Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Medullah posted:

I fuckin LOVED the Intellivision, but I do admit it's partially Stockholm Syndrome because it's what we had when I was a kid. Nonetheless, Tron Deadly Discs was a great fun game.

Sir I also loved Tron Deadly Discs and I have the cartridge still somewhere. We should meet and hang out.

I had an Intellivision as a kid and I loved it. I thought it was better than the Atari. Poker and Blackjack with that motherfuckin shady dealer was some fun times. DON'T SIDE EYE ME HORACE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
George Plimpton account spotted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:munch:

Here's all of the Amico coverage by CU Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4T1sDYpnBr4R7or5khb4MTJGZaZdT4FU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The funniest/saddest thing about this is all the third rate gaming Youtubers who jumped on it before and after the launch event last year, including one guy who is making a whole goddamn rap album about Intellivision which is going to age like milk after this flops.

Also the AtariAge thread had one user who kept posting ideas for game ports that were either obscure arcade titles or baffling things like the board game version of Zaxxon "in case you can't get the license for the actual game" (because that's how IP works, right?). There's also the usual "is there gonna be a TRON game" speculation and Tommy I think is trying to hype up the fact there might be one except I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the funding for that kind of thing.

Dunno if anyone posted that insane investor pitch video they did but it's a loving doozy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Ozk3ncCr0

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 23, 2021

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tommy gave Katamari Damacy a bad review because he didn't like the music.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

He docked points off a GTA game rating (pretty sure it was one of the spinoffs or San Andreas) because the main character wasn't named Tommy like in Vice City.

Genuinely thought at one point he wasn't actually that bad of a person because of a Mega64 podcast episode where they visited his house and he said he was just playing a character on Judgment Day/EP but after recently hearing about the time he went on the IGN forums to defend his review of Smash Bros. Melee + the crazy rightwing stuff? He definitely wasn't playing.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 23, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Tommy gave the Charlie and the Choclate Factory game a 9 out of 10

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

A recent showing at a Crayola event has instilled less confidence, showing killer app cornhole in a really rough alpha state.

I want to know more about this.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I wonder if there's any truth to him calling it Amico because of the fAMICOm.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

gschmidl posted:

I wonder if there's any truth to him calling it Amico because of the fAMICOm.

I thought it was so it could rhyme with his last name.

Detective No. 27 posted:

:psyduck:

Tommy writes good stuff, but c'mon man.... goddamn.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I literally did not know the guy did video game reviews or was even still active in games until this Amico nonsense began. I remembered seeing the ad for his album of video game music in EGM back in the day and that was pretty much the beginning and ending of my Tommy Tallarico awareness.

That said:

Zeether posted:

There's also the usual "is there gonna be a TRON game" speculation and Tommy I think is trying to hype up the fact there might be one except I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the funding for that kind of thing.

I cannot imagine the thought process behind trying to be even remotely cagey about getting a Disney license in A.D. 2021. This guy seems to have both deep pockets and people eager to refill them, but lol no. Going by this 2006 article, the Intellivision rights holders were able to re-release games based around a license so long as they removed any references to those licenses (the relevant links are dead and not on the Wayback Machine):

Or you could just play Deadly Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhoYRUGTYFA

This was an Easter egg in the Intellivision release of Dig Dug; it's Deadly Discs with all the characters replaced with the hot dog sprites from BurgerTime. It is pretty neat to have included an entire free game inside another one, not to mention it being considered one of the best for the system. I guess this was the programmer's way of keeping it alive after having lost the Tron license.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Pastry of the Year posted:

Here's the thing: there are some really good games on the Intellivision that weren't on any other platform. People like to talk about "hidden gems" in gaming, but I think a lot of the Intellivision catalog goes overlooked because its controller scheme makes it a gigantic pain in the rear end to emulate - you can't just plug in a gamepad and dig into the catalog like you can with the SNES, for example - and because you really do, in almost every case, have to read the manual and have the overlays handy. What this seems to boil down to is that the people still playing these games are the ones that already like them.

So on this system you've got a fair number of interesting, unique games that, for the most part, haven't been revisited or updated or whatever since they came out. I think what people were hoping for, with this system, is for these games to get a fresh coat of paint, modern QOL upgrades, and new ways to play (like Pac-Man Championship Edition).

I really couldn't care less about the whole "family friendly, living room multiplayer" song and dance they're leaning so hard on, but I saw like two frames of what looked like a modern remake of Bomb Squad and I thought, yeah, I actually would like to play that.
See the thing is Atari's designers solved the controller issue decades ago - it even supports overlays!

But instead of coming up with modern Jaguar controller designs they instead are selling us these two iPod minis that look just dreadful to use

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I respect Tommy's work with video game music. He's composed a ton of stuff, he's behind Video Games Live and the thing I still have yet to join, the Game Audio Network Guild (GANG).

Dude really should've stayed in his lane, though. He's doubling down on this whole thing, and if he'd just not bothered with all of this, or at least let someone, ANYONE else handle PR, we'd all still know him as that composer guy for Earthworm Jim who was kind of a dick on EP.

