Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.
Final Stroke has always been just... conceptually disappointing to me. The second die's about as strong as it should be, the last die's great... but that first die just feels really unfortunate to me. You see most 3-cost 3-die pages having 5-9 rolls, so 6-7 just... isn't ultimately that big of a difference, but it really feels like it's there to lose clashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Doobeedoo posted:

Final Stroke has always been just... conceptually disappointing to me. The second die's about as strong as it should be, the last die's great... but that first die just feels really unfortunate to me. You see most 3-cost 3-die pages having 5-9 rolls, so 6-7 just... isn't ultimately that big of a difference, but it really feels like it's there to lose clashes.

I think it’s exactly that. When she’s fully loaded with discard passives (in the right order of course), Irina’s Final Stroke is probably one of the most reliably available 3 dice in the game. It’ll always be in hand, you’ll probably be clean of any debuffs to it, and you’ll always have enough light for it. You’ll never be caught out by a summation attack that you weren’t supposed to lose anyways. So it’s sort of like Kim where you have to accept that you’re going to take unavoidable damage on some attacks in exchange for being extremely reliable on others.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 1, 2023

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Pitch Perfect. And a good reminder that I was a fool to drag Shi association around with Netzach for the whole game...

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

CommunityEdition posted:

I think it’s exactly that. When she’s fully loaded with discard passives (in the right order of course), Irina’s Final Stroke is probably one of the most reliably available 3 dice in the game. It’ll always be in hand, you’ll probably be clean of any debuffs to it, and you’ll always have enough light for it. You’ll never be caught out by a summation attack that you weren’t supposed to lose anyways. So it’s sort of like Kim where you have to accept that you’re going to take unavoidable damage on some attacks in exchange for being extremely reliable on others.

Plus there is always the fact that quite a few cards lead with a Block, so just ram the underwhelming die into that and you take marginal stagger in exchange for a large counter-attack.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

DuoRogue posted:

btw is that second one supposed to be paul?

it sure was. fixed.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

it sure was. fixed.

Better Holler for Hod is quietly returned to the shelf of unaired spinoffs, where it will someday become the subject of a lost media podcast, and promptly gain enough traction in the hearts of the people to create the abnormality Her Shadowed Smile. Such is life in the city.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Dear GuestBusters,
feel you may have missed something to test in the Kaori myth of your recent episode: at no point in your attempt was Kaori subjected to any violence. Loathe as it is to suggest attacking your friend, is not percussive maintenance the "traditional manner" of dealing with psychological issues?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

jesus christ you utterly loving nailed every tonal detail and i'm mad about it

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

BassMug posted:

Better Holler for Hod is quietly returned to the shelf of unaired spinoffs, where it will someday become the subject of a lost media podcast, and promptly gain enough traction in the hearts of the people to create the abnormality Her Shadowed Smile. Such is life in the city.

:allears: I'd be here for three seasons of that podcast and an entire ARG-esque website recalling its trials and tribulations.

SO, here we are, SOTC Generals 2! There's some really fun stuff here: The Insurance crew are a weird but fun thematic for Discard, it's incredible that Yae looks so drat cool and Smoke continues to be very good (and see, I told you Smoke had a ODA / gold keypage), and Bayard helps bring a feral flair to the otherwise elegant vibes of pierce teams.

Absolutely golden update TeeQueue, I am so excited to see Paul back in action and filming again. :D
I do hope he felt a little better afterwards than he did going into it: He seemed a bit nervous at first, but they really nailed it despite the rest of the group being first-timers.

Pour one out for Grant, naturally.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 42: Xiao—Chapter 1

Music: Lobby

It's been a while since our last normal reception, huh?

Well, since we've had a very angry lady with horns growing out of her head wandering the hallways for around two realizations and change… we should probably check up on that.

VIDEO
Music: Ominous Ambiance

For some reason, neither guest gets highlighted when talking in this cutscene. I like to imagine this is because they're hiding somewhere bickering.

They've also both lost their titles. They're just Xiao and Miris now.

There has to be some reason you’ve done this, then… If your reasoning is unsatisfactory, know that there will be consequences to your actions!

