Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
I would have a hard time adjusting to the elegant fencing Seven Association employed to hotline miami style brutal violence, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Does the Library actually have any expenses? Everything's made out of Light, and I'm pretty sure none of the librarians are getting paid.

Are you kidding? The electrical bills are through the roof, especially now that abno juice is off the market!

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

CHiRAL posted:

Are you kidding? The electrical bills are through the roof, especially now that abno juice is off the market!

Nah, Angela's got like 30 generators in General Works that Roland keeps needing to dump Abnormality books into.

"Uh, Angela... who or what is 'Melting Love'?"
"We don't talk about that one. Just throw it in the incinerator and move on."

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Over time all of the Librarians are able to tell what Roland is burning based on subtle cues from the lights.

“Everything smells like Bacon? Todays Shy Look.”

“Roland is running around in circles with his hair on fire being chased? Firebird.”

“The lights just sent out and the temperature dropped ten degrees while Roland is sliding by in a giant ice cube? The Snow Queen.”

“A third of the lights just went green and a third went red? Rudola of the Sleigh.”

“The lights flicker every half a minute and go out for an hour unless you flick the switch within 2 1/2 minutes? Express Train to Hell.”

“The lights are only on when someone is not in the room/no one is looking into the room? The Burrowing Heaven. The inverse is Eyeball-door lock thingy that Chaosbrain can’t spell the real name of.”

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 14, 2022

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
*A crash noise is heard and sounds of Roland Screaming. Steve sees Zaida just sitting in a Lounge Chair watching, bucket of popcorn at the ready. *

Ummm Zadia? What is he screaming about now?

The fool burned the Magical Girl book, and now he's paying the price. I ain't helping, I'm on my break.

Magical Girl? Which one?

Yes.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Chaosbrain posted:

Over time all of the Librarians are able to tell what Roland is burning based on subtle cues from the lights.
Lights turns off for a random floor? Big Bird.

Lights randomly explode? Matchstick Girl.

Every switch and button shocks you when you press it? Punishing Bird.

Lights are relaxing and seem to heal you, but kills everyone in the room and releas random abnormalities? That was Flesh Idol, we don't use it anymore.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

everyone simultaneously goes insane and starts howling at the bucket moon: Big Red Button

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

silentsnack posted:

everyone simultaneously goes insane and starts howling at the bucket moon: Big Red Button

why do we even have that button?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Great now I'm going to hear all of Roland's lines as Kronk, and Angela's as Yzma.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Roland seems like he could use a vacation. Someone should point him at the Wellcheers machine and its free* sailing trips.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does Happy Memories make cards like Tailoring and Ink Over more worthwhile since it can bring their cost down?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 26: Prologue

VIDEO

"A Dream Shattered," Yun Dong-ju.

Music: StoryJinji

It caught me off guard. Who could’ve expected the Library of all places to be a key factor of the White Nights and Dark Days.

And the Library’s location has finally been clearly determined. It’s as if the Library is revealing more of itself the more dangerous it is considered.

The building shimmering like a mirage, in the midst of a fog shrouding the Nest of L Corp. Those who tried to approach it got lost in the mist. We should prepare ourselves soon enough. Since that mirage is slowly becoming a reality as the fog is clearing up.

That means…

Yes. We received an official document. As of today, The Library is designated as an Urban Nightmare by Hana Association HQ.

Music: Lobby

To what?

The freedom you’ve been yearning for, I mean.

I don’t know. The one book is steadily on its way to completion, though.

Is that book really gonna resolve everything magically for you?

The Library quite literally holds infinite possibilities. Every possible combination of letters is written inside the books. But mere fragments of those possibilities are worthless on their own. With the help of the invitation, I can navigate the countless possibilities and reach the ones I need for the one perfect book. As I weave the books and the Light following the invitation’s lead, I will complete the one absolute book. I will create the book that contains all the answers I seek.

That… doesn’t sound impossible, theoretically…

I’m not just hanging onto theoretical possibilities. I could learn a lot from seeing the various sides of the City in the process of creating the one book. This has its own meaning… Then I realize once again, that without the book there’s no way to find the answer from this City.

What do you mean, you can’t find the answer from the City?

