Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

No clue if these are legit, but this is how my Amazon order came. I figured they are being careful with the 3M stuff since the scrutiny and lawsuits now, but if not guess I'll die. :shrug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Cool the coworker who I sit next to just got an exposure notice and has to test/isolate. Getting the full American covid experience now in Australia. Although I guess no one even notifies you of exposure there.

Lol, the full American experience is that guy didn't get tested and came into work coughing saying he just has a cold and no one does anything.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Oh man everyone is going to absolutely melt down at my workplace. This is great.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I hurt my lower back at work a decade ago and after knowing people with back injuries I knew there wasn't really much they could do besides extreme measures if it got really bad and they were really slow healing injuries, so I decided to keep working and taking it as easy as I could and would go get it look at if it got any worse. It stayed the about the same for a year and I was about to the point where I decided I needed to get it looked at, but kept going a little longer and then my back just spontaneously got better a month later. I've always kept the thought in the back of my mind if I went to get PT or seen a chiropractor at that point I would have attributed the healing to that and probably would have ended up using them the entire rest of my life. That is my non-covid related back story.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Everyone thinks their BMI is wrong because everyone is obese and obese just looks like a normal guy now.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Honestly at 102 you are probably at the point where you don't give a poo poo about dying anymore.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

i went out to gently caress myself up with fall colors and sneak in an overnight before all the snow starts soon. it started down a colorful trail towards big snowy mountains

it lead to an alpine lake

where i setup my hammock with a view of mt. shuksan

i ate dinner watching the sunset with mt. baker

and said goodnight to mt. shuksan

a good weekend escaping the covid hellworld

I did this last weekend except in Ohio so I got to see:

the entrance to blighttown where I was instantly covered by the most mosquitos I have ever seen in my life

a lake of mud that was like a gauntlet monster spawner full of mosquitos

a spooky haunted tunnel that smelled like piss and was full of mosquitos

no people or covid in sight though. just more mosquitos.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Mr. Pizza posted:

these are some gorgeous shots, nice job

If it wasn't for covid I would have never discovered that Ohio is actually just a giant ugly swamp full of mosquitos and ticks.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Are there any tips for wearing a mask under hearing protection and protecting the tops of your ears? I've been doing the lovely bandana thing at work for the last year-and-a-half because the masks were giving me open sores on the top behind my ears wearing them all day, but this new variant is bugging me out enough that I want to go back to kn94s. Already dodged this for this long working in a warehouse full of anti-vaxxers/maskers and really don't want to catch a new wave.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Gio posted:

lol ur a bandana wearer?

My main defense was acting like a completely insane person and yelling at people to stay the gently caress away from me.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Winter covid wave incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hf_XkgE1d0

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

genericnick posted:

Should really go back to reading books set during the Black Death to see how people dealt with this in more enlightened times.

I remember in the Last Podcast on the Left miniseries on the black death they were talking about some princess or noblewoman who sailed into a port of some plague-ravaged city, and people came out to tell them that half of the city has died of the plague and they should go back, but the people on the ship just wanted to get off and party anyway and then they immediately got sick and died of the plague.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Boat Stuck posted:

https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1471314387528945665?s=20

the hilarious thing is that the WSJ is trying to make Xi look bad, and this is supposed to be part of that

You'd think that western businesses would be praying that China keeps holding the line, because if covid got out of control and started shutting down the country it feels like that would be a death blow to the global economy.

Also noticed recently that people around me have been saying people with covid in the hospital are actually just in there for pneumonia, a totally separate thing. Everyone seems to be trying to chaos magic bend reality with positive thinking that covid isn't a big deal.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Just randomly thinking of a scene in God Emperor of Dune where Leto II takes the woman he has spent thousands of years of selective breeding to create a special mankind-saving gene into the desert, and he starts completely freaking out because she is going to die because she keeps taking her mask off to talk and is just chin-strapping it all day no matter how much he keeps saying, hey, maybe you should keep that mask on.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

So any chance that this thing actually does burn itself out after infecting pretty much everyone it can (every person not in this thread) over the matter of a couple months? Because holy poo poo these numbers are insane.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Didn't the UK try the just let 'er rip strategy during the very first wave and immediately fall apart?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

In the year 2030 being able to smell a loaf of bread will be a superpower.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I like how all the right-wing talking points from last year like "It's just a cold." and "They're in the hospital WITH covid not because of it." and "There's nothing you can do everyone just has to live their lives." are just what pretty much everyone is saying now.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I was just at the grocery store and turned down an aisle and there was a half-dead looking unmasked person with no mask slouched over their shopping cart death rattle coughing and shuffling towards me like a House of the Dead zombie. A da share zoned the gently caress out of the cereal aisle. Everything's pretty cool out there.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyKbR3GmsY

Goons walking out of the CSPAM Covid thread in the year 2035.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Tzen posted:

lol has she ever worn one
i've worn a 3m aura for 9 loving hours straight, no breaks, just fine
doesn't move at all? doesn't dig into ears? literally forget i'm wearing it??
oh no, too uncomfortable
lmao

I dunno, I wear an aura 8-hours a day at my job and it gets pretty uncomfortable. I've got an easier job in the building than I used to, but when I have to exert myself a lot sucking air through the mask takes a lot of effort, and by the end of the day my nasal passages have swollen up from the humidity which make it feel even worse. Also you can't really itch anything under the mask without loving up the seal. I still do it because I'd rather do that then catch covid, but I can't pretend like it doesn't suck to a level that the average person would wear one properly for a full work day when they can't even manage a surgical mask.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Booourns posted:

I was gonna say that only a general strike could save people now but uh I think if people even credibly threatened to do so biden and the democrats would make it illegal

No one is going to strike. No one outside this thread cares about covid anymore.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

yea the doomer threads in cspam are all extremely grim but can be terrifyingly accurate. i can only deal with them in small doses, especially the climate change thread but this one is a necessity any time it looks like another wave's on the way

My covid strategy is read this thread enough to make myself mentally ill enough to protect myself from covid but not enough to have a psychotic break from reality. This thread helped me get toilet paper before the great tp crisis of 2019, snipe a vaccine shot right before delta hit, get a booster right before omicron was discovered, and buy a good supply of 3M auras right before everyone freaked out and they all sold out.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

meet girls at the store posted:

Hey fellas, anyone else get a giant swollen goiter-lookin thing in their armpit after the jab? I’m assuming it’s a swollen lymph node and I know that’s a known side effect, it just seems rather large. Like it’s tennis ball sized, and I’m a petite lady, so it looks like I’m growing a third boob.

I don't think it got anywhere near that swollen, but my armpit on the injection side hurt pretty bad and swole up after my booster shot and I just assumed it was the lymph nodes too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Lpzie posted:

i've been doing killer sudokus, chess sudokus, thermo sudokus, etc..

Yeah, I got sucked into the Cracking the Cryptic youtube hole like everyone else and now I do a shitload of sudokus. I just got their puzzle book in the mail but haven't cracked it open yet. They've got a ton of sudoku content available.