Your battle will be nothing more than a messy scrape if you try to keep up in your current state, ma’am! You have to have realized it yourself!

Out of my way!!!

…Step aside. I am as composed as I can be.

You can’t even best your own subordinate right now, director. There is nothing composed about charging blindly into the fray and brandishing your sword like a madwoman…

They’re foes that we must destroy anyway! In fact, I would argue that it’s better this way, as I can firmly grasp my blade with an undaunted heart, unshaken by fear.

…Even if they were opponents that warrant such a fight, wielding your blade while you’ve lost yourself will only yield a pointless and juvenile revenge. They say anger is needed in order to face the enemy, but an excess of that emotion will ultimately hurt yourself. Fury shouldn’t be the only motivation to bestir oneself… I thought you knew this well, director. You’re the one who taught me that I’ll spill my own blood if I can’t see where the edge of my sword is pointed, after all…

I have no resolve to show to those who have taken what is mine. They had the nerve to make an offer where we must put our lives on the line to earn it back. Such absurdity.

Now tell me why I should treat them with any courtesy!

Even then!

Miris… I am aware. I know that the Library didn’t snatch Lowell and Section 2 away from us. I am well aware that they took a fair offer and made a bet, and paid the rightful price for losing it. But what can I do when I simply cannot bring myself to accept that? Was it truly done of their own volition?

Can anyone say with utmost certainty that no coercion was involved in their decision!

Whenever my mind was plagued with such thoughts, I couldn’t make rational judgement…

Is it because Chun and the other Fixers are dead? Is that why you’re acting like this?

You would be right. At first, I thought I only had to care about my own safety As long as I could get my hands on Lowell’s book… I decided that I wouldn’t care about my surroundings, even if that meant I would have no one to rely on once everything was over. But, as I saw my colleagues die out one by one, my mind began to waver…

Am I truly going down the righteous path? Is it truly right as a human being to think of myself, and only myself?

When the many of those who trusted me and followed me have perished, should I overlook their deaths and keep moving forward…?

If my selfishness is causing harm to others, shouldn’t I stop it before it’s too late? Shouldn’t I save those who still have a chance? If I had to make a choice, who should be putting up with the hardship? Is it you, or I?

Miris… Answer me. I’m no longer certain what I should put first.

Here’s what I can say, Xiao… None of the Fixers who followed you here were forced by anyone to do so, and I’m no different. There can’t be any compulsion about trusting you and willingly following your lead, now can there… Call it heartless, but as with everyone else… If it was your power that we were after, we would’ve left you once your authority faded.

You’ve stepped down from the Liu’s Section 1. You’re not in the position to pressure us anymore, and we aren’t obligated by any duty to obey you.

What you’re saying is that I can stick to my belief and move on, the same way you kept believing in me, and acted for me.

Like a cup of tea that maintains its good scent after half is gone, and a quarter of a day has passed…

…Xiao?

A warm and charming voice… almost as if it were out of this world…

What are you talking about? I don’t hear anything other than our own voices.

…What?

…You’re wrong. No, maybe there is truth to what you said…

Are you calling me selfish?

…No, I don’t think so.

…A human cannot live alone. No man is an island entire of itself. They need someone else… Yes. Someone whom I will keep alive. Someone who will become the reason for me to keep on living, no matter what…

Someone can be alive because I am there with them… As that person can live thanks to me, I myself should not expire. A way to protect you all and myself at the same time…

I shouldn’t die. By cherishing myself, I am cherishing the people around me… Therefore, what you’re saying… isn’t right. I won’t be deceived by your temptation…

…Yes. I suppose this is what you meant when you said a selfish mind shouldn’t be viewed negatively.

I’m sorry. I had let my own emotions overwhelm me and failed to lead you rightly.

This will be the last time I apologize to you and everyone else.

Miris… I’m still in the dark, and I cannot see ahead. I’m frankly afraid, and I might stray onto wrong paths sometimes. However, I trust myself to return to the proper way as I stoutly press onward. Just because I cannot see the way ahead, does not mean that a way doesn’t exist.

