Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Never knew about the min/max emotion generation. Useful information! Figured out the general rule of “clash to gain emotion” though since that part is fairly intuitive.

Man that’s a lot of effort you’re going to be putting into the librarians.

Edit: Also from being able to see still images on screenshots, it seems like defensive dice win ties vs offensive ones. Good to know.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Keldulas posted:

it seems like defensive dice win ties vs offensive ones.

it doesn't quite work like that, mostly because while you don't take any damage, on clash win defensive die have other effects (stagger damage for block and stagger heal for evade) that don't trigger on a tie.
they also don't proc "on clash win" effects because you didn't actually win a clash, like the first block die on TfaLT:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Fair enough.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TeeQueue posted:

Honestly, I explained pretty much the entire thing. All that's left is something that won't matter until we have more Abnormality Pages to play with, and that's something that can be ignored in 99% of builds.

Zones or are you thinking of something else?

MetaMeme posted:

Oh boy, the n-next syndicate will be super fun! I l-love them :allears:

Yknow, I never really got the point of saying "ooh you'll love what's next!" Like are you just trying to show you know what happens next?

It's not particularly offensive, I just can see it happening for literally every fight for the rest of the lp.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 10, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Aw, come on Angela, don't be mean to the clerks assistants. I know you've spent... quite a while... in A's company but it's no reason to pick up his bad habits.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Acerbatus posted:

Zones or are you thinking of something else?
I believe its the Two Spoiler-ridden compositions that require careful setup.

Acerbatus posted:

Yknow, I never really got the point of saying "ooh you'll love what's next!" Like are you just trying to show you know what happens next?
It's not particularly offensive, I just can see it happening for literally every fight for the rest of the lp.
the point is that i love them :colbert:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Ah, good ol' Commandeering, the staple 3 cost of the early game. How I love thee :allears:

Also, if my suspicions on the update order are right, we should be getting the ancillary update for Yun's Office Credenza next. Good stuff there.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

MetaMeme posted:

I believe its the Two Spoiler-ridden compositions that require careful setup.

the point is that i love them :colbert:

It's a bit obnoxious though, please don't.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Acerbatus posted:

It's a silly joke that is specific to a minor detail about the upcoming guests, and not entirely an empty comment.

I agree with your comment in general terms but I think the thread is necessarily going to be a bit content-light until we get further on and can talk more about mechanics and plot.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

So lemme see if this makes sense: You have positive and negative coins you get from good or bad things happening to you. They negate each other- two positives and one negative sums to one positive. If, at the start of the turn, you have (3+your emotion level) coins of either polarity, your emotion level goes up, your coins zero out, and you get the light bonus.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Is the editing of combat barks within the game itself or do you have to edit some file?

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

So lemme see if this makes sense: You have positive and negative coins you get from good or bad things happening to you. They negate each other- two positives and one negative sums to one positive. If, at the start of the turn, you have (3+your emotion level) coins of either polarity, your emotion level goes up, your coins zero out, and you get the light bonus.

Not quite. If you get one negative and two positives, then you get the full 3 coins, just one is red (negative) and two are blue (positive). It's only relevant for what anomaly cards you can then use, I believe, since anomaly cards are also red or blue. Some anomalies tend to 'punish' gaining a specific kind of emotion because their cards for that emotion type have drawbacks. I'd give examples but that's huge spoilers and I'm sure TeeQueue will explain it much better than I could when it becomes relevant. A good general rule of thumb though is that green abnormality pages are almost exclusively a positive while red cards often have self destructive effects in-built since the abnormality's help is more aggressive, lashing out in response to those negative feelings from doing badly.

The 'overwriting' is more that the game tends to favor negative coins in many edge cases.

-Edit- You can see, when selecting an anomaly page, the 'positive vs negative emotions' breakdown that informs the current selection of cards on offer to the right of this picture from the last update.

Glalev fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 10, 2021

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Glalev posted:

The 'overwriting' is more that the game tends to favor negative coins in many edge cases.

Got it. That's weird, but the whole system is weird, so okay.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

A Bystander posted:

Is the editing of combat barks within the game itself or do you have to edit some file?

