Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I'm going with Arteta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

vyelkin posted:

People thought Graeme Le Saux was gay because he went to university and read the Guardian. That was back in the 90s and footballing culture has changed a bit since then, but not completely. Bamford plays the violin, speaks four languages, and was offered a place at Harvard but turned it down to play football and I don't recall him getting anywhere near the treatment Le Saux got.

Yeah I think Le Saux's story is the most similar to the cricket situation in that he was abused institutionally by fellow players and his own locker room and not just opposing fans. And he's talked about how the perceived snobbishness preceded the homophobia, even if the latter came to dominate the source of abuse.

I wonder what would happen now if a hugely exciting youth player wanted to stay in school or go to uni part-time. He'd probably be torn apart by the meathead contingent as lacking the proper desire or something.