Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

NullBlack posted:

(an amazing piece of secret art)

BAH GOD THAT DISTORTION (probably didn't, actually) HAD A FAMILY!

Also I totally missed Yan's line on my playthrough about just how recently they'd joined the Index / become a Messenger. That's... honestly even more concerning for the quality of messages they've been delivering. It seems like others do this job for months or years at a time and don't ever snap, but Yan lost it completely within a matter of weeks?

...Which probably means Yan was specifically set up BY the Prescripts to break and Distort just in time to provide this challenge for the Library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Ariamaki posted:

BAH GOD THAT DISTORTION (probably didn't, actually) HAD A FAMILY!

Also I totally missed Yan's line on my playthrough about just how recently they'd joined the Index / become a Messenger. That's... honestly even more concerning for the quality of messages they've been delivering. It seems like others do this job for months or years at a time and don't ever snap, but Yan lost it completely within a matter of weeks?

...Which probably means Yan was specifically set up BY the Prescripts to break and Distort just in time to provide this challenge for the Library.
Delivering the Prescripts isn't what broke Yan, Gloria says that Yan has fulfilled a lot of prescripts throughout his life, and he even says that he despised them before he got the Messenger job. He was already disgusted by what the Prescripts made him do, turning him into a Messenger just gave him the means to "rebel," which provided a good intro "you never had free will" mindfuck to segue to the greater "the Prescripts are a god of the City, and all the horrible poo poo you've done is an interpretation of the desires of everyone." If you want to reach for a connection, it's not actually clear if Yan was ever a Proselyte before becoming a Messenger, i.e. he was never trained to become totally subservient to the Prescripts before being made something of an executive officer.

Also, yeah, Yan being set up by the Prescripts to do exactly what he's been doing was the entire point of the reveal that the Proxies knew his Prescripts were forgeries.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

NullBlack posted:

don't know what you're talking about; the whole crew is there. (Also, TeeQueue's gone into fights with just one nugget before. Granted, it was Steve, but still)

WE JUST CLEANED THAT FLOOR YOU DRIPPY BASTARD.

...what? Last time, we only brought her to the fight; maybe we needed to involve her.

:five: :allears:

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022

NullBlack posted:

don't know what you're talking about; the whole crew is there. (Also, TeeQueue's gone into fights with just one nugget before. Granted, it was Steve, but still)

...what? Last time, we only brought her to the fight; maybe we needed to involve her.

You’re right. I don’t know how I could have possibly been so mistaken!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NullBlack posted:

:discourse:

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

NullBlack posted:

Lmao I love it. (Also noticed the jpg file name and it had me rolling)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
:five:

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!
You know, I have a theory as to why the head doesn't like AI: because they view it as a potential solution to capitalism (and thus, the suffering) within the city. Think about it: AI is mass-produceable, and can easily fill human jobs, but if they fill human jobs then people either no longer have that method to survive and may look at more desperate measures (like fighting the head), or people need to be paid a UBI to keep them from thinking about government overthrow, which again stops the gears of the suffering machinefrom turning and also gives people a lot of free time to consider overthrowing the head anyways for fun and profit. AI is banned for the same reason that guns are taxed: it's too easy, the suffering is the point. (Not trying to make a commentary on AI in real life btw, since that's becoming more of a thing)

I think Angela both did and did not do anything wrong; stealing the seed of light, given all the knowledge we know about it, was a bad move, and was a wrong thing she did; so in that regard, Angela did something wrong. However, as can be seen by the amount of people defending her, her actions aren't inhuman; in fact they're a very human reaction that it seems like most people would do if they were in her specific scenario. If anyone would have done it in her shoes, does it make sense for her to be blamed? Laws like self defense seem to believe that if any reasonable person would have done the same, they didn't actually do anything wrong in the eyes of the law (forgive me if I'm using a really simplistic view of law). The fun argument here is that if any reasonable person would have done it, does it really count as free will? You breathe not of your own free will unless you explicitly will yourself not to breathe, and in this case, I wonder if her stealing the seed of light is similar; wouldn't any reasonable person in that scenario feel an immense amount of spite and lash out for their due compensation? That ultimately ties back into the current theme: did Yan ever actually have free will if ultimately an outside party was able to predict and plan around everything he did? Did Angela have free will when she stole the seed of light?

Sorry if this sounded really stupid, I just had a bunch of connected thoughts and wanted to share them, and also sorry if this dredges angela discourse back up.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

DimiPZC posted:

You know, I have a theory as to why the head doesn't like AI: because they view it as a potential solution to capitalism (and thus, the suffering) within the city. Think about it: AI is mass-produceable, and can easily fill human jobs, but if they fill human jobs then people either no longer have that method to survive and may look at more desperate measures (like fighting the head), or people need to be paid a UBI to keep them from thinking about government overthrow, which again stops the gears of the suffering machinefrom turning and also gives people a lot of free time to consider overthrowing the head anyways for fun and profit. AI is banned for the same reason that guns are taxed: it's too easy, the suffering is the point. (Not trying to make a commentary on AI in real life btw, since that's becoming more of a thing)
AI isn't illegal, AI in the shape of a human is illegal, both mentally and physically. We haven't seen many, if any, non-human-resembling AI in either lobotomy corp or Ruina that wasn't an abno and kinda didn't count, but I think a robot dog turned up in Distortion Detective, and an Angela fork was tooling around in the branch facility of Wonderlab. Non-human-resembling AI might still be strictly regulated, like guns, but they aren't wholly illegal like human-resembling AI. As for AI eliminating suffering, Angela proves you can still torture a machine so that's out. The Head has a particular definition of what a human is, and anything that tries to muddy that water gets either kicked out of the city, or out of existence.