Music: Lobby

That certainly resembled E.G.O, although it was incomplete like Philip’s.

And she was mumbling to herself, but it sounded like she was talking to someone.

The voice we couldn’t hear, but Xiao could…

…Kinda like Abnormalities.

What do you mean by that?

I can hear some sort of voices whenever I borrow strength from the Abnormalities here. The other librarians can’t hear what I hear. The voice is only audible to one person. Sometimes, a voice filled with rage rings through my head, and other times I hear a sorrowful wail…

And my mind gets sorta… shaken… by those voices somehow. Listening to it sometimes makes me feel something is boiling up inside me, or cooling my head down all of a sudden.

In what way?

The voices you hear will only say whatever they want to say, one-sidedly. I’m sure there are exceptions, but most will probably behave that way. On the other hand, Xiao was talking with the voice. She was in a conversation with whispers that seemed to want something to happen to her.

Hmm… I’m not so sure. We don’t have solid evidence to prove that the voice was different just yet.

Anyhow… We’ve gotta receive her before anything. The problem is how we’re gonna deal with that figurative beast of a person…

Next time, on Library of Ruina: The difficulty curve is vertical.

Videos

Xiao 1

Did you catch that?

No? Is it something pointless again?

Those two were apparently just hanging around in the corridors, fighting, the entire time we were dealing with everything else. Something about it doesn't add up. Why didn't we see them?

Because they were upstairs, duh.

Then why aren't they books already? It's not like they're being subtle… And that voice. There's something going on here… I'm sure of it.

Uh-huh. Lemme guess, you're going to dig into it.

Yeah… given what we already know about the library… there's something else going on here. Make sure ImIdiot doesn't burn anything down again. I'll be out for a bit.

Kaaaay~

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

NullBlack posted:

Dear GuestBusters,
feel you may have missed something to test in the Kaori myth of your recent episode: at no point in your attempt was Kaori subjected to any violence. Loathe as it is to suggest attacking your friend, is not percussive maintenance the "traditional manner" of dealing with psychological issues?

In true MythBusters fashion, someone has also already managed to beat Mirae Insurance with solo-Gebura strats, proving the show wrong.

I'm imagining that Null_Mia has tried to hit the book with white weaponry at least once now, though. :v:

Kith posted:

jesus christ you utterly loving nailed every tonal detail and i'm mad about it

My wife and I actually marathoned a significant portion of Season 9 just before we went into the realizations in order to make sure that I had the tone on point in my head. This is the highest praise I could recieve.

I also didn't know that Grant was dead when I made this update, and I can't believe this is how I find out. :cripes:

:rip: to a real one.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

I like how Miris just has no comments about how Xiao is growing horns and scales or suddenly decked out in armor. Talking to herself? That's weird. Becoming a knight scalie? Meh, Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing how E.G.O. (though incomplete) performs in the hands of an actually kickass Fixer instead of a consummate quitter. Again, remembering Kali.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
And here we go: She refused. Which means the Librarians (and by extension the audience) are in for a TRIP, if all precedent of EGO-acquiring characters are anything to go by.

TeeQueue posted:

Yup that does indeed seem to be the case. :v:

I really like Xiao's character and tone a lot and I hope we get to see more of it as things go along: This is around where my knowledge from my playthrough fully 100% peters out as I had to shelf the game due to schedule changes and other stuff coming up earlier this year and haven't managed to get back around to it.

Your hard work doing all of this is deeply appreciated TeeQueue, doubly so with how fast those updates just came out back to back: Don't overwork yourself on it, I can't imagine the coming fights are going to be easy to play or the coming scenes easy to transcribe.

Also I am very sorry to hear that this is how you learned about Grant. :<

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
EGO-ing (Distorting?) is a conversation? :psyduck: And you can say no? Wait, now that I think about it, Oswald and… one of the Blue Reverb people mentioned that too, right?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Ariamaki posted:

Your hard work doing all of this is deeply appreciated TeeQueue, doubly so with how fast those updates just came out back to back: Don't overwork yourself on it, I can't imagine the coming fights are going to be easy to play or the coming scenes easy to transcribe.