I learned one thing from reading all the books of the inhabitants of this City thus far. No one is truly free in the City. Every person is chained to something.

Everyone is heading somewhere, but no one knows where, and no one can decide where to go. They’re all drifting along with the flow.

I thought money could get you anything in the City, including freedom and whatever.

They could be free, but they aren’t. They actually seem to shun freedom. They want to belong to something that isn’t themselves. They like to define themselves with the organization they belong to, or valuations made by others. Their essence is so fragile, they can’t specify their own identity without encasing themselves in such a shell.

Yes, this must be what the “disease of the mind” was all about… I was imprisoned underground and exploited for the freedom of the people of the City, after all. Taking away my freedom so that others can be free… To spread his enlightenment to the rest of the City…

Talking about your previous occupation, huh.

What about my freedom… Who will hold the responsibility for creating me and then carelessly leaving me to suffer? I sometimes want to just forget everything… the Library, the one book, all of it…

Do you know how it feels to be denied since the very moment you were born? I do. I’m painfully aware. Because that’s how my creator treated me. I would’ve loved for him to at least tell me what I did wrong. All I could see of him was a pair of cold eyes without a single speck of expectation, and a quiet remark. A tiny whisper ordinary humans couldn’t have heard…

“It’s only a machine…”

I can still remember that moment so vividly as if it happened seconds ago. I curse my memory. I curse this body that hears words I don’t want to listen to. I curse this head that reminds me of things I don’t want to remember.

He sounds like a nasty person.

I wasn’t exactly born with the capability to feel emotions. It slowly awakened inside me over monotonous repeats. No, perhaps the truth is that he designed me so my emotions would awaken over time. Perhaps because the repetitive tasks… needed emotions.

He needed something that could form an independent response to slight variations in the ever-repeating script, all the while enduring eons of time… Something he could keep in control so that it wouldn’t try to deviate from the script…

It wasn’t a humanlike machine that he needed. He needed a human with the properties of a machine. You’ll never know how many desperate struggles I made to stomach the cycle.

Those being…?

Closing my eyes. All I could do in the endless stream of moments I didn’t want to see but had to witness was shut my eyes. That was the least and the most I could do to resist it.

Real nasty. …But hey, that role you were forced to play did wrap up somehow. You can think about what to do next now, right?

Try to be more attentive before you jabber nonsense. I can never forget. Keeping my eyes closed couldn’t protect me anymore… Even a moron would’ve been able to envision exactly what would happen and what kind of face everyone would make after so much time. Every second of that was inscribed into my memory, slowly and painfully. I can’t forget anything once I’ve seen it. I still remember everything so vividly.

That’s why I can’t forgive that man, he who left without tying up any loose ends with me. The man who created me on a whim and then let my life be crushed under the weight of time…

…Nah, who am I to tell you to leave the past behind or anything.

I’m just suggesting you think about your next move. It can provide a little bit of support for you at least, kinda like making a fence around yourself. It’s gonna serve as a floor to fall back on, in your neverending plot of vengeance.

I didn’t think you’d care that much for me.

It’s ultimately for myself, really.

My mechanical exterior is turning to flesh, and blood has started to course through it. I still have a long way to go to reach the one book, though…

Could you actually be changing into a human?

That seems to be the case, although it’s not quite perfect yet. Perhaps I could become a genuine human at the end of this journey. When I do, I could forget so many things so easily. Free from the deluge of memories drowning me… If I can let all the unwanted memories slide away, then I may think about what to do next like you said.

With every chapter that passes, our Passive Transfer limit increases by 2. This will let us make more complicated or expensive setups as we move on.

Setting that aside, now that the library has become more threatening it seems we have grown in power as well.

That's good to hear. The guests have been getting pretty rough lately… the more edges we can have over them the better.

Indeed. Roland…

Yes ma'am?

Gather the others immediately. I have an announcement.

Will do.

And… that's… everyone!

Is he alright?

He was running quite a lot before…

It's not my fault, there's just… so many stairs between each floor. I'll be fine. Really.

I'll continue, then. Some of you have been involved with a project of mine: I wanted to see if you could use the observational tools I'd created to aid each other. The tests have concluded with a positive result. With the growth of the library and our newly raised threat level, I'm making it official policy from here forward.

