Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

A jargogle posted:

A zayin with the power to instantly kill nuggets

but only if the agent works another abnormality within a short time of working with Fairy Festival.

Watch as this abno battle goes easy.
Too easy.
Then, a month from now, the floor prepares to fight its next abno battle and immediately all keel over dead.

TeeQueue posted:

To be fair... that's all of them.

Hey, One Sin was a total bro and never killed anyone. What's a little white damage between friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

NullBlack posted:

Hey, One Sin was a total bro and never killed anyone. What's a little white damage between friends?

they do in fact kill the twelfth apostle, though. One Sin does in fact do that. If we're counting pure damage output it deals more pale damage than anything else in the game..

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

MetaMeme posted:

they do in fact kill the twelfth apostle, though. One Sin does in fact do that. If we're counting pure damage output it deals more pale damage than anything else in the game..

The agents who become the apostles are already dead; they don't count. Killing the twelfth apostle would basically be euthanasia.
In fact, Day 45 Supplemental of LC LP shows: it's not confession that kills the twelfth apostle; it's suppressing White Night.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 13, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay so I went back to check all of the ZAYINs and...

Fairy Festival, One Sin, Army In Black, Plague Doctor: Already discussed
Opened Can of WellCheers: If you get a Bad result, instakill
Don't Touch Me: Goes completely overkill
We Can Change Anything: If someone goes into the room, they are Dead
You Must Be Happy: Kills you if you use it more than four times

However, Mirror of Adjustment, Old Faith And Promise and You're Bald... cannot kill.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Junpei posted:

You're Bald... cannot kill.

have you seen how many nuggets commit suicide over hair loss? it's not pretty

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Those three are also run killers.

Mirror permanently nukes your stats if used wrong, Faith breaks your gear and updates the save immediately on doing it so not even a rewind can save you, and bald hecks with your carefully coiffed crew mates.

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

TeeQueue posted:

Mirror permanently nukes your stats if used wrong

I think you mean "Mirror gives your agents another chance to hang out with Hod for a bit" :colbert:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
They're probably rated by ease of Enkaphalin extraction, not actual danger

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

CHiRAL posted:

They're probably rated by ease of Enkaphalin extraction, not actual danger
Nope:

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

MetaMeme posted:

I seem to recall hearing that what actually kills the twelfth apostle is White Night -- when it dies, all of its apostles die as well. While I can't find the source at the moment, this happens even if you get the kill with something other than One Sin, so it makes sense to me that that's what's going on mechanically.

Unless you're saying that One Sin killing White Night makes it responsible for the twelfth apostle's death, which I guess is a stance you could take.

Arkanian fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 13, 2022

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

holy poo poo

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Y'know, with Distortions being a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one being in the city that hears and acts on nonsensical gibberish from beyond the ether.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

SL the Pyro posted:

Y'know, with Distortions being a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least one being in the city that hears and acts on nonsensical gibberish from beyond the ether.

So what Risk Level would we categorize Twitch Plays Pokemon at, then?

Duetic
Jan 16, 2009

FANSean posted:

HE(lix)

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

FANSean posted:

Managerial works of Fossil Of A Thousand Voices posted:

When carrying O-09-2014, an Agent shows anomalous behavior, completely disregarding orders from management and acting seemingly at random. The Agent is capable of carrying out any tasks required of an agent, but does so at random, entering and exiting rooms on a whim, including the containment cells of other Abnormalities.

The Agent is incapable of coherent speech, and will frequently walk away from conversations.

The Agent will inevitably drop O-09-2014, at which point it will return to its containment unit. Agents interviewed after dropping the fossil score poorly on mental examinations, reporting a 'sea of voices' that guided their actions, frequently at odds with one another or with nonsensical or contradictory instructions.

A strong enkephalin reaction comes from the agent as long as they are holding O-09-2014, making it a valuable addition to the facility so long as The Agent holding it does not stumble into any containment units they are not equipped to handle.