Also I am very sorry to hear that this is how you learned about Grant. :<

I would prefer my life feel like it's a story worth listening to, so like... I'm not going to complain about another anecdote no matter how :negative: it feels in the moment.

Setting that aside, story updates just don't take nearly as long as like. Realizations. Or Abnormalities. The story fight will take a little longer than this, especially if a certain someone keeps throwing betas for their own LP at me instead of doing the goddamn polls. :colbert:

Seriously, it's a two minute game, who cares...

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Good to see Bishop back to his old nosy ways.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance: here we go :dance:

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

BassMug posted:

EGO-ing (Distorting?) is a conversation? :psyduck: And you can say no? Wait, now that I think about it, Oswald and… one of the Blue Reverb people mentioned that too, right?
Pluto tells Philip to listen to "her voice" just before he becomes the Crying Children, and then Oswald asks if Pluto also heard her voice because all three of them smell like Distortions. I'm not sure what it means, if it means anything, that Kali doesn't mention a woman's voice in her book, and Philip doesn't reference another party when he monologues/soliloquizes before his incomplete E.G.O.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It's worth noting that with every battle with a abnormality we've had big blocks of text in the backround, TeeQueue even makes a point to list them all out. Could this be related to the Ego's talking to you? I'm not sure on the metaphysics of all this.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

RandomReader posted:

Pluto tells Philip to listen to "her voice" just before he becomes the Crying Children, and then Oswald asks if Pluto also heard her voice because all three of them smell like Distortions. I'm not sure what it means, if it means anything, that Kali doesn't mention a woman's voice in her book, and Philip doesn't reference another party when he monologues/soliloquizes before his incomplete E.G.O.

drat, this is interesting poo poo. I love this series, man.

5MinuteButtermilk
Mar 5, 2014

Tombot posted:

It's worth noting that with every battle with a abnormality we've had big blocks of text in the backround, TeeQueue even makes a point to list them all out. Could this be related to the Ego's talking to you? I'm not sure on the metaphysics of all this.

I am pretty certain that those voices are the same ones Angela mentions here. They show up above librarian's heads when they use EGO as well as in the abnormality battle, and they match the description of only being capable of having a one-sided conversation about their personal hangup. What Oswald describes, and what we see here, seems to be much more cognizant.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

5MinuteButtermilk posted:

What Oswald describes, and what we see here, seems to be much more cognizant.

And judgy!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm still disappointed in everyone sadistic here who wants TQ to suffer.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
I always save this for last in my playthroughs due to its difficulty.

on the other hand, you all know what [!!!!!] means, and this happens to be my favorite in the entire game, and shoving tq into this is pretty funny....

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

quote:

Won't lie, mildly bemused/curious at this one. Ended up bungling my way through, so will be interesting to see how a more normal/competent(?) attempt will go.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Junpei posted:

I'm still disappointed in everyone sadistic here who wants TQ to suffer.
I didn't vote for it to make TQ suffer, but because I really like Xiao.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
TQ is going to do just fine taken that he has beaten the game before and does, in fact, know his way with cards to a degree. The suffering involved will be minimal I assure you :v:

Like, maybe if we had beelined this reception directly from the start of SotC without doing any of the other content, but even then I think he'd manage.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

TQ is going to do just fine taken that he has beaten the game before and does, in fact, know his way with cards to a degree. The suffering involved will be minimal I assure you :v:

Like, maybe if we had beelined this reception directly from the start of SotC without doing any of the other content, but even then I think he'd manage.

I would absolutely have managed.

I only have problems with the easy fights. :v:

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

TeeQueue posted:

I would absolutely have managed.

I only have problems with the easy fights. :v:

TeeQueue posted:

"I'm good at the game, I swear"

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

You will note I have not said "I'm good at this game, I swear" since Lobotomy Corporation.

This is because I play card games almost entirely by instinct, and while that instinct is incredibly good, sometimes I misread a situation and faceplant into an obvious trap that completely ruins me, see: Bloodbath.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

…sometimes I misread a situation and faceplant into an obvious trap that completely ruins me, see: Bloodbath.

