Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ooh yay we have a thread for this now, since it looks like it's gonna implode spectacularly. And yes I too recently got semi-caught up with the CU Podcast on it. The guy calling into their phone line pretending to be Tommy Tallarico is hilarious too. Though in light of recent events, I kinda feel retro active shame at having attended one of his video games live concerts. It was slightly disappointing at the time yet I bought a couple of the CDs anyways. This was the push I need to get rid of them, as I haven't listened to them in years. That's my Tommy Tallarico story, thanks for listening.

Also at least the Atari VCS released, I'm betting the Amico won't make it and Tallarico will blame all of us haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress I should do my log on to facebook once every 6 months thing and see what the freakout's like in the Atari Age group there.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I just looked and there's nothing hilarious on facebook, bummer. Last post with Amico in it is back on August 15th with a dude shilling his youtube video on cancelling his preorder since the $200 value(!) of music download was apparently the last straw for him. Before that there's some posts lightly making GBS threads on Pat and Ian from when one of their podcast vids were posted. There is a pinned post at the top about having cleaned up and reminding people to stop doing low content posting of memes and no descriptions, but it's from march of last year so probably unrelated to the Amico.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Am I reading too much into this but like half of those people seem like they're either paid plants or have a gun to their head off camera to read off a script. Like this lady in particular:

seems to be trying her damnedest to hit all the ease of use marketing points, every single last one of them. Also not a huge variety of people in the interview booth, and only one kid that gave a vague positive opinion on it. Has anyone seen somebody post about going to this event to try the thing in person?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Didn't Pat and Ian either read from or got voicemails from someone who played the thing, and, at best, it got a big ol' "meh"?

Edit: "Ami-go buy a Switch".

I'm not up to date on the CU podcast but I can believe this. I find it super suspicious that only one kid was allowed to give a verbal opinion. They have a decent amount of footage of kids interacting with it but only one "I like the game." And the one family in the booth with kids, the kids certainly looked bored.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Did someone at Nintendo Life fall for this hook line and sinker? And really really wants it to succeed because of that? Also I'm disappointed in the amount of people in the youtube comments on the game package reveal that are totally on board with it now because of the RFID blockchain NFT buzzwords covering for the fact that it's a code in a box. There's a couple dissenters, one pointing how cheap physical cart manufacture has gotten, and another dissaponted because they were expecting something more like tg16 hucards, but not too many out there. Lots of commenters proud of having run right over to the website and bought a 4 or 8 pack of games though.

I bet the 50,000 limited edition copies thing isn't limited, its just the production run amount they think they can sell at this time.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Lol though to be fair I had this happen with an ebay package once. Turned out the post office confused the return and sender address for no discernable reason.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Regardless of whose gently caress up this is, it's VERY on brand.

Oh I ain't disputing that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh no the youtubers are eating each other, whatever shall we do!?! Still funny that there's a significant amount of people buying it just for dunking on it for a video. Have to wonder if they get enough views to make the investment worth it? Even with all the buffoonery surrounding it the Amico and intellivison as a whole is a niche of a niche for topics/popularity.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also realising Amico sounds a lot like Amiibo.

Also realizing that the Amiibo fad is pretty well dead now. The hype for those ended before this project was even conceived right?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Willo567 posted:

I mean they still make Amiibos and they sell all right, it's the general Toy to Life genre (Skylanders, Disney Infinity, Lego Dimensions) is dead

I meant more in the f5ing retailer websites on release day and crazy scalper markups on Ebay and everyone flipping poo poo trying to obtain one. That aspect died out a while ago. I know they still make them but no one's really talking about them anymore.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That and like has been said before, amiibos have always been a neat and cheap (at MSRP) figure of your favorite nintendo character first. It was a brilliant move to start by making the smash bros character trophies first as physical objects. A wide range of beloved characters, the poses have already been figured out, and a game that's easy to come up with a way to implement them.

So anyways the amico. Outside of the new asset rip off posted above have they finally figured out how to keep quiet? I haven't caught up on the CU podcast or looked into how the projects coming along lately. Can't even poo poo on the packaging design for their "physical" games, because it's fine I guess, I just personally don't like the Apple aesthetic they've gone with for that and the hardware. Gotta imitate a successful product I guess?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh God. Other than having drunk too much of the Amiico marketing's koolaid this reads more like the guy is pining for the mono culture of the 70s and 80s when all you had was the 5 channels on TV and what was the top hits on the radio etc. That's never going to be again thanks to streaming services and youtube content creators and the wealth of media we have now. On the flip side it means it's easier than ever to track down those old shows and show them to your kids. They may not give a gently caress but you can do it.

Though I'm accidentally agreeing with this dude that yeah network TV sucks these days unless you like crime and medical dramas. Good thing there's decades of old wacky shows that lived and died before I was even born that I can go watch instead.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hey now I'm not agreeing totally with that dude, just pointing out the reason a bunch of that stuff was ever popular back then was because there were few alternatives. Today we don't have that problem.

Either way the Amiico is dumb and bad nostalgia bait and that's a lol.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Former Human posted:

It's curious how many Youtubers and other people were critical, or at least skeptical, of consoles like the Coleco Chameleon but got right on board with the Amico when the projects are eerily similar. The Cult of Tommy is a real thing.

