Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Single-Point Stab only works on the extra copies in the 'draw pile', not the 'discard pile', but broadly, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Knock knock!

MetaMeme fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 1, 2023

mercurially
May 7, 2022

Gaining back pain stacks at the speed of light!
who's there?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

MetaMeme posted:

Knock knock!

mercurially posted:

who's there?

Tenebrais. :suspense:

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
She is unstoppable, insurmountable, ENORMOUS and just so loving good. What a double-whammy! We are truly blessed this May-day. :allears:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Birds Beware.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh jeez and I'd just settled on a new Discord avatar

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 41: We Provoked Two Militaries at Once—Chapter 3

Music: BinahBattle03

So like… if you can see the stars in the dark, what are we supposed to be looking for, Miss Binah?

Observe them. Capture their barest essence in your eyes, and the way shall become clear.

Mmmmmmm…!

Of the named Liu trio, Chun's unique ability is the simplest to handle: two pages in his hand will make any page he plays inflict double the Burn they normally would. He also has extra Blunt power, but that isn't a huge deal by now.

Miris, meanwhile, has Singular Strike like the normal Liu Section 1 Fixers do. However, his Hugging Fire, Sitting on Brushwood passive is interesting: any enemy hit by one of his melee attacks will take Stagger damage from their Burn at the end of the turn. This means that blocking his strikes is important if we want to keep our SR from withering away into nothing.

And then there's Xiao. Like Lowell before her, she has both of the passives of her underlings. In addition to this, her Force of a Wildfire passive will slap our Librarians with a debuff that will spread their Burn to the rest off the party should they be Staggered. Because someone she hits will tend to rack up a lot of Burn, this can give Xiao a very potent snowball effect.

I got it! We have to not get hit, and hit them a lot.

Riveting.

Music: GuestBattle01

Meanwhile, the final group of R Corporation is the Rabbit Team, with 3 Rabbits, Myo, and Nikolai herself leading the charge.

The generic Rabbit Team members get Haste as their HP lowers, to complete the trifecta with the Reindeer's Strength and the Rhino's Endurance. It's usually the weakest of the three skills, and they're otherwise unremarkable.

Myo, like the other leaders, is effectively a souped-up Rabbit. Her Compressed Charge-stimulated Muscleforce passive (written here solely because the font is so tiny in game) gives her even more Speed when she's got 11+ Charge. She's faster, but speed doesn't mean much on its own.

However, she's got Nikolai backing her today. As the leader of R Corp's 4th pack, she gives everyone in the party 1 Strength and Endurance once she hits 11 or more Charge. Additionally, whatever enemy she targets will take 50% more HP and Stagger damage from all attacks starting the next turn, which could allow the Rabbits to focus them down without any interruptions thanks to their high Speed.

Unfortunately for them, nothing outspeeds Gebura.

Music: GeburaBattle02

Hey, Red Mist. No… it's still Gebura now, isn't it? Do you still remember how to use that sword?

I'm not the same lost kid that'd fall for your crap anymore, Myo.

Ohoo..?

I guess your body's upgraded from a rusty scrapheap to a puppet, now that I look at you. How many times have you died, anyways?

This one's my third life. What's it to you?

Well hot drat. You've died soo many times now… Can you really say you're strong anymore?

'Cause you're sure as hell not a survivor.

The Rabbits and Nikolai don't use Concentrate, though they do still use Graze the Grass. In place of that, the Rabbits have a trio of their own pages. The first, Pinpoint Shot, is a big Ranged die that gets bigger if their Speed is 6 or more. We intercept this one in the traditional manner. :black101:

Quick Suppression, meanwhile, is their main Charge generation page: it grants 5 Charge and inflicts Bleed. That's about it.

Lastly there's Concentrated Fire, another Ranged page that gives +1 Power when the user's Speed is 6 or more. The ranges are good, but as a Ranged page it's as vulnerable to a single big die as ever.

As for Nikolai, while she has a trio of Graze the Grass and a trio of Quick Suppression, her last 3 pages are copies of Battle Command. This page is a more expensive upgrade to the Musician of Bremen's pages, giving 2 allies 1 Strength with the power befitting a 3-cost Star of the City page.

Myo. I allowed you to keep using their comms system because I thought you could find something useful, but… did you want to use it just so you could taunt this woman?

Don't know what you're talkin' about, granny.

Then how do you know her?