When the bearer of O-09-2014 came into contact with the bearer of or entered the containment room of "Fossil of A Dome-headed Predator", ███████████ occured, resulting in ████ casualties and a █████ trumpet-class scenario. Under no circumstances should these two items come into contact.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I love this.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

VinnyDonuts posted:

When carrying O-09-2014, an Agent shows anomalous behavior, completely disregarding orders from management and acting seemingly at random. The Agent is capable of carrying out any tasks required of an agent, but does so at random, entering and exiting rooms on a whim, including the containment cells of other Abnormalities.

The Agent is incapable of coherent speech, and will frequently walk away from conversations.

The Agent will inevitably drop O-09-2014, at which point it will return to its containment unit. Agents interviewed after dropping the fossil score poorly on mental examinations, reporting a 'sea of voices' that guided their actions, frequently at odds with one another or with nonsensical or contradictory instructions.

A strong enkephalin reaction comes from the agent as long as they are holding O-09-2014, making it a valuable addition to the facility so long as The Agent holding it does not stumble into any containment units they are not equipped to handle.

When the bearer of O-09-2014 came into contact with the bearer of or entered the containment room of "Fossil of A Dome-headed Predator", ███████████ occured, resulting in ████ casualties and a █████ trumpet-class scenario. Under no circumstances should these two items come into contact.

:eyepop:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

VinnyDonuts posted:

:allears: Thread continues to deliver.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

I cant just not follow this up:

Managerial Notes of Fossil of A Dome-Headed Predator posted:

When carrying O-09-2015 Agents will display a heightened display of workplace efficiency and mental resilience, being able perform tasks usually far beyond the Agents capabilities. Records even indicate an Agent designated Rank 3 stepping into O-03-89's containment unit and successfully exiting with a mental corruption rate below 100%.

However, it appears that Agents with O-09-2015 on their person loses any form of conscience thought or self-preservation instincts, standing completely still until they are given orders to act. Any interaction not directly related to giving tasks will be completely ignored, as though they are naught but an emotionless doll.

When interviewing Agents who donned O-09-2015, many claimed that it felt like their mind was removed, as though it simply didn't exist for the whole duration of their possession of O-09-2015. Prolonged usage of 0-09-2015 also appeared to alter its bearer's personality after the fact, becoming more indecisive and reliant on others input.

O-09-2015 is a powerful tool that allows Agents to work beyond their limits, making for a great training tool or an much needed crutch if dealing with volatile Abnormalities. But anyone using it will need extra levels of supervision at nearly all times. Many agents have been lost for refusing to defend themselves during breaches, or being unwilling to exit containment units of their own accord.

Under no circumstances should a bearer of O-09-2015 ever come into contact with O-09-2014, as the resulting clash will cause a ███████████. There are very few facilities that are able to recover from the fallout.

Winterdragon2004 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 15, 2022

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Winterdragon2004 posted:

I cant just not follow this up:

:five: :five: :five: :five: :five:

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
I, for one, am quite glad we're doing Fairy Festival before Spider Bud, as an arachnophobe.

Also, You're Bald... is a monster. Nothing is worse than losing your precious hair. I'll take horrible death over baldness anyday.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Because I cannot keep my hands off the original LobCorp LP, I noticed this line which we now know is a Bad Idea:

oobitydoo
Oct 1, 2021

Junpei posted:

Because I cannot keep my hands off the original LobCorp LP, I noticed this line which we now know is a Bad Idea:

Oh no, so that means we need to make sure teequeue unlocks Medea before we continue brings Medea along on the train storyline, doesn't it? This is why you don't post right after waking up

oobitydoo fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 17, 2022

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
While defending massive megacorporations in general is probably unwise, I am reasonably sure that Love Town is a complete fluke accident or deliberate sabotage.