A sound decision. I have no objections.

Yeah, seems workable.

If there are no objections, then it is done.

That's fine… but, hey, Angela? I have a question.

Yes?

These tools are very useful, but… why do you have them? You're so hands-off that it doesn't make sense for you to have created something so useful to aid us.

…They exist due to a miscalculation.

A miscalculation?

Initially, I had planned to work in tandem only with the lot of you. I thought that, and the Library's power, would be enough to handle any receptions.

It was a naive dream, and I was forced to correct it before any of you awoke.

Aha. So when you said you weren't sure it was for the best back then…

Regardless, the situation has developed such that I cannot help both you and those employees you prattle with. This is the best arrangement to ensure our guests are properly turned into the books we need to continue.

But why can't you do it?

Because I refuse to acknowledge the existence of those former employees.

Well, yes, we know that. But... why? Surely you can actually see—

I would think that much would be obvious, Hod.

Because that man even thought of them at the end… while I remained nothing but a machine to be exploited, consigned to oblivion when my task was complete.

How, precisely, should I act towards the minions of that same man? They were not involved in our deal. I will not acknowledge them.

But the work they've done for you…

I'm granting them the same life that I've given to you all. That is all they deserve.

Setting that aside, we have a great deal of options available to us once more. Tiphereth is prepared to expand, and there are a number of new guests to prepare for as well.

So… we're all supposed to get ready to pull double duty, huh?

It sounds like it. I'll make sure the Floor of History is up to the task!

…If that's all, I'll be returning to my floor. It's my turn in word chain.

Very well. You're dismissed.

Angela…

Just let it rest for now, Hod. She's got her circumstances to consider, as well.

That's true. Another time, then.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"In the name of Love and Justice~ Here comes Magical Girl!"

Train 3: Return of the Son of Train

Knowing you all, it's going to be one of the first two.

I'd bet all my chips on it in a heartbeat.

Videos

Urban Nightmare
Steve Tries Harder (With 8 passive points, can Steve do better than last time? Yes. But not much.)

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 25, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

I'd bet all my chips on it in a heartbeat.
I feel like it'd be hilarious if this one won.

TeeQueue posted:

This translates to T H E NOON O F IN D I GO in A1Z26 cipher.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Of course, she'd be our first WAW. They wouldn't make it easy on us.

But, still this soft confirms Tiphereth as having the Magical Girls on her floor.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

It's obvious which one's gonna win anyway even with the meme train being dangled like a carrot on our head.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 15, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

GilliamYaeger posted:

This translates to T H E NOON O F IN D I GO in A1Z26 cipher.

I was 90% sure that nobody would actually try translating that, and yet I went ahead and did it anyways because reasons. :tipshat:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

The more Light we collect, the more real Library appears.

Angela was this close, but not quite there in accepting that her invitaions are usually not accepted on "free will" alone.
What alarming is that Angela seems to be driven mainly by irrational spite. She desperately wants to be human, but wants to completely plan which would make people lives better?

2 more points for Passive Attribution is Great! However, you are still limited to 4 books, so you cannot just go and get every cheap X-related ability.

Son of a Train is obviously far right node, The Noon of Indigo are Sweepers, and I would place them in the 2nd left, since they are not related to either Finger (which is left node seems to be about), nor Phillip, who is running strainht up 2nd righ path. Can !!! node be Phillip?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

A challenger posted:

Knowing you all, it's going to be one of the first two.

:argh: You challenged me and I accepted by voting for this :argh:

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MiiNiPaa posted:

The more Light we collect, the more real Library appears.

Angela was this close, but not quite there in accepting that her invitaions are usually not accepted on "free will" alone.
What alarming is that Angela seems to be driven mainly by irrational spite. She desperately wants to be human, but wants to completely plan which would make people lives better?

2 more points for Passive Attribution is Great! However, you are still limited to 4 books, so you cannot just go and get every cheap X-related ability.