Which I don't get why there's a cult of Tommy, I went to his video game live concert and he was an okay MC for it, but I got vibes that he has quite the ego or is at least slightly too cocky even back then. And although the Chameleon was similar their toy show mock up got outed as a fake really quickly and early on, which got people pissed enough to complain to whoever has the rights to the Coleco name, and the rights holders pulled the plug on it as it wasn't up to the standards the fans expected (ie didn't want the backlash from a bad product). Did Tommy buy all Intellivision IP rights or is he licensing them? That may be a key difference here along with the Amiico itself being a real but lovely product.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ah, but our collective prediction of "no one's gonna buy this poo poo" still holds strong.

This is kinda like Star Citizen at this point isn't it? In the respect that everyone who was gonna buy in has bought in already and the core market is saturated. Do we get to laugh when those who speculated on the "physical" games get stuck holding the bag?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Mode 7 posted:

Lol at it all starting to crumble into pieces with not even a whimper. I almost wish I'd gotten one of those physical Amico games that were just NFT RFID cards just as a bizarre collection piece.

Careful what you wish for on that; if you get sick of it as a bizarre collectible piece it'll be impossible to resell at any price. I did it to myself once with a Verizon promo relabeled NES cart that I'm either saddled with forever or just have to cut my losses and donate it to Goodwill or some poo poo.

Also man this is a disappointing whimper to end on, here's hoping for some lawsuits or anger or something. The company itself hasn't shut down yet has it? Just their third(?) crowdfunding missing the mark?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

theultimo posted:

Tommy Tallarico is now claiming Intellivision signed a couple licensing deals with Arcade1up. Guessing its literally lies but figures.

Assuming it's not lies for this thought exercise, wtf would Intellivision have that Arcade1up would want? All I can come up with is one of the exclusive modern games that are supposed to be on Amiico might translate to an okay arcade experience? Or it's something basic and pointless like shoving that fox game or the new Earthworm Jim into a mini arcade machine form factor?

It certainly shouldn't be putting old Intellivision games into an arcade machine because that's going backwards. A lot of those super old games were severely stripped down arcade ports to begin with.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Why am I so suprised if it is indeed Retro Bird who's doing the Tommy phone calls? Probably because it's a way different persona than his own youtube channel. I haven't delved deep into it but I did like what I did see, as I had stumbled across it while looking for inspiration(?) To curb/sell my own retro collection. There's quite a rash of "why I stopped/sold my collection" vids on youtube, mostly from a lot of smaller and lesser known channels.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Detective No. 27 posted:

I noticed those too. As someone who used to frequent retro game stores a ton, they have a different vibe these days. With the ballooning prices, it's just not worth it anymore. I picked a perfect time to go all in on Everdrives and ODEs.

Yeah, I don't know if it's just the high prices or if there's something more to this apparent collective exodus from the hobby. Personally I hit my original collecting goal, to experience all the games I'd missed as a child, and it happened to coincide with a great seller's market so it's time to scale back.

And even if it's due to game companies realizing they can make a quick buck I am glad they're making rereleases of beloved old games or finally bringing poo poo to the west so it's accessible to the average person. Too bad the Amiico/Intellivision over estimated its appeal and missed the mark on this and what people like about physical games to boot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
You're gonna see a port of Intellevision Lives on current gen consoles, by some desperate third tier game dev. It will have exactly the same impact as last time that Intellevision compilation was made, which is to say none at all.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ooooo, so we're moving into the transparent scam phase? Or just having a physical "location" that's a PO box while loose ends are tied up as the company winds down?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh I'm sure they started by intending to release a nostalgia cash in console, this probably leans more towards the latter of wrapping things up and closing shop in like a year.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Something, something, path to hell.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Considering that all that pre order money appears to have been pissed away on fancy offices and other luxury things instead of bringing a product to market, I am not surprised that it's come to this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I only had time to skim some of the video, but I'm left wondering why does Tommy have to self aggrandize so much? He's still obnoxious in the late 90s and early 00s but doesn't seem as bad about swiping credit then versus now. Is he currently chasing the "rock star" game dev fame he barely had back then? Rock star style game creators aren't a thing anymore, at least not in the same way they used to be.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I'm suprised that the VCS remake sputtered on this long; I thought it was gonna be vaporware when it was first announced/kickstartered.

Edit: Also was a good chunk of the reason I stopped reading the Atariage Facebook page, too many blindly devoted fanboys lapping up nu-Atari merch and this was merely icing on the cake for that.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Dec 20, 2022

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Detective No. 27 posted:

I guess the most charitable thing you can say about it is that it actually came out and could play games. It was a thing you could actually walk into a Best Buy and purchase.

Even if it’s dead, you could just load up Windows and you got a low spec gaming PC (or mid range? I don’t remember the specs). So it’s not a doorstop.

I forgot the specs outside of the common detractor insult of "it's just a linux box with a fancy case!" Take from that what you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Karl's guilt by association (and its a damning association iirc) sucks because he's the one with the concise video exposing and explaining the WATA grading and Heritage Auction collusion and I hate to link to it because nazis. Pat and Ian covered the scandal too but it's spread out across a bunch of podcasts.