Even by the perspective of the absolute most corrupt and amoral mega corporations around, having the trains that serve as your primary form of income suffer a massive malfunction that causes everyone inside to turn into insane flesh monsters would be a massive scandal at best. Especially since a significant number of passengers on W-trains are probably rich people, and their relatives (or possibly the flesh monsters themselves) would be looking into lawsuits, litigation, or more underhanded tactics at getting revenge.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

the Orb of Zot posted:

While defending massive megacorporations in general is probably unwise, I am reasonably sure that Love Town is a complete fluke accident or deliberate sabotage.

Even by the perspective of the absolute most corrupt and amoral mega corporations around, having the trains that serve as your primary form of income suffer a massive malfunction that causes everyone inside to turn into insane flesh monsters would be a massive scandal at best. Especially since a significant number of passengers on W-trains are probably rich people, and their relatives (or possibly the flesh monsters themselves) would be looking into lawsuits, litigation, or more underhanded tactics at getting revenge.

Could be that it's just a low odds occurrence that happens here and then and they can cover up.

Alternately it does work as intended, but part of the process involves a Shrodinger's cat style split where each time the train takes off, there's a split and one train stays in the other dimension and there's thousands or even millions of these helltrains just floating around. Have we confirmed that Olga and everyone else on the train are explicitly missing?

Either way, with how grimdark the setting is, I don't think the head would give half a poo poo about the morality of it as long as it's abiding by the rules.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Actually that brings me to a minor question: How far along was Ruina when TQ was LPing LobCorp? I wonder if he backported some knowledge from this game's lore into the nugget convos.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Deki posted:

Could be that it's just a low odds occurrence that happens here and then and they can cover up.

Alternately it does work as intended, but part of the process involves a Shrodinger's cat style split where each time the train takes off, there's a split and one train stays in the other dimension and there's thousands or even millions of these helltrains just floating around. Have we confirmed that Olga and everyone else on the train are explicitly missing?

Either way, with how grimdark the setting is, I don't think the head would give half a poo poo about the morality of it as long as it's abiding by the rules.

Did Love Train get made before or after the Black Mirror really went into the ethics of torturing a copy of person?

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Junpei posted:

Actually that brings me to a minor question: How far along was Ruina when TQ was LPing LobCorp? I wonder if he backported some knowledge from this game's lore into the nugget convos.

As someone that followed Ruina from the start I can say he absolutely did.
Might be worth reading it again after this one's finished.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Deki posted:

We have no confirmation the train people are missing: What we do have confirmation of is that, from the perspective of the world outside of the Library, these events have been happening very rapidly. The train managed to leave, quite a lot of time passed, and the first group of people got invited. The Reception in question took place in its entirety, plus who knows how much time afterwards (inside the Library) and the next group were ferried along with new invitations almost instantly. The outside observers of the train were Invited within a very brief span after the train's departure as well.

Junpei posted:

I believe all the on-screen nugget quotes were left vanilla (for the most part?), and as far as the in-LP nugget dialogues, the LP was ongoing while Ruina was a fair ways through its Early Access stint so there's definite possibilities.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wonderlab also has a bunch of info on the outside world iirc?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

hobbesmaster posted:

Wonderlab also has a bunch of info on the outside world iirc?

the comics has a little, distortion detective definitely more so.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Junpei posted:

TQ started LobCorp on April 20, 2020, Ruina started Early Access just one month later.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
History—113.83—Fairy Festival

Music: Lobby

Is everyone ready to face that Abnormality?

Olga is Olga is Olga. It's still good, and it will be for at least through the start of the next chapter. There's little reason not to run it.

Bishop is using the same Tamaki build he used the last time we saw him. It's a solid ranged build for messing up our enemies' day.

Ready as I can be… Ultimately we're dealing with something we've never met before. You mentioned it was a ZAYIN, but a low threat level doesn't always mean safe. It could have an advantageous condition.

That's why, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to go for something that can last for the long haul!

