Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Cloning and then dumping them in another dimension or whatever sounds super wasteful. Like even if you don't need all that meat building a train for every trip is insane :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Marluxia posted:

Incidentally, this explains how the rabbits gets into the LoboCorp main building, but now the question is, if W Corp's true technology is in fact, cloning a perfect copy, not teleportation, then what does R Corp actually have?
R-corp doesn't exist. It is a puppet of W-Corp, who trained several capable fixers and sends their copies all over the City.
That's why R-corp requires separate contract with W-Corp for "transportation", because, if you could take money for same job twice, why wouldn't you?

CHiRAL posted:

Cloning and then dumping them in another dimension or whatever sounds super wasteful. Like even if you don't need all that meat building a train for every trip is insane :thunk:
Trains are actually biological and are cloned too /sarcasm

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

MiiNiPaa posted:

You know, in this universe that might be the case, with its own set of terrifying implications!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

MiiNiPaa posted:

oobitydoo posted:

You know, in this universe that might be the case, with its own set of terrifying implications!

who is to say that something that conveniently looks like a 'train' from one perspective can't also be an extradimensional Worm attracted from an entirely normal place by W-corps singularity, which usually just harmlessly consumes the qualia from its passengers?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

silentsnack posted:

who is to say that something that conveniently looks like a 'train' from one perspective can't also be an extradimensional Worm attracted from an entirely normal place by W-corps singularity, which usually just harmlessly consumes the qualia from its passengers?

it's not easy getting the worms to take passengers; they have to be highly

trained

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Ws power has to actually be teleporting of some form because if it was make copies of things, surely you'd just clone really expensive weapons and sell them instead.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Ws power has to actually be teleporting of some form because if it was make copies of things, surely you'd just clone really expensive weapons and sell them instead.

Isn't that more of a Workshop thing? IDK where or how the Wings get their weapons, but the amount of workshops and the talk around them makes me think there isn't really a centralized weapons-manufacturing Wing at all.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

silentsnack posted:

Ah, so *that's* what the amber ordeals were! They were trains!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Sounds like copyright infringement to me.

If it is making copies, it could just be restricted to organic material or something anyways.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

If "train is getting discarded" theory is correct, that means, while poor small business owners in the Backstreets of District 23 experience ingredient shortages and struggle to make ends meet, W-Corp, owner of District 23 Nest, throws away trainfuls of perfectly fine ingredients. This kind of waste is unexcusable. We must petition W-Corp to adopt zero-waste policy and give out unneeded ingredients to help promote small family establishments in the Backstreets.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
If whole trains are getting shunted into nullspace as identical clones phase into existence at the destination...would W Corp even know about it? We only know it happens because of whatever Cogito bullshit powers the Library. From W Corp's perspective, it'd be a total success with zero downsides.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 20: Love Town—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Okay. I think I've got the hang of these things…

Why's your face all bandaged?

I've been swinging chains around to practice. It went about as well as you'd think.

It's important to keep your wounds bound!

Your help with this matter is appreciated, Netzach. Our enemy this time is highly unusual.

Eh… I'm just in it so you'll get off my back when I drink. Can't be much worse than an Abnormality, right?

It'll be your job to ascertain that. Based on what we see, we'll prepare additional countermeasures as appropriate.

Because we've been run right into a boss fight we're not supposed to face for a while longer, I'm taking the fight a bit more seriously than normal. All three of the Floor of Art members are decked out in Jikan Key Pages, with Concentration + Snipe from the Full-Stop Office in order to maximize their turn 1 power. They also are each specialized in a different damage type.

Right… let's do this, I guess.

Netzach has Pierce damage covered, and between Refine and Mend Weapon he'll be able to throw out some massive dice even after turn 1 is over.

Wait… we all got asked to use the same base form. Why do you look different?

After the first few minutes of using the chains, I realized that it'd be a much better idea to simply project my form's appearance as one of those axe users! All the power, but a weapon that's much more delightfully chunky to use! HAHA, I'm sure you understand!

…Somehow, yeah. I kind of got it.

Mr.Black is our Slash user, and that means using several self-Bleed pages. He'll be the first one to fall in battle, but he's going to enable everyone else's passives and deal unsightly levels of damage and Bleed to the enemy.

I tried to convince him to pick a body that didn't feel pain, since this is a suicide mission. He wouldn't listen.

Mr.Blond is completing the trio as our Blunt damage user. We have the fewest real options for a Blunt deck right now, but between Opportunity Spotted and Observe we should be able to make things work out.

Love Town itself is a 2-Act affair, with the first Act being four townspeople. This is also our first hint that we aren't supposed to be here yet:

This fight is intended to be 4 vs 4, and we don't have any floors that can match that. We're outnumbered.

The townspeople come in three different flavors: Slash, Pierce, and Blunt. Each one is weak against the types it doesn't resist, but their Ineffective resistance to their signature type lowers all damage from that type to a quarter of what it would be.

Music: NetzachStory01

Well that's… disturbing. Everyone's stomach okay?

