Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Season 8 is dead! Long live Season 9!

Here are the change report stats:

Most valuable squad - Carnival Flayers

Most improved squad - Old Man and the FC

Most improved squad by % - Anti Vaxx FC

(I'm fairly sure that the numbers for Sweet Envy FC are glitched out, sorry dude)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

PTizzle posted:

I'm genuinely honoured I'm still a worthy soaping target despite being relegated :patriot:

Has been a good scrap in the Elite Goonship this season! Flayer has been killing it.
And you stole TotM for Feb, you son of a gun!

Had an ok-ish CR, mainly boosted by a double jumping youth with 2 good skills into a 20/8. About 4 million gained just there.

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah i have no idea what's happened to my stats there, we didn't even have a good season.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Value is weird because I had a really decent CR overall. Lot of plus sixes. No doubles, though. Surprised my team value went down but uh I guess at some point they become old boring veterans.

cls amg 63 0 60

This is my team's prime and I need to power through this second tier this season... Though based on who will be there it won't be easy!

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 8, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

The game is making up for throwing only one youth at me all of last season by throwing 4 at me already this season. They're all terrible.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I highly appreciate everyone else in Elite Goonship drawing for 2 weeks. You don't need those points!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

Dragongem posted:

I highly appreciate everyone else in Elite Goonship drawing for 2 weeks. You don't need those points!

It surely has made the rest of the division more competitive.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Bringing back the bruise and heavily mark the keeper tactic I see. It will take more than to stop the enormous Icelandic giant I have in goal!

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I forgot I can actually lose games. That's weird.

Time to see if my team can handle Nephizno and reclaim my rightful spot on top!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Dragongem posted:

I forgot I can actually lose games. That's weird.

Time to see if my team can handle Nephizno and reclaim my rightful spot on top!

You are not in a promotion spot and The River Rovers are only one point behind in the relegation zone. :c00lbutt:

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 7, 2022

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hard Trainer and Greedy are the best player skills in this game aren't they, shame both are hidden.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I don't get this game, it's honestly making me lose interest. Form and strength don't seem to really matter and when you add in the game randomly changing your tactics, it makes it hard to keep playing. It really sucks because I like the idea of this game.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Hard trainer is 100% the best attribute in the game.
Form is worth about 1 skill per 4 form above or below with 10 being centre, quite important to keep high form if you want to win!

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Subliminal Ninja posted:

Form is worth about 1 skill per 4 form above or below with 10 being centre, quite important to keep high form if you want to win!

That doesn't seem to really be the case. The last 2 seasons I have had amongst the league's best form and according to the game, one of the strongest teams and highest manager ratings. I know there is an element of luck but I must be missing something that is preventing my team from having good results.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

dalstrs posted:

I don't get this game, it's honestly making me lose interest. Form and strength don't seem to really matter and when you add in the game randomly changing your tactics, it makes it hard to keep playing. It really sucks because I like the idea of this game.

Sounds odd. It might be that you're setting your tactics wrong or something to do with the "set default tactics" checkbox, if you want to check you can look in the Matches menu and click the set tactics icon for each individual upcoming match, making sure the default tactics box is un-checked when you save them.

If you're referring to something like "why are my players making crosses from the wing when I told them to do through plays?" then it's because the offensive tactics you set are only modifying the frequency at which your team attempts each different type of play. Your team is still attempting to do through plays more often than wing plays, but in the match viewer you're only seeing those plays which result in chances on goal. Sometimes it just so happens that one of the less-frequently-attempted wing plays results in a chance while your other plays get shut down. The same applies to long range shots, if you select that then they will still try to make shots from the penalty area but will more frequently attempt long range shots, but you will only see the ones that end with a chance.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

bees everywhere posted:

Sounds odd. It might be that you're setting your tactics wrong or something to do with the "set default tactics" checkbox, if you want to check you can look in the Matches menu and click the set tactics icon for each individual upcoming match, making sure the default tactics box is un-checked when you save them.

If you're referring to something like "why are my players making crosses from the wing when I told them to do through plays?" then it's because the offensive tactics you set are only modifying the frequency at which your team attempts each different type of play. Your team is still attempting to do through plays more often than wing plays, but in the match viewer you're only seeing those plays which result in chances on goal. Sometimes it just so happens that one of the less-frequently-attempted wing plays results in a chance while your other plays get shut down. The same applies to long range shots, if you select that then they will still try to make shots from the penalty area but will more frequently attempt long range shots, but you will only see the ones that end with a chance.