Isn't it obvious? She's a fan of the Red Mist.

The red… that woman?

Eh? I'm supposed to be a dried up husk's fan? That's hilarious.

Dried up, eh? You four, leave that hopping brat to me.

Alright… just this once, boss.

You think you can do anything against a Rabbit?!

That peashooter's not firing off our bullets anymore. It can't get through my E.G.O.

See? Worthless.

You got a little of your bite back… This is gonna' be fun after all.

Their suppression fire might be a problem to get through…

It's weak. Push through.

Most people can't tank bullets like you can, BICEPS!

Sounds like a personal issue, if you ask me.

While the Rabbits hop along the ground…

Hold on there, lady. Didn't they ever teach you it's rude to interrupt?

I sensed you were doing something dangerous for us.

Ah… you're a sharp one.

If we don't handle that woman, things could get troublesome.

Unlikely. We're stronger.

Tch… you're harder than you look, aren't you?

You can't hack it on this floor without being a bit tougher than normal.

You all warmed up over there, boss?

Yeah… Still can't pull this on as quickly as I used to, but…

Music: The Red Mist

With you guys having my back, that's not really a problem, is it?

You were holding out on me..!

Rabbits, keep your distance! Spray her down from afar!

Belay that, Rabbits. Leave the Red Mist to me. You graze the rest of the area.

Back with Binah's crew, our best option for handling the sheer amount of high-power pages that five opponents can put out is Staggering or defeating them as fast as possible. To that end, Mass Attack pages like Raging Storm: Harm are the way to go.

The Liu aren't going to just sit there and take it, though. Chun and Miris can both use Flaming Dragon Fist, another block into big die attack, this one with a whopping 6 Burn on it. This one is coming from Chun, and the icon next to the page's cost means that it's under the effect of his passive—if this hits it's worth 12 Burn instead of 6. We'd like to block this.

Miris is also coming at us with a Fervid Emotions, another powerful 4-cost page that inflicts 1 Burn 2 times with each hit, for a total of 4 Burn.

Lastly, Xiao has her own Mass Attack—and it's stronger than Lowell's was. For one, she doesn't have to waste a Speed Die to set it up, it's simply always ready. It also hits twice, and inflicts slightly more Burn than the Harm version. She simply refuses to be outdone.

There's waaaay too many attacks… I can't keep track of them all!

…Half of them. I'll crush half.

How ambitious.

…Goodbye.

This heat… it's definitely the Section 2 Director's…

No... This is but a mockery.

Do you think yourself worthy of wielding that power?!

Were we not worthy, you would have no reason to come here.

Silence, thrall of this cursed library!

If this place truly grants power to emotions…

Then take the whole of them!

I have witnessed your resolve.

Allow me to respond in kind.

That's not going to work!

Then, from below.

Chains? But how…

It doesn't matter. Be as tricky as you want. We'll crush you all the same.

So you say.

..!

Yet even now, my Fairies are eating away at your dear leader. Can you truly believe she will hold out forever?

She's… powerful. She'll hold out as long as she needs to.

Don't listen to her. She's trying to goad you.

Yeah… you're right. Thanks, Chun.

Now, as for you…

I accept this punishment. We deserve it.

Don't make it weird.

Hey, what'd we even do to deserve something like that?

The same thing we always do: betray expectations, and slaughter those around us.

Huh. But what expectation are we betraying?

Khh-!

Today..? Their expectations of victory.

Ooooh! I got it! :keke:

Music: GeburaBattle03

Myo…

Don't worry about it, granny.

It's obvious that you're no match for that woman alone… and while you've been screwing around, two of your precious rabbits are dead. The third's on death's door, too.

I told you to handle the other four. The gently caress were you doing?!

If you don't get your head under control right now, then I'm going to—

My head is screwed on perfectly well, granny.

You feel it too, don't you?!

Boss!

I'm fine, it's just a bullet or two..

Exactly, exactly…

A couple of slashes won't stop me… Some bullets won't stop you, either. So we can finally fight all out, like we've always dreamed.

Maybe you'll kill me…

Or maybe I'll kill you.

Either way… I want to gorge myself on this grass a bit longer.

'Fraid it won't work out like that.

Yeah… Things have to end sooner or later.

…Hey. Gebura.

I guess you're not half bad after all.

And you're as sloppy as ever. Thanks… I guess.