Of course. They're just like some of the hunks of meat we'd see in the EU when the Clerks got too close to an Ordeal.

These are alive, though.

They're certainly smiling like good boys and girls… I wonder how their experiences would taste?

Dude. Gross!

The Love Townspeople are thankfully simple to explain. Each one has only two different pages, with offensive dice of the same type that the Townsperson is resistant to.

The first, [Pointed/Heavy/Sharp] Ram, is a 3-die attack that punishes us for Clashing with it, so we want to avoid doing that.

The other, [Pointed/Heavy/Sharp] Pommelin', has a single offensive die that gains +10 power in a one-sided attack. These we want to ensure we Clash against.

Since our first turn gives us +4 power on all offensive dice, we really want to seize the initiative and deal as much damage as possible. I also want as many Emotion Coins as I can generate.

Oh, man… this guy doesn't even have a face anymore.

At least it doesn't smell that bad. I was expecting it to reek.

It's a delightfully fleshy aroma! When you cut it, there's even a measure of blood that's added to the fragrance! Whoever that doctor was, he did a good job on the aesthetics! Visuals aside, of course! HAHAHAHAHA!

They were on a train where nothing ever changed for them. There's no way they would actually smell. Nothing could have gotten them dirty.

A remarkably good point! I wonder if W Corp will make those trains into food storage devices, after they figure out the glitch.

No one would want that! How could you make sure the frozen time thing wouldn't extend outside of the fridge?

There's probably a Singularity out there to fix that, too.

C'mon, boss! Don't encourage him..!

If I can keep my mind on perfectly kept beer, then I don't have to think about how freaky those things we're fighting are.

…oh my god, you're doing the Abnormality thing?

Have you looked at them? It seemed worth a try.

HAHAHAHAHA! Do you feel that?! We've done it, boys! They've come to help us!

I've got the piercing attacks, I'll take it.

After our Full-Stop enabled opening turn, we've got a firm upper hand. This first scene is basically a warmup to allow us to learn the basic mechanics of how the Townspeople work, while letting us build up the Emotion Level of one of our floors.

Hey, Zaida. What'd they mean by "Abnormality thing?"

Hell if I know, I never went through basic.

It was designed as a way for new L Corp Employees to handle dealing with Abnormalities deemed too taxing for their mental strength. When you're around one, you focus on anything but it. Think about whatever comes to mind, and voice the non-sequiturs to keep from thinking about the thing at hand. Be careful not to direct the talk at it, since that can lead to job errors. It raises work efficiency…

And prevents vomiting?

I ah… couldn't think of anything else just then, sir. :sweatdrop:

I seriously can't imagine what kind of place you were working at where that would be a required skill…

The plan here is to finish off the two Staggered Townspeople, Stagger the third, and then we'll be free to beat down the last one at our leisure.

This one's not going to be doing anything for a second… I'm almost jealous.

And THIS fine fellow's knocked for an even bigger loop! HAHAHA, oh, this is quite the rush!

They're not dying, though…

They're a bit tough, it seems!

Just do what you can, I guess…

While the plan didn't go quite how I'd have liked, we're still definitely going to win in the next couple turns. We just can't be careless.

Since these two are both Pommelin', we're going to counter with guaranteed knockouts.

This one is just to keep it from getting the +10 power.

I got the one in the back. You sure you want to attract that much attention, Mr.Black?

I want to see how they're different on the insides, and I can't do that from back here!

…if you say so.

Alright… got one. Now let's check out its—

…book? Hey, this one didn't turn into anything.

It must not have had anything of note left inside itself. Its pages are disappearing.

So this is all just a waste of time?

Maybe another one has something for us.

Nothing in this one, either.

HAHAHA! This one's dissolved as well! How vexing!

The Love Townspeople do not provide any literature for us. This means we can only get new books if we defeat Tomerry.

Well, setting that aside, I can hear that song again…

Then let's resonate!

Echoes deals 8 Stagger Damage to the last remaining Townsperson, just a little more than what we needed to Stagger it.

Music: NetzachBattle02

Don't hold back, now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I think we've got the hang of it.

We just have to hope that thing from the vision isn't as tough as it looks…

Act 2 is the main event today. In addition to one Townsperson of each type, we're faced with the first true boss fight of the game: Tomerry.

Tomerry's first ability, Shimmering, is one that we'll be seeing on occasion from here forward. It means that the boss follows a predictable AI with the pages it plays, and as such it's possible to know what the boss will do beforehand. While I don't know the patterns for any of the other bosses in the game, I do know Tomerry's. Let's dig into it.

On turns 1-3, Tomerry will play a pair of pages called Ruckus and Let's Play!

These two pages are moderately powerful, and Let's Play! in particular is all but assured to get at least one hit on our team. Additionally, on turns 1 and 2 there's a slight chance that another page is added instead of one of these if a Townsperson is still alive:

Love Town Welcomes All gives 3 Strength to everyone on the next turn if the second attack hits. Since the first die is Evade and the second is a mere 1-3, this actually isn't a bad page to run into, as long as we can reliably break the die it gives us a much needed reprieve from the more damaging pages.