On tactics, there have been at least 2 or 3 times I remember setting for a specific ref and then having one of the settings reset to my default when the game is played. (In my last game it checked on the offsides trap)

I usually don't run special attack tactics unless I see my opponent is constantly playing a style of defense. I'm very reactive in making my choices based on what my opponent does. According to the game, I rank as the 3rd best coach in the league, I know that doesn't mean anything, but I would think that if I was misunderstanding something fundamental it wouldn't score me that high. Here is my last game, aside from the offsides trap is there anything that stands out as wrong? I'm the right side. http://www.xperteleven.com/gameDetails.aspx?GameID=319752927&dh=2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 8, 2022

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

dalstrs posted:

On tactics, there have been at least 2 or 3 times I remember setting for a specific ref and then having one of the settings reset to my default when the game is played. (In my last game it checked on the offsides trap)

I usually don't run special attack tactics unless I see my opponent is constantly playing a style of defense. I'm very reactive in making my choices based on what my opponent does. According to the game, I rank as the 3rd best coach in the league, I know that doesn't mean anything, but I would think that if I was misunderstanding something fundamental it wouldn't score me that high. Here is my last game, aside from the offsides trap is there anything that stands out as wrong? I'm the right side. http://www.xperteleven.com/gameDetails.aspx?GameID=319752927&dh=2

I took a look at your team. Your tactics are pretty predictable. You have two forwards so that limits the formations you can play. Your opponent was able to correctly guess the right formation. You play 5-4-1 pretty regularly. Even though you guessed his playmaker the formation was the deciding factor. You played pressure into a midfield which outnumbered yours and the opposing offense overwhelmed your defense.

Formations are a critical part of the game. Unlike real football where having a constant formation is good. In the 7 matches I have played I have used 4 different formations.

The only reason I beat you in our match was home field advantage and I had a 250k win bonus.

Tiger Crazy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 9, 2022

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Tiger Crazy posted:

I took a look at your team. Your tactics are pretty predictable. You have two forwards so that limits the formations you can play. Your opponent was able to correctly guess the right formation. You play 4-5-1 pretty regularly. Even though you guessed his playmaker the formation was the deciding factor. You played pressure into a midfield which outnumbered yours and the opposing offense overwhelmed your defense.

Formations are a critical part of the game. Unlike real football where having a constant formation is good. In the 7 matches I have played I have used 4 different formations.

The only reason I beat you in our match was home field advantage and I had a 250k win bonus.

Thanks for the notes, looks like there are a couple things I was not understanding correctly. I thought I had been mixing up the formation more than I had. I also thought pressure was more a youth and stamina measure than a measure of midfield vs midfield (I probably should have read the tip note here).

It would be nice to see some other folks doing tactic checks/ discussions as well. A little more activity in this thread would be good for the league.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Some other tips:

- This is just my opinion based off of what I've seen, but I think it's better to have a good playmaker who is getting closely marked than it is to have no playmaker at all. The combination of their skill + form is the most important thing but you can get a lot more mileage out of them if their SQs support your tactics. In your case Sidney Lightfoot would be a good choice if you're doing through plays, and Werner Pianti would be a good choice if you were doing wing plays (although your higher-skilled players might be a better choice in his case). If you have players with cheat or tough then they would be a better choice for cheating and bruise tactics, if you have someone with stamina they would be a good choice for pressure, etc. The 'intelligent' SQ is usually considered the best for playmakers because it makes those players more effective when they're supporting defense + offense.

- Regarding your use of offside traps (the ref's skill rating is the biggest factor):

https://www.xperteleven.com/ruler.aspx?RuleID=34 posted:

Offside traps:
If you tell your defenders to use offside traps they will leave the opponents in offside positions most of the time but when they fail your opponents will break away from the defence and have a good chance of scoring. When the referee is not very skilled (low S-value) he is not very good at judging offsides and if he is not very hard (low H-value) he might allow some offsides you think are obvious. Playing with offside traps will make it harder for your opponents to create scoring opportunities but the chances they have will instead be more dangerous.