That stupid Rabbit… Mixing up personal feelings and business… what was she thinking?

People who think with their heads wouldn't understand it.

And people who can't think with their heads will return to the grasslands.

Sez you. I have you right where I want you.

One less blade of grass to graze.

Miss Gebura is the centerpiece of our offense… but none of us are slouches either.

Even if all we were doing this time was keeping you four occupied…

You all did your jobs just fine. Those Rabbits view even Stars of the City as just something else to graze on.

So that's how it was…

It can't be helped… I've underestimated this place.

The next time we meet, things won't go so well for you.

…Next time? You running away?

We're R Corp. We never retreat.

…Huh. Must know something I don't, then.

It's just talk. We kicked her rear end so hard she couldn't help but try and throw us off. :rolleyes:

…It's quiet.

Shouldn't there still be fighting upstairs?

Binah was supposed to be taking care of the Liu, yeah…

I'm not a fan of it, but let's go see if we have to bail her out.

The hardest part of R Corp is regrouping after the Reindeer deal a metric ton of damage to our first team. Because we get two floors to deploy, it's not too bad so long as we dedicate one of them entirely to absorbing the hits from that first battle. The second floor can then use the Rhinos to build up steam that'll carry them right through the Rabbits.

Meanwhile, Binah pulls out the heavy ordinance against the enemies. Degraded Shockwave's 3 Protection will help blunt some of the damage Punished and Huge Mizu will take, and the damage output should help us manage the chaos somewhat.

By playing and removing and replaying our Mass Attack, it's possible to somewhat control the dice it targets on the enemy—we can select the initial die we want, but all the dice on the other enemies are chosen randomly each time it's placed. Here, we've aimed for the weaker attacks on the second speed dice of Chun and the rear Fixer, and also for Miris's broken die.

Miris… you already know the situation, don't you.

They focused their attention exclusively on the Director. With her unable to defend herself… That Arbiter-like woman is going to strike.

Yeah. Thought so. …I'll make an opportunity for you. You know what to do, right?

Thank you.

They're up to something.

Then let them give this their all.

I shall greet them all the same.

Degraded Shockwave's effect is a trio of ripple effects across the screen that may trigger PTSD in any Lobotomy Corporation veterans.

Gah..! Dammit!

The attack blew her clear away..!

It's not over yet. Stay on the defensive!

The first hit triggers Xiao's escape threshold—she cannot be killed in this combat, and leaves at 170 HP.

The third hit takes out the other Staggered Liu Fixer.

Remorse… Didn't expect to see that in the eyes of my killer.

This is a job. We both have our parts to play.

…Whatever you have to tell yourself.

…Moving on to the next.

Good timing, Patchy! I just got this one all sewn up for us.

Then I'll… I'll..!

Gh…

…I'm not dead? You hesitated.

You were just tougher than I anticipated…

I'm not… done yet!

The Director… I've got to get her out of here.

Keep them occupied as long as you can. I'll secure Director Xiao's safety now!

Like Xiao, Miris also runs away—though in his case at 10 HP remaining. We won't be taking either of them out today.

:v: Sir!

…A final effort, as a candle flickering against the winds of a storm.

Destined to be snuffed out, in the end.

Aww, man… those two got away while we were handling that last one!

Worry not, dear. Such an outcome did not lie outside of my expectations.

Does anything?

Who can say?

The Liu Section 1's single-die attacks can put a lot more damage on our units than Section 2 was able to, making them somewhat more difficult opponents. In addition, the sheer amount of Burn the three named Fixers can output can burn right through our HP pools. By now, though, we've got a number of ways to spam Mass Attacks—and there's nothing better at handling a large number of opponents than tossing out two or three of them.

When we click to continue, though, we get something strange instead of a Results screen.

VIDEO
Music: STOP

Please calm down, director!

You could’ve fled alone if you were so afraid… Explain why you had to drag me along!

Music: Result

…Seems like everything's been handled up here after all. Huh.

Did you come all of this way to ensure our safety?

I came to make sure the job got done.

It is appreciated. I would offer your choice of hospitality, but… there is work to be done.

Wuh-oh. I don't think my arm is supposed to bend like that.

No problem! I'll twist it back in place!

…It is as you see.

…Yeah. I'll be by for tea later, maybe.

Man, the boss really stole the show today, huh?

Not like we could really compete with a color, after all.