quote:

I think Angela both did and did not do anything wrong; stealing the seed of light, given all the knowledge we know about it, was a bad move, and was a wrong thing she did; so in that regard, Angela did something wrong. However, as can be seen by the amount of people defending her, her actions aren't inhuman; in fact they're a very human reaction that it seems like most people would do if they were in her specific scenario. If anyone would have done it in her shoes, does it make sense for her to be blamed? Laws like self defense seem to believe that if any reasonable person would have done the same, they didn't actually do anything wrong in the eyes of the law (forgive me if I'm using a really simplistic view of law). The fun argument here is that if any reasonable person would have done it, does it really count as free will? You breathe not of your own free will unless you explicitly will yourself not to breathe, and in this case, I wonder if her stealing the seed of light is similar; wouldn't any reasonable person in that scenario feel an immense amount of spite and lash out for their due compensation? That ultimately ties back into the current theme: did Yan ever actually have free will if ultimately an outside party was able to predict and plan around everything he did? Did Angela have free will when she stole the seed of light?

Sorry if this sounded really stupid, I just had a bunch of connected thoughts and wanted to share them, and also sorry if this dredges angela discourse back up.
"Anyone would have done the same" isn't an actual defense, otherwise bloodfeuds would be legal.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 5, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah self-defence isn't "anyone would have done the same" it's "if you hadn't done this you probably would have died."

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah self-defence isn't "anyone would have done the same" it's "if you hadn't done this you probably would have died."

Or at least "you had enough cause to believe you were in danger of injury"

Usually "anyone would have done the same" doesn't work in courts, oddly :P

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

RandomReader posted:

AI isn't illegal, AI in the shape of a human is illegal, both mentally and physically. We haven't seen many, if any, non-human-resembling AI in either lobotomy corp or Ruina that wasn't an abno and kinda didn't count, but I think a robot dog turned up in Distortion Detective, and an Angela fork was tooling around in the branch facility of Wonderlab. Non-human-resembling AI might still be strictly regulated, like guns, but they aren't wholly illegal like human-resembling AI. As for AI eliminating suffering, Angela proves you can still torture a machine so that's out. The Head has a particular definition of what a human is, and anything that tries to muddy that water gets either kicked out of the city, or out of existence.

If I remember the laws correctly, you're thinking of two different laws there.

1: Things that are not human can't look human. So prosthetic limbs/bodies that you can mistake for biological are right out.
2: Specifically nonhuman beings with their own will/thoughts are illegal. So the dog's fine, it's just an automated killbot that takes commands. If that dog could have a conversation, make its own decisions? It's illegal.

Uh, remembering right... Yeah, Roland talks about it after Hook Office.

quote:

At some point, intelligent or sapient beings that weren’t human were actively driven out of the City into the Outskirts.

I’m not too sure why it took place, but the Artificial Intelligence Ethics Amendment was introduced as part of that movement… It was already possible to create machines capable of feeling emotions and desires, actually. Those that are… pretty much human, in other words. I guess that was the problem. Thanks to the AI Ethics Amendment, no machines could ever be made to resemble humans, including replacement bodies.
Or maybe the laws I'm thinking of are just one law? You can't resemble humans if you're not human, which includes not just the body but the mind too.

Doobeedoo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 6, 2023

DimiPZC
Jul 29, 2020

The very bestest!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Yeah okay I tried to get too philosiphical and ended up with egg on my face. Ignore me :D

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I wouldn't be surprised if the laws of the City were purposefully contradictory and confusing.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Angela's defense theory is that she's a good girl who did everything right.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

KobunFan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the laws of the City were purposefully contradictory and confusing.

Crack theory: Turns out, there are Singularities who works by having the most people being miserable and that's why the Head is so powerful.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 44: 얀샋 ㄷ요무—Chapter 2

:siren: Music: Children of the City

Hey, hold on a second… weren't we supposed to be handling this guy? He didn't come out like he was supposed to.

There wasn't any chance to review the data either…

This kiddo must be really devoted to upholding those prescripts, huh.

Receive a Prescript… and carry it out.

Gah..!

Not good. Those punches are powerful, and we're at our weakest… I can't think of a way out of this one.

Hold on… let me think here. Prescripts, prescripts… What's the prescript he's talking about now?

He said for us to "Receive the guest before you."

Then in that case, maybe—

Now, it's your turn.

Hahaa..!

Kaori! You're awake!

...So we did need to attack the book after all…

Are you feeling better?

Mmm… a liittle..? But with such an iinteresting enemyy… and such busted paages..! I was mooving before I knew it..!

Well, at least you're still dressed for battle. But if nothing can be done, we're still in a bind…

Excuse me! Dear guest!

I'm really very sorry, but you need to stop for a moment.

I'm carrying out my Prescript, as is my purpose.

Ah, that's true, but this is about 'our' prescript. You asked them to receive you, correct?

That is correct.

Unfortunately, a couple of steps have been skipped. You've done nothing wrong, but that determination of yours appears to have overwhelmed the normal procedures. If we keep going, we'll have broken the request on that little piece of paper.

I understand. Prescripts are to be followed, without exception. Perform the necessary preparations. You have five minutes.

Ah, yes yes. We'll certainly do that~ Thanks, dear guest.

Impressive.

You get used to it if you deal with the Index at all. We're just lucky I could think of a hole in the prescript to exploit…

We won't waste the opportunity. Thanks.

