Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Asked my principal today what contingencies were in place for outbreaks. The basic answer was that the district just wants us to power through it; no virtual school even considered. I'm at a middle/high school in a terribly unvaccinated county. We, thankfully, do have a mask mandate but that's about it. We'll have seventy more kids than we did two years ago.

open biden; praise number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Judakel posted:

oh you need to have a vaccine to travel to hawaii.... i might be able to snitch on a chud i know

snitch away but for the full scope: you need vaccination or a negative test within (I think) 72 hours of arriving

unless they changed the requirements since I was there in July. I’m vaccinated but I read their whole instructions at the time because it had just changed.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 17, 2021

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

jetz0r posted:

it will end when the US has a functional government that doesn't bend to the will of capital.

oh no

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Nocturtle posted:

Question for any school teacher and administrators!

Today we finally committed to not send our kid back to their NYC public elementary school until fully vaccinated. However we're trying to decide between the following options:
-homeschool them until the vaccine becomes available
-constantly claim they've been exposed/have flu like symptoms and need to home quarantine until a remote option appears or the vaccine becomes available

NYC's public school system is taking the pandemic semi-seriously so quarantine after exposure is still required, making the second option sort of possible. However it will likely become fairly obvious what we're doing. The question is whether this would annoy the teacher or school administration?

My thought is that the teacher will likely be happy to have one less kid in their class right now. Also we intend to do everything by the book, so our kid won't be counted as truant which might be a concern for the school admin. Is there some other consideration I'm not seeing?

Homeschooling is a last resort, as we like our kid's school and would be unlikely to get back in if we did withdraw them. We'll definitely do it if forced to though.

I teach in a public school in MO and no one is annoyed if kids don’t come. Just please try to make sure they’re not morons when they get back. Your school should hopefully have some kind of homeschooling counselor, so conference with them and just try to stay current on the curriculum.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I respect that you think you’re being transparent in your malingering, but your school has ([amount of students]x5) problems about to happen. As long as you are kind or at least polite, they will not reflect much on you parenting your kid.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

superimmunity sounds good; is it good?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Is this new news to people? It was new to me.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/british-study-shows-covid-19-vaccine-efficacy-wanes-under-delta-2021-08-18/

Based on more than three million nose and throat swabs taken across Britain, the Oxford University study found that 90 days after a second shot of the Pfizer or Astrazeneca vaccine, their efficacy in preventing infections had slipped to 75% and 61% respectively.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

two fellow teachers and I freaked out in the parking lot after work today; sucks to freak out but we felt relieved that someone else actually seemed to be paying attention.

we have had fully virtual remote PD (professional development) meetings all week but we’re supposed to see (masked) kids on Monday. why is it safer to meet each other virtually but not the children? Jfc. oh and there is brand new curriculum to “make up for lost time” so we can’t use many previous lessons from years prior lol. group work is a mandatory part of the curriculum. I will have six units when I normally teach four. tbh a lot of it sounds great, but for a year that isn’t going to be full of infectious disease outbreaks.

anyway I sold the other teachers both on getting KN95s and maybe an air purifier/cleaner of some kind, so that’s a win. We are talking about quitting.

I’m not sure where to draw my line for quitting tbh. should probably figure that out. Pretty much every teacher I know has it baked in to make the best of a bad situation; we are born suckers for more work.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

inferis posted:

if you are already considering quitting you might as well try organizing some kind of collective action if your other teachers feel similarly

You are correct; one reason I am not quitting is because I’m in a pretty good union. Honestly the president has been suspiciously silent; I’ve been so worked up with getting class ready I haven’t quite noticed. I should find out wtf they’re doing.

I think a lot of people are thinking the mask mandate our SD has will save us. It is good but it is not enough.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

my dudes, I have to say I do not like covid

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

well too bad!

poo poo

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Hillary 2024 posted:

Andrew Wakefield led the modern anti-vax renaissance, not long after the satanic panic of the '80s died away.

Humanity seems to need some sort of mass hysteria as an outlet for the crazies.

this is why I blame the WWE for everything

it started sucking big time at the same time everyone started going absolutely loving insane. the dummies no longer had their morality play to depend on for catharsis so they turned to politics

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

don’t know who did it, but someone here posted the Death Panel pod, specifically the one blasting Emily Oster.

Thank you. It is such a loving relief to hear people talk out loud in intelligent ways about the massive crisis we are in. Makes me feel a lot less crazy.

You guys here are good too, but there’s also a lot of black humor(/prophecy) that is sometimes difficult to digest in large volumes and there are always a dozen new pages to this thread. please keep it up though; I am just weak

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

ivermectin stuff reminds me of when people would wrap their Xbox 360 in a towel to make it work

like, it maybe correlated with a positive result one time because that was going to happen anyway and then every dumbass who can go to the towel store is loading up

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

I have about 80 students this semester across five classes (8th grade) and I think i have seen only sixty-five of them so far due to either bus problems because they can’t get drivers or covid.

pretty cool, we don’t get money for attendance or anything, sounds cool and sustainable

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

If hospitalizations exceed 100% capacity and distrust of the medical process becomes widespread, there is a danger that the United States will enter what historians call The Fool Zone.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

d&d thread sure is trash for everything but it does make me grateful this one is here.

