Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

not_superiority posted:

my truck is making jingling noises that im terrified to have diagnosed because of forever covid and the thousands it will cost.

that's probably just a wheel bearing

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Rainbow Six Extraction was originally going to be about some kind of pathogen or virus, and they only switched to ALIENS because making a game about a disease outbreak after COVID had already happened was too real.

I mean the book Rainbow six was about eco-terrorists trying to release a plague to cull humanity down to a more manageable level so it would be in keeping with the lore.

Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty convinced that Rainbow Six Extraction was originally going to be about some kind of pathogen or virus, and they only switched to ALIENS because making a game about a disease outbreak after COVID had already happened was too real.

The idea of the government doing something about a pathogen or virus is too far fetched.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Is there an app where you can upload a car sound and a group of mechanics crowdsource what it signifies? Because there should be

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

thats more or less what i got from googling. probably going to wait for the dip in cases and get it fixed, provided i don't get loving fleeced because my bank won't let me pay my own bills (they need escrow to """make sure the bills get paid""")

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is there an app where you can upload a car sound and a group of mechanics crowdsource what it signifies? Because there should be

look for a xyz vehicle fanatics forum not unlike this dead gay comedy forum, there's a ton of them that are more or less like what you want

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Uglycat posted:

Woke up sneezing forever, early this morning. Nose was funny af. Called off work, did the pcr thing (5 days to results), took my temp (98°), stayed home. Nasal drip has gone away, no headaches... I wear an elastomeric when i'm out of the house, and much of the time when I'm home (I have 3 roommates).

Been puzzling on this, then I remembered that the tobacco shop was out of spirit yellow yesterday so I bought nat sherman blue instead - wondering if the change in tobacco brand could account for it?

I'm a bit late on this, but yes. It absolutely could.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!
christ I always forget this was official and not some weird deviantart parody thing

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rent pays itself, if you think about it.

Heyyyy don't worry about it, maybe it'll all just work out for the best????

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Death Panel Czar posted:

christ I always forget this was official and not some weird deviantart parody thing

The whole story is also hilarious for how much the media loved the Trumpian tough guy image he was projecting.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Louisgod posted:

no, this can't be real

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/arts/design/cuomo-covid-poster-new-york.html

e:

NY Times posted:

Mao Zedong wrote poetry. Bill Clinton played saxophone. Winston Churchill and George W. Bush both turned to painting. For some politicians, only art can calm the passions after a long day — and Gov. Andrew Cuomo, now steering New York to a cautious reopening after the deaths of 32,000 citizens, has lately taken solace in the discipline of graphic design.

"Graphic design is his passion."

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 27, 2022

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The idea of the government doing something about a pathogen or virus is too far fetched.

XCOM 2012 is interesting in the context of COVID. Everyone but China immediately withdraws from the project, citing we must learn to live with the aliens.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

Your wife caught COVID at one of those events you dumbass.

She caught it from a five minute exposure to someone who had tested negative the night before.

Very specifically she caught it from a poor person (friends mom who works at a gas station in Wisconsin) and I should have said don't interact with them but it's gauche to say so even though it's true if you want to avoid covid

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

She caught it from a five minute exposure to someone who had tested negative the night before.

Very specifically she caught it from a poor person (friends mom who works at a gas station in Wisconsin) and I should have said don't interact with them but it's gauche to say so even though it's true if you want to avoid covid

:mods:

Ban this classist filth!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

WTF BEES posted:

Looking for some reassurance from any other goon parents that have had kids come down with covid already.

My house is currently lit up with the trash. I tested positive on Monday, and my kids (3 and 7) started showing symptoms that evening. Since then they have both had off and on fevers that generally max out at 102, and the pulse ox gives off steady 98-100. The thing that has me spooked, and RATIONALLY I know I'm probably about to answer my own question, is that they are usually WILD, vocal children. But since getting this garbage my youngest especially is very quiet, and is lying or sleeping almost all the time. Today my oldest seems in much better spirits but has developed the goopy cough, but my youngest continues to just lay about listlessly.