It's in the game

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

A Bystander posted:

There are some limitations, though, in that you can't edit Roland's lines and Abnormality battles have unique, uneditable intro lines.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Oh, that's pretty rad. And yeah, it makes sense for Roland and the Abnormalities.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Yeah, the ratio of emotions you get between positive and negative influences what Abnormality Pages you pull. There's hidden mechanics there influencing what you get, which Tee might get to when we have enough Abno pages for it to become actually relevant.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Glalev posted:

-Edit- You can see, when selecting an anomaly page, the 'positive vs negative emotions' breakdown that informs the current selection of cards on offer to the right of this picture from the last update.

What the heck, I literally never noticed that bar looking thing! When was that added???

A Bystander posted:

It's in-game in the librarian customization screen. The default combat barks are also pretty good though so I rarely bother changing them.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Arcvasti posted:

What the heck, I literally never noticed that bar looking thing! When was that added???

I actually never noticed that until reading the LP, myself, and I'm wondering the same damned thing, hahah. I saw that, was "Oh THAT'S how you tell" and then had a mental 'wait, how did I miss that...'.

I'm chalking it up to usually being absorbed into the fight and keeping track of mechanics whenever that screen pops up so I look at the cards, pick the right one and then resume the fight itself.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

AweStriker posted:

There are some limitations, though, in that you can't edit Roland's lines and Abnormality battles have unique, uneditable intro lines.

It's not just the intro lines - for Abnormality battles more or less every single line is unique, and unique per librarian. We'll see that as we go on, but it's not really anything resembling a spoiler to say that custom barks get almost wholly overwritten.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

TeeQueue posted:

You can freely edit all of the combat quotes of the assistant Librarians, and I am 100% doing just that.

Thaaaat is very cool. I guess Project Moon realized how attached people were getting to their employees. Especially now since you can't permanently lose them anymore, letting you get deep in customizing them is a great feature.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Picked up this game thanks to the last LP. Pretty fun, although despite the explanation about speed dice and intercepting attacks I'm still baffled. Sometimes I'll try to set up a defense against someone attacking me only for it to not clash and then eat a ton of damage. I'm just brute forcing my way through so far but after reaching level 20 it's gotten a lot tougher to manage.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Razakai posted:

Picked up this game thanks to the last LP. Pretty fun, although despite the explanation about speed dice and intercepting attacks I'm still baffled. Sometimes I'll try to set up a defense against someone attacking me only for it to not clash and then eat a ton of damage. I'm just brute forcing my way through so far but after reaching level 20 it's gotten a lot tougher to manage.
When you start a fight, hit 1 and 2 to see enemy attacks (red lines) and clashes (gold lines). You can also hit 3 for your attacks (blue lines) but that'll probably clutter the screen too much.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Razakai posted:

Attacks target specific dice, which might be relevant in your case? I believe, if you have dice A targeting their dice A, and they're hitting your B with their B, and you aren't fast enough to intercept their attack, it will be two one-sided attacks instead of a clash. (Caveat: this might be totally wrong).

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

Crasical posted:

Thaaaat is very cool. I guess Project Moon realized how attached people were getting to their employees. Especially now since you can't permanently lose them anymore, letting you get deep in customizing them is a great feature.
That's honestly the main thing keeping me from dropping this game. I'm usually not to interested in these cards style games, the preperation needed before each battle is mind numbing to me.
But knowing each Abno battle will give me back one of my precious nuggets, with the opportunity to flesh their stories and personalities even more than before keeps me motivated to keep playing, to get to the next Abno battle, to reunite with another old friend.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Winterdragon2004 posted:

That's honestly the main thing keeping me from dropping this game. I'm usually not to interested in these cards style games, the preperation needed before each battle is mind numbing to me.
But knowing each Abno battle will give me back one of my precious nuggets, with the opportunity to flesh their stories and personalities even more than before keeps me motivated to keep playing, to get to the next Abno battle, to reunite with another old friend.

While I enjoyed this game I do kind of wish it had difficulty settings so people could see the story and such without needing to be good at card battling.