Dimi's Jikan has Solidarity and Keeping in Stride attached for some bonus Power and recovery. Her Binding Arms will get more cost-efficient the longer the fight goes on, and with Flash of Sunup and Loosen Up to take care of her hand and Light amounts, she's in a good position to deal with longer fights.

Bishop's overwhelming immediate power, despite its quickly diminishing returns! My unmatchable strength and long-term prospects! And Malkuth's ability to flex effortlessly between whatever's needed for the long term! This is the perfect strategy that the great Dimi thought up by herself! Feel free to marvel at its magnificence, Director!

That doesn't look like marveling to me! Perhaps you didn't understand me. I said-

I don't think she's paying any attention to you, Dimi. It's the same for me. She still hasn't answered that question.

As long as she refuses to accept your existences, it does make your communicating with her difficult… but Dimi, we all thought of our own decks. You shouldn't take credit like that.

I would never! I'm simply saying… I waited to see what you would use and constructed the perfect companion to complete the strategy! Was that unclear too? Ah, I know I can be a bit beyond the normal person's ken…

Well, setting that aside. We're ready, Angela.

More or less. We're lacking information, but…

Oh, it'll be fine! Now, Director! Make sure you give us someone good once we're done! I mean a Gaia or Switch, someone I can really push the work ont-rust to be a proper comrade!

Judging by the pattern, it should be Chinely or Omni for sure this time. One of them would be the actual ideal—we've got a lot of experience working in a tight group like this.

I am pleased to hear that you are ready. You have your duty. Handle it.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle01

Now I remember this thing all of a—dammit, she did it again, boss!

Not now! I don't think this thing qualifies as a ZAYIN anymore!

Yes ma'am!

Fairy Festival posted:

I need something fresh… I’ve been starving for a long while…

Only few fairies protect me now…

Be gentle with my fairies… They’re precious beings…

I want meat… Unspoiled… And clean…

Only soft and tender meat can fill this empty stomach…

In addition to the faeries we've come to expect, Fairy Festival comes complete with a queen. As usual, we start by checking out their passives.

Her Majesty comes with two passives. The first one tells us that if we knock specific allies of her to 1 HP, she'll consume them and gain a number of debuffs until the end of the next turn. This effectively makes her incredibly vulnerable to damage for that turn, as all of her dice results will be a 1 and she'll have 10 stacks of feeble to make her take additional damage.

The second passive, however, is a problem: if she's reduced to 25% HP, she'll gorge herself on all of her allies, and in exchange get 30 Strength every turn for the rest of the fight. This allows her to effectively delete one character per turn. Basically: we don't ever want this to activate.

The Fairy Masses, meanwhile, have HP and Stagger Resistance numbers we'd expect to see back in Canard alongside weaknesses to every form of Damage, and Pierce Stagger Damage to boot. They are built to die and feed into the Queen's playstyle. Their only passive, Care, gives them 10 HP back every turn—given how weak they are, this is basically nothing.

Overall, the strategy here is simple: We don't want to allow Fairy Queen to be below 25% HP until the turn that we defeat her. Meanwhile, we don't want to accidentally defeat more than 1-2 Fairy Masses. Thankfully, only ones marked with Prepared Meat can actually be defeated.

Fairy Queen leads off with Queens Decree, which is a consistent Block page that gives the Prepared Meat status to one of her allies. It's turn 1, so Bishop's +4 Power should tear right through it, leaving her vulnerable for the rest of the turn.

All three Masses lead off with Wingbeat, a somewhat weak offensive page that inflicts a small amount of Bleed. Dimi has a 50% chance of Staggering her Mass with her first hit, and even if she doesn't Jikan's page doesn't mind bleeding a bit.

Malkuth is intercepting the other two Masses herself, since Olga's page takes low damage from Piercing attacks.

Everyone understand the plan?

Of course! The great Dimi shall focus all of her energy on rendering one of these fairy swarms inert!