Everything changes on turn 4. At the start of the turn, all the Townspeople take 50 Stagger Damage, instantly staggering them. Tomerry also uses a new page, Woulda Square Look Nice?

While this page is active, Tomerry's Stagger Resistance changes to Fatal across the board, and our goal is to deal it 85 Stagger damage in one turn. If we can't, then it gets to make its next move…

A pair of Triangle Sounds Better! while it has 5 Strength from Woulda Square Look Nice?. Without question, this will Stagger and likely outright defeat any Librarian we can field right now. After this is over (or, if it was Staggered successfully), the turn count resets and it starts from the beginning.

As for its other passives, The Power of Love means that any dead Townspeople will revive in the next round with half their HP, making focusing them down first a risky proposition. Dernier Armor is a hint passive, showing that this fight has multiple phases. We'll get into its effects later.

Stay calm, everyone.

Oh… um, it's very nice to meet you! We… have to beat you up if we want books, right? H… here goes!

What's happening..?

Its emotions seem to be resonating with the Library.

:siren:Music: From a Place of Love:siren:

Certain enemies have the ability to change the floor they're fighting on to their own territory. Any time we see something like this happen, it's an indication that this is a tough enemy. .

Oh..! I brought the town here with me!

HAHAHAHA! Fantastic!

What the hell?! This is like some kind of Abnormality!

Just stay focused… things just got troublesome.

Now, regular logic may dictate that we should focus Tomerry down first, before it can get a lot of damage onto our Librarians. The Townspeople are very much against that, however.

All three of them seem to spam their Pommelin' page whenever they're able to do so. If we don't clash them, that +10 power will wreck our team in a hurry.

I'll see how powerful it is… Keep an eye out.

Okay everybody… do your best to fold 'em up! Then, mommy gives us prizes!

Outside of the one clash each, I've focused everything else on Tomerry, in hopes of piling on damage on our Full-Stop turn.

Uggh, I barely managed to scratch this thing.

HAHAHA, it's because you aren't smiling! Smile, smile!

We are on a hosed up meat train, you idiot! How am I supposed to smile?!

With your face muscles!

I managed to hurt this one something fierce, too.

You're… bad bullys! I'll punish you!!

Boss!

…That… wasn't so bad, actually.

Let's see how you like it.

Don't like it at all! Gonna' fold you up!

Only if it's a smiley face!

Smiley… face? Um… I like squares and triangles!

Then it's no good!

Waaaah..!

That child wants to help us this time… Do you think he'll smile?

I'll take the power.

Why do you have to do it?

Because honestly, we probably can't kill this thing. Mr.Black's going to bleed out before it dies, and the two of us can't take on all four of these things.

An unexpectedly rational decision. I thought you would seek to avoid death.

Hell, who wouldn't try to avoid death? I'm just trusting my gut for once, when it tells me this is the right call.

…Hey, Netzach. Can you do me a favor?

What is it?

Weaken that potato-looking guy just a little bit more, but leave the townspeople alone beyond that.

That's suicide.

Can't you just trust my gut a little, guy?

Fine. You heard him, team.

Then that means it's time for a little payback.

My overall plan at this point is to put the HP of each Townsperson into the low 40s, and then focus down Tomerry as much as possible. This floor simply doesn't have the sustain or the power necessary to take on the boss by itself, so I'm going to use it to set up my next floor for a victory.

Didn't mommy ever tell you bullying was bad..?!

That doesn't count in a deathmatch!

It doesn't..?

The actual rules are that you're supposed to let us attack you one-sidedly. Then, you do the same.

Wait… I know what this is! You're bad people!

You shouldn't tell lies!

Ah, it was worth the shot.

I've got this one set up, boss.

Good. The others?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

They both went for Mr.Black. Not sure how much longer he'll be able to keep this up.

I've got one good attack left in me! Nothing to worry about!

Right. In that case…

Let's make it count, I guess.

Since our goal here is to pour as much damage on Tomerry as possible at this point, clashes don't really matter much anymore. Ideally we want to redirect them to as low a speed die as possible, to keep it from getting any defensive dice until our side's attacked.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

This one isn't like the blood lumps at home! It's shaped like mommy or daddy, but it's so ferocious!

That's because he doesn't want to die, obviously!

Die..? I don't know what that is…

It's nothingness. Not existing anymore. Something all people run from.

Oh! I… I know what this is! You're making things up again! When I fold things up, they always come back later for more! You… you can't fool me, you bully!

This thing clearly doesn't understand.

Can you really blame it, though..? Nearly 2000 years without the ability to die, it has to do things to your mind.

Speaking of not understanding..!

This seems to be the end of the road for me..!

That's got to be the most strained smile I've ever seen.

True… it's not easy..! But to the very end..!

Welp… he died.

You okay, boss?

Just expressing my frustrations. You?

I knew it was a suicide mission going in. This was the only way it could end.