Ahh, that's quitter talk! Just try a bit, you'll be amazed at what you can do!

There are limits to optimism, you know…

Still, it just means we'll have to try harder tomorrow.

Guess so… We'll get our moment eventually.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

I’m not sure. I can’t exactly tell if that was a Distortion or E.G.O.

That one guy ran off with her at the speed of sound, to be fair… No wonder we couldn’t get a good look at it.

Was it confusion… I wonder what the reason was.

What motivated him to do such a thing?

Didn’t expect him to care for his boss that much… I’ve seen people run off on their own, but dragging someone else along so they can both live? That’s new. Though the woman who got nabbed was determined to fight and win. Will they come back to the Library?

I don’t know. What will happen next is a mystery as always.

All I got to see for sure was horns and a snake’s scales growing out of her… I guess.

That was a transitional phase of some kind, I assume. It was likely a sign of gradual progress. I couldn’t tell if that was a Distortion or not because there’s such a fine line. What we saw won’t be sufficient clues for now.

That’s how it works, huh… The whole thing about lines of emotions is still lost on me, though.

What are you pondering about this time.

I’m just frustrated at the lack of a clear answer.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see for now. We don’t even know what has become of them yet.

I suppose that's true enough… We didn't get their books yet, after all.

Though, while I'm thinking about books:

VIDEO

Friend? She was little more than an acquaintance, as I said before.

True, but she was still one of the few people that have known you for a long time. She’s a former associate of yours, which I’m sure is a rarity among the guests. Doesn’t it feel odd or anything?

…It did leave a curious impression. That’s all there is to it.

Nonetheless, I wasn’t planning to go easy on her regardless of my feelings. We have a purpose clearly cut out for us, and so do the guests.

…I don’t know. But right now, I want to focus on heading towards this goal I have. I don’t want to pay attention to what’s around me…

Taking these steps is hard enough for me.

You don’t want to have any regret, huh.

Roland, you don’t seem to get tired of asking if I have regrets.

Well, I mean, you may have been ignorant of everything at first, but… You’ve seen and experienced many different things on the way here. I was just wondering if those experiences changed your thoughts a little.

A person’s aims and wishes… don’t stay the same forever, you know.

…I don’t know about that.

With that, we're finally free. While the Liu have given us a lot of cool toys to play with, the real winner here is a single passive from Myo's key page, which I'll go ahead and mention here:

Myo's Prowess is an ability unique to her key page, and its effect allows Gebura to instantly get +5 Power to all dice on her infinite Speed Die's combat page. There's more to it than that, but the game's difficulty curve can now be quite effectively snapped in half—the Strongest Prowess combo, as it's colloquially known, is an incredible tool for the rest of the game.

That's all for now. There's two Abnormality Battles on the table alongside four nodes to do, so where we go from here is in your hands.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"People have been committing sins since long ago. "Why do they commit sins, knowing it's wrong?""

"When the two met at last, the Hermit brought countless minions to destroy the Servant's world."

The fires of vengeance still burn.

What could possibly be stronger than R Corporation?

The Prescripts still wait.

As does this Snake.

Videos

Liu Section 1 1.5
Liu Section 1 2
R Corp 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

Nikolai Exclusive:

Rhino/Maxim Exclusive:

Reindeer/Rudolph Exclusive:

Chun/Miris Exclusive:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 3, 2023

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
REVERENCE
REVERENCE
REVERENCE

LET'S
loving
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

the myo banter and interactions between gebura and binah were very good too

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Is there any practical difference between inflicting 1 burn twice and inflicting 2 burn?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Is there any practical difference between inflicting 1 burn twice and inflicting 2 burn?

Some passives inflict +1 Burn when inflicting Burn, so if you inflict 1 Burn twice you're inflicting 4 Burn, but if you're inflicting 2 Burn once you're inflicting only 3.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Too many good pages to even start. Both Charge and Burn get huge amount of support.

Myo's Prowess was already mentioned separately in TQ post, but I want to point out that The Strongest is only 3-cost. 5+3 = 8 points to attribute both to some other page on other Floor. Do you remember that Chained Wrath exploit that allowed all dice to always become infinite? Well, with Myo's Prowess and Clean this amounts to +8 power. Grinder transforms from "the only mass page on the floor, so we have no choice" to "easily beats GS:H in damage". Solemn Lament straight up kills stuff with total +64 power.