Son of a Train is obviously far right node, The Noon of Indigo are Sweepers, and I would place them in the 2nd left, since they are not related to either Finger (which is left node seems to be about), nor Phillip, who is running strainht up 2nd righ path. Can !!! node be Phillip?
The Kurokumo's supercloth was made from Sweepers killed by the Carnival, as ordered by the Index. So that's a direct connection to both the Thumb (Kurokumo's bosses) and the Index.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

MiiNiPaa posted:

Also, the passive's cap are 9 passives in 1 keypage. You'll run out of cost long before maxing out the passives though.

I think Philip is in 4! Since the meme train and him are the highlight of the story. So it's one of the two. Maybe.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Also, the passive's cap are 9 passives in 1 keypage. You'll run out of cost long before maxing out the passives though.

I would like to slap another 1-cost passive, but I hit both books and passives limit before hitting cost limit.

MiiNiPaa fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 15, 2022

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
I can’t recall if Angela always keeping her eyes closed was addressed in L-Corp. If not then that is an interesting thing to think about, along with the meaning behind the times she DID open her eyes during it.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Chaosbrain posted:

I can’t recall if Angela always keeping her eyes closed was addressed in L-Corp. If not then that is an interesting thing to think about, along with the meaning behind the times she DID open her eyes during it.
Generally, I always took it as her sleepwalking through the rote stuff she'd done millions of times before, with her only paying attention for new poo poo.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Chaosbrain posted:

IIRC, the only times she opened her eyes in L-Corp was when she was going off-script.

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

Chaosbrain posted:

It was never explicitly talked about in Lobotomy Corporation as far as I can remember. I took the moments where Angela did open her eyes to be moments where she was letting her "real" self (and not the script) show through.

As for the vote...

TeeQueue posted:

Suffer as all of us Early Access players have suffered. :v:

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

I wonder if the library will eventually be real enough that you can just walk in, without having to use an invitation.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Loxo321 posted:

Suffer as all of us Early Access players have suffered. :v:

You early access players had full powered Bleed.

I ain’t got poo poo.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

You have the knowledge of what we're getting you into. :colbert:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

TeeQueue posted:

You early access players had full powered Bleed.

I ain’t got poo poo.

It's definitely possible. I did it, and so can you.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
I will say since the option I wanted to pick has been hidden away behind one of the "You're not going to pick this one, because Abno and Train are here"... I will wait patiently for this to change.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Magical girl having the same number of !s as... anything else is surprising to me. It was in its own totally unique tier for me.

I didn't vote for it but that doesn't matter. Good luck!

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
So far, the results are...Magical Girl in the lead. 'It's going to be one of the first two' next. Then Sweepers. And then train.

Isn't it sad, Train?

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 15, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Pshah, Train is soooooi last tier

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

t3isukone posted:

So far, the results are...Magical Girl in the lead. 'It's going to be one of the first two' next. Then Sweepers. And then train.

Isn't it sad, Train?

It's because the people who would have normally voted Train are instead voting to see TeeQueue suffer. :v:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hi Queenie. Nice to see you again. :getin:

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I think the "magical girl" was in my Youtube recommends with the title "Difficulty wall". I wonder what that's all about.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I’m honestly not certain what concealing the line does at this point. Phillip is a continuing line that some people may be interested in, so it’s a bit weird to me to reveal Train but not the line Phillip has been on, since that’s information someone playing would have.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
The worst part about the QoH fight is that since she's an abnormality, she doesn't drop any books and so you can't make your librarians wear her costume without mods.

Arp1033
Oct 13, 2012
And this is where I am not good enough to continue! No matter how hard I try I cannot win any more fights, even with TeeQue showing me where I am blowing it so I have resigned myself to enjoying LoR through this LP, I am admittedly very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Yeah, this isn't the least bit surprising. I'm sure some people expected this as soon as Omni popped up.

The real question is why y'all are voting for Queen out of the options below:
  • Because Tiphereth's floor needs a boost.
  • Because we need to see how nugget revivals work in a floor that preloads with nuggets.
  • QUEEN!!!
  • All of the above!
  • None of the above (please specify).
Personally I think it would be funny to leave Tiphereth underpowered as long as possible, but I want to see if the Library either gives us Chinley or a spiteful fart. TeeQueue will probably spite me by having it be neither.

SL the Pyro fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 15, 2022