He died taking a massive chunk out of that thing in front of us. We'll have to make use of it.

Our attack brings Tomerry below 50% HP, which triggers Dernier Armor.

Something… empty. Something's empty. Something's wrong? What's wrong?! What happened?!

Well… would you look at that. They killed one of ours, but it turns out we got one of them, too.

Killed..? Got..? This is… death?

You got it.

I… I… kill you all!!!

Uh… Angela, you got any information?

Yes. It seems angry.

…Great.

Below 50% HP, Tomerry's pattern changes. For starters, it gains 1 Strength and 2 Endurance every turn, boosting its die rolls accordingly. Its attacks also change.

Every turn it uses one Whip of Love, a page that hits us with a massive Slash die. It's exactly as dangerous as it looks.

While it's over 25% HP, it also gains one Wrath of Torment every turn as well—this page hits incredibly hard, at the cost of 7 HP. Right now, our goal is to hold out as long as possible to let her get off as many of these as we can afford. Luckily for us, Jikan's page is beefy and Mr.Blond and Netzach still have much of their remaining HP.

Unfortunately, we're pretty much completely out of pages to play at this point, and Light to play it with. Netzach's floor is all but tapped out.

Mr.Blond manages to score a lucky blow on Tomerry even through Wrath of Torment.

Whip of Love Staggers Netzach, though. It's a hit that looks every bit as big as it is. :allears:

Mr.Blond makes one more valiant attempt to hurt Tomerry as much as possible…

Before he, too, is Staggered. The Floor of Art is out of gas.

…We've done… about all we could… Sorry it wasn't much.

You performed your job to a satisfactory level, Netzach. You can rest peacefully.

Not… quite yet. There's still one more thing to do.

Oh?

That kid… really doesn't like it when his friends die.

Oh f—

Ahhgh!!

Netzach's defeat triggers Teardrop, which takes Mr.Blond out of the fight and deals a hefty chunk of damage to the enemy team.

We lost, but Tomerry is on its last legs.

…Roland, I believe you said you had a plan?

Ah, yes ma'am.

Then handle it.

Since none of the Townspeople died, they don't revive with 50% of their HP. This means we should have an easy cleanup.

Roland is running an Olga deck with the Hanafuda passives to give him Light and extra draw when he discards his hand. Between that, Best Choice to keep his HP up, and Flaming Bat for random burns, he could probably take care of the fight by himself. That's good, because…

Zaida and Steve are both using decks designed around drawing through themselves so that they'll have an Observe and a Wait Up! In hand on turn 4. My original plan was to use them on the Squares turn, then go for the kill immediately to skip this entire phase. Unfortunately, I underestimated how much damage Netzach's crew would do and now I'm taking decks timed for turn 4 into a fight that goes hard from turn 1. :lobcorp:, I guess.

What are you even using?

It's a combat oboe. Didn't you see it before?

A combat oboe…

It's a perfectly normal weapon!

…Whatever. So, we need to stop that horrible thing, right?

That's the size of it.

SSDD. Let's do the work and go home.

Here it comes…

Don't barf.

Music: From a Place of Love

Still so empty… euh..?? More… bad people!

Now that Tomerry is below 25% HP, it'll start using its final page instead of Wrath of Torment.

Faint Memories gives Tomerry a solid evade die alongside a pair of powerful attacks. Due to the 2 Endurance from Dernier Armor's effect, that first die is a 6-12 Evade, a high bar to get over even for our best pages.

This is going to get ugly, you guys. Just do what you can.

This isn't our first time fighting this kind of monster, you know.

…Yeah. Guess that's pretty obvious.

While my plan here was to finish off the Townspeople on turn 1…

The luck just doesn't pan out. :rolldice:

BLAGH!

Meanwhile, Steve takes a Whip of Love to the face.

…Dude.

Zaida, meanwhile, eats the Faint Memories.

We've weathered the worst of it. Now's our chance.

Proactive today, aren't you?

Just don't want to die.

Then just leave it to me.

Hey… guys?

Little… help?

Of course it's not that easy.

Steve's still alive for this turn, so I grab Pulsation to make up for the Strength loss Zaida's about to have from him dying. We need to deal damage to keep Zaida and Roland from dying, but if we don't keep the pressure up we're dead anyways so that doesn't matter..

Why… am I so alone?! I'm missing from myself..!

Hey, hey… stop talking like that, or I'll feel even worse about all this.

I decide I need Tomerry dead right now. Its 4 die is going right for Steve with another Whip of Love, and the 1 is a Faint Memories also at him. He's basically going to die, so I focus on having Zaida steal the Sharp Pommelin' off of Roland, and focus everything else on Tomerry directly. Roland can tank the other two hits from the Townspeople.

Still… up..!

Against all odds, Steve isn't immediately annihilated by Whip of Love.

You've caused a lot of trouble for us today. Running around, breaking this and that… but it ends here.

I'm so lonely… it's empty! It's empty! I'm empty inside!!

Yeah… I know. You're a pitiable creature now. But ultimately, that's that…

And this is this.

