Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which should I play as for the Generals Challenge? [Pick 3]
This poll is closed.
Laser 60 14.74%
Air Power 34 8.35%
Super Weapons 49 12.04%
Tanks 26 6.39%
Infantry 39 9.58%
Nuclear Power 68 16.71%
Toxin 48 11.79%
Stealth 42 10.32%
Explosives 41 10.07%
Total: 189 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Generals owned when I was younger, I think it was the first C&C game I actually finished, most of the earlier ones I tended to find the later missions an unfun slog and didn't bother to complete them. The sound effects and stuff were also generally better developed in terms of making blowing things up feel more rewarding, almost all weapons really sounded like they hit and had a punch to them, while sometimes in the earlier games weapons could just feel like they were bouncing off and doing really minor damage, and I'd argue that it generally has better balance in terms of making sure every unit in the game is one you'll actually want to produce.

Obviously, yeah, in retrospect, it features a bunch of stereotypes, but I still think that the actual gameplay works pretty well.

Sadly, I recall from trying to play it again a while back that it's not super easy to get running on newer machines in a way that isn't janky as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The plot sorta ramps up by the end of things, but I cannot stress enough just how crazy things will get to once Zero Hour arrives. Until then, you'll just have to live with the suspense because I don't want to spoil that for anyone who hasn't seen it. :)

Weirdly, though I think I got every other C&C game AND their expansions... I think I somehow missed Zero Hour. Probably because I lent my copy of Generals to someone and they never returned it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is every Chinese mission going to start with a cutscene of them eating poo poo at the hands of the GLA? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Being able to flood map sections by destroying dams and stuff would've been cool to see more as a general mechanic rather than a one-off set piece, just for the tactical potential of it. I can't recall if we see anything else similar again in the game, but my memory says no.

Also on the lack of FMV's... The FMV's always gave the C&C games a sort of schlocky B-movie vibe, which some of them leaned into more and others tried to fight against, which worked well for them with the sci-fi vibe in all of them. I don't think it would've worked for Generals at all, I think they took the right approach.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the hackers, I greatly enjoy breaking systems that are intended to have a limited economy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Not sure, but we'll get to cut content... eventually.

I'm curious to learn more about this in due time, in a lot of games you can really tell there was cut content, and often recognize it, but I never got that vibe from Generals. It felt relatively "finished."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think Overlord tanks may be the most OP incarnation of the Mammoth in any C&C game. With the right split of upgrades, a group of Overlords can be pretty much invincible against the AI.

Human enemies, of course, have a variety of solutions, but on most difficulties it makes "attack+move" the winning strategy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For some reason I remembered this mission as being particularly long and grinding, not sure why.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I generally found the GLA pretty easy to play because they let you sidestep a lot of the up-front actual fighting of enemies.

Also, one thing that I found somewhat unique about C&C Generals is that I enjoyed all the factions. In most games there's one or more factions that I just consider tedious and unfun to play, too gimmicky or not gimmicky enough or underpowered or whatever. But in Generals, I had fun with all three, which I take as an accomplishment.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think the reason we don't see more "expand the map as the fight goes on"-levels in RTS games is that they're probably easier to do wrong than right. Like, if you expand the map in the wrong direction, you might suddenly invalidate a lot of fixed defenses the player's built. Plus a lot of RTS games' gameplay is kind of "survive until you reach your max tech tier for the map, then grind down the enemy." So if you're already at the max tech tier, unlocking another map section just means more grinding, since you're already over the part of the battle that requires some kind of conscious thought.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How susceptible is burton to fire and anthrax? Is it his one true bane?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

3) If you were for some odd reason rallying a poo poo ton of scorpion tanks into the river and there's a big enough queue at the arms dealer, they will happily pull a valkyria chronicles on you and drive their tanks under the water after the wave passes. This does not destroy them.

C&C Generals 2, now with the Global Liberation Aquatics. Angry Fish Mobs to replace Angry Mobs.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I don't feel anyone's commented on so far is that the USA faction music feels intentionally like it's conjuring up the soundtracks of Hans Zimmer, who, while responsible for an INSANE number of soundtracks, is probably most recognizable in doing soundtracks for "USA MILITARY STRONG" or "techno-thriller"(i.e. gunwank) movies like The Rock, Broken Arrow, Black Hawk Down, etc. where I feel he has a style that's at once unique and generic because it's very recognizable, but it's in so many movies that it feels mass-produced anyway. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Was it just me or did I see GLA rocket troops/stinger sites try to shoot down the Tomahawk's rockets a couple of times?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm glad that "internet archiving" is getting more recognized as a worthwhile activity these days.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do we ever learn what BNN is short for?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

In my mind it was "Breaking News Network." But those others also make sense.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

what is it with every RTS ever having shorter and shorter campaigns as time goes on? I don't like it one bit. And how did Starcraft 2 break that mold?

I don't think Starcraft 2 was actually that much longer than many other games, I think it was just that the game felt interminable in length because it was so loving bad.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I gotta admit, my favourite part of Zero Hour so far is the reporter guy. His delivery is so spot on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I assume the ARC is the Absolutely Revolutionary Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-VAL7Epn3o&t=168s

Tiberian Sun's pathfinding is still insane to me.

This is actually a really good video.