And so Roland, professional violence man, got beat up by a violently depressed bath. So it all worked out for the best :P

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

BassMug posted:

And so Roland, professional violence man, got beat up by a violently depressed bath. So it all worked out for the best :P

Maybe that was just Zaida's natural resistance to going back to work

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I personally found LoR significantly harder than lobcorp on average. It is however much, much fairer.

GunJag
Aug 5, 2016
Yeah, honestly Ruina is fairer on the virtue of giving you as much time as you need to figure your stuff out in the first place. You can win half of the battle by running Lone Fixer + Mountain of Corpses Gebu- sorry, building a competent floor that has answers to the specific antics each fight pulls, whereas LobCorp’s endgame forces you to roll with the facility you have, for better or worse.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I really just wish there were more slots to save decks.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.

CommunityEdition posted:

I really just wish there were more slots to save decks.

theres a mod for that :V

but yeah, unless youre actively pruning older decks...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 42: Xiao—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Alright kids, fall in. We've got ourselves a former Section 1 Director, and she's manifested E.G.O.

Not to mention she has help… This is going to be a completely different ballgame from that Phillip guy.

That's what I'm hoping for.

Well, we'll just do the best we can.

Irina wasn't added in until after I'd finished the game originally, so I'm actually pretty excited to play around with it. I'm hoping that this deck strikes the proper balance between discard and Light generation. I'm also using Margin+Better Deal, so hand size should never be a problem.

Our opponents today are Xiao and Miris, both of whom have gained bigger numbers since our first encounter with them.

They also both have Shimmering now, meaning that we can expect them to continually play powerful pages every turn.

Music: GeburaBattle01

We shall walk this path together, Miris. …Tell me. Do you remember the last time you only had one person at your side?

As I recall, you sent Chun and I into a trap that was en route to the actual battlefield.

Yes… I had thought that the area was suspicious, and the two of you crushing them ensured our flank was secure.

They didn't make it easy. Shall we show them our strategy from that day?

Yes. Let's crush them with the strength of our bonds.

While we've seen most of the pages that Miris and Xiao use in this fight, there are two new ones that we have to look at. The first is Coordinated Assault. This page will give the other fighter 1 Strength alongside 2 Protection and Stagger Protection, making them incredibly resilient against attacks.

Fiery Dragon Slash is the other new page we're seeing this turn, and it's a basic offensive page with a Counter die that inflicts Burn. The two lead offensive dice are perfect for clashing Focus Spirit into, so we're going to do that.

Huh… I hate to say it, but we're definitely the bad guys this time.

Oh… it's you guys today?

Don't sound so enthused, there, pal~

We'll be keeping an eye on you from up here, since the enemy's emotions might make things unpredictable.

Sweet Pea? Well hell, I didn't realize you were back. Let's do this.

Wait… Chesed's team had people you liked in it?

Sometimes the bastard would steal good talent.

You always could have had better working conditions…

They come.

That sword… that stance… You were supposed to have disappeared ten years ago.

Yeah. I've been here the whole time.

Does this change anything, Xiao?

It doesn't. We knew we'd have to defeat anyone who got in our way.

Then I'll do just that.

Jeez..! These guys know how to put up a defense.

Only against you guys. Thanks for being one of the big targets, as always.

Don't mention it!

That Arbiter isn't here, and these four aren't using our tactics this time!

Miris! Take down the Rabbit! I don't want to deal with supporting gunfire!

…Something's off. He's a bit more resilient than one of R-Corp's pack should be.

Hope it was worth it.

Your teamwork isn't bad… but we've been working together a lot longer than you.

Unlikely.

I'm loathe to admit it, but these Librarians are a troublesome opponent.

We knew going in that they were able to use the abilities of their other guests, and their attacks and techniques are cobbled together from the best of all of them.

On top of that, they're able to hide their true forms using other ones… did you sense any other discrepancies?

No… Just the Rabbit.

Well, the battle is not yet lost. This place is not all-powerful.

So you've noticed something?

Our major threat page this turn is Miris's Flaming Dragon Fist, which BICEPS has something to deal with. Xiao's the one playing Coordinated Assault this turn as well, so our extra attacks are all directed at her.