And while you two're covering for me, I'll force the Queen into a corner.

That way, we'll all take her down before she gets a chance to show us how nasty her hunger can be! Let's do it, team!

Just inhale… exhale…

And squeeze.

Bishop rips a decent chunk out of Fairy Queen's Stagger Resistance.

None of you are getting past me today!

Make way for Dimi!

That one's still moving!

What-?

How dare you..! That's it! No more holding back!

Are you holding up over there, Dimi?

I'm fine, I'm fine! I'm a lot tougher than certain other fighters who can only stand in the back and shoot things!

I'm serving an important tactical niche!

Of hiding!

Now, now. Everyone's got something very important to add to the team's dynamic.

Let's just analyze the situation calmly and react accordingly.

The status effect symbol on the bottom Fairy Mass is the Prepared Meat status. That means we absolutely can't knock this opponent down to 1 HP this turn, or it'll get eaten. All three of the masses are Staggered, however, leaving the Queen wide open.

Additionally, because some of the Fairy Masses have recovered HP with Care, the Abnormality gives us some new lines.

Fairy Festival posted:

I’ll give you the pleasure of receiving my care…

Enjoy the fairies’ care to your heart’s content…

Be thankful that you are under my sacred care…

This turn, the Fairy Queen is using Starved Fluttering, a relatively powerful offensive page that inflicts more Bleed to us with each hit. It's not quite as powerful as the likes of Daring Decision, but it's still worth looking out for.

No matter how I think about it, an all-out attack is the right option here.

I couldn't agree more! I'll hit it as hard as I can!

Then leave it to me. I'll distract it so you guys can hit it hard.

:blastu:

Smacked it right over!

Good job everyone, it's off guard!

So we're doing this, right?

Of course!

Fairy Queen has a third page it can use, which never came up in this battle. Because of that, I've pulled the statistics from a community tool that happens to contain every page in the game. It's a handy reference for checking on exact page effects.

Predation is a small heal for the Fairy Queen paired to a sizeable attack, and another decent Block die to follow up. This turn, let's talk about eating.

When one of the Fairy Masses is reduced to 1 HP, a screen filter appears as the Queen eats it. Here's a shot of it from the wiki, it's very red and there's teeth everywhere. The red filter remains for the remainder of the turn. Naturally, there are also special lines for when it eats one of the Fairy Masses.

Fairy Festival posted:

Scarred and rotten meat isn’t tasty…

Meat has to be kept fresh, I must eat it before it spoils…

My fairies are dwindling in numbers… I need them to serve and protect me…

As well as when they've all been consumed and the +30 Strength passive has been activated.

Fairy Festival posted:

I’ve starved for so long, I can hardly resist myself…

It’s your duty to protect me…

Come to me… It’s time to pay for my care…

I bring this all up now, because…

History team, tear it up!

Right!

It's not getting a next turn.

Bishop rips off ~half of its remaining HP with his opening salvo.

Huu~ Paah~!

We do take some scratch damage from the Masses this turn, but ignoring them for a single turn isn't going to do us any lasting harm.

Muahaha! This thing has no chance against me! Soon, I'll be known as the great Queenslayer Dimi! One more slice and—

Ugh! I've been interrupted by the small fries!

Don't worry, Dimi! I'll cover for you.

Queenslayer Malkuth, huh? It kinda has a nice ring to it.

Wha-hey! That's my title!

But I beat the Queen.

After I weakened it!

I demand a contest for it! When I win, I'll be the Queenslayer Dimi, just as I was supposed to be the whole time!

Whoever takes out the most masses wins?

You're on!

I'll just watch from back here, then.

Once the Queen is done, we're in mopup mode. The Masses themselves aren't a threat to our librarians by themselves.

That's one!

Wha-that was my target! That's fine, I'll simply defeat the other two and—

Two down! I'm the true Queenslayer after all.