Another winner there is Nikolai Page. Finishing touch is basically full Smoke on target. Which stacks with actual Smoke. You can calculate how much damage fully powered Solemn Lament will deal on blunt Fatal marked smoked enemy with attacker having full Smoke. I doubt anything can actually survive that.

It is weird how they made a whole mechanic around Rabbits guns allowing them to not exaust pages, while we have Thumb, which simply has non single-use ranged pages. I guess this either allows us to get repeatable Full-Stop pages, or is intended to limit Rabbits pages avaliability to those who can afford to slap this passive. Or to allow us to trim the deck with current level cards.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
An absolute poo poo-ton of the best stuff right here, this is around where I left off in my playthrough: I've done a few things past this but right here is where things got particularly wild. Excellent story beats both in-game and on TeeQueue's end: This experiment in double-battle technology turned out amazingly and I think it was the right call. These interactions between Roland and Angela have been getting increasingly more painful, as it's clear they're both evolving beyond their past perspectives on some level but the process is slow and rocky. :(

TeeQueue posted:

Myo's Prowess is an ability unique to her key page, and its effect allows Gebura to instantly get +5 Power to all dice on her infinite Speed Die's combat page. There's more to it than that, but the game's difficulty curve can now be quite effectively snapped in half—the Strongest Prowess combo, as it's colloquially known, is an incredible tool for the rest of the game.

Myongest, as I usually see it referred to, is absolutely positively stupid. And not only does it enable Gebura to get that snazzy +Power? Myo's Prowess is 5 points. The Strongest is 5 points. You can attribute them BOTH to another keypage and port that poo poo over to Yesod's floor in order to unlock an entire tray of infinite-speed dice rocking +5 (minimum) potency. It's ludicrous. :allears:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dear thread,

There is one particularly punishing choice on the poll that simply must happen.

All the other poll choices are for the birds. But those birds aren't the bird.

You know what to do.

Inconveniently,

Evil Kit

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

You know what to do.

hm, if only we had an example of someone unduly influencing the poll...nah couldn't be in this thread.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Well, that was some fun times dealing with the City Plot(s). Let’s take a break with no brakes and get a bunch of Library Plot going.

We are probably going to be here for a while.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Loved the in battle banter as always TQ. The third level of both floors music is so freaking good, Gebura has the guitar front and center (probably representing her in the fight) while Binah has a full on orchestra with a dread filled undertone.

Also NEW ABNO BATTLES!!! We can either complete the Magical Girl set or BIRB

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
That was a great battle, TQ. I particularly like the juxtaposition of Language floor working as a team that is greater than the sum of its already strong parts vs. Binah soloing everything in her Arbitrary manner (I still wonder if she's going to get any librarians later on).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Greenking77 posted:

Loved the in battle banter as always TQ. The third level of both floors music is so freaking good, Gebura has the guitar front and center (probably representing her in the fight) while Binah has a full on orchestra with a dread filled undertone.

Also NEW ABNO BATTLES!!! We can either complete the Magical Girl set or BIRB

Magical Girl set gives us Tiphereth Realization, and while we're going to have a glut of Realizations at some point, I think it makes sense to split it up at least a little.

Plus, Magical Girl Angela.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I can't wait for Angela's Magical Girl Cosplay Fest.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
A lot of stuff this chapter - from the Red Mist reaching her full potential to Charge almost achieving its final form, but the most important thing is that Yujin is basically doing this face thanks to this haul:

New Key Pages

Sufficient Ammo and Triple R Suit are pretty great passives that enable a lot of playstyles to flourish. Generic ranged pages are now genuinely viable (but do not use this on a Thumb deck since it means that basic ammo will never go away and will clog up your deck) and Charge decks get a lot more flexible. Nemo in particular will really, really appreciate Triple-R Suit. I've never really used this keypage on its own however, since you've just got a ton of better options at this point in time.

The generic Rhino keypage is, like the generic Reindeer, deceptively good. It also makes for an excellent fourth to the three Udjat keypages you can get in red coin generation sacrifice teams, ie if you're trying to get off Mountain of Corpses. If you're going to be using a generic Charge character outside of Nikolai, Maxim and Nemo, you're probably going to be building it off either this or the generic Reindeer for both their passives and their exclusives - Rhino Ram is really really good.