Good one, boss!

Don't… congratulate me just now.

Uh… ma'am?

You've removed the source of the disturbance in the Library. It seems that in doing so, you've normalized things.

Music: KeterBattle01

I guess we'll just have to clean up now, then.

With Tomerry gone, the Library returns to normal, and the music with it. We're officially in cleanup mode. Also, Steve's still alive! This is because Pulsation cannot reduce his HP below 1, meaning if he gets hit at all he's out of here.

Hey, Steve. I'll take care of your share, so just make sure to hit them while they're distracted.

Thanks, man!

I've gotta say though, Zaida…

The other fights were life-and-death too, weren't they? I'm serious, I've never seen you so motivated.

That's because a healthy work-life balance means knowing when to give it your all.

Steve, you took three hits I really didn't want anyone else eating and you didn't die. I can't ask for anything more from you. :allears:

Tomerry isn't actually all that difficult, so long as we have the resources the game expects of us—with 4-person floors and the pages from the other receptions at this point, it's actually much easier than it appears. Fighting it early, though…

It's clearly possible, but really just don't.

Music: Result

Some good that combat oboe did you, huh?

Just you wait. Next time, I'll show you what it can really do.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

Well… Anything can happen. Does that console you somehow?

Not at all. I’m different. I won’t go through the same ordeal ever again. I retained myself unlike those people. I persevered, I didn’t let time consume my sanity. I didn’t break down… I…

Alright, let’s just calm down and take a deep breath. When the memories of hard times burst forth, you gotta embrace ‘em to the core…

And at last, our ordeal is over. While Tomerry's book might sound promising, in practice it's not really all that great for us. This is because it's a bit special.

Each book of Tomerry we burn will give us the same 6 pages: three copies each of Wrath of Torment and Faint Memories. That's it.

Regardless, we've finished out one of our branches for now. That means it's time to pick where to go again, and we've got one less option to worry about now!

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"But nothing could compare to the music it makes when it eats a human."

Wanna hear more about the Pianist?

Help me help you. There's drawtech here. Seriously.

Me? A weaver I am, making fine silk.

Videos

Love Town 2
vs Love Town (Unedited combat footage; may cause distortions. Watch at own risk.)

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 19, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
My good sir, you appear to have forgotten to place a bunch of siren emotes around this incredible song. For anyone who didn't click this, you really should probably listen to it. Project Moon got Mili to make a whole bunch of songs for this game beyond the opening theme, and they're all really worth listening to.

So yeah there's exactly zero benefit to doing Love Town early. You don't get any keypage from it, and neither of the two cards Tomerry drops are useful enough to make this fight worth it.
New Combat Pages

This is a pretty fantastic card. We don't have any way to use it right now. I'll bring it up again when we do.

Wrath of Torment is basically just Now Die but with less self-damage. It's not bad per se, but you can just do the rusted chains and get Now Die if you want a card like this, so...

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Lovetown :allears:

Of all the words that could be used, I think 'memorable' fits best here.
...Beyond that? Well.. Folks might want to watch the video for this one.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
This fight looks unimaginably brutal for earlygame without much else being done, but you pulled it off nonetheless, that's impressive.

Steve tanking all those resoundingly lethal and hard hits without dying, not bad at all for an ordinary, run of the mill guy.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BraveLittleToaster posted:

This fight looks unimaginably brutal for earlygame without much else being done, but you pulled it off nonetheless, that's impressive.

Steve tanking all those resoundingly lethal and hard hits without dying, not bad at all for an ordinary, run of the mill guy.
It's a fight that's very clearly meant to be the final boss of the tier, between the sheer toughness of Tomerry and their buddies, the 4-man party limit, the lackluster drops, and most importantly the unique music. It's easily the hardest fight yet, where you're expected to have all the options the tier has to offer. To have cleared it at, functionally, the start of the tier is damned impressive.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Congrats dealing with Tomerry. It is pain in the rear end. I went "deal with townspeople first and focus tomerry later" route and it worked well in the end. And instead of Roland's power I went to Hod's tanking everything with Walter key page and Abno pages + Mend Weapon and Pierce for damage on her.

Stasis Preservation boxes exist in the City! Roland mentioned that he bought one from U-Corp.

TeeQueue posted:

I was dispatched to a district famous for pajeon, which was my wife’s favorite food. I could almost see her mouth water with the thought of eating it when she sent me off. To live up to my better half’s expectations, I purchased a stasis preservation box from U Corp. to present her with a warm pajeon that’s straight from the kitchen.

TeeQueue posted:

Not at all. I’m different. I won’t go through the same ordeal ever again. I retained myself unlike those people. I persevered, I didn’t let time consume my sanity. I didn’t break down… I…
Press X to Doubt.

Wrath of Torment is almost as powerful, as full-power Scratch That, with obvious downside of having to spend 7 HP. If you have means of healing, it could be useful card.

