Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the late 1970s, Mattel Electronics produced a games console to rival the Atari 2600. It was called The Intellivision and apparently wasn’t discontinued until 1990 according to Wikipedia. It’s relevance was before my time. Mattel let the brand go defunct and have licensed its games to various collections over the years. Intellivision’s legacy mostly regulated to being a trivia fact about being one of those ancient pre-NES consoles, the one with the weird lovely dial. Until now. Washed up 90s game composer, former G4 host, and avid Donald Trump supporter, Tommy Tallarico has bought the brand and is the CEO of a company attempting to launch a new Intellivision system called the Intellivision Amiico.

What is the Intellivison Amico?

The idea behind the console is to be a family friendly game system with the goal of reviving local multiplayer. All games on the platform must cost less than :10bux:, be rated E for Everyone, and must be exclusive to the platform. Games will be mostly 2D, with 3D games discouraged (I heard that open world games are full blown banned.) The controllers are rectangles with a small touch screen, disc dial, RFID, and an accelerometer. Or you can use your phone as a controller.

As a concept, that seems fine. A family friendly console isn’t a bad idea. I’m not a parent, but a system where I don’t have to worry about my kid racking up a mortgage worth of microtransactions in a soccer game sounds alright. Modern gaming is a nightmare of world designed to turn children into gambling addicts. However, none of what the Amico wants to do is going to work. The system runs off a midrange Android chipset from around 2014. Every game looks to be a mobile game port with a new feature added to it to meet the “exculsive” new game mandate. At the time of writing, a judge is trying to determine if Apple’s 30% itunes app store cut is too much. Tallarico has the balls to take 50% of the Amiico sales. 50% of a game that developers/publishers aren’t allowed to charge more than ten dollars for. Also, I believe the file size exceed a certain amount.
There’s also the cost of the console to consider. It costs $250, a mere $50 less than a Nintendo Switch or Xbox Series S, which both already offer a robust library of games, with established franchises that kids actually want to play from like Mario, Pokemon, and Minecraft. The most prominent game in development for the Amico is an Earthworm Jim reboot with bad flash graphics made by a TERF.

Tallarico has posted a “10 Commandments” for game developers.

Sounds like fun system to develop for.

The system also has “physical media” in the form of NFC tags to download the games, in conjunction with Topps. So hardly physical media at all.

Another problem is the brand. Intellivivision? Intellivision came and went before the current generation of young parents were even born. There is no nostalgia for it among the target audience. It’s either completely unknown or just thought of as ancient old poo poo.

The current state of the console: 【VAPORWARE】
The development has been mired in controversy. Delays upon delays upon delays. The latest ship date, October, has been delayed again until Christmas. Will it release then? Doubtful. Tallarico claims that the system keeps being delayed due to the worldwide chip shortage. While the chip shortage is probably a factor, what little footage of the system has been revealed suggests that that it probably doesn’t even have a firmware, most games aren’t finished, and the state of the controllers are far from finished (lots of input delay, shutting off after tapping the back with a finger.) A recent showing at a Crayola event has instilled less confidence, showing killer app cornhole in a really rough alpha state.

Tommy Tallarico
Tommy has been the face of this console and very prominent in all aspects of the marketing. As such, he has been very active in trying to silence criticism. He has been out there calling people “gaming racists.” There’s a soundbyte floating around where he insinuates that the Switch is full of games that feature rape and child exploitation.

There's a lot more that I haven't put in the OP, and I'm actually kinda shocked there hasn't been a thread for this yet. Remember how for E3, he reposted an old video of him demonstrating the console, with the only difference being him color correcting his skin tone to be more orange? Or how Finnegan Fox looked a lot better when it was Fox and Forest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's where I get a lot of my Amico updates from too. I haven't listened to this week's episode yet but apparently NFTs are involved now?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh yes, and I spoiled the J Allard bit they went over today. Sorry! :ohdear:

It's all good, it's a news/current events podcast, not something I'm even sure I can get spoiled on.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been listening to them since the Coleco Chameleon days. Boy howdy was that a saga. Ever since then they've been following anytime a sketchy new console gets announced.

The Atari VCS finally did come out and it ended up being a wet fart. But that was never going to be as fascinating as the Amico. Never had the right ingredients. No lofty goals helmed by an egomaniac. That isn't to say it's not stupid, it's plenty dumb. But at least you can walk into a Best Buy and actually get the thing if you wanted to.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So I have nothing against Intellivision or it's games. Never played them. My OP is somewhat dismissive of the console but that's mainly to convey how dumb it is to revive the brand in TYOOL 202X thinking the nostalgia is will cary the brand.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tommy gave Katamari Damacy a bad review because he didn't like the music.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1436421010102779906?s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Politics is when they talk about things I don't like.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd love to see some screenshots of some meltdowns if possible.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1443369553539391491?s=19

It's funny how he went to bat for known genocider Christopher Columbus when Sacco and Vanzetti were right there to prop up his victim complex.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

On Pat and Ian's podcast they pull up some job listings for super vital positions like firmware and store stuff that were listed much too recently for a console that was supposed to come out months ago. They sounded underpaid too. Plus I'm sure anyone would be too embarrassed to put the Amiico on their resume or use Talirico as a reference.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