Gj dudes keep it up

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Hard to know how to track it all, but I found a tool that says my school district, open for one week, has had 80 cases in the last two weeks. we have 17500 students. the city’s district has 150 cases; our hick capital city has 98.

We are wearing masks by mandate; I can’t imagine hick city is.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

can’t even break 300k cases daily; pathetic

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

waiting for hospitals to collapse for maybe something to happen. lol that’s grim

two, maybe three weeks

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

goddammit you guys there must be some way to open this fucker more biden

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

first teacher is out today, don’t know from what but she’s an old hand so it’s not like she’s taking a personal day on the eighth day of the school year

we had to have dept. meetings in the same room; not virtual. we have a mask mandate but this is stupid; it’s more contacts and dumbass teachers move their masks TJ talk constantly. I was deeply mad and protested and was talked over, basically. one of the teachers wore a plastic shield over her loving nose. in the room behind me for a loving hour and a half. the principal, present, exclaimed that while visiting Mississippi this weekend she couldn’t understand why they didn’t wear masks.

MAGICAL THINKING JFC AGHHHHHHH THE VIRUS IS NOT WORKING ON YOUR TERMS

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

goddamn, just catching up. so if I got the shot in April, two doses of Pfizer, I should be actively searching out some Moderna booster, right? Especially because I’m a teacher.

do you just call CVS and ask which poo poo they have?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

i'd go for either of the mrna shots. just show up at a cvs and say you're immunocompromised, don't elaborate if they ask why.. just go to another store. eventually one won't care and will jab you up.

aight cool, thanks

First of quarantines happened today; of course one of my kids.

Their masks are just permanently down at lunch. What did anyone expect?

Edit: many great pieces of advice, thank you. I’m a terrible liar so I’m going to have to practice this a minute.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

when I go for a booster, is it better to lie about it being my first shot or lie about being immunocompromised?

the former makes me seem like an rear end in a top hat but the latter seems harder to actually back up and I look like an rear end in a top hat anyway

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

Don't go to a pharmacy if you might have COVID, jesus christ

The shot won't work anyway if you've been infected

good point; thank you for mentioning that. I wear my mask up constantly at school, and try to ensure everyone in my classes do, but you’re right that there is exposure. I have been doing the OTC rapid testing on Fridays so I’ll see what that says tomorrow.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

was just gonna say Immortal Hulk is the absolute poo poo.

East of West is also very good, as is Prophet, and if you want a classic you haven’t read, maybe Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

tested negative, so I went and got myself a Walmart moderna booster today on top of my full Pfizer regimen.

They kept asking for stuff—insurance, id, social—and I kept saying I didn’t have it or know it and I kept expecting them to tell me to gently caress off. anyway they didn’t, and as someone in recovery this is the most I’ve lied to someone’s face in over ten years. Did NOT enjoy that but now I am immortal so w/e

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

booster update, day 2: my shoulder is massively swollen but I feel fine otherwise.

Pfizer initial shots with a moderna booster

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

we can blatantly ignore whatever we want; there are no consequences because covid is over

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

my school does all these mitigation strategies and then the principal wants us to do dept meetings in the same room on the same day, just four ninety minute cycles of every teacher in the school sharing air, and it’s like why are we bothering with any mitigation if the staff will just share all the exposure to everyone

plus there is the teacher who wears a loving face shield like a loving ball cap with the poo poo just sticking straight up, wtf, no mask, holy poo poo, what is your deal

I’m mad

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

do you vacsee me?

I vacsee you

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

q: what’s mu?

a: not much, dog, what’s mu with you?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

867 students in my school district in quarantine, wonder why it’s not in the news. probably has nothing to do with how the district is mostly black

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

we all know very well that home haircuts are worse than a slow death by respiratory disease

we all took the same class and all made sure to raise our hands when the teacher asked a question we ALL did it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

imagine every story he wrote but replace the word “doctor” with “lying about being a doctor” and they are all one hundred percent accurate

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

look I mean let’s give the guy a break, it is incredibly cool and fun to lie about who you are

take it from me, Dr. Joe “Open” Biden

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

unless that dude’s pilot license is on a fridge I don’t even know that we can trust he was in the military to BEGIN with

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

Are there any trackers showing how many 3rd doses have been administered in America?

it’s lost in the data of just a mountain of people named Max Titers for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

FrancisFukyomama posted:

so has delta peaked? I thought we were expecting the peak in late sept/early oct based on the growth patterns from last time

you’ve got a couple more weeks of opening schools before it really peaks at the very least. then there’s winter, where it will shoot up like a rocket.