The generic Reindeer kind of makes Martina as a keypage obsolete by simply doing what she does - inflict massive stagger damage - but with bigger numbers and built-in +2 strength if things start going bad. You're better off appending Martina to this and giving it Heavy-hearted Forte rather than the other way around and appending this to Martina (Martina's good passives come to 7 cost while the Reindeer passives come to 8), which is a real shame because Martina is cool. She just got screwed over by having her fight come immediately before R-Corp.

That said, this is purely just going off gut feeling since I never actually used either Martina or the Reindeer myself. Now that we're firmly in Star of the City you've just got way too many great gold keypages to bother with lesser pages like this one, and if I needed something outside of that then Emma, the Thumb Soldatos and the Night Awls were right there.

Nikolai is just really, really fuckin' good and a shoe-in for a permanent slot on your A-team. After using a couple of charge generation pages she just makes everyone in the party better by merely existing and also increases everyone's damage dealt by 150%. She also has absolutely fantastic exclusive cards. There is no reason to not use her at all times.

Also, it doesn't say it anywhere but Nikolai, Myo, Maxim and Rudolph all start fights with 4 Light instead of only 3. This is a pretty big deal.

Just staple her and Gebura together for the rest of time. Myo's Prowess and The Strongest should never be apart again. Either you put Myo on The Red Mist, or you use The Strongest on Myo's page. Also, as has been mentioned the Super Yujin combo (Strongest+Myo's Prowess+Chained Wrath+Clean) is now complete and you can just snap the game in half with absurd amounts of power stacking.

Maxim is probably the best Charge character in the game as well as the best "tank", and building him is simple - Just give him all of Rudolph's passives, fill his deck with charge generators like Graze the Grass, Bulky Impact and Rhino Ram and let him facetank any unwinnable clashes you face. The strength he gets from Reindeer Treatment and Survivor combines with Maximum Crash (and Nikolai's mark) to do some truly fantastic numbers.

Really good. His intended playstyle is to use the stagger recoil from the Reindeer attack cards to trigger Survivor, but I personally just appended him to Maxim to create a monster that gets stronger and stronger as it takes damage.

Oh look. Even more Fervor to add to the borderline-infinite pile. It really is kind of ridiculous that you get so many of these.

Oh yeah, that's some good Burn stacking right there. You can really just put all the Burn passives from the Liu team on one floor and just set the world on fire, it's great.

New Combat Pages

Meh. While the Rabbit's infinite ammo thingy makes this viable, I've never used it so I can't say anything about its performance. Those are some pretty high minimum numbers though so it'd probably win more clashes than a 2-cost rightfully should.

Graze the Grass makes a very good case for being the best 0 cost light restore in the game. A reasonably strong block die that you can use to blunt the impact of attacks that'd just blow right through other 0 costs to a meaningful degree, a followup pierce die that guarantees an emotion coin, and it gives Charge too so you can splash some Charge stuff into your deck alongside it - most notably Leap. It really just does so much for such an unassuming little card. You won't go wrong just replacing all other 0 cost light restore cards you've gotten up to this point with it.

Another Rabbit gun page I never used. Seems kinda poo poo though - why use this over Deep Drag?

It's decent, but Bulky Impact is better. Basically A Golden Opportunity but more offensive-focused, which means it's better outside of strictly defensive setups that stack Walter and a Sweeper.

Not as good as you'd think. 8 Charge is decent but you'd get more out of using a Bulky Impact + Graze the Grass combo for less light cost, and the dice are strictly middle-of-the-road SotC 3-cost. They don't even have the dignity to be monotype.

And here's the big reason why A Golden Opportunity and Absorb Impact are completely obsolete. This is just Absorb Impact but better. Sure you lose 1 point of Charge, but those numbers are way better. You lose like 2 points off the leading block die to basically guarantee that second die wins its clash, all for only 2 cost. Absolutely phenomenal card that's going to be a staple of all Charge decks from now on.

While it doesn't compare well to Martina's 18 stagger exclusive with the lower guaranteed stagger and the recoil, it is both cheaper (3 charge for 8 stagger as opposed to needing a full 6 charge for the full benefit of Uncanny Strike) and has three dice rather than merely two (with a leading Block die, which is always nice in case you expect to lose a clash). It's definitely not as good for stagger infliction, but that's the price you pay for using a better keypage - if you append Martina to this for Heavy-Hearted Forte and Energy Discharge it's a total of 7 cost, while doing the reverse for Triple-R, Reindeer Treatment and Brainwave Charge-Focusing Antlers comes out to 8 cost.