At least amiibos don't gotta connect to a server or burn down any forests any time you use one.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1447578326751719428?t=O7XMuRax86x2km9YU0xf4Q&s=19

Here's hoping they announce the Analogue Amiico.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The stock photo thing is whatever. Sony did the same thing with some PS4 ad a while ago, but I think the big difference is that Sony is a gigantic company and that ad was probably farmed to some lazy marketing company while this version of Intellivison is quite smaller and should probably try to show as much of their console as possible to at least try to convince people that it's real and not some weird scam.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So did Hermen Hulst, head of Playstation Studios, when he tweeted a video last year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tangentially related:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He sure is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

:lol:https://twitter.com/madlittlepixel/status/1453477321235517440?t=w9NtBqz-77k-PzlEuMPh6A&s=19:
:lol:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like Mad Little Pixel's videos. He's a good dude. And he runs his own web store so a lot of the stuff he buys to review on his channel go up for sale, so I'm sure the plan is to recoup some cash for the purchase of his Amiico and those boxed "games." I'm pretty sure the Amiico will come out eventually and I'm glad there are people taking the bullet to review it when it comes out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Intellivision/status/1463227509684768770?t=vallb_EYEqCX8ozmqZm1ag&s=19

Releasing the product is the first step towards failure.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I vaguely remember hearing about that. Wouldn't be surprised if it got ported to phones and Switch the nanosecond the exclusivity contract ends (or they could just release a slightly altered version outside of Amico so it counts as a different game, by Amico standards.) Even googling it, the auto suggestion brought up "Ecco The Dolphin Amiibo" and not Amico.

Has it even been confirmed how exclusively works for this thing? Would a game's exclusivity last from X months/years after launch of the console or completion of the game? Or are there set dates? I imagine that's tricky for console lahnches, probably even trickier for vaporware.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not only did it come out, it's a thing you can order from Best Buy, right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Catching up on this week's CU Podcast and Pat says he's played Dolphin Quest. Ed Annunziata, creator of Ecco The Dolphin, is indeed working on it. (I figured as much, a lot of those classic era Sega franchises are either partially or fully owned by their original creator, like ToeJam and Earl) But it's not going to be Amico exclusive, it'll be multiplatform. Pat played a pre-alpha version using a PS4 controller. Ed told him "It plays great on Switch". Kickstarter is gonna launch sometime next year.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

One of those private investors is also the German government.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Partycat posted:

I pre ordered the Amico and kind of forgot about it . Looks like it’s going well. I really wanted a couch bullshit game console which this looked like , and enjoyed AD&D on the OG Intellivision.

Might have to get a refund and buy a Nintendo switch

For the good of this thread I'm begging you keep the preorder and give us updates if this actually ships. :allears:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

So my prediction goes from "definitely not happening" to "slight chance it releases this year."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatTheNESpunk/status/1490827509461438467?t=-ghuyGbYasfRJwgVzfJtvg&s=19

https://youtu.be/5bhMdhcdfMY

The trailer is kind of an improvement, but had some baffling parts. They reiterate that the controls are easy to figure out while showing a confused grandma who has a kid show her how to do it. The disc accessory for your phone :dogstare:. And then the spot where they talk about all the money raised from investors?!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Absolutely. The footage of the families playing looked fine but then they'd show the games and any semblance of an illusion just fell apart. That poo poo might entertain a kid on a tablet who doesn't know better but no one else in the family is gonna be entertained. Also they tried to bring up the "games parents grew up playing" angle and it falls flat. The parents these days grew up playing SNES through PS2 games in their childhood.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/1491225300759318529?t=NDN8kKWbiloM2fG5T3QGUg&s=19

:chanpop::bighow::kstarehair:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is good for Intellivision, actually.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For sale, Amico game, never played.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think this has to be the new thread title, really. Succinct, apropos, beautiful.

I'd change it if I could. Mods, do the needful.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Talarico will finally bow down in peace and humility.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/thenosweargamer/status/1498721690074943488?t=rjn7v4psWU6GraRCJWw4bA&s=19

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/madlittlepixel/status/1498850400966828037

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/madlittlepixel/status/1499147247186894850?t=jYhhUtQ3bOtNN3RuG8BwRg&s=19

https://youtu.be/qQzdAsjWGPg

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was listening to the CUPodcast today and I was thinking. They usually record on Tuesdays. Probably morning or mid day, and have the podcast up by Tuesday night. That Amico unboxing video was released Tuesday afternoon. I do wonder if Intellivision intentionally timed the upload to come out at a time after Pat and Ian got done recording. It might be a :tinfoil: thought but with this company, there's a large chance.

Also he couldn't help but mention Tommy when going over the language options. I can't think of any other video game console companies or even tech gadget companies that do this. Years ago, when the corporate personalities like Reggie and Iwata were at the forefront of their E3 and other video presentations, they wouldn't talk about themselves when unveiling new consoles. Nobody gives a poo poo about Tommy Talarico. Let alone their (imaginary) target market.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A tiny bit of fraud.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it even does manage to release it's gonna have less games than Ouya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love the CU Podcast but I usually stop when they get to the voicemails now.