Music: GuestBattle01

I'll get right to woork… You guys examine things, and shout if you seee anything..!

It looks like it'll use some kind of super-attack if we take too long..?

얀샋 ㄷ요무, or Distorted Yan as I'll be calling him from here forward, is mostly a support unit. Outside of that Distorted Blade his passives warn us about he's not going to deal much damage on his own.

His hands serve as the primary form of offense for most of the fight. They're immune to being Staggered and they cannot be defeated on their own, but if we deal enough damage they'll turn off for a while.

Aand… doone..!

It's a ruush job… but I'm sure it'll work fiine..! Fraankly… It might be tooo strong… I looked at the swoord that guy can use, though… And I've balanced around thaat…

If it can protect you all, I'll use it well.

So what about the rest of us, kiddo?

Mmm..! I just tweaked some existing stuuff… It normally takes waay more than five minutes to make even oone deck..! I just eyeballed most of the oother ones..!

And we're a… support character. Great.

We're aall basically supports today..! Once Yesod hits the field, you'll seee…

We did the best we could with the time we had. All we can do now is our best.

Let's get it done, kiddos!

Music: Children of the City

Time is up. Preparations have been made. Now, let us fulfill the Prescripts.

We've done what we can. From here forward, it's up to us!

Just look out for those prescript things… it seems like he's weaving them without realizing it.

Much like an Abnormality Battle, Distorted Yan has text that appears on the screen over the course of the reception.

Distorted Yan posted:

To …. Pack a lunchbox and consume it on top of a trash can in the streets of District 11 at 1 PM today.

To …. Bake dacquoise while the hour hand rests between 7 and 8, and eat it while watching a movie.

To …. Initiate a game of Never Have I Ever with the first five people you encounter. When one folds a finger, break it.

To …. Neatly clip the nails of the sixty-second person you come across.

To …. Pet quadrupedal animals five times.

To …. Spin a wheel and throw a cake at the person determined by the result.

To …. Consume eight crabs stored at room temperature and ripe persimmon at once.

To …. At the railing on the roof of a building, shout out the name of the person you dislike, then jump off. The height of the building does not matter.

To …. After a meal, discard all dishes that were used to serve it.

To …. On the morning after receiving the Prescript, drink three cups of water as soon as you get up.

To …. Race against residents that live in the same building as you to District 7. Measure the distance every twenty-three minutes and disqualify the one farthest away from the destination.

To …. Within three days, knit a scarf with a butterfly pattern.

To …. Dial any number. Give a New Year’s greetings and words of blessing to whoever receives the call.

To …. See green from a white wall.

To …. When hungry, consume a Cheeki’s cheeseburger with added onion.

To …. Fold thirty-nine paper cranes and throw them from the rooftop.

To …. At work, cut the ear of the first person to fulminate against you.

To …. When your eyes meet another person’s, nod at them.

To …. Return to your home this instant. You may leave once a dog barks in front of your house one time.

To …. Wear light green clothing and take 10 steps in a triangle-shaped alley.

For the first phase of the fight, Distorted Yan does the same three moves over and over.

Two of them, Protect and Attack, target his hands. These moves will give the hand they target 3 Protect or 3 Strength for the turn if we don't redirect them to ourselves.

The third page, Vigil, targets our allies. It turns off Power entirely for the target for the entire turn—this works both for the target's dice as well as the dice of anyone who clashes with them. It is vitally important that we never allow Distorted Yan to target Yesod with this move.

Our Librarians can change the target of any of these attacks by redirecting them as normal, but the 20-30 Evade dice mean that he's almost definitely going to win any clashes against us, generating a decent amount of Negative coins in the process. Overall our priority is to always take Attack off of the hands, then take Vigil if it's on Yesod, and finally to remove Protect if we have speed dice left over—3 Protect is much less of a problem than anything else, especially given that we can just target the other hand right now.

The last important thing to notice about Distorted Yan is that sword underneath him. It's a countdown to his first use of Distorted Blade, and effectively our time limit for this phase—that attack is something we don't want to see if we can avoid it.

As for the hands, both of them are using a copy of Flurry of Fists. We'll be seeing one of these per hand every turn of this fight, and while the dice aren't particularly powerful the damage from their on-hit effects will stack up if we just ignore them.

The Left Hand is using Giant Fist, which has a giant die that deals True Damage a la Transpierce, alongside a block die and a decent Counter die as well.

The Right Hand, meanwhile, is using Compress. This Blunt page will inflict us with both Paralyze and Feeble next turn, effectively neutering one of our Librarian's rolls for the next turn if it gets through.

The hands each have one dead speed die on the first turn. This gives us exactly 1 turn to set-up and prepare to ramp before we start needing extra dice to handle increased pressure. Key pages with a base Light of 4 have an advantage here just because it's easier on our early game Light curve.

It looks like he doesn't quite have control over those hands yet, sir.

He did just transform, after all… It makes sense.

I wouldn't think too deeply about it. Just take advantage of the situation.

That isn't how we do things around here.

Even if we can't understand everything about our enemy, there is information we can glean. Little by little, we'll build up our understanding.

There is no need to understand. The Prescripts already know all. We need only to follow.

Geez… this kid's making it kind of hard to see with all the ink…

Maybe if we attack from behiind..?

Noope…

So we can't get positional advantages…

Have those ever worked..?

No! But a full guard is still good, it seems.

And attacks to the main body just get dodged effortlessly… We've found an interesting opponent.

No blow shall reach me until the prescripts say they may.

We think we're starting to hate interesting opponents.

