Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

euphronius posted:

I am sure these numbers are 100% accurate

They better be, otherwise we may appear foolish for trying to reimagine germ theory.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

god, im glad i live in the US, where I'm free from the horrific effects of sustained social isolation. here I only have to deal with the constant threat of gun violence, 650,000 people dying of a preventable disease, extremely low wages, homeless people on literally every single street I walk down, and the ever-present threat of still getting covid even though i'm vaccinated, and god, compared to the horror of sustained social isolation I am just so so so happy I live in a FREE and CIVILIZED country otherwise my mind would be COMPLETELY hosed and I would be laughing like the joker pretty much constantly. Haha!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! ehehehe ahahhahEeuheauhaha

Imagine having to live out your life on a Brazilian dog ranch as a wealthy white man.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Abbott should get therapy for his anxiety.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/3AW693/status/1427805195954577416?s=20

...sex workers are allowed to operate during lockdown?

Makes sense, liquor stores over here were explicitly labeled as essential businesses.

E: And weed

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

$300k in student loan debt is a lot less of a big deal when the average salary for a doctor in the U.S. is 232k to 511k depending on specialty.

You don't have to cry for doctors in the U.S. too much.

I'm way behind here, but I just want to stop and say that the risks behind 300k in student loan debt absolutely keep a ton of would be doctors out of the profession. Probably forces a bunch of crappy doctors to stay in the field too, because there's no way in hell you're going to pay off that kind of debt working at Starbucks.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

CDC posted:

Total predicted number of excess deaths since 2/1/2020 across the United States: 599,021 - 765,569

Green put there by me for easy viewing.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

You guys what if the covfefe tweet wasn't a typo about coffee what if it was a typo about warning about covid

It's entirely plausible that Trump can't hear for poo poo and refuses to get a hearing aid.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

wolfs posted:

be careful, m'goons

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just imagining Nate's Mom bursting into tears when he broke the news over Christmas dinner.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

why don't we have like a water tank floating bed for people that need to be vented for months at a time

Not a doc, but I'm going to guess we'd end up with a waterborne antibiotic resistant MRSA within a week.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

The team blue messaging about "protect other people" disappeared the absolute instant that they thought covid couldn't hurt them personally; putting them on the same footing as the team red people who believed that even without vaccines

Well, it's just that a bad economy hurts the blue team's chances of re-election for the midterms. Why aren't you out there making more money? More importantly, why aren't you out there spending it?

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

kalensc posted:

What was this, it's gone now

Edit: reactions made it sound like batch testing of kids and teachers somewhere turned up a very high rate of asymptomatic infections

He updated the post. So it's not 14k 'new' cases, it's 4k new, and 10k previously unreported being added in.

https://twitter.com/AndrewRomano/status/1429243496456593408

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Holy poo poo dude please work out.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Would you also be denied a transplant for not getting your other vaccinations?

Shear Modulus posted:

is a state man another term for sovereign citizens

It's shorthand for "not D.C., the other Washington"

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Dolash posted:

Aside from the standard "liberals are right wing assholes" reply, aren't the Australian Liberals explicitly the right-wing party?

I always got the impression that the Australian Liberals are equivalent to the UK's Tories.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Strep Vote posted:

What level of collapse are y'all on? I'm at "never let the gas tank go below ¾ full."

Low key hoping on rent control to come through my neighborhood before I'm forced out. I figure if nothing else I could use it to extort my landlord to be rid of me.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

hey, remember that landlord in Texas who shot his tenants over unpaid rent?

Fortunately my landlord is an Eldritch horror composed of a number of retirement funds. Just holding out hope that the new Pinkertons don't start off with bullets.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What does endemic COVID mean?

An extra ~10% daily all cause deaths is no big deal, go forth and spend money.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Rynn posted:

Guess this is the new narrative now? Nice look, PA GOP.

Every now and then I have flashbacks to rural PA townhalls where the olds went specifically to scream at random government people about death panels taking away their jobs and stuff. This is absolutely on brand.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

What's this with everyone overdosing on horse meds, I just eyeball my doses ezpz.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

I love that we're gonna let a virus completely collapse everything, including the economy, to save the economy

I love that we now measure the absolute health of economy by whether S&P number is up or down on the day.