- IMO it's usually a good idea to select some offensive tactics other than "Varied". Most players leave their defensive tactics at "Normal" so you can score a little bonus to your offense by focusing on something else. If you think they will tighten the wings or center and you're not sure which, then "Varied" is a good safe option to take.

- 5-4-1 offensive can be really effective and can also a good choice for away games. It also suits your current squad well because it allows you to easily put your best 11 players on the pitch. In this case, Honking Geese was likely to play 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 and they have a lot of really solid midfielders. They don't have any really scary forwards though so your 5 defenders are a bit wasted here. This allowed them to dominate the midfield while leaving your lone forward isolated. 5-3-2 offensive w/ long balls might have worked better for you here (especially since he went 3-5-2 in the end) but you could have also gone 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 yourself. Option D is 5-4-1 very defensive and go for the draw, but that wouldn't have been necessary here.

- I would say that if you were hoping to take all 3 points in this match, then a 100k win bonus is too low for an away game against an evenly-matched squad. The fact that he put down a 250k win bonus meant that it was already going to be a difficult match for you. Keep in mind that 250k win bonuses for home games are not very sustainable so you don't need to go big in every single game to succeed. For away games I would say 100k should be your minimum, while anything over 500k is just a waste unless you're about to win a title or save yourself from relegation (sometimes it might be better to just get relegated). In this case he was willing to sacrifice a lot more for the W and I'm sure it made a big difference.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
One win away from being locked into promotion to the big time!

Tiger Crazy you should be rooting for me on Thursday so I have nothing to play for :v:

Edit: hah, I didn't check the thread in awhile so I didn't see the prior comments. Some commentary:

1. Bees is correct. I basically have two formations, and both have five midfielders. I've found (and whether this is true to real football, not sure) that one of the key choices in picking the formation is whether you're going to dominate the midfield and possession, or you're going to accept their midfield is stronger, go long balls, and do something like a 4-3-3 or 5-3-2 to win on counters. Going 4 vs. 5 midfield, especially trying to go without long balls, is difficult.

2. 5 defenders is great versus teams with great forwards. My forwards are, uh, lousy. I love games with only a few chances on each sides because I have a really good goalkeeper and defense, and I can usually hope to squeak out a win that way. I usually lose shootout games because I just can't convert well enough.

3. I went 150k at home, and I think 250k on the road. That's pretty standard given that I'm playing to win at some cost to my future development (my youth are not having much playing time right now).

For more commentary, here's my home and away tactics versus Cancel Culture FC. The home one I basically threw away 3 points, and the away one I got the 3 I felt like I deserved:

Home (lost 1-3):

My general thought process was "I'm going to use my home advantage to dominate possession, and play aggressively to generate chances while trusting my defense to prevent his forwards from taking advantage."

Several things doomed me here:

- I thought they'd go with through plays, but he went wing plays.
- It was a S3/H9 ref. I went with a careful aggression because I was nervous about red cards and didn't want players suspended from my upcoming tilts against Nephizno. Shoplifter went normal and got a huge bonus from it. Generally, the thought is "H1-3 is bruising, H4-6 is normal, H7-9 is careful". However, you can risk going a little harder at the cost of a potential red card/more yellows. Shoplifter got 3 yellows but did not get a red, and they got away with it this time.
- I went offensive. I outthought myself here. I always get punished trying to open up the game a little, because surprise! I failed to convert chances!
- Also, maybe should have cheated with the S3/H9 ref. I think that's the ideal cheating one.

I still could have won that game, but I made some really bad errors.

Away (Won 0-3):

This went much better. I played more true to my team's strengths and as a result got rewarded 3 points that I thought my team could get. In this one, I made some better choices:

- I figured out the 3-5-2 tilt while throwing the 4-5-1 out there.
- I got the wing play right this time.
- I smartly played cautiously, which meant that I was going to play a much tighter game where I could keep Shoplifter from getting a lot of shots on the goal. I generally like cautious and defensive on the road for that reason. (this is not a secret, I am not afraid of parking that bus)
- Also went offside traps versus the H9/S9 rep, which was the right play.

So yeah, tale of two different approaches. Hopefully that helps in some of the thought process. I might talk later about how I approached Nephizno (who I only got 1 of 6 points against a slightly superior team), too. We won't talk about the fact that the ref gave 5 yellows but refused to give a single red card to his dirty mean team on our home tilt.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 10, 2022

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gonna lol when this S9H9 ref leaves me with not enough players to field a lineup in the final game.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Dragongem posted:

One win away from being locked into promotion to the big time!