Ah, it's all good. We'll get through it somehow.

Because of the enemy's strong dice numbers and our being forced to clash against massive 20-30 Evade dice, our team will generate more Negative Emotion Coins than normal, which throws a wrench into any plans that rely on +1 or +2 zone Abnormality Pages. Luckily for us, we're playing Yesod and Rhythm is pretty good.

So, what have we determined?

His right hand is all wrong.

Elaborate.

Look at them.

Whenever dealing with a hand in that position, the thumb should be pointed on the inside. Yet, it's on the outside… a carbon copy of the left hand.

Does it mean anything?

Probably not. We'll look for something else.

I noticed that he's not too skilled with those hands yet. Maybe that's why? I know if you yanked my thumb to the wrong side, it'd take me a few to figure it out.

So it's in our best interests to end this battle quickly.

On this turn, the Left Hand uses a new page, Baleful Brand. This page will inflict Erosion with its second die, which will add more damage whenever we get hit from then on.

I can regrettably only pull off Attack this turn as well, and with Defend targeting the Right Hand my continuing assault on it will be somewhat blunted. This'll probably be fine, our main goal here is to prevent ourselves from taking too many hits anyways. This phase gives us enough time that we don't really need to rush.

Since we can't touch him directly right now, focus on whittling down his hands. An opportunity may show itself.

Easy for yoou to saay…

Because Giant's Fist is such a giant die, we'll frequently be using our Block dice to try and reduce damage from it, rather than trying to negate it entirely. Emotional Turbulence is very good here, because of its Counter die being a decent enough Block to cut down the damage.

Yet again… such strikes will never reach me.

Huh… I see what you're doin' here, kiddo. An interesting trick, but easy enough to stop.

There's a trick to it? Please, explain!

These hands, they're connected to him by a chain. You'd think they let him move 'em around like he's doing, right kiddo?

Indeed. They're somewhat troublesome!

Thing is, the chains can be pulled both ways. As long as they're intact, he'll be able to make those crazy dodges. Just like a puppet on a string… It's that simple, kiddo.

So in the end, 'destroy the hands' was the correct plan from the start.

Then it would appear that we have something to work towards. Let's handle things, team.

Our plan for now is more of the same. I've finally managed to get everyone's hands filled with low-cost pages, giving me enough options to draw all of Distorted Yan's counters off of his hands. Yesod also finally draws into Unlock, about two turns too late to be really useful in this battle.

It's still just fine for pulling a counter off, though.

I can understand why you gave in when you did… but I can't support it.

There was nothing more to consider. I have seen the truth behind the Prescripts. Understood that my actions are the will of the City itself.

Assuming that the pendulum isn't controlled by something else, of course. There's no proof that there's no sleight of hand with the vibrations, or perhaps even the looms themselves performing a bait-and-switch. All I would have come away with were more questions.

Why should I disbelieve what I see with my own eyes?

We think that if it causes you to become some weird gauntlet-puppet-loom, you've lost the thread somewhere.

There's something to be said for simply following orders, though! That is ultimately the purpose of many… humans. Where I am from.

Mmm…

You disagree?

Sometimes, you have to follow oorders… but that doesn't mean you liike it..!

I suppose that's true. It's always a bit different when you enjoy what you're doing!

This is why I am so powerful. My orders shall become my will.

That's not quiite the same thing… You just stopped thinking about what yoou want…

The last of the Hands' moves is Lock, a move which unexpectedly does not lock one of our speed dice on the next turn. It's just a big ol' hit that can cancel out a third die on our page if it hits us.

My own will is but an extension of the City's. There is no need for pondering on pointless things.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone here will ever agree with you on that.

And yet, you are bound to a will that is not your own, just as you claim I am.

Perhaps. Still, I've not surrendered my ability to think for myself.

After using Unlocked 2, Yesod's hit Blade Unlocked status for another +1 Power. He's just about completely ready now.

I think I brooke this one..!

Splendid work, human friend! I shall double-tap, just to make certain.

…Ah! Well, nevertheless.

While the hands are disabled after they're reduced below 30 HP, they still take any remaining actions they have that turn. We can't just ignore them like we can with most normal enemies.

Fiinally..! I can feeel it..!

It's the same Forsaken Murderer as always… these bindings will only slow us down.

For the reest of us… Just try it oout..!

Ah. I think I understand.

Restraints only make this setup unstoppable.

Chained Wrath forcibly sets all of Yesod's speed rolls to 1. The Strongest makes all of Yesod's lowest speed dice into infinity speed. Myo's Prowess gives +5 Power if we're 10 or more Speed ahead of our opponent.

This is the most common endgame build for Yesod's floor, and it's exactly as overpowered as it sounds.

Anyways, now that both of his hands have been immobilized, Distorted Yan enters his blocking phase. In this mode, the only page he can play is Endure, which is a bunch of middle-sized Block counter dice. This is our invitation to pour on the damage, and we need to do so quickly.

This is because Distorted Blade will come out next turn if he's not Staggered.

You're not looking so untouchable now, and our dear mummy's on a whole other level. Having second thoughts, kiddo?

We think that would imply he had a first thought. When all he's doing is enacting prescripts, we're not sure it applies.

There is no reason for doubt. This path is the one I must walk.

The idea that one must do something reprehensible… I'm familiar with it.

Ultimately, I can only be thankful that my conclusion and yours were different. I don't intend to turn my eyes from the sacrifices of our way of life any longer.

Sacrifices which were meant to be. If the City wills it, any one of us is allowed to die at any time.