Hint:It's up

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Jfc you dumb rear end in a top hat doctors a patient having a headache doesn't mean they have a loving venous thromboembolism how do you even jump to that being your first diagnosis? Good loving god hey how about you do something about their uncontrolled diabetes and stage 3 renal failure and see if that does anything for the headache.

Hospitals are full cause doctors don't understand KISS applies to medicine too. You're not dr. House, your patient doesn't have some rare hard to diagnosis disease that you're going to crack the case and be the hero.

It's funny because even in the show House M.D. there's a huge running gag about how it's not this one relatively rare disease. That and something about confusing horses for zebras.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Zurtilik posted:

Even if you include 'metropolitan' areas you're still looking at the equivalent of like everyone in a 20 mile radius from Toledo just disappear from the face of the Earth and people are just like "Such is the cost of Freedom! :911:"

I don't have a source, but someone early in the last thread mentioned that somewhere around 30% survival rate was considered a win in a nuclear exchange. We're doing not terrible by that metric!

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Just listened to a guy in a lab coat who says we should all just raise our core body temp up to ~39C to wake up our interferons, sounds legit.

E: F to C

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Was it ever confirmed that weed helps if it's low on THC?

I feel pretty safe saying that marijuana therapy leads to far better outcomes than anything from the feed store.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

You must be my ex.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

kalensc posted:

Copy/paste some of the big rants from r/nursing, maybe some firsthand accounts from other RNs will give her reason to reconsider.

The back of a new nursing student's ID badge. was the newest link when I looked just now.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Hey covid thread how y'all feeling about the eviction moratorium ending?

I'm 🤣 but the tears are despair

We all knew it was coming, but on the other hand the crazy bastards actually did it.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Alright kids now if someone kicks in your classroom door with a Striker-12 the trick is to get them to fire all twelve rounds into your fellow classmates, you can make a fairly leisurely break for it during the half hour pause when they stop to manually unload and reload each chamber and then rewind the drum

Agree.

So this is happening now.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/let-the-virus-run-its-course-a-seattle-area-school-district-official-said-on-facebook/

quote:

“What’s the end game with all this? Masks, vaccines and limiting freedoms for how long? My family has been in Washington for seven generations and this is the first time in my life that I despise this state.

“It only took 200 years to get rid of small pox. Let the virus become endemic and run its course, it’s here to stay,” the district’s chief financial officer, Jake Kuper, wrote in response to a public service post about masking from the state health department. “So happy for the strictest Covid-19 mandates in the US. I thought liberals loved freedom…and pro choice…oh wait.”

E: Job listing for this person's job posted 2 days ago, lol.
https://www.govhrusa.com/job/issaquah-wa-chief-financial-officer/

nomad2020 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That’s a straight picture, I’m on a hill

Can confirm, once rented a rowhouse where the front door was on the 3rd floor and the basement was at ground level out back.

E: New page, that house is now worth eleventy bajillion dollars and is owned by address.llc

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Riding the bus in Pitts is, at times, an act of faith.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Tzen posted:

lmao preview of things to come in Seattle

Someone should make an app for that. Don't actually, the trend is starting to make me irrationally angry.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I was once in the gifted program, but it was in a state with shockingly low literacy rates and I'm pretty sure it meant I knew how to read.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Omg shut up about gifted kids nobody cares we're all in our 30s ffs

Jealous

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

gifted with covid

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

I am genuinely starting to think that ~follow the data~ discourse has corroded the liberal brain's ability to understand cause and effect as a concept vs correlating thing a and thing b without assessing whether and what kind of relationship might or might not exist between the two things. Like shoving someone down a flight of stairs can't be hypothesized to have caused someone's broken bones now, you can only look at the data showing that areas with high prevalence of stair pushings are correlated with high ER visits for broken bones. Talking about a possible causative relationship between the two things is inexpert speculation on which you non-credentialed non-bluechecked are unqualified to expound upon.

Did they teach stats at your high school? Was it considered a 'smart person' class like trig?

VV- Now everyone knows that it's his Dairy Queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Oh good, that orange county in WA was giving me hope there for a bit, PA also appears to be falling.