Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Very excited for Star of the City! Maybe my nugget will show up soon even!

Les gooooo :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
I uh, used all my post it notes making this.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

Very excited for Star of the City! Maybe my nugget will show up soon even!

Les gooooo :woop:

This right here is why I found Binah’s and Hokma’s floors problematic. We have floors that can fully realize at this point and Roland hasn’t even met them yet.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

MetaMeme posted:

You just had to do it to us, huh.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
You really don't want to lose the reception after Crying Children because the bastard is asking for his book.

I also don't get his Keypage on my first try. And I'm too lazy to do the fight all over again until right before the final fight.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ah, the latest installment of my favorite saga

Delectable :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

habituallyred posted:

Stop the Phillip! Stop the Phillip!

Stop the Phillip...

Yes I know its actually called Evil Kit and Dimi in their flying machines, thank you very much.

I almost choked on my coffee reading this from laughing, an excellent post.

TheDoomkitten
Jun 11, 2022

Angela did nothing wrong.

MetaMeme posted:

this is brilliant, but also, mcnuggies philip is going to haunt my dreams

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

MiiNiPaa posted:

Angela! You said that you made the Library! And Invitations! Just admit: you didn't do poo poo, you just very good at appropriating other peoples accomplishments and can pretend that everything goes as planned even when it doesn't.
It's funny, the first explanation Angela gives about the invitation is that she will carefully determine who to invite, and then the very first invitation she admits that the invitation does what it wants and she's borrowing it's power.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
For gently caress's sake, he's seriously running again? This is, what, the third time? Fourth time? I legit lost count.

That aside, seems like we're in the big leagues now. Colors, Corp special forces, Claws, Arbiters, and who knows what else about to come our way. And we should finally unlock the last two floors.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
There's going to be nothing left of Philip by the time we see them again, that book of ours probably contains most of 'im and I'm not sure what that one left over crying child could even do at this point.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

For gently caress's sake, he's seriously running again? This is, what, the third time? Fourth time? I legit lost count.
First time with Dawn Office.
Second time with Wedge Office.
Third time after he found his balls and returned right after, teleported away by Oskar device (does it count as running?)
Fourth time now.
(Should scene at the Circus count as running away from his problems?)

3-5 times in total, depending on your definition of "running"

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Tombot posted:

There's going to be nothing left of Philip by the time we see them again, that book of ours probably contains most of 'im and I'm not sure what that one left over crying child could even do at this point.
He could join Argalia's Ensemble. There's a few people who have enough narrative weight to be able to kill off Philip for us, but honestly, why do that when we have someone totally willing to pick up a Distortion, gently caress with the library so we can kill Philip ourself, and is connected to him via two of his now minions giving him the push he needed to distort?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

I'd say there's no real reason to panic, but then I remember who's in charge of Disciplinary.

finally found a satisfactory way to draw Dimi's bangs.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
RIP Dimi; gutted like a fish by Malkuth like an employee handing in their resignation. Just like old times.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

TeeQueue posted:

Next time, on Library of Ruina: We finally get Phillip's book.

I knew there was going to be a catch.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

NullBlack posted:

I'd say there's no real reason to panic, but then I remember who's in charge of Disciplinary.

Dimi really makes the Apple outfit work, I love it. :allears:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The most important part of Philip's page is that it looks cool as hell.

TealCone
Aug 8, 2022

NullBlack posted:

Now I want Bishop patting Sorched Girl on the head, letting her know it's okay that he missed on the second try

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 27: The Crying Children

Unstable Page of the Crying Children posted:

“Sorry. I get how you feel, but I’ll need more time to think about this.”

“…”

“…Um, are you feeling down?”

"N-no, I'm fine... I get it. This was rather sudden, and you'll need some time to collect your thoughts."

“Thanks for understanding. You know, you’re a very caring person. I guess gramps picked the right rookie to hire.”

“Is that so… Thank you.”

I couldn’t say anything beyond that. I tried to think positively about it, convincing myself that I wouldn’t want to see seonbae feel troubled because of me in the future. Clinging on to it further would only make me seem pathetic… Although seonbae didn’t decline my confession outright, it felt safer to think of it as a refusal so I wouldn’t get my head in the clouds and make another attempt at it. I shouldn’t have held any expectations in the first place. I thought I’d feel like a load had been taken off my chest after I’d confessed my pent-up feelings to her, but I couldn’t even bring myself to look seonbae in the eyes. I didn’t see it. I found myself looking for excuses. It’s not because I’m a coward… It’s not because I was afraid that I might be faced with darkness I can’t possibly handle if I lift my head, no. I just looked at the shade so I could see a brighter light, that’s all. That thought made me feel a bit easier. I don’t know what expression seonbae wore at that time. Was she grinning at my nonsense, or was she upset? All I can think is that she was probably giving me a look of disgust.

“You gave a fine speech, but I must wonder if you’re truly upset for the sake of Salvador and your other late colleagues.”

“…I’ll go prepare myself.”

I closed the door on my way out. Was it because I didn’t want to hear any more of it? Did I lack the energy to refute him? I had no time to reflect on the reason I left my seat. The one thing I couldn’t stand was him putting the blame on me for leaving my master and seonbae behind in that place they call the Library when I escaped so that I could bring others to save them. A wise person once said that you must close your ears when someone utters useless words or speaks with harmful intention. Is the ‘uselessness’ of a talk determined solely by one’s own standards? Maybe Oscar was right. But are his words useless and wrong because they distressed me? Maybe I just didn’t want to accept it. Consoling myself that I need some time to focus only on the grief of losing my master and seonbae… I covered my ears.

