Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CM PUNK
This poll is closed.
CM PUNK 47 25.68%
CM PUNK 41 22.40%
CM PUNK 71 38.80%
CM PUNK 24 13.11%
Total: 183 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm rewatching on the TSN feed.

He (indirectly) apologized to Colt on air.

The pipe-bomb callback.

I know AEW has an (unfair in my oppinion) reputation for overpromising and underdelivering.

But that segment was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I'm probably misquoting, but his "I hope you all can understand I wasn't mentally well for most of the last 7 years" was called out to the "people in the back"

maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was half expecting them to lead with Punk just because otherwise he'd hijack the whole show, but somehow was still suprised when they just jumped right into CM Punk chants, then the video.

I assume there was music too.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4cvWsdNJ0

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pinwiz11 posted:

I just got home.

OMG.

As I said, I wasn't following wrestling during CM Punk's original runs so I just know the name and the stories and enough to know what he's talking about during the promo.

But,

I know when something big was happening and that entire speech was golden. I'm so glad I went, I'm so glad I could be in the building, I'm so glad I got ice cream... AEW is amazing!

--

How did the other matches play on TV? After Punk I was fairly exhausted.

crowd was DEAD for the main.

still invested, just exhausted.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smarxist posted:

was just thinking about how Punk might be exactly the type of guy who could reach Hangman and notice his name absent here...

Punk is gonna feud with Hangman.

It's gonna be a Hangman written feud though so it will be more subtle than Straight-edge guy mocks problem drinker.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

HELLO EVERYONE, WE HAVE A SPECIAL CM PUNK THEMED PROP BET! This one is not only for a CM Punk themed 24 hour probation for the losers, but a special edition FREE avatar for the winners! To make the wager, quote this post.

Does AEW Rampage beat AEW Dynamite in the rating? We will be using the Monday figure to score this.

Yes/No answers only. If it does exactly identical, then everyone who bet gets the free avatar. Both the avatar and the probation are CM Punk themed.

screw it: yes!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I’m surprised it took this long for someone to just say it

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

luchadornado posted:

Is it strange how quiet it's been on the Hangman Page front? Didn't it pretty much came out with the AAA stuff that the original plan was to have him beat Kenny at All Out? He's that important to AEW and Punk puts over every other young talent - yet no one is saying a word about Page after he got his rear end kicked.

Sure there's a great reason for it, and it's not likely to mean anything. But that there's even the smallest chance something happens to Christian, and Page could return on Sept 1 dynamite...

Wrestling is great.

that was never the plan since his wife got pregnant?

Even Him winning at Full Gear (the PPV named after him) is just internet fantasy booking

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AEW has so many insane mic guys.

I am still in awe over their reaction to the non-exploding ring deathmatch was: "Wait, we had Eddie Kingston, Jon Moxley, and Don Callus involved in that match" So they just asked them to fix it for them.

"I did that before even leaving the ring, Tony" said Mox.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

:colbert: Britt Baker's boyfriend needs to find his own gimmick, AEW has a Chair Pervert already. (That said, I could see Punk moving on to feuding with MJF/The Pinnacle after All Out)

Man, I could see AEW not screw up a legend killer gimmick with MJF.

The person who finally kills him is going to get such a rub.

(It'll be Jungle Boy, BTW)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Realized tonight that BROCK Anderson is playing the role of QT in Cody's re-run of the Brodie feud.

All we need is for a retiring legend to gift him their finisher.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smarxist posted:

edit: sigh, nevermind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuEdU_lrtZk&t=149s

was it this?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

a cyborg mug posted:

CM Punk might meet Lulu Pencil. What a world we live in

Punks not gonna be around for the Dark tapings

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Barreft posted:

Ryan Nemeth? isn't that Ziggler's name? they related?
If they are, please don't bring Ziggler to AEW.

Dude.

Watch the youtube shows (this means scrubbing through BTE too)

Ryan Nemeth and the Wingmen, Chaos Project, The Acclaimed, most of the women, The Varsity Blondes,

There's like a whole sub-fed running the Dark shows that's just kinda green young wrestlers figuring out how to work onscreen.