It can also be hard to tell what you're doing wrong, especially since quick battle defaults to on. And while these early fights are very simple, it scales up in complexity.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

Qrr posted:

While I enjoyed this game I do kind of wish it had difficulty settings so people could see the story and such without needing to be good at card battling.

It can also be hard to tell what you're doing wrong, especially since quick battle defaults to on. And while these early fights are very simple, it scales up in complexity.

Personally I like the tough difficulty, as well as the general battle system as a whole. It's the process of building and modifying your deck for each individual librarian for every single battle that saps away my motivation, especially if a specific deck layout can mean the difference between victory or defeat before even starting the battle.

Mr. Stizblee
Aug 24, 2021
Speaking of custom barks, I had a much more negative experience with this mechanic due to biting off more than I could chew.

When I was first playing Lobotomy Corporation I heard about this feature and had the terrible idea to write detailed backstories for all of my nuggets despite having never done anything even resembling that before, just to get some use out of the mechanic.
Not only did it make an already stressful game even more stressful by adding writers block to the long list of difficulties you face playing this game, but it also meant I couldn't let anyone die or else I'd have to write yet another unique backstory.
I ended up playing through nearly the entire game nearly deathless, with the exception for one guy who died within 5 minutes of hiring him on an already difficult day before I even wrote a backstory for him. The other exception was day 49 for obvious reasons, although I ignored that for Library of Ruina writing purposes. I also had to do a day 1 reset because of Binah's BS (You really do not want to have Meat Lantern while fighting her) but I installed the mod that lets you keep agents after a day 1 reset because there was no way I was writing 40+ unique backstories a second time.

Anyway the end result was me spending about five minutes writing a few barks for my librarians whenever I got a new one and then never looking at them again because I already knew what they said and I usually had more pressing things to worry about.

There were a couple of nuggets I was especially proud of though. My favorite was Destiny, captain of the records team, a young girl who originally had a beautiful singing voice and dreams of using it, but had since had her body, mind, and voice horrifically mutated by the abnormalities. I tried to give her all of the most horrific looking abnormality gift so she ended up with mountain of smiling bodies face, eyes growing out of her cheek, goat horns, a full set of nightmarish wings, tentacle hands, and more glowing yellow eyes poking out of her hair.

So yeah, the moral of this story is to not mess around with writing your nuggets backstory unless you really like writing and are good enough at Lobotomy Corporation to keep them alive.

Mr. Stizblee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 10, 2021

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Winterdragon2004 posted:

Personally I like the tough difficulty, as well as the general battle system as a whole. It's the process of building and modifying your deck for each individual librarian for every single battle that saps away my motivation, especially if a specific deck layout can mean the difference between victory or defeat before even starting the battle.

I built a few decks using key pages, starred those pages, and took to switching those decks around as needed. You don't usually need a lot of different decks in my experience.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...

Crasical posted:

Given how there's achievement for customizing a library assistant to your own tastes. It's even called "Your very own Nugget!" pushing the joke name of custom Agents/Librarians farther. Good work, I love it.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 2: Yun's Office

LPer's note: Some of these pages aren't able to be gotten in the game anymore, specifically Page 2 and 3 of the Yun's Office Fixer. I'll be keeping these texts in these updates, though I'll call them out like this if they've been dummied out.

Finn’s Page posted:

It’s been a while, sis. Actually… I talked to you some time ago. By myself, of course. It sounds a bit lonely… But I’m fine! Today’s not gonna be the same as the days before; I have good news. I finally joined an Office run by this guy named ‘Yun’ and officially became a Fixer. You’re proud to see your precious little younger brother grow up and make it, aren’t you? Isn’t it cool? I told you there’s no need to worry about me.