Faint Memories. It is a great 2-cost even without triggering its bonus, it is almost on the same level, as Retaliate, a great 3-cost, which is still useful at this stage. And after triggering it, it becomes insanely good. Only problem with it, < 25% HP is something you don't want to be in, or, at least, want to postpone that moment for as long as possible. It will also clash with healing, which can raise your HP above threshold.

Now for some nerdy technical stuff
Dernier Armor and The Power of Love passives. They lie to you. Actually, they do nothing at all, they are just here to be in the passives list. You can remove them and nothing changes.
Woulda Square Look Nice? does nothing aside from giving +5 strenght next turn. Ignore other card text, it does not do what it says.

Now, Shimmering. It does everything. Resurrecting falling mobs at the end of Act? Shimmering does that. Changing boss phases? Shimmering does that. Changing resistances? Shimmering does that. Strange +1 strength and +2 Endurance from nowhere during 2nd phase? Shimmering does that. Stuff what actually written in passive description? It does that. Changing background and music? Shimmering does that too! That is why background and music reverts if you defeat Tomerry.
Shimmering is boss control passive. It decides which cards Tomerry will get, when to change phases, what happens on the field, everything.
For example, Love Town Welcomes All can only appear during first two Scenes of phase 1 pattern (normally scenes 1, 2, 6, 7...) and only if there are at least one additional mob present. Pattern stage will not be incremented if Tomerry starts Scene, when it should use Woulda Square Look Nice?, staggered, in other words, it will never skips preparation stage.

Speaking of changing background and music, how do you think it does that?
Does it have special boss stage manager which overrides background and music with custom ones? Well, Tomerry boss battle does use custom stage manager, and it does define music and background, but it does not do anything special to actually use them, it's mainly there to control stage-wide special effects.
Does Shimmering sends command to start playing music? No, at least, not directly.
Is there a special field on Tomerry definition which can be checked to play what you want? No.
Does it use same mechanic abnormality Suppressions use to display their backround and play their music? Not, that would be silly, it is Reception, not Suppression.
No, it uses standard enemy music mechanics. In LOR, music changes, depending on which team has more Emotion Coins and that team Emotion Level. Shimmering just adds a bonus equal to player team Emotion Coins + 1 every turn, to always be on top.
I think, it deserves Rube Goldberg award of the month. :lobcorp:

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 18, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Congrats dealing with Tomerry. It is pain in the rear end. I went "deal with townspeople first and focus tomerry later" route and it worked well in the end. And instead of Roland's power I went to Hod's tanking everything with Walter key page and Abno pages + Mend Weapon and Pierce for damage on her.

Stasis Preservation boxes exist in the City! Roland mentioned that he bought one from U-Corp.

Press X to Doubt.

Wrath of Torment is almost as powerful, as full-power Scratch That, with obvious downside of having to spend 7 HP. If you have means of healing, it could be useful card.

Faint Memories. It is a great 2-cost even without triggering its bonus, it is almost on the same level, as Retaliate, a great 3-cost, which is still useful at this stage. And after triggering it, it becomes insanely good. Only problem with it, < 25% HP is something you don't want to be in, or, at least, want to postpone that moment for as long as possible. It will also clash with healing, which can raise your HP above threshold.

Now for some nerdy technical stuff
Dernier Armor and The Power of Love passives. They lie to you. Actually, they do nothing at all, they are just here to be in the passives list. You can remove them and nothing changes.
Woulda Square Look Nice? does nothing aside from giving +5 strenght next turn. Ignore other card text, it does not do what it says.

Now, Shimmering. It does everything. Resurrecting falling mobs at the end of Act? Shimmering does that. Changing boss phases? Shimmering does that. Changing resistances? Shimmering does that. Strange +1 strength and +2 Endurance from nowhere during 2nd phase? Shimmering does that. Stuff what actually written in passive description? It does that. Changing background and music? Shimmering does that too! That is why background and music reverts if you defeat Tomerry.
Shimmering is boss control passive. It decides which cards Tomerry will get, when to change phases, what happens on the field, everything.
For example, Love Town Welcomes All can only appear during first two Scenes of phase 1 pattern (normally scenes 1, 2, 6, 7...) and only if there are at least one additional mob present. Pattern stage will not be incremented if Tomerry starts Scene, when it should use Woulda Square Look Nice?, staggered, in other words, it will never skips preparation stage.

Speaking of changing background and music, how do you think it does that?
Does it have special boss stage manager which overrides background and music with custom ones? Well, Tomerry boss battle does use custom stage manager, and it does define music and background, but id does not do anything special to actually use them, it mainly there to control stage-wide special effects.
Does Shimmering sends command to start playing music? No, at least, not directly.
Is there a special field on Tomerry definition which can be checked to play what you want? No.
Does it use same mechanic abnormality Suppressions use to display their backround and play their music? Not, that would be silly, it is Reception, not Suppression.
No, it uses standard enemy music mechanics. In LOR, music changes, depending on which team has more Emotion Coins and that team Emotion Level. Shimmering just adds a bonus equal to player team Emotion Coins + 1 every turn, to always be on top.

oh my gosh this is super interesting. :eyepop:

I don't know anything about how Shimmering works the other times it shows up (ps it shows up again later, it's their go to indicator of BOSS FIGHT WITH AI), so if you wanna do a breakdown for those I'd find it positively fascinating. You know how I feel about projmoon coding. :allears:

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's a fight that's very clearly meant to be the final boss of the tier, between the sheer toughness of Tomerry and their buddies, the 4-man party limit, the lackluster drops, and most importantly the unique music. It's easily the hardest fight yet, where you're expected to have all the options the tier has to offer. To have cleared it at, functionally, the start of the tier is damned impressive.

