to make the German releases of the other games palatable for the authorities there, but Generals blows them all out of the water. We'll get there when we get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
For anyone playing along I can recommend GenTool with the ControlBarPro mod which gives you better working high resolution with a more appropriate HUD.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Dabir posted:

Does this actually work with base Generals? It seems like it's specific to Zero Hour.

Ah so it would seem. My bad, I was using another mod as well but figured at least this far it should work with the base game.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Psion posted:

(the guard command is so, so excellent)

It is and it's criminal we haven't really seen it much in RTS games since.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Balancing out having the M1 Abrams in WW2

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I was going to wait until we saw the terrorist unit in action but since it's not that useful and we're through with the GLA campaign...

Generals had a bit of a troubled history in Germany due to its themes. The German version, Generäle, saw some cuts such as one or two missions. I'm pretty sure I never saw that riot mission back in the day. As in previous Command & Conquer games all the people in the game were turned into robots (consequently toxins were renamed to acid, because you know, you can't kill a robot with poison), this time with hastily photoshopped icons. And yes, that means there's a unit that's a mob of angry robots. One thing however that would just have been too silly was turning the suicide terrorist unit into a robot. They did the logical thing and replaced him with a bomb on wheels. Feast your eyes on one of the crowning achievements of German videogame localisations.

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 3, 2021

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The drones have always been such a non choice for me. Do I want the one that shoots and repairs or the one that doesn't? Sure you'll take along one or two spotter drones, but still... Not to mention we already have two global abilities that reveal stealth units.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Commanche deathbaaall

The Lone Badger posted:

Didn't the terrans get a specialized anti-mutalisk-deathball unit in the expansion?

The protoss got one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Since jobbo pretty much directly brought it up: the different general factions are a pretty big selling point for this expansion.

I still can't believe we had to wait until the expansion for the generals in C&C Generals