Smoke's on. Try not to breathe too deeply, kiddos.

Bit by bit… your motions and the strikes you deal make the earth move…

Those motions… the Prescripts can feel them as well. Your Library is part of the City, the same as any other.

His loom's weaving something!

It's been doing that this entire time, hasn't it?

This one feels important!

To Yan Vismok…

...unsheathe your sword and hold nothing back.

Thaat's… ominoous…

The hands are moving again!

At least they seem weaker than before.

Now that we've reduced him to below 301 HP, Distorted Yan has moved to his final phase. In this phase he will use Distorted Blade every other turn, and the hands are back—alongside Distorted Yan's absurd 20-30 Evade dice.

Distorted Blade is the main threat here, however. Its roll is a wide enough margin to be either completely free, or incredibly difficult to block—our average 3-cost is only likely to hit mid to upper 20s, so a 33 could simply crush almost all of our pages without issue. The hands, meanwhile, likewise begin using Lock and Banishing Blade much more often. We're on a timer: we have to blitz Distorted Yan down before the damage overwhelms us.

But this is Yesod's floor, so that's very possible.

Remain focused until the work is done. I don't want to see any of you leaving here in a bodybag.

At the whim of the great will of the City, we all move. Some are chosen to thrive. Others are chosen to die. That simply is.

"Chosen to die…" Don't you feel anything about that anymore?

Only the City's will matters. Only the Prescripts. It was all meant to be.

I see. So you choose not to acknowledge it.

The rest of you, focus on the left hand. The right should be finished in a second.

It is not I who am running from the truth of things.

Yesod and Null_Mia rolled a 25, but Yan hits a 26 on his Mass Attack and most of my team takes incredible damage due to a lack of Slash resistance. That's Distorted Yan's last phase in a nutshell. :rolldice:

This Abnormality yearns to give last rites to those exploited by the system, even beyond their death.

That would make you an ideal target for its E.G.O.

Infinity Yesod here is actually the ideal user of Solemn Lament. It has a base 1-6 Blunt die, which Chained Wrath boosts to 2-9. This is then given +5 from our Infinity Speed, +1 from Blade Unlocked, and +1 from Rhythm, for a total of 9-16, eight times, each hit dealing an additional 3 HP or SR damage as well. This gives it an absurd amount of damage potential, easily enough to blast through one of the Hand's HP in an instant.

Yesod's floor is :hellyeah: incarnate.

He can also tie a Giant Fist's initial attack with a Wedging Thorn.

We're starting to get what Kaori meant about us all being supports.

Ehh, Yesod's earned a chance to shine. He's always so busy helping us. Just wish I had a bit more energy to pull off moves.

I think we were supposed to help with that.

Hahaa… back to the drawing board theere, too…

She's been knocked for a loop and still thinking about it. I guess after finding a "human friend," she's focusing on this for now.

Well, we should keep her from dying. The alien, too.

Alien?!

Inside joke, kiddo. Don't worry about it.

Castigation will take care of Giant's Fist here, so I really just need to focus on defense for the remainder of the turn.

The arrow spaghetti makes it easy to miss tiny things that we shouldn't have, though. Can you spot the error I made here? :ssh:

I'll admit it: I don't know what that voice said to you.

The voice..? Ah. She said only the truth.

Its version of it, anyways.

Still… Running away from what you've done, calling it all the "will of the City," and absolving yourself of responsibility…

Ultimately, I can't see it as anything other than desperation.

The Prescripts are truth.

Only because they're given belief on such a grand level.

There is no purpose in fighting them. The City's will is my own will. Wherever I saw us differing, I was simply incorrect.

It's that simple… it's always been that simple. Free will… that is the myth. Acknowledging that is the only way I can live within this City.

Crap… One got through-!

I can't fight the City's will. It's folly to try. All I can do is step on the path laid out for me… and that is enough.

We pick up Clean here, to give Yesod another +3 on all his offensive die rolls, forever. It's exactly as useful as it sounds.

Hey, boss. We're in a pinch here…

Null_Mia's done for, and I'm in a pickle if I don't block that blade!

If it hits us, then Kaori would likely be the only one able to act…

And he's trying to get both hands back online at once. Kaori?

There's no waay… It's too slanteed…

Then I suppose it's all down to this.

When both of the hands are defeated, we get a turn in which Distorted Yan will either use Distorted Blade + one of each Repair page, or else will use two Repair and one Repair All. If one hand is down he'll also frequently try and Repair it to get it back into the fight, so it's vital that we take advantage of this opportunity to deal damage to Distorted Yan while we can.

Now… let us see who the Prescripts have chosen as the victor.

Before that… I think we're due for a change of scenery.

D.A.D's E.G.O will ensure that they survive this attack no matter what, and Kaori's roll is also high enough to have survived no matter what Distorted Yan got.

But ultimately, Yesod still had to get a little lucky and T.Hinman's 25 falls flat before a 30, costing us two Librarians in one fell swoop.

I suppose it was too optimistic to think we could win without sacrifices…

It was the will of the City. There is no need to suffer under the pain any longer.

Maybe… but I'd rather feel it when it hurts.

Even a killer headache has its purpose, you know.

…And that's that.

So it is. We lost good people today.

Alien buddyy…

Just… head back and get to work on cleanup, okay?

We made this fight significantly harder than it needed to be, simply by doing it as intended. There are a number of ways to make this fight easier, and while most of them require resources we don't have yet bringing anyone with resistance to Slash damage would have been great here. Since I didn't do that, the last portion of the fight became a damage race, but… Yesod.