So fast..! Did I pick the wrong body? No… no that can't be right. I'll get the next one before she can…

And that's all of them!

I lost… again?!

Don't worry about it so much. We won, and that's what counts.

I… just wasn't feeling well! Next time, I'll definitely show you up!

Then I'll look forward to facing you at full strength!

As long as we don't allow the Queen to hit her +30 Strength trigger, Fairy Festival's a fairly easy fight. Should it ever trigger, our options are to Stagger/finish her within a couple of turns, or else lose—she will Stagger or outright defeat one librarian a turn.

VIDEO
Music: MalkuthStory

Cheerful as always, Malkuth. What are you up to?

Oh, hi Roland! I was just having a training session with the assistant librarians.

Seems lively. Guess you’re good friends with each other?

They were my employees back in Lobotomy Corp!

Back then, I could only assist them from the backseat, rather than on the field.

It’s nice to be able to work alongside them this time around!

Former coworkers from Lobotomy Corp, huh… Must be refreshing.

It sure is! I used to push them too hard because of my faulty mindset.

But it’ll be different this time. We’ll start with the things we can do, one at a time.

I like this quote. It feels like a good way to summarize the essence of history. It’s similar to something I would hear before too.

You ain’t wrong. But there aren’t too many people who can actually learn from history these days. The lessons seem obvious, but putting them into action is the hard part.

I’ve been thinking about the past a lot. I was a person called Elijah.

That your first life?

Yep. Born in the Nest as an ordinary citizen, went to an ordinary school. I wasn’t anyone special. I wasn’t richer than most people, and I didn’t really have special talent in any field. The people in the Nest where Elijah lived… They all seemed to have lost focus in life, spacing out and staring into empty places. Everyone only saw black and white things.

Isn’t the Nest full of shiny and bright arrays of colors? It was almost an eyesore sometimes.

That’s true, but those other colors weren’t necessary for reading. There’s already too many black and white things for the eyes to take, it’s no use seeing other, useless colors…

Hmm, I guess Elijah could see those colors, then?

Elijah wanted to let others know. About how diverse and brilliant colors are… About how colors are ever-changing and free-form, like how the mix of two colors can bring out a brand new color.

That’s what Elijah thought, I think!

You sound like you’re talking about someone else, third-person.

To be honest, I don’t really feel like Elijah and I are one and the same. Maybe too much time has passed since then. The other librarians probably feel the same. My current life feels more like an extension of that life as Malkuth from Lobotomy Corp, rather. My time as Elijah feels kinda distant and unfamiliar, even though it was my first life… It’s like, the memories of someone from a distant past are now a part of me, if you know what I mean? It’s nostalgic in a way, and a bit sad and stuff!

I don’t know a whole lot about that reincarnation jazz, but I guess that’s a good thing?

Yeah! It doesn’t feel so bad. It feels good to finally have the time to reflect on myself. Looking back at the lives I lived, and the history I made. I think we didn’t spend enough time looking back. We were all too busy heading forward.

No one has the time to look back. Even now, I’m running straight ahead. But still, looking back at the past can supposedly give the solution for troubles of the present or worries of the future.

I think that’s correct. Although I’m not sure I can find the solution for the problems we’re facing right now… I think I’m getting close to finding the answer for what Angela said to me before.

About who you were and how you wanted to live?

Mhm. I didn’t really have what I could call a dream at that time… But things are different now. If I were to dream of what I’d do after this… I think I would’ve wanted to be an architect, maybe! Y’know, the person who designs buildings and oversees the process of construction until it’s finished.

Huh, I guess great empires weren’t built in a day.

Of course it wasn’t. You have to start with designing the most beautiful exterior that can be created within the functional limitations.

That sounds complicated…

Did you know, Roland? There’s this phrase, “We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us.” It may be too late to change the people who’ve lived so far, but what influence will the structures of the City have on future residents as they grow up…

If I were to make a building with colors that’ll be remembered by everyone…

…Those are the thoughts I had!