Oh, about Yun’s Office… I think it’s a really nice place. No, I’m not lying. Our operator Yun is a bit cold, but he teaches me a lot of things, and there’s also Eri, who’s my senior. I’ve yet to be friends with her… but she seems like a good person, too. For now, they’re giving me small jobs like searching for lost cats. Maybe they’re worried I’m too inexperienced to handle tougher stuff. It’s not really fancy, but… If I start out with small tasks like this and work up slowly, I’m gonna be a great Fixer one day, yeah? My heart is already pumping with excitement…

When I become a proud and dashing Fixer, I’ll buy a Nest migration ticket and get a nice new home for you. I could buy my gear at a workshop thanks to your help, and all that… Though that’s not all. You always looked after me, sis. …It’s kind of embarrassing to talk about this. Anyway, don’t worry about me, and do the things you want to do. I know you were always too busy caring for me to pursue your own interests. You offered to give me a prosthetic body or even a minor procedure the last time we met, but… I’m doing fine without any of that stuff. And you got money to earn for yourself. Hngh, chaa… I’m tired, so I’ll be going now. I ran around the whole town chasing a cat all day… Night, sis. I hope we see each other again.

Eri’s Page posted:

You have lots of things to prepare before you can jump into the Fixer business. Starting with choosing equipment, you’ll need clothes to protect your bodily accessories, et cetera… But, before any of that, body augmentation comes first. There’s no point having masterful skills or fancy equipment if your body can’t keep up, y’know? And training hard isn’t gonna do it. There’s a limit to training your body, and the fittest body is still no match for mechanical prosthetics or bionic organs. You gotta be able to keep your body intact to do anything, so you’re pretty much forced to spend a fortune on it.

There’s a ton of methods to enhance your body. Exoskeletons, bionic surgeries, nano-tattoos, prosthetic body parts… You name it. Deciding what workshop tech to employ is up to preference and purpose. Some would want insane muscular strength that could let them carry a power pole one-handed, and others would want ludicrous speed, quick enough to skip over multiple blocks in a split second. It’s so diverse, I could go on forever. You need any ability, they’ve got you covered. The only hurdle is money. In the City, money is what gets you power. That’s why the first thing we notice when we assess our foes is how much they’ve spent on their bodies… Oh, of course, some technologies patented by closed groups like certain Syndicates or Wings are hard to get your hands on even if you have all the cash in the world.

Just look at me, though! It took a teensy little procedure for me to lift this humongous weapon with one hand. This is the kind of power you can get, you see? Body augmentation is more of a necessity than an option these days, so you’ll want to study up on that. You don’t wanna stay a weakling when everyone else’s getting their augmentations, now do you?

Yun’s Page posted:

Finn was bungling in many ways. He had no talent, he refused to take modification procedures, all he armed himself with was a tiny weapon. I didn’t exactly dislike him, though. They say a delicate person like him is nothing short of pathetic here, but he had passion regardless, and he was going to be our colleague from now on. Besides, it’s not too common to see such a passionate fellow in this grueling mess of a City. He was an interesting one.

Then why did I exploit him? …“Exploit” is a rather harsh word to describe it, if you ask me. A sloppy kid like him would’ve gotten killed anyway, abducted in the Backstreets and fading away while witnessing his innards getting ripped from his body. And that’s one of the tamer examples I could give. In this City, worse things are happening here and there on a daily basis. If he didn’t die there, he could’ve faced a much more terrible fate somewhere else, isn’t that right? …Nevermind, this is all but rationalization. Think what you want.

A Yun’s Office Fixer, Page 1 posted:

The society of Fixers is built entirely up on meritocracy. The greater you are, the higher you can climb. On the other hand, if you don’t have the capability, you should be thankful for any org that accepts you and stay low. Thing is, ‘capability’ can mean many things. For some, it could be physical strength, and others might have superior intellect. It seems kinda unfair to me that they make arbitrary evaluations of a concept that can be taken in so many different ways. Not that I think I have some hidden talent that deserves a better grade or anything, though. I do feel a bit upset, but I think I’m at the right place. The jobs I usually do are looking for lost cats at night… You can tell how low my spot is, yeah?

I’m not a huge fan of the jobs I’m doing right now, of course. I mean, sure, I wouldn’t say no to some flashier requests. I just accepted to carry on with my life.

A Yun’s Office Fixer, Page 2 posted:

The Backstreets are alleyways densely spread across the city. They’re entangled like spiderwebs, and spread far and wide, so it is virtually impossible for one to know every single thing that occurs in the Backstreets. And they’re populated with all sorts of people.

Examinee towns where people preparing for entrance exams in hopes of getting into a Nest have gathered; Syndicates and Fixers thirstily looking for business; workshops that benefit from their conflicts, crafting various tools and gadgets… It’s a disorderly lump of all kinds of desires for wealth and dreams.