Rapid Gashes my beloved. This is the key to making Yujin truly, genuinely broken, for her refund on using 4 cost pages only cares about the page's original cost. If you reduced a 4 card's cost to 0 with Happy Memories you'd find that Yujin's Overbreathing passive restores 2 light whenever she uses it, and likewise with this if you get the card's cost down to 3 or less then she starts gaining light on every use - functionally, she'll have infinite light to spend on EGO and such (which also gets its cost mitigated by Overbreathing), making her the best EGO user in the game. But alas, now is not the time. Right now you're better off using Fervid Emotions instead of this, and we'll come back to Rapid Gashes after we get the other card we need to make this setup truly work.

And here it is, Bamboo Hatted Kim's final form. Fun fact: Despite Burning Flash's ability that adds a second 6-10 slash die to this page, Singular Strike still works on this because it starts with only one attack die. So in Kim's hands, this becomes an absolutely monstrous two-hit 11-15 beast of a page. Burning Flash also helps with drawtech, since it shuffles around another card in your hand which helps a little with the incompatability Burning Flash Kim has with Will of the Prescript.

Meh.

I've never used it but I guess it could be useful to spread burn around? Xiao's Force of a Wildfire passive (that we saw but unfortunately didn't get this fight) is much better at spreading the burn around than this card, though.

I've never used this since I never understood the point of it. Someone pointed out a few pages back that it's mainly for thinning out your draw pile so you can focus on getting better cards however, which I suppose is a good reason to use this.

And here it is. Fervid fuckin' Emotions, one of my favourite cards in the game and probably the best general-use 4-cost. You really can't go wrong with sticking a copy of this in a deck. Two massive 6/7-11 hits that get boosted to a whopping 8/9-13 as the fight goes on, and a 3/5-8/10 counter die tacked onto the end. The odd way the Burn infliction works also combines extremely well with the Stigma Workshop Weaponry passive, doubling the total burn infliction from a respectable 4 stacks to a massive 8. But better yet is how it interacts with Yujin - if she uses this page she restores 2 Light (essentially making it a mere 2-cost that needs a bit of overhead to work), but since she regenerates 1 Light at the end of the turn chaining a 0-cost Light restore onto the back of this means that Yujin can use Fervid Emotions with a net ZERO Light cost. Infinite-4 Fervid Emotions Yujin is her second most powerful form behind Rapid Gashes Yujin, and she'll easily be one of if not the strongest keypage you have available because of it.

It's also a fantastic target for Happy Memories, being both exceptionally strong and invariably the most expensive thing in your deck so the targeting won't gently caress up and hit something useless. The combination of Happy Memories and this - as well as Fourth Match Flame - is why I always think of Malkuth as the "Burn Floor" even though the actual burn synergy isn't really there with most of her Abnormality cards.

Nikolai Exclusive:
Oh look, more power stacking. And it's on a solid 3-cost dice setup, too. You'll want to stick this in any Nikolai build you make.

Rhino/Maxim Exclusive:
MMM! Just look at that exceptionally big number! And it's got Protection and Charge attached to it too! And the protection it gives and the follow-up block die means that using it to clash with 2 or 3 hit cards means you won't eat a full-damage hit after winning that first clash. Stick a copy in any Rhino or Maxim deck you make.

Reindeer/Rudolph Exclusive:
Like Energy Strike this doesn't quite match up to Martina's 18 stagger on her own exclusive, this does the job well enough and is attached to what I see as a better keypage (the Reindeer). It's also a Ranged card, so you've got the added utility of being able to stagger a troublesome and fast opponent before they can get their own moves off.

Chun/Miris Exclusive:
Since Chun and Miris are both attribute fodder, you will never use this. It's also worse than Fervid Emotions imo.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 2, 2023

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, with Myongest available we now have the final piece to two nasty combos in the game: Super Yesod and Gebura, both of which can just utterly annihilate a metric ton of fights.

Granted, Gebura's combo requires getting Mountain of Corpses while keeping as many librarians alive as possible, so it can be a little tricky with some fights...but Super Yesod can pretty much go nuts from the word go.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Slightly random thought, but I really like the artwork of Battle Command. The mix of shadows and the red eyes are great

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Verant posted:

Well, with Myongest available we now have the final piece to two nasty combos in the game: Super Yesod and Gebura, both of which can just utterly annihilate a metric ton of fights.