I’m sure you’ll do a great job if you get the chance, Malkuth. Sounds like the job would fit you well, too.

Haha, thanks.

Maybe you should reflect on your past like I did, Roland! It’ll be a helpful exercise.

Anyway, hope you can realize the dream of becoming an architect!

Music: Lobby

As usual, we get our level up and our new Abnormality pages.

Gluttony is the real winner here, giving us a low damage boost and a very nice amount of sustain with a very easy to trigger condition. The Faeries' Care is also good, so long as we can reliably avoid being hit three times—it's workable. While I don't really like Predation all that much, the healing can serve as a balance if one of our librarians has taken an unusually heavy beating, and the 3 Haste+Strength all but ensure that on the next turn the librarian will both pick whatever clashes it wants, and also win them handily. I prefer pages that work for multiple turns, but a 3 Strength boost can be a powerful way to regain control of a battle.

—and while we're on the subject, I'd appreciate it if you'd upgrade our foodstuffs. While it's true that we don't need to eat, that doesn't mean that I don't want to eat!

What have you two been up to while I was chatting with Roland?

I asked politely again about the memories that we've been receiving out of nowhere. Angela didn't pay any attention, again, so Dimi's listing off some of her own issues. While we're here.

…Ah.

…That bad?

I just think that I should probably just ask her directly.

There will be time for that later, Malkuth. I've finished reconstituting your librarian.

Already? Doesn't it normally take longer?

This one turned out to be deceptively simple.

Hey everyone! Uh… wait. Malkuth? This isn't the Training department anymore, is it? That would explain the books…

Is she doing this on purpose?

Angela. I appreciate the new help, but we were hoping Chinely or Omni would—

The librarians are resting within the books of these Abnormalities. Which one is resting where is up to them.

So… there's no way to get the old team back?

You are the reliable Patron Librarian of the Floor of History. I was under the impression that you could succeed with anyone.

Er… yes, but…

Then I will leave you to your introductions.

SNAP

Huuuf… Paaaa~

Right! You're… ImIdiot, right?

The very same! I heard we're a library now, right?

More or less.

You'll be in charge of waiting on me and doing everything I ask.

Can do, boss!

No, ignore her, she's—

Too late we're off for training byeee~

Oh! I'm… being pulled along! Okay!

Malkuth…

Yeah, Bishop?

We're… still going to be able to receive guests, right?

……Probably.

Let's just do the best we can! We'll have another training exercise, right after a nice break.

Roger that. I'll track down a book with something interesting to try and meet you back at the desks.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Unsurprisingly, not a single employee volunteered to retrieve the corpse of their cocooned colleague."

It's probably held in place by a Singularity. Most things in the City are like that.

You guys must really like Phillip, huh?

The Red Notes continue to wait for their time to play.

Videos

Malkuth 4

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 19, 2022

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The Fairies Care is... not good. It promises up to 45% heal to one character with pretty significant chance of downside. Compare it with A Token of Friendship 90% (for 3 characters) to 150% (for 5) with no downsides. Yes, it is a second level card, but level 2 cards are usually less than 2 times as powerful, as 1st level ones.
In addition, it is a 1st level card. You are unlikely to lose almost half of your HP in first few scenes, so a lot of promised healing is going to waste.

Predation is too situational for my taste. You need someone with low HP, not staggered, other characters doing good and card being avaliable at that exact time for it to work. And its effect is too weak to just take it without specific circumstances.

Gluttony is MVP here. Increased damage and good sustain. It is the best choice of currently existing 3 level II cards. Obviously, you want cards with a lot of attack dice.

TeeQueue posted:

In addition to the faeries we've come to expect.
I expected cute little fairies, not conjoioned... things... masses... In LC even employees without perception filter described them as cute. THOSE ARE NOT CUTE!