Music: Result

drat… that one hurt. We were looking forward to making it through.

Yes, it is a shame when a soldier dies right at the end of a flawless combat!

Flawless..? If you say so.

What even waas that light curve..? And how three of us briicked…

You okay there, kiddo?

Of course noot..! With this quality of deeck… the only reason we've woon is because everyone else is uuseleess..! Come oon, buddy..!

Wagh! What are we doing..?

Making something that actually woorks…

Well, at least it doesn't look like she'll be going back to sleep anytime soon.

Any reason to wake up in the morning is fine enough, in the end.

Hey, boss. Miss Angela's—

I know, I'm heading over. Just… wanted to temper the bitterness with something a little more mellow.

Your work was helpful as well, Roland. If not for your quick thinking…

I just took care of the problem as best as I could.

Music: Lobby

Beats me. The Prescripts look like they see several steps ahead, so it might as well be. Though, boy, what did that Yan guy endure and struggle so much for? He risked death forging Prescripts trying to express his free will…

But that was ultimately part of the Prescripts… The will of the City, as he put it.

Yep. After all, this is the fate those Prescripts led him to.

You said earlier that there are good things to be said about them, Roland.

That I did. ‘Cause they’re still part of the City.

While I am still not completely convinced, I can understand it somewhat. Life as a human, never wanting for anything… What is the reason “gods” of the City emerged? Why do people wish for them to exist, even as they suffer? I tried to think from those people’s perspectives. The perspective of someone without a purpose to live. How I would act in their shoes.

What’s your conclusion?

“I’m different.” “I’ll seek out a way on my own.”

It’s much easier said than done. They won’t truly realize what they’re talking about until they’re put in such a situation themselves.

So they can’t be viewed all that badly?

Correct. I’ve decided against painting them in an excessively negative light. That still doesn’t mean I fully understand them, however.

Although, I am curious about what you just mentioned as well. I must wonder what Yan’s actions and the consequences to them were trying to show.

Those Prescripts sure are an enigma… And this whole Distortion business… It’s scary how the process can be so simple.

That demonstration made it clearer. It appears that the breakdown of a belief one firmly held can serve as a catalyst for the Distortion.

Exactly. That’s the scary part. It’s what happens all the time in the City. Though someone did explain to me why people aren’t distorting left and right pretty clearly. Either way… This left a bitter taste in my mouth, just like that other time.

And so, at long last we've finished with the far left branch as well. Distorted Yan and Xiao are considered the two biggest roadblocks of Star of the City, so it should all be downhill from here—especially with the powerful pages from those two fights now in our hands.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Finally, she sprinkled cinnamon powder—her favorite—and clutched the pumpkin in her arms."

"Time flows as life does, and life goes as time does."

That color is waiting here.

And the singularity is here, as well. There's no rush.

Videos

얀샋ㄷ요무 2
VS 얀샋ㄷ요무 (Unedited combat footage; may cause distortions. Watch at own risk.)

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

얀샋ㄷ요무 Exclusive:

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 11, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Also, short update: I'm currently out of state so while I'll be doing the usual appendix update like normal (since that's easy as hell), I won't be able to get any more footage until I'm back home, give or take a day as 14 hour drives kill my spine.

Sooo... see you guys in a week plus the time it takes to write an update!

Yggdrasi
Jan 23, 2020
Children of the City is probably my favorite Mili song of the game seriously listen to it if you haven't

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

Sooo... see you guys in a week plus the time it takes to write an update!

Take all the time you need :D

Also, Pumpkin Spice abnormality!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
So, Children of the City. This is my personal favourite song in the game, just edging out Xiao's Iron Lotus. Not just because of the smooth synth grooves, but also because it's so full of meaning. Wheras Xiao's song was about her feelings going into a fight she is going to lose, something you could probably have gleaned from the text as-is, Children of the City is something completely new - it's basically the only place where Yan's backstory is laid out.

quote:

Sleep for a total of 800 hours per day
And then drink a liter of milk, warm-up before you go play
Only eat, or write or pull the trigger with your right hand
Only thing that's left is to work on following commands
Prescripts. Impossible, nonsense ones - there aren't nearly enough hours in a day for 800 hours of sleep and drinking a full liter of milk is insanity - but these all sound like commands one would give to a child, which implies that Yan grew up in Index-controlled territory. I'll note that "pull the trigger" is part of this series of commands, which fits with how Yan describes that he had "learned to fight before I knew love or bitterness of coffee" later on in the song. Even as a child he'd already bloodied his hands, likely at the command of the Prescript.

quote:

By the time you realize, you'll be restrained to a desk
And with your dreams on the floor you comply, eyes chained to the test
Yan throws away his dreams and becomes part of whatever public education system the Index run in their territories to comply with whatever the Prescripts want him to be. I'm also told it's possibly a reference to a Distortion that shows up in Distortion Detective.

quote:

In 30 minutes, find a groom or bride, bonus if brunette
In 90 hours, spill their insides, paint your room picturesque
Yan mentions that he'd known love later on in the song, which this bit here implies didn't end happily. Likely because of the Prescripts, which brought him love then cruelly snatched it away shortly afterwards. I'll also note that Moirai is a brunette.

quote:

Now it's time for another vendetta
Going through the shelves, picking out my pre-written persona
The Prescripts tell Yan who he has to be, he can't be his own person.

quote:

Children of the city see only the neon stars
Reflected upon the murky gutter sky
Don't ask me why I desperately wish to be included in the city's night
Yan probably grew up on the streets or just generally in poverty, judging by the "murky gutter sky" lyric, but he also grew up seeing the lives of his supposed betters - and only the good parts of their lives. Now, looking back at that wish with the dread knowledge he now has, he can only wonder why he'd ever wanted that at all.