There is a limit to how much this Library can replicate. The Red Mist, for certain, and that fixer with the open shirt… to say nothing of the actuary. They were powerful… and this place can't handle that much at once. That means… they must be cutting corners somewhere.

But their attacks are offensively identical to the source… So if it's not offensive prowess…

…Then they are fragile. The reason that they come in groups, the reason they cover for each other's weaknesses… the reason that one from before died so quickly. If they begin taking blows, they will quickly wither and burn.

Then if we overpower them even once… we'll win.

Give them your all.

You're no ordinary opponents… but overpowering us still isn't going to be easy.

Because of your ability to read our intentions, yes?

My, you are good.

You're still standing… I'm impressed.

Standing's what I do.

We'll see for how long.

Same to you. How're you holding up, Sorcrane?!

I'm holding! She's tough!

Just one slip… one error… I'll wait for my chance, and then…

You're going to be waiting a long time. We don't make mistakes!

You just have happy little accidents! Muah-

Shaddup.

If we just keep going… surely, an opening will come.

Yes… we'll just wait a little longer, to find that moment. Hold on, Miris.

My life isn't the important one, Director. I was already prepared to lay it down to protect yours.

Keep going. That's an order!

…Yes, ma'am.

Hey Gebs, looks like glasses there is the one doing that big protective move. He's on the backfoot—you've got this for sure.

That's what I like to hear. Okay, team: let's start wrapping things up!

Affirmative.

Uh… actually, BICEPS, you're looking a little beat up. You may want to-

I'll graze until there's nothing left. Same as always.

…Uh…

If he's chosen it for himself, there's not much else to do but hope…

Hope ain't worth much without action, Chesed. I'd think you'd know that by now.

Good thing we've got you to take the action, then~

Xiao..!

I'm on my way, Miris!

The hell you are!

Get out of my way!

Not how it works. I'm here to make space.

Your friend there won't hold her forever…

She doesn't have to. Just long enough…

Aren't you underestimating me..? Just one little crack… that's all I need…

And then I'll break through you!

I'll give you this: you're a lot more determined than most guests we see.

But it's time to pass on, now.

Dammit… Get out of my sight!

Blech! Sorc, watch your—!

Miris… You too, I'll carry your hopes on my back like the rest. I'll step forward…

And I will not stop until you're all put to the flame!

She hits like a truck and a half..!

Candles flicker brightest before they're out.

Music: GeburaBattle02

It looks like a hell of a candle… look out, everyone!

On this turn, Xiao is only playing two pages…

But they are very good pages. She's at Emotion Level 3 now, meaning she's got +1 Strength, +1 Offensive Power from Fervor, and +1 to the two dice on Fervid Emotions from her heightened Emotion Level.

I'll take on the brunt of it. You guys do what you can about the rest.

Yes, ma'am.

Yes… I think you're the right place to start.

Geez that's hot..!

Would you figure out how to block big attacks already, sis?!

Right... Right! I got it!

Y'know… nevermind, actually…

Your team is as a wheel, revolving around a singular fulcrum. So long as I crush the center, there's nothing to fear.

Hittin' a hell of a lot harder, all of a sudden…

Xiao's bonuses are high enough now to let her take clashes over Gebura's Infinity die and its +5 Power on clashes. It gets worse, though—Gebura's The Strongest + Myo's Prowess combo has one major flaw.

As for your speed… you rely on it to crush your enemies with a decisive first strike. That serves you well here, where you can read our intentions and find the correct places to strike.

But should your enemy be prepared, all your speed comes to naught!

Hell..!

The flaw is that it doesn't do anything against Counter dice. I didn't realize this, and Gebura winds up eating several Fervid Emotions counters right to the face. This leads to her being Staggered from full SR at the start of the turn, which triggers Xiao's Force of a Wildfire to give everyone else 5 more Burn.

If any single thing goes wrong in this phase, it can quickly cascade to deal a large amount of additional damage. This will become a theme—Tier 3 SotC receptions do not play around.

Gebura's on the backfoot, team. Give it your all!