People think Fixers are “good guys” who fight off bad guys here, but they’re just humans in reality. They’re simply doing their jobs to make a living. Some clients look at us with sparkly eyes like we’re heroes or something. This might seem funny to you, but things get troublesome if we don’t fulfill their requests. They give us a disappointed look, yell profanities at us… Turn into rude customers before leaving.

A Yun’s Office Fixer, Page 3 posted:

A hotshot Fixer gets all the push they can get from their Office. And an Office housing competent Fixers can get sponsorships from Associations, Wings, or workshops. The same can be said for individual Fixers; the spicy ones are sought after by many firms. But that won’t be you guys. Most of us have to purchase equipment with our own budget. Insane things happen in the City, and even Rats could tear you a new one if you haven’t got any useful gadgets or procedures.

And how do you get the money for that? Duh, you’re supposed to earn it, isn’t that obvious? …Funny, isn’t it. You jump into the Fixer business trying to earn money, but you need to get into debt and spend money to be able to do proper work. How ironic is that? This world’s one giant hamster wheel.

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

I like the fixers. It makes it sound like they're all combat operatives - and the ones you meet certainly are - but it's just a shorthand term for literally any kind of contract worker. An administrative assistant for hire would be a fixer. Makes me wonder how you climb in grades if your specialty is accounting...

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Chinely posted:

I like the fixers. It makes it sound like they're all combat operatives - and the ones you meet certainly are - but it's just a shorthand term for literally any kind of contract worker. An administrative assistant for hire would be a fixer. Makes me wonder how you climb in grades if your specialty is accounting...

Why would you assume accountants don't need to be combat ready in the city? I think everybody just has to be ready to throw down all the time. Even the people rescuing cats need giant anime swords to do their job after all.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

WarpedLichen posted:

Why would you assume accountants don't need to be combat ready in the city? I think everybody just has to be ready to throw down all the time. Even the people rescuing cats need giant anime swords to do their job after all.

The City's probably best described as a lovely RPG's encounter table. In one area you might have nothing but lovely Rats, but round the corner and whoops, you have high grade Fixers who have already taken two turns before one of yours.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021

quote:

"There’s no point having masterful skills or fancy equipment if your body can’t keep up, y’know? And training hard isn’t gonna do it. There’s a limit to training your body, and the fittest body is still no match for mechanical prosthetics or bionic organs."

The Red Mist would like a word. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kali didn't have any bodily enhancements, did she? Or at least none that were outright stated in LC.)

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

PinkDawn posted:

The Red Mist would like a word. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kali didn't have any bodily enhancements, did she? Or at least none that were outright stated in LC.)

Depends on if Gebura's boss form is some specially made combat chassis or not. It could have been Kali's power armor or something, turned into a chassis.

On the one hand, the Charles Atlas Superpower is common enough to be a Trope, and Kali seems the right PMverse character to apply that to.
On the other hand, this is a world where Arbiters wield actual bullshit hax (aka Singularities), and somehow Kali still managed to take one down. To do so purely on innate human strength is absurd. Kali's not a shonen anime protagonist

(not to say that Kali wasn't exceptionally skilled; just that PMverse doesn't seem like the place where pure, unenhanced skill is enough to reach the top)

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

PinkDawn posted:

She did have an E.G.O. weapon which is exclusive tech only found through L corp's singularity.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Gebura being super strong through the ~power of will~ rather than injecting nanobots into herself feels like it doesn't fit the setting. More likely enhancements are commonplace enough that it doesn't even bear noticing, hence why Finn refusing them was mentioned.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I enjoy Yun ending his log with 'gently caress it, this is all just rationalization'. At least the man was self aware. And actually guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Razakai posted:

Gebura being super strong through the ~power of will~ rather than injecting nanobots into herself feels like it doesn't fit the setting. More likely enhancements are commonplace enough that it doesn't even bear noticing, hence why Finn refusing them was mentioned.

Alternatively, she's also an anime protagonist like Finn, only she lasted long enough to get a mid-season upgrade or two.