quote:

In four hundred thousand meters, turn right
Another Prescript. Maybe referring to the directions Yan recieved that led him to the Precript room?

quote:

Pick up a knife and stab a familiar warm body
Yan is forced to kill someone close to him, whether this is the groom or bride mentioned earlier or a family member (whose death likely would have resulted in him living on the streets if they were his guardian).

quote:

Learned to fight before I knew love or bitterness of coffee
Yan's early life was probably rough and violent, even before the Prescripts started ordering him to kill loved ones.

quote:

Snippy scissors cut down the strings, I set myself free
Only to figure out everything I chose was by proxy
Yan's entire on-screen story in only two lines. Despite clawing his way into a position of apparent power and freedom, even his personal rebellion against the Prescripts was merely another expression of the Index's absolute control over his life. This revelation breaks him.

quote:

As we suckled upon the nine millimeter pacifier
Swallowing the fact that other than to expand we had no purpose
As my ever-burning will to stay afloat backfires
I now know I must be comfortable being who I considered worthless
And so, in the face of how meaningless everything is, Yan contemplates suicide but ultimately Distorts instead. The iron willpower that drove him to claw his way out of the streets and to a position of importance and privilege in the organization that had loomed over his entire life now drives him to madness. Of special note is his disdain towards his coworkers - he looked down on them, considering them worthless, but now he will become just like them, emotionally beaten into mindless obedience.

quote:

Follow the city's ribbon
To a heart nobody seems to listen
Nobody gave a poo poo about Yan. Nobody listened to the pain in his heart. The will of the City certainly won't.

quote:

It takes my heart being broken and broken again
To know that I am the reason why the sufferings never end
And now the source of all his pain, in Yan's Distorted viewpoint, was himself all along. His resistance and dreams were what brought the suffering the Prescripts inflicted upon him. Everything had been for the purpose of breaking his spirit.

quote:

Going through the shelves picking out my pre-written persona
Children of the city see only the neon stars
Reflected upon the murky gutter sky
Don't ask me why I desperately wish to be noticed by the city's eye
The chorus, again.

quote:

Do not go home until you finish reading the value of e.
2.71 8281
8284 5904
5235 3602
8747 1352
6624 9775
7247 0936
9995 9574
9669 6762
This is Euler's number, an irrational number represented by the letter e that goes on forever in a sequence that never ends or repeats, just like pi.

This is an impossible request. The Distorted Yan, his spirit shattered, executes it unquestioningly with machine-like precision, but no matter how many numbers he recites he will never be going home.

Now that the halfassed song analysis is over, let's get on with the halfassed card analysis. We've got some real winners here, as well as some very situational stuff of dubious usefulness.

New Key Pages

Four light and Speed III already means that he's a top tier keypage, to say nothing of his pretty great exclusive cards (including a really strong mass attack and what may as well be an exclusive status effect similar to Binah's Fairy). He's got a pretty cheesy combo involving his mass attack on Chesed's floor, so he's an easy target for cards like Courage and A Warm Heart to activate his +power passive. Pretty good so far.

But the real power of Yan is his The Messenger passive, which randomly puts you one of four buff pages in his personal EGO folder every turn that he can hand out to his party members FOR FREE. They do not cost light, and they do not cost an action, it's just an instant buff. And three out of four effects are real winners - being able to just GIVE someone a point of light or a card every turn can win games, as can giving someone a point of strength at just the right time. The only dud option is the protection buff, which after emotion 3 you'll never need to use since you'll always have an alternative buff available.

It's a really really good passive. I personally attributed it to Nikolai to make her the ultimate support bot, but just having Yan (or the page Yan's attributed to) in your party at all gives your party a significant boost. 10/10 passive attached to a pretty drat solid keypage that's got some fun tricks up its sleeve.

New Combat Pages

A hard counter to power nullification effects like Xiao's (since they negate negative power too) and summation mass attacks (since they don't take card effects into consideration so you just get those beefy raw numbers). Not worth using if you're not up against something with power null.

Probably pretty good if you can somehow build a functional deck around it, but to be blunt I have no loving idea how to use this card. It effectively costs nothing but it requires you to be at max light and only use 0-costs for your other actions. And you can only use one per turn. It's pretty strong - at 5 emotion that's 8-12 on the first two dice and even at the start of the fight it's 4-8/4-8/3-6 for only 3/4 cost - but it's so clunky to use that you're better off just using other cards instead of building an entire deck around this thing. Basically locks you out of using EGO too.

At last, the tyranny of Singleton is broken once and for all. What Bi An tried to accomplish, this succeeds at. This right here is a Multislash that anyone can use, Singleton or no. It's also got pretty good rolls - two 3-7 dice on a card that effectively costs -1 light is a good deal, and it's got a leading block die to boot so you can actually use it defensively too! The only downside is that 2 cost can make it tricky to fit in other cards into a turn if you're low on Light. You'll pretty much want to run two copies of this in basically any deck you build from here on out. Hell, you'll want to run one in Singleton builds, too.

And here it is. With this and Bi An, Hokma has almost achieved his final form (he just needs his best keypage)...right after you beat both of the hardest fights in the tier so there's really not much left worth actually using it on :eng99:. This page initially seems pretty bad - you're basically loving over your next turn to play another card or two this turn, so most of the time you'd be better off just running a standard light gen card instead of this...but what if you could use this as many times as you want every single turn for functionally infinite light? Well, using two copies of Bi An in a single turn lets you draw four cards (five if you include the standard start-of-turn draw) which means it's trivially easy to have almost your entire deck in your hand at all times. You'll certainly be able to redraw the four pages you used to pull off the combo.