Taz/Excalibur is a fun podcastBroadcast team too, because they aren't working at TV levels of seriousness.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

And I can't find the Silence of the Lambs video!!!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Barreft posted:

Oh I'm not bitching about Ryan. I'm worried they'll bring in Dolph cause his way more talented brother is there.

too bad, you gave the thread a chance to talk about it's third favorite topic.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah one of the best parts of AEW is the long-term storytelling.

One of the worst parts is the long-term storytelling means people will look at someone like Peter Avalon, Brandon Cutler, Luther, etc and think we're all insane for being so in love with these obvious jobbers.

The Stroker Ace posted:

If I were to eat one of those ice cream bars right now, would it taste the same? Or, was it the innocence of youth?

No it would taste different because they are 30 years old by now.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Barreft posted:

I watched the last two weeks.

Ok. You NEED to understand Adam Page's story. It's a work of art that surpasses it's medium. (And the triumphant finale is yet to come!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHZTX1tTgZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHToSLL_lc

Unfortunately this only takes you up to early this year.

I'll save any more "Musts" for the megathread.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Stall_19 posted:

That is perfectly fine. Have him be AEW's Brock Lesnar

PAC still lives in Newcastle doesn't he?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

This is probably true, but they really could use another viable heel or two near the top of the card sooner rather than later. Archer, Eddie and PAC (Lucha Bros know no alignment) all have turned face in pretty short order, and now Brian Cage as well.

The Stroke Daddy needs his time in....

smarxist posted:

i feel like we're going to be entering the Stroke Daddy Era soon

yeah this.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

explosivo posted:

So what's the deal with Adam Cole? He's done with no noncompete because he agreed to work up through this weekend?

non-competes are only for people let go before the end of thier contract.

If his contract was only through the weekend, he could show up on a special Live Elevation and there's nothing WWE could do about it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

yea ok posted:

it wasn't an exaggeration. his contract expired but he's a professional and worked through summerslam for them.

sounds like he made sure he was under a temp contract through Summerslam.

He's a profesional, not an idiot, then.

also, whoever is doing contract management at WWE needs to be in the next rounds of cuts.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Who gives a poo poo what people think? If watching Luther makes you happy then you watch the gently caress out of Luther, my dude. Life's too short.

Oh, I am VERY there don't worry.

I just find "Lance Hoyt? LOL" to be a aggravating take to hear from "influencers" who would probably be able to love something if they just give it a couple months to be what it is.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

neoaxd posted:

The most important to take away from BTE is that Gallows' piss is very sour.

My takeaway is that Sourboy isn't caused by sour, it's only ever been caused by Gallows' piss.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

The only one I can think of is Fenix vs Pentagon and that was more or less by popular demand.

gently caress, I forgot how good the original Eddie Kingston's Heel Stable run ended.

Penta and Fenix just murdering each other while Tony is utterly horrified.

"What did you do Eddie?"

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I bet the number is LESS than 328million

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Here’s some Nielsen numbers:

- 2 1/2
- 33 1/3

I appreciate those numbers

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lamuella posted:

So how hard would making Korakuen Hall as an in-game venue be? I'm thinking "not that hard" but then I know nothing.

They already have Daily’s Place: The American Korakuen Hall

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

All the other hybrids are fake.

Like snakes.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Punk debuted August 20

Not much summer left.

Come up with a new gimmick!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

smarxist posted:

ngl that peek at live TV direction was pretty cool

The director marking out at the crowd dive was cool.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Darby losing is fine.

He's already beaten Cody (after 3 amazing tries), Team Taz, defended the TNT title against real opponenets, and put Ethan page in a coffin (then coffin dropped that coffin)

That's been his 2021. Oh, and Sting is his dad now.

He could get squashed and stay over, he's not going to get squashed.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love the fact that the start of this whole discusion was a tweet about the discorse that's going to happen after Darby loses.

"Why wait?" decided the goons.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Too much time between AEW content so we have to have discourse about the discourse

can we have a discourse about the finish to the Best Friends/HFO match on Dark today?

I liked it a lot.

As a Dark finish, it looked a little too gimicked for a Dynamite.

edit:

Oh, poo poo.

Brock Anderson has less than 24 hours to live.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 25, 2021

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cavauro posted:

i thought that tweet was a family member logged into his account saying rest in peace to brian pillman jr. but it wasn't

https://twitter.com/FlyinBrianJr/status/1430351894665441283?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Oh right.

Gunn club is in the “who jobs for the jobbers” role.