Oh, I'm giving it!

You are as a wheel without an axle. Wobbling furiously for but a moment, before you all fall.

We're a bit more determined than that! Isn't that right, BICEPS?

…BICEPS?

…drat.

The 5 extra Burn sped up BICEPS's final moments—he had 7 HP, 6 Burn, and was Staggered already… so it's not like this wasn't inevitable. He did his job fine, though, so this is acceptable.

Goddammit, not this poo poo again..! No, wait, you never died before… So this is a new one, huh..? Hah… hahaha..!

Wait. This is…

It looks like you're falling apart even faster than expected.

Tenebrais has been pushed too far. Credentia, you should-

It's fine. I trust her. She's been working hard.

And anyways… we can't just rely on Gebura forever.

Haha… You talk about loss… about how much it hurts to be without. But even with nothing, you don't have a single problem carrying on. What… vanity!

I am here to reclaim the one I have chosen to protect. Don't even think to compare us.

Don't compare us?! Your boytoy's a book, bitch!

Without someone behind us, we're both hollow.

What in the..?!

Let me lament the emptiness…

Of tHIs hOllOw sHelL.

GoDdByE.

What the hell was that..?

No… I can't let it distract me.

anOTheR… No. No… one more would be-!

Tenebrais, you okay?!

I… need a minute! heLLo? No, I told you, shut up-!

We'll buy you all the time you need.

I see… so that power can't be borrowed without cost. You're desperate.

How are you still analyzing everything?!

Because I'm still looking forward. Step by step, I'm moving.

You're moving alright… right towards a cliff. You can feel it, can't you?

Pardon?

You've lost so much blood, and you've fired off all of your most powerful attacks. You've got one more push in you, at most. That's the longest you can last—and you have to know… You can't kill us.

Holy crap, I think you broke her.

Oh, you feeling better?

Once she hits 100 HP, Xiao is Staggered. She won't attack anymore, but none of our attacks can damage her any further either.

Yeah… that thing's a lot louder than the others.

I'm just glad we bought enough time.

I'm good to go too. Let's finish her off, before—

VIDEO
Music: None

You have all died. No one remains by my side. In here, you fought with me till the end… and perished. I feel lonely as a dragon soaring in the air, my heart heavy with regret.

I only see darkness. I can’t see a step ahead. Where must I go? Where does the courage to put one’s foot forward come from?

What did you believe in so firmly until your last moments? Was it the hope that we will emerge victorious… a strong leader… or the goal of earning the books…? I sadly won’t be able to hear your answers now.

You again. You’re one persistent conversationalist, are you not.

…I won’t collapse or succumb to fear out of the despair I brought onto myself. There’s nothing that a human… that I cannot overcome.

I believe that I will reach the ideal consequence if I remain steadfast and proceed with perseverance… I sincerely, ingenuously believe this.

Fear is born for there is hope, but bravery is born because there is fear…

Without all these, there is no life. And what is life without a reason to live… So why would I not bask in this sensation of vitality? I will still fight for my own sake. Not to disregard the colleagues who gave their lives for me.

…No. Rather, I would be disregarding their sacrifice if I gave up here because of what happened to them.

I don’t see myself ever agreeing with your words.

A lone tree cannot form a forest on its own, you say… An interesting tale.

For the first time, we get a transition that isn't a page-turn effect here—the scene burns away instead.

Music: GuestBattle01

Our second Act is against just Xiao, but she's got a few…

New…

Oh…

Maybe..?

Oh. :ohdear:

Oh we're screwed, huh?

Next time, on Library of Ruina: :supaburn:

Videos

Xiao Intermission 1

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 20, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Shimmering, a mountain of passives, a fuckton of HP, a deck that's almost exclusively high-power high-cost cards with a ton of counter dice (including TWO mass attacks!) and worst of all power nullification. All this right after a genuinely difficult SotC-tier fight that's hard enough to gently caress up the Red Mist.

Here comes a strong contender for the hardest fight in the game.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
BICEPS quickly building a personal gimmick of dying every fight, which is particularly funny on him :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Holy poo poo.