This is also the first time either one has been actually ill like this, save for a couple times when my oldest was a toddler. So am I just being a dad, and freaking out at the sudden change in behavior?

that sounds like an entirely normal reaction to an illness, especially one where lethargy and fatigue are regarded as typical symptoms. unless it persists for more than a couple weeks i wouldn't worry too much. the fatigue aside, since they've had covid it might be good to check with their doctor at the next physical on a blood panel to see if everything's still normal. hope they're feeling better soon.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

There's nothing wrong with working at the gas station!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

XCOM 2012 is interesting in the context of COVID. Everyone but China immediately withdraws from the project, citing we must learn to live with the aliens.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd like to propose some gameplay changes to XCOM 3 when they finally get around to making it:

* the highest point of governmental support for the XCOM project is at the very start of the game - it can only ever go down from there

* the more successful you are at battling the alien menace, the faster that your funding will be reduced, given that you're not really needed

* but, if you're falling behind, funding will also decrease, given that governments will become more and more convinced that the aliens are unstoppable and people will need to learn to live with the Sectoids

* if you decide to place XCOM headquarters in the Asia region, you should find some consistent sources of funding, and lots of support, but you will find it more difficult to operate in all other regions, and the Council will send you frequent messages about how XCOM is too expensive to maintain, and any collateral damage you inflict will be immediately reported to HRW and the UN

* there is a chance on any given Terror mission that the civilians will open fire on XCOM troopers, believing them to be unwelcome interlopers into their town

* similarly, convincing a civilian to take cover and leave the area has a percentage chance of failure, reflecting their belief that the aliens are not even real

* over time, it will become more and more difficult to do research and development into new weaponry, as your scientists will assume that the Mutons and Snakemen are bound to be less powerful than the Sectoids, and that your Laser Rifles should be sufficient and there is no need to develop Plasma Cannon

Platystemon posted:

* You just can’t buy new equipment because the workers that made it were laid off and the unsold stock was destroyed when it looked for two months like things were going O.K..

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

WTF BEES posted:

Looking for some reassurance from any other goon parents that have had kids come down with covid already.

My house is currently lit up with the trash. I tested positive on Monday, and my kids (3 and 7) started showing symptoms that evening. Since then they have both had off and on fevers that generally max out at 102, and the pulse ox gives off steady 98-100. The thing that has me spooked, and RATIONALLY I know I'm probably about to answer my own question, is that they are usually WILD, vocal children. But since getting this garbage my youngest especially is very quiet, and is lying or sleeping almost all the time. Today my oldest seems in much better spirits but has developed the goopy cough, but my youngest continues to just lay about listlessly.

This is also the first time either one has been actually ill like this, save for a couple times when my oldest was a toddler. So am I just being a dad, and freaking out at the sudden change in behavior?

I wouldn't panic too much yet.
Sickness does things like that.
My kid is very susceptible to strep throat, but she never presents any symptoms when she has it besides being kind of "not herself". Instead she is lethargic, irritable and doesn't do her usual stuff as much. When she gets like that we know it's time for a strep test.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Shageletic posted:

One under reported things is that drug dealers are cutting everything with Fentanyl right now due to a lack of supply due to a decreasing supply of drugs exacerbated by the Covid crisis.

A close friend of mine did a little coke and ended up getting vented and passing away. Don't do heavy drugs right now yall

This is true.

If you are going to do hard drugs, make sure you test your batches with a fent test kit.

poo poo is everywhere right now.

FizFashizzle posted:

Also hospitals are out of fent

Lol

Lmao

:rubby: except hospitals ??? lmao.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

LOL, nice try blaming you or your wife's poor decisions on classism (or avoiding it).