FF is pretty easy if you just follow intedned path: kill fairy, focus queen next turn, repeat. You need about 7 hits per fragility scene, without taking into account attack damage itself, which is trivial to do. It is very hard to die, unless you trigger second phase early.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 18, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, Chinely and Omni aren't going to be in History.

Honestly, given their proclivities and favored EGOs, I'd expect them to be hanging out... I dunno, whatever floor we'd fight Knight of Despair, King of Greed and Queen of Hatred on? That's my best guess, anyway.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

WILDLY concerning way to put it Roland, that's some real "we don't talk about the old country" vibes. I don't doubt that somebody who got busted down from (whatever his old status was) all the way to a bottom-Grade Fixer has a lot of stories and a very good reason to be meloncholy, but like... Watch the video and listen to the line read here. That's an uncomfortably pensive and quiet take for somebody who immediately changes the subject afterwards.

As for the Abnormality fight itself, this is a pretty neat one: I always like the idea of a boss with a significant vulnerability window where, if you don't fully capitalize and score the kill, they get REAL MAD ABOUT IT. This feels like a solid execution on that form.

Effects-wise I'm with TQ: Gluttony's the standout by a mile and the others could find use in very specific niches but are otherwise outclassed or just misplaced. A Heal-over-Time on Level 1, with a penalty trigger? Weird call.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It unfortunately follows the trend where I’m not fond of History’s selection, there’s a lot of weird choices here.

Edit: To comment on the fight itself, it’s a really nice horror escalation for anyone who’s seen the Fairy Festival in the original LobCorp. It’s funny how TQ once again completely ignored and bypassed the actual mechanics of the fight though.

Feels like the fights of these levels don’t account very much for everyone having a speed dice at this point

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 18, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Ariamaki posted:

I believe all the on-screen nugget quotes were left vanilla (for the most part?), and as far as the in-LP nugget dialogues, the LP was ongoing while Ruina was a fair ways through its Early Access stint so there's definite possibilities.

At some point (which I mention in-thread) I installed an expanded dialogue option. That's where "gently caress clerks" and Tenebrais being terrified of Laetitia came from.

but a lot of it is still standard, including the W-corp line, above.

Keldulas posted:

Feels like the fights of these levels don’t account very much for everyone having a speed dice at this point

They were created before Passive Attribution, and before the Urban Plague General Receptions, and this really shows in how much easier they are than I remember them being.

Fairy Festival was much harder to clown when you had to use Walter, Olga, Gyeong-Mi, or Mars with no alterations if you wanted 2 Speed Dice.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Anyway, at the very least, this confirms that the Abno groups are Scorched Girl/Happy Teddy Bear/Fairy Festival and Today's Shy Look/Red Shoes/Spider Bud.

Ariamaki posted:

WILDLY concerning way to put it Roland, that's some real "we don't talk about the old country" vibes. I don't doubt that somebody who got busted down from (whatever his old status was) all the way to a bottom-Grade Fixer has a lot of stories and a very good reason to be meloncholy, but like... Watch the video and listen to the line read here. That's an uncomfortably pensive and quiet take for somebody who immediately changes the subject afterwards.

Yeah, I've had a gut feeling that Roland is hiding something under his cheerful, playful demeanor, and this seems like proof that there's... something dark under it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

TeeQueue posted:

They were created before Passive Attribution, and before the Urban Plague General Receptions, and this really shows in how much easier they are than I remember them being.

Fairy Festival was much harder to clown when you had to use Walter, Olga, Gyeong-Mi, or Mars with no alterations if you wanted 2 Speed Dice.

It’s interesting to see the layers of development as time goes on, it’s like peeling an onion.

The game is definitely stronger in its current iteration, but yeah I can definitely see where you’re much stronger than was originally intended with passive attribution. The jankiness sort of adds to the charm at least, though it does make the early fights kind of a steamroll when you use all the tools available. It’s certainly better than the first general receptions at least.