I'm not as good at Ruina as I am at LobCorp, but that's functionally a statement on how good I am at Lobotomy Corporation.

I'm still pretty drat good at card games. :v:

BraveLittleToaster posted:

I'm very proud of him. He survived despite my best efforts to get him killed—he had 3 Bleed on that last turn that I forgot about entirely, and if he'd actually attacked any of the enemies he'd have instantly died.

I cannot overstate how unlikely he was to have survived like he did.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
I had loads of trouble with Love Town when I played this game and I did it last instead of rushing it like this. I'm really impressed with you managing to do this so early and easily.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh drat, I never noticed that Tommy dies first at 50%. Guess I was paying too much attention to the cards when I played and didn't notice the figures.

I did notice Merry's death quote though. I'm not sure if that clarity at the end is a small mercy or a twist of the knife, that she at least gets to die remembering who she was.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 18, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

My good sir, you appear to have forgotten to place a bunch of siren emotes around this incredible song. For anyone who didn't click this, you really should probably listen to it. Project Moon got Mili to make a whole bunch of songs for this game beyond the opening theme, and they're all really worth listening to.

Also, you are right. I :siren:'d up the first one.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MiiNiPaa posted:

That is some Trombe poo poo right there.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

I don't know anything about how Shimmering works the other times it shows up (ps it shows up again later, it's their go to indicator of BOSS FIGHT WITH AI), so if you wanna do a breakdown for those I'd find it positively fascinating. You know how I feel about projmoon coding. :allears:
This Shimmering does not show again.
I didn't mention it just in case before, but when I searched Shimmering in game files to get passive id, I was surprised by amount of passives with that name. Every boss gets a unique ability with the same name. Had to check Reception itself to get what I wanted.
One thing I didn't talk about : Tomerry is still controlled by basic enemy AI. Shimmering just makes sure that it has exact cards that it needs to play. This is also why Emotion Level 4 does not make it more dangerous. UNLIKE TOWNSPEOPLE (RIP, second attempt, I was not ready to trigger phase 2 early and deal with highly emotional townspeople)

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jan 18, 2022

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Goddamn, that was a hell of an effort from Netzach's team though. I thought you'd have to go through all three floors, but you just opened a can of DPS; Netzach's team could've probably done it solo if they had their 4th party member.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Too bad it's rewards sucks. We can't cosplay as 2+ meters tall 2 headed monstrosity. And their cards belongs to a weird archetype that wants you to be at very low HP. I want to keep my party as healthy as possible.

My strategy against the boss is to hold my ground (Hod is as good as Netzach in battle of attrition) until Tommery play the Square card and then immediately goes all out attack on them. Once they're staggered, I dogpile it until it's close to death.

MiiNiPaa posted:

Now, Shimmering. It does everything.
Draw all their acards? Shimmering does that. Don't be surprised when bosses have nothing in their decks to prevent you from learning their moveset.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
What happened to Steve is a primary example of why I never valued a 0 emotion follow up floor. Being at full resources matters a hell of a lot less when a high-emotion enemy floor used their momentum to absolutely nuke you.

I’m appreciating being able to see fight details in the LP format. When I was playing this myself, I was concentrating too hard on the actual fight to realize that Tommy’s head exploded and Merry subsequently freaking out.

It’s funny to me that if you actually had 4 librarians in Art, all else equal, you would’ve won with just Art. You did an insane amount of damage with your suicide bomber floor.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

My personal Tomerry story involves me just playing normally until Square came up, at which point I panicked so hard I ended up staggering them that turn and killing them the next, never letting Merry use a single phase 2 card.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

SL the Pyro posted:

Goddamn, that was a hell of an effort from Netzach's team though. I thought you'd have to go through all three floors, but you just opened a can of DPS; Netzach's team could've probably done it solo if they had their 4th party member.

We only had two floors, actually! Roland was do-or-die time. :eng101:

Keldulas posted:

What happened to Steve is a primary example of why I never valued a 0 emotion follow up floor. Being at full resources matters a hell of a lot less when a high-emotion enemy floor used their momentum to absolutely nuke you.

I have Opinions about this subject, that might be worth an appendix post. Not like I can put up a keypage story after all. :v:

To make a long story very short: you have to build followup floors very differently than standard floors, because if you build it like a standard floor then your face will get pushed in by enemies at Emotion Level 4+ having a huge action economy advantage on you. I don't blame anyone for just going for one-flooring later fights because of that, tbh.

e: may have to talk about this later, Watson asked me to cover all the dialogue for Love Town because he's really proud of it. We'll be doing that. :buddy:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 18, 2022

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Here lies Tomerry.