“You’re pausing it at just the right moment like it’s a rerun you’ve watched over and over… There’s got to be a reason.”

“Shut up, shut the hell up…!”

Sometimes, the human brain has difficulty telling reality from illusion. Watching a horror film incites fear even though you know it’s fiction; however, it’s not always easy to discern the truth. They’re standing right before my eyes reproaching me, but I can’t dismiss them as mere illusions. Even though they’re… dead. Gone. There was no way they could be real. It doesn’t make sense that I know what they’re about to say otherwise. It couldn’t be something they told me beforehand. When seonbae was about to speak, I shut her up, as though I knew what was going to unfold. What could I gain from uttering what will harm me. Self-justification? Those words would’ve wounded me for sure, but they were also words that would protect me. Yet again, I’m running away from truth. Vilifying others. It made me feel a bit better. Pameli was right; all I had to do was make up reasons that are convenient to me. It’s not my fault at all. They’re the bad ones… It’s derisive how shallow my admiration for my master and seonbae was, changing my attitude toward them so easily out of selfish self-preservation.

Nothing is more beautiful than knowing the truth, and therefore, nothing must be more shameful than admitting that what one believed in was a lie. I could’ve sworn I acknowledged my vice and embraced it. Although the process was a little unstable, I still felt ashamed for the truthless deeds I had done, and decided to cherish that negative part of myself as I am. Or so I thought… I stopped talking. I couldn’t even tell what was appropriate to speak anymore.

Turn a blind eye to all that tries to hurt me. Turn a deaf ear to words that will lead me down the wrong path. Turn a mute mouth to unnecessary evil. And last of all, act not. Make myself happy that way.

I could no longer perceive anything.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 27, 2022

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I also messed with the Table of Contents, it looks cooler now.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

TeeQueue posted:

I also messed with the Table of Contents, it looks cooler now.

literally unreadable, 0/10, i'm never making art for this thread ever again :colbert:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Normal books: give background info on City workings, snippets of cool info mentioned nowhere else.
Phillip's book: reiterates what was already shown in cutscenes, but with more angst and self-pity.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

we've got to catch him and flush him down a toilet.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
To be fair, we are reading his book when he was already post-Distortion with maximum negative feelings. So we are literally seeing him at his worst, as a result.

To be fair to us, that was kind of insufferable to read. Funny thing is that I hadn't read most of the books myself (largely because I forgot the feature existed when playing, whoops), so reading the books in the thread has been a treat. Well, usually. In this case I just want to slap him upside the head.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Honestly, looking at it now, it kind of reminds me of the Pianist short story. Like that's... the easiest way I can put it into words: It feels a lot like the Pianist short story. Which I guess makes sense, since... Distortions.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Keldulas posted:

To be fair, we are reading his book when he was already post-Distortion with maximum negative feelings. So we are literally seeing him at his worst, as a result.

To be fair to us, that was kind of insufferable to read. Funny thing is that I hadn't read most of the books myself (largely because I forgot the feature existed when playing, whoops), so reading the books in the thread has been a treat. Well, usually. In this case I just want to slap him upside the head.

agreed on both counts.
Need more data points (ie booked Distortions), but I get the feeling they'd all be about the Distortion's particular obsession or breaking point, because the Distortion might not even be able to think about anything else. "Navel-gazing navel-gazing navel-gazing City? what is City? too busy navel-gazing..."
Unfortunately, Philip's obsession is that he's a loser, so that's all we're going to get.

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

:golfclap: / :five:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Hod still does book reviews, right?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Looking forward to the final boss fight of the game who is Phillip.

And he runs away at the end.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Defeating Philip as the final boss will end up with Angela becoming a ~real girl~ and running off with Philip for an elopement

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Slaan posted:

Defeating Philip as the final boss will end up with Angela becoming a ~real girl~ and running off with Philip for an elopement

or she declares "nah gently caress this" and leaves, somehow using the Light to trap phil so he has to wait until whatever arbiter arrives to slap the mope out of him (along with all the blood and organs and suchlike)

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
There's a line cut off. In between the "Um, are you feeling down?" and the "Thanks for understanding", the line should be "N-no, I'm fine... I get it. This was rather sudden, and you'll need some time to collect your thoughts."

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Keldulas posted:

I like this book a lot, precisely because we're seeing how someone gets hit by a Distortion. He's dealing with a massive amount of survivor's guilt, combined with feeling like he could have saved them if he weren't worthless. And that sense of worthlessness pervades everything and distorts the way he sees the world. And then Oswald confronts him with it in a way that is too strong and too powerful to ignore, so Phillip breaks. Arguably there are other ways he could have broken based on how he interpreted the recent events of his life, but for a man who runs away from everything, this was the only real outcome.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009
Philips book is a pretty good impression of what it's like to think while depressed and how you expect other people will react to you (mockery and contempt). I think if he read his own book he'd hate himself even more for sounding so angsty.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

i'd read Run Phillip Run

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Does the fact that these are "Unstable Books" and an "Unstable Key Page" mean anything?

Loxo321
Sep 28, 2021

Zereth posted:

Does the fact that these are "Unstable Books" and an "Unstable Key Page" mean anything?

Gameplay-wise? No.

Story-wise? Probably indicates the fact that we haven't booked all of Philip, so the information contained within the book is incomplete. Combine that with the fact that dialogue asserts that the Unspeaking Child escaped just as Philip was getting booked, it probably also indicates that the book itself is probably a bit corrupted information-wise, in the same manner you might get corrupted files if you turn off the power right in the middle of your computer saving something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
I wonder if the unstable Phillip book contains an unstable Ssangwa-cha recipe. Maybe Binah will end up booking him for it :P