Tiger Crazy you should be rooting for me on Thursday so I have nothing to play for :v:

I can avoid a regulation fight if I win against Cancel Culture. I have to hope that Balamb continues their unbeaten run. It would make sure that my last game against you is moot.

Tactics in this game can be really deep. I tend to play too offensively and it burns me more often than not.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Tiger Crazy posted:

I can avoid a regulation fight if I win against Cancel Culture. I have to hope that Balamb continues their unbeaten run. It would make sure that my last game against you is moot.

Tactics in this game can be really deep. I tend to play too offensively and it burns me more often than not.

this has been my issue for a couple of seasons now - playing too offensively without the right formations - and if I ever cared enough to stop I'd probably be way more effective

But nah

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Problem is that if you don't play offensively enough your forwards never get good DV and you'll never convert the fewer chances you get against the better teams.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Almost our whole division is engaged for this game. Gonna be a lot of trying to outthink each other.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Almost our whole division is engaged for this game. Gonna be a lot of trying to outthink each other.

I'm already a lock for promotion. All DV all the time baybee.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Woo, secured promotion to the big time. DV's a little rough because of it (my kid defenders are all on a one-way trip to the farm), but the time to win is now.

Also good news for everyone in the league, Feces and Cancel are playing each other to survive relegation so I don't feel bad about trotting a bunch of children and potentially throwing my next game.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

I secured my safety. Time to play all my mediocre youths as well. Also don't forget to bet in the xpert pools where all the money is now more money with those big payouts.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I guess I still have a chance if AC Dadbod somehow pulls off a big win. Go, Dadbod, go! Pay no attention to the fact that you are safe from relegation!

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

bees everywhere posted:

I guess I still have a chance if AC Dadbod somehow pulls off a big win. Go, Dadbod, go! Pay no attention to the fact that you are safe from relegation!

If you're lucky I might set a win bonus for the form increase on my youth.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
When do we start training for post-DV form bumps?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

When do we start training for post-DV form bumps?

Already. The rule of thumb a few seasons back was posted that as soon as the transfer window shows "hours til open" you can train.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
After 2 relegations in a row and a season where I just didn't have the time or energy to make anything happen, I'm sadly resigning from The Bridesmaids.

Some lucky goon can pick up a decent team which admittedly needs a rework but should absolutely walk the 3rd division, given that in the last 5 seasons we finished 2nd in the top flight twice.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I think considering I'm going down with no money and terrible DV on all of my key players it might be time for that big rebuild I've been avoiding for 3 seasons now :unsmith:

Nice to get a win on the way out at least. Congrats ABCDE FC

Anyone got any tips for increasing goalkeeper DV? Should I be setting defensive tactics more often or do you want to give up shots to let him have more to stop? In the past I've often just bought high end GKs but I'm keen to work with this one given he'll be a golden heart by age 28.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 17, 2022

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Hallelujah! I stayed up! Despite a -5 goal difference and only scoring 8 goals in 10 games still managed to finish 3rd in Serie Goon. What a weird season.

Too bad your goal got disallowed, Pigs!

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Finally got promotion from the bottom league and feel my team is ready to make its push! Average age of 23 and average skill of 9.3 over 13 core players. FC Rimmers champs within 6 seasons, you heard it here first.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did someone forget to press a button on the new season?

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Nephzinho posted:

Did someone forget to press a button on the new season?

I usually try to give it a few days after the change report in case anyone wants to join the league. It's also easier to arrange friendlies before you push the button.

If anyone is on the fence about joining right now, now is the time! And we have a great team waiting for a manager.

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

Join the game. It is a fun thing to pay attention to twice a week, with a little bit of friendly competition.

I never understand when the change report comes out. I don't think I will get a double jump. I don't think they exist, just a myth made up to make me spend my econ buxs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009

Tiger Crazy posted:

I never understand when the change report comes out. I don't think I will get a double jump. I don't think they exist, just a myth made up to make me spend my econ buxs.

Two days after the last game. And doubles definitely exist and feel great! Until your 18/7 doesn’t jump the season after.

Also join the game, it’s fun and takes very little time out of your day! (Unless you’re a tinkerer and change tactics four times before every game)