Their theme was a banger.

RIP

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
The power of love and friendship was no match for the machinations of a perfect, immortal machine.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

This Shimmering does not show again.
I didn't mention it just in case before, but when I searched Shimmering in game files to get passive id, I was surprised by amount of passives with that name. Every boss gets a unique ability with the same name. Had to check Reception itself to get what I wanted.

IIRC the Chinese translation has different wording for each instance of shimmering.

(Or at least had back in the pre-release version)

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

My personal Tomerry story involves me just playing normally until Square came up, at which point I panicked so hard I ended up staggering them that turn and killing them the next, never letting Merry use a single phase 2 card.

That's basically how this fight turned out for me as well, which was why I was a bit confused why everyone was hyping up the dread so much. Turns out I dodged a bunch of horror on accident and went on my merry way instead! :goleft:

Edit: actually, had a thought - what emotion level do the Love Townspeople respawn at in floor 2? It might be worth eliminating them if they restart at emotion level 0.

dervival fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 18, 2022

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

dervival posted:

Edit: actually, had a thought - what emotion level do the Love Townspeople respawn at in floor 2? It might be worth eliminating them if they restart at emotion level 0.
Same as before. It does not respawn them, it give dead ones health and sets _isDeadReal flag to False just before act ends.

SITB posted:

IIRC the Chinese translation has different wording for each instance of shimmering.

(Or at least had back in the pre-release version)
Just checked, it does not have different wording now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this was a rough fight to stumble into but thanks to some luck I was able to pull through.

ArchiveLurker
Sep 5, 2009
Bravo TeeQueue. I was curious how you would pull this off since half of the townspeople mechanic is based on must clash cards. The speed passive is critical but that still doesn't leave a lot of room for error, especially without reliable card draw. This fight is where I learned that at very high emotion levels you get an extra speed die, which is not a pleasant surprise.

Good on Steve for taking Whip of Love like a champ; other Going for Bullseye that's one of the first really big scary dies that the game throws at you.

Also threw in a vote for drawtech, if TeeQueue is going to ask that desperately for that reception :v:.

ArchiveLurker fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 19, 2022

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Beelined this in my Early Access play, got traumatized by the opening, then got destroyed by the boss. To make things worse, I still really didn't understand how to play, so most of my floors had focus on either slash, pierce, or bludgeon, meaning I had almost no capacity to kill the opening four townsfolk with any degree of speed.

I don't think I had any 4 librarian floors, which deprives you both of an extra person and of an extra emotion level.

After a few fight replays to get the books I needed and then bouncing off this encounter again, I gave up.

I just one-floor blitzed this encounter on my replay, after otherwise doing a 100% completion of this stage of the game. Hod plus three, with two of the discard decks and two librarians kitted out in stuff we've not seen yet, just wrecked the encounter. I only had one librarian with noticeable damage from the first portion of the fight, and while I didn't quite manage the "stagger then kill" ideal against Tomerry, I came close. Won handily despite messing up the Shy Face roulette a few times through inattention. So to those reading along who are thinking they couldn't manage as handily as TeeQueue, be assured you don't have to.

For those who played Early Access, did they change how that Shy Face mechanism works? I seem to recall it cycling at extremely high speeds when I first failed this battle in the EA days.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Narsham posted:

For those who played Early Access, did they change how that Shy Face mechanism works? I seem to recall it cycling at extremely high speeds when I first failed this battle in the EA days.

IIRC it was both faster and more importantly based on the mask of the librarian's face, so it was much harder to see what face it was at the time unless you zoomed in.

Legend of Ruina
Sep 29, 2021

SITB posted:

IIRC it was both faster and more importantly based on the mask of the librarian's face, so it was much harder to see what face it was at the time unless you zoomed in.
This also made it the most :lobcorp: of the Abnormality pages, because it was entirely possible to forget that it was on, and then have your Nugget get a -2 power for the scene because of it. Or conversely to get the +2 anyway.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Man, if I was playing this game, I would feel obligated to make my next two librarians Tommy and Mary. Just handwave it as Angela being able to pull their original info out of the combined book.

They didn't deserve that.

Edit: Maybe wipe the 2000 years of madness as well.

rbakervv fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

rbakervv posted:

Man, if I was playing this game, I would feel obligated to make my next two librarians Tommy and Mary. Just handwave it as Angela being able to pull their original info out of the combined book.

They didn't deserve that.

Edit: Maybe wipe the 2000 years of madness as well.

When you get down to it, Tommy and Merry were probably the ones better off on that train. Along with the rest of the townspeople. At least they spent most of that time happy, and successfully protected each other from violence (until the very end, which was at least over quickly). One really has to feel sorry for all the people attacked and mutilated by the suicidals, and I can only imagine ended up getting mixed in with them, tortured for thousands of years on the assumption they'd like it.