Granted, Gebura's combo requires getting Mountain of Corpses while keeping as many librarians alive as possible, so it can be a little tricky with some fights...but Super Yesod can pretty much go nuts from the word go.
Super Yesod also gets the benefit of better (or rather, more suitable) EGO than Gebura has. Not that either of the Greater Splits are bad - they're two of the best cards in the game even - but when you're abusing the Myongest combo Grinder Mk. 5-2 and Solemn Lament's multiple hits just let you get that much more mileage out of the absurd power stacks. Rolling 11-18 (or better) 8 times in a row with full smoke stacks and guaranteed super effective damage thanks to Dark Flame does a lot more damage than Greater Split Vertical could ever hope to achieve.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Stronger that the myongest is Hod in a maxim suit.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh boy.

Two set-completing abnormalities, and also a [!!!!!] fight.

It's gonna be interesting.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Quackles posted:

Oh boy.

What do you mean? We have only faced Big Bird so far as Binah and the Mizu’s.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Chaosbrain posted:

What do you mean? We have only faced Big Bird so far as Binah and the Mizu’s.

Oh.

I always thought Punishing Bird came first for some reason.

:lobcorp:

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
Speaking as someone who was found the idea of Myongest extremely boring, Myo on her own is a *lovely* piece of work, and both Quick Suppression and Concentrated Fire get oodles of mileage on her. Not Pinpoint Shot, though. That one really is just bad.

I'm not really fond of the Reindeer Key Pages at all, including Rudolph. Mind Strike and Mind Whip just don't cut it for me compared to Uncanny Strike, and Martina's not actively pushing herself towards death to do it. Uncanny Strike's ability to just punch right through high Stagger resistance modifiers for a bunch of Stagger damage at once is just too nice to give up. I do love using Rudolph as attribute fodder for a specific combo, though, to be discussed at a later date. ...not even that great, tbh, but it's funny to me.

Concentration's also fine, not sure what the issue there is. You toss one on basically any Charge character to get plenty of excess Charge for later thanks to that sweet, sweet cap of 20 the R Corp pages give, and to have emergency anti-Summation measures in your pocket.

As for the Liu cards, can confirm that Fiery Waltz is a solid Burn card overall. Also, I didn't use all of Chun and Miris's pages for fodder, so I did wind up using Flaming Dragon Fist. 'Tis good. Fervid Emotions is also nice, but sometimes you really just have a good use for a giant fuckoff die.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.

Quackles posted:

Oh.

I always thought Punishing Bird came first for some reason.

:lobcorp:

I guessed you thought as much, but you run into the problem of the Abnormality text provided is FOR Punishing Bird. Unless one way or another you mistook it for Judgement/Tall Bird.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Quackles posted:

Oh boy.

I am a simple man. I always vote for the largest number of !'s. Though at this point in the tier it looks like even the largest number of !'s won't be able to pose that much of a challenge.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Burning Flash gets to have fun with the gambler’s discard passive since that turns it into discard 1, draw 2. The only problem that runs into is that passive is pretty fiercely fought over what with the Thumb also able to swipe it and actual discard decks wanting it too.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Keldulas posted:

Burning Flash gets to have fun with the gambler’s discard passive since that turns it into discard 1, draw 2. The only problem that runs into is that passive is pretty fiercely fought over what with the Thumb also able to swipe it and actual discard decks wanting it too.
Ooo, that's good synergy. I feel like Burning Flash Kim's a really good use for it though, 11-16x2 for only 2 cost (1 cost if you use the light restore passive too) is a hard act to beat.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Nearly forgot! Rapid Gashes is another one of the more Slay The Spire-y cards in Ruina as well.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm hoping to see more of the prescript nonsense, it's been so long.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Evil Kit posted:

Dear thread,

There is one particularly punishing choice on the poll that simply must happen.

All the other poll choices are for the birds. But those birds aren't the bird.

You know what to do.

Inconveniently,

Evil Kit

I totally didn't vote for 5! option. Not at all. You can keep your activity going.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
How can I see the result of the poll?

Do I need a membership?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

That's the neat part, you don't!

Not until it's closed at least.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

How can I see the result of the poll?

Do I need a membership?
Pooll's closed due to AIDS vote manupulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Oh, does H Corp run Habbo Hotel then?