It's so much worse now.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
Can we have a contest to see who gets him to say the funniest things about them and if so do I automatically win

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Can we have a contest to see who gets him to say the funniest things about them and if so do I automatically win

drat you Frank, for being such an untalented gatekeepting :argh:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That insult reads like it was AI generated. Is he having a neural net insult people?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

It’s really funny to listen to the first couple bits of coverage about the amico with Pat and Ian being like “nice guy, but not sure what market share he really thinks is out there” vs the most recent stuff

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheRedEye posted:

I've put a "1" in your tally for you

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Is Tallarico also the one who did that insane gaming tv show in the late 90s?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Canopus250 posted:

Is Tallarico also the one who did that insane gaming tv show in the late 90s?

No, that's George Wood

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Willo567 posted:

No, that's George Wood

I haven't thought of him in ages but that wasn't the one I was thinking of.

I did find that Tallarico did Electric Playground and some random person has a ton of them up on youtube. The first episode alone is a real nightmare.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

He gave Guilty Gear X2 a low score because "all fighting games are button mashers" and then proved it by button mashing blindfolded against Victor in a match that he won

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Detective No. 27 posted:

what the gently caress

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
When Tommy's game music live thing came to my town he called a lady up on stage, talked about how great she looked and said he'd see her after the show was over

I also remember how big a deal the show made out of the MGS theme, and it's funny knowing what we know about how it was plagiarized. I wonder if any of the musicians noticed.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

From what I heard about VGL Tommy really loves to showboat about stuff and then show up on stage during most of the music to "jam" except he's just air guitaring to a prerecorded riff. Also read about someone's experience and the audience was told to shout things and cheer during pieces which got really awkward really fast.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grondoth posted:

When Tommy's game music live thing came to my town he called a lady up on stage, talked about how great she looked and said he'd see her after the show was over

I also remember how big a deal the show made out of the MGS theme, and it's funny knowing what we know about how it was plagiarized. I wonder if any of the musicians noticed.

Wait, the MGS theme was a rip-off?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, the MGS theme was a rip-off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k7DrIWcrdI

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The guts of the Metal Gear Solid theme actually having been composed in Russia in 1974 is about the most Metal Gear Solid thing that could happen.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what the gently caress

It might be me reading too much into things but I always felt the fact that the music he would use to signal INTERMISSION during Video Games Live (at least during the first few years) was the main theme to the first Katamari was him saying something like, "Hey it's intermission here's music I think will make you wanna go take a piss." Like his stance is vindicated because people aren't staying in the theater hall to hear Katamari played over the speakers.

Again, it's maybe me reading to much into things but learning more about Tommy in the past year, even more than I already knew it's like...maybe.

Also the fact that none the old Electric Playground episodes post spring of 2001 are up on the show's official YouTube channel is weird because I WANT to make the connection to that being "Well that's when the Tommy Opinions started getting really wild*" and maybe it's like, I dunno maybe they don't want those reviews to go viral like Gaming in The Clinton Years was for some reason?

This is all just a lead up to me posting that old Melee review of theirs from almost twenty years ago:

https://youtu.be/NpgOX3t7KFU?t=704

*The most wild of which was, of course, Tommy giving The Guy Game something like an 8 out of 10, the review of which seems to have scrubbed from the net entirely and the only proof is just old forum posts on various boards of people talking about said review. And again, again, again it might just be me reading into things too much but the fact that the game was headed specifically by the guy who used to run Retro Studios who Tommy did work for at one point and was a colleague/friend/etc. just ties everything together.

eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
really digging the plastics and the HDMI feature of the Amico, instant purchase

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dude did the music for Advent Rising and then “reviewed” it on his show and gave it an 8/10.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Dude did the music for Advent Rising and then “reviewed” it on his show and gave it an 8/10.
I was watching G4 around the time it came out and was being hyped to no end. Even back then I didn't see the appeal.

Remember when he said Nintendo didn't credit him for Metroid Prime? And then it turned out he did some sound effects that Miyamoto looked at and went "nah these suck"

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Zeether posted:

He docked points off a GTA game rating (pretty sure it was one of the spinoffs or San Andreas) because the main character wasn't named Tommy like in Vice City.

Genuinely thought at one point he wasn't actually that bad of a person because of a Mega64 podcast episode where they visited his house and he said he was just playing a character on Judgment Day/EP but after recently hearing about the time he went on the IGN forums to defend his review of Smash Bros. Melee + the crazy rightwing stuff? He definitely wasn't playing.

Do you have more information on him defending his Smash Melee review on IGN forums, like a link to the thread?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Do you have more information on him defending his Smash Melee review on IGN forums, like a link to the thread?
https://www.ignboards.com/threads/tommy-tallarico-gives-galaxy-an-8-5-10-and.156929287/page-2

Right here, got it from a thread on the Two Best Friends Play subreddit

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Mode 7 posted:

Super excited to witness OUYA 2: Electric Boogaloo to be honest.

Nah, this is probably going to be more like Infinium Labs' PHANTOM console - at least the OUYA actually came out and was a lame-o version of what its supporters actually wanted it to be. The Phantom eventually got downgraded to being a "lapboard" instead of a system, and if this thing comes out at all it'll either be exactly as lame as it already sounds like, or be more like a plug-n-play multi-game joystick, which isn't really a "system".

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1436421010102779906?s=19

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

There are no words for this. I can only either sigh or try to see if my jaw drops so much it unhinges.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
At least they aren't called "Delta's?" :shrug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Come to Maskoff Convention Center!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://kotaku.com/the-new-gaming-console-thats-become-a-giant-car-crash-1847699027