Pigmassacre
Nov 23, 2010

GARBAGE DAY

So I got my third dose today (Pfizer) and I wanted to be excited about it but... eh. I'm glad I got it (Sweden finally approved boosters, minimum 5 months after second dose) but it kinda feels like it doesnt matter lol

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

The rate of inflation last year was 7% (very specifically as of December). So the economy actually declined. HTH.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

RandomBlue posted:

LOL, nice try blaming you or your wife's poor decisions on classism (or avoiding it).

The problem is that the person was poor, not that they were in a high exposure job.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Failed Imagineer posted:

feels like there should be. I have no idea how accurate they were, but the Car Talk brothers seemed to be able to do it without even hearing the actual car (please don’t be mad at me for having listened to NPR :ohdear:)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lawlicaust posted:

The rate of inflation last year was 7% (very specifically as of December). So the economy actually declined. HTH.

Twitter is suggesting "#Bidenboom" to me right now but I refuse to click on it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

CPU Abuser posted:

Oh jeebus no, not a bit. So for pete's sake don't worry about that.

But Benedictow's work is one of these gems I didn't even know about until a few years ago. And that one map kills off more bullshit "popular culture" memes about the Second Pandemic than I could list in a half hour's work.

Just seeing that map posted here made my day.

cheers! i agree it's a good map. good maps are really underrated i think

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

mastershakeman posted:

yeah this sounds like a troll

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Twitter is suggesting "#Bidenboom" to me right now but I refuse to click on it.

I misread that as "#Bidendoom"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I like my covid exposure how I like my coffee: rich, white as hell, and hot hot hot

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

WTF BEES posted:

I sympathize so much, my kids are exactly the same ages as yours and we were all infected about 3 weeks ago. It is completely natural to freak out about their infection IMO. I certainly did, to the point of an anxiety attack and the resulting total insomnia. Please try not to do that to yourself, and consider maybe taking a break from this thread and all COVID news generally. Instead I don't think you should be shy about contacting your pediatrician about your concerns and asking for advice, though maybe others itt have some ideas about when and whether that's appropriate.

I'm uninformed and not a medical professional, but it's only Thursday so your kids are still likely in the acute infection stage (3 days in?). In that case lots of sleep at this point is still beneficial and a good sign, esp if they're not in respiratory distress. The long COVID/immune system stuff apparently can only really start about a 1-2 weeks out from symptom onset, so it's possibly too early to be looking at symptoms in the light of anything other than acute viral illness. My kid was certainly sleepy for a few days back when they had pneumonia.

FWIW my kids recovered from the acute stage quickly with no long term symptoms apparent yet. They picked up superficially nastier diseases back when they were still in daycare/school (ie the pneumonia), and TBH if long COVID/organ damage weren't a thing this infection would not really have registered as unusual. However it's still 5 more weeks of watching for symptoms like a hawk until the probable window for MIS-C passes, so I don't want to come off sounding like I'm saying "it's mild".

Just so angry at society for allowing this to spread everywhere. It's so unfair to children.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

lol it rules coming here and going “dealing with covid is easy just avoid poor people”

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Failed Imagineer posted:

No but if you gently caress around on Youtube for a bit you can probably find somebody with a video that talks about that sound and what it means. Youtube is amazing for car repair if you are comfortable doing work yourself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

want to come visit me? let’s see that W-2

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lawlicaust posted:

And we sacrificed hundreds of thousands of lives for it. Yes, it's hard not to be impressed!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

lol it rules coming here and going “dealing with covid is easy just avoid poor people”

the poors are posting ITT!!!

(it’s me I’m the poor, I even work at a gas station!)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mastershakeman posted:

lmao jesus christ you prick

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1486497778025041925?s=20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Red Baron posted:

the poors are posting ITT!!!

(it’s me I’m the poor, I even work at a gas station!)

you too could be not poor

just stop believing in birds

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I never want covid to end because that means tthe end to really good mastershakeman posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Honestly before I got into education I drove a forklift in a lumber yard and it was the best job I ever had. I wish I could work at the gas station sometimes rather than deal with this nonsense every day.