The maximum hand size is eight so there'll always be a card left in your deck, but if you run three Ominous Powers and three Bi Ans you'll always have at least two copies of Bi An and Ominous Power in your hand at all times, enabling you to instantly generate six light and use two Bi Ans every single turn, which will in turn redraw those cards so you can do it again next turn. If you then add in a single-use card like Field Mods to quickly throw away at the start of a fight to reduce your deck size to 8, you can guarantee that your entire deck - including all three Bi Ans and Ominous Powers - is in your hand every single turn. Unlimited light. Unlimited 3-costs. UNLIMITED POWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER! Only really works with Bi An tho since that's the only card worth using with this combo that lets you draw two cards at once so it's a tactic that's limited to Hokma, the only floor that can do damage with block cards.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that because this card has no dice and its effect is [On play], targeting an enemy with this just instantly plays it without spending an action slot. This is how you can play four/six cards per turn with the OP/BI Hokma Balls combo.

얀샋ㄷ요무 Exclusive:
Oh hey, it's Erosion! You know, from the Servant of Wrath fight!

TeeQueue posted:

Each stack of Erosion increases all HP and Stagger damage of the person it's affecting by 1. Additionally, it will deal damage at the end of the turn like Burn, with its stacks going down by 1 afterwards. It's very good, but it's also very rare to see applied outside of Servant of Wrath's own effects.

Now we're able to use that power ourselves, though only in limited amounts on really expensive pages. As for this card, it's a strong page with a trailing Block die (always useful!) that applies a very good status effect. Very much worth running in any given Yan build.

Strong but situational. Like how Nemo's Energy Beam is designed to hard counter strong 2-dice cards, this does the same thing to strong 3-dice cards by blunting the impact of the first hit, overwhelming the second with that massive 12-19 roll, then simply destroying the third hit entirely via the card effect. Very strong, but again situational since it's designed to counter one specific thing and if you're not up against something with strong three-dice pages you're better off running something cheaper.

The most powerful and expensive main deck mass attack in the game. Well, the most powerful one without serious limitations on its usage, anyway. There's a way to use this multiple times in one turn via Chesed shenanigans, which would also apply a whole lotta Erosion to the entire enemy party for fun times, but we'll have to come back to that later since we're missing 2/3rds of that particular combo.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 6, 2023

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Ooh, I was hoping someone else would have the lyrics. Goddamn, that’s tragic.

Have we ever seen the “triangle with lightning bolt” card symbol before? The one on Ominous Power. I know we’ve seen sword/gun/starburst for melee/ranged/mass, but I don’t recognize this one.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Prescripts. Impossible, nonsense ones - there aren't nearly enough hours in a day for 800 hours of sleep

Hop on a Warp Train.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

GilliamYaeger posted:

Prescripts. Impossible, nonsense ones - there aren't nearly enough hours in a day for 800 hours of sleep and drinking a full liter of milk is insanity -
Maybe if you're a dumb failure that deserves to get his head caved in by a giant cyborg. T-corp tech exists, so take a train, buy some time, steal it, and whammo bammo, 800 hours in a single day. As for the liter of milk, either just wait to play until you finish all your milk, or get yourself a higher capacity/efficiency stomach. That quitter attitude is probably why Yan is so short, not enough milk or sleep.

BassMug posted:

Have we ever seen the “triangle with lightning bolt” card symbol before? The one on Ominous Power. I know we’ve seen sword/gun/starburst for melee/ranged/mass, but I don’t recognize this one.
Bayard has one, it's the symbol for on-play cards, cards that are immediately played when you target a die.

RandomReader fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 6, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

BassMug posted:

It's because it's an on-play quick effect. It's got no dice and doesn't take an action so it's neither a melee, ranged or mass attack. It's not even an attack at all.

microfolk
Aug 15, 2023

CATGIRL DEATH INDUSTRIAL
Children of the City is such an incredible banger, I really like this very simple yet effective video posted by Mili's themselves.

Yan's fight is another great one which I had a great time beating and then a not-so-great time farming, but the rewards are just that good. I'm sure there are some extremely deranged tactics to nuke it in a couple turns tho!

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
drat that song is a banger. Also the second I saw The Will of The City I knew it was gonna get thrown in 90% of decks from now on

CountDuckoo
Jul 27, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

The third page, Vigil, targets our allies. It turns off Power entirely for the target for the entire turn—this works both for the target's dice as well as the dice of anyone who clashes with them. It is vitally important that we never allow Distorted Yan to target Yesod with this move.

Actually, thats a mistranslation. From looking at the code, and from experience when combined with his Strength buff card, it only turns off Power for the target's dice; anyone who clashes with them still gets affected by Power gain and loss. Apparently in Korean it has the proper wording.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

BisbyWorl posted:

Hop on a Warp Train.

Just make sure no one will use your body for weird shenanigans. Although it does say a single day and the Warp Train only takes 10 seconds you just have to board multiple train.

GilliamYaeger posted:

and drinking a full liter of milk is insanity

It's like four cup or something. Doable if you are thirsty enough or just like milk. Also, you can technically pick the taste so that's always a plus.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

CountDuckoo posted:

Actually, thats a mistranslation. From looking at the code, and from experience when combined with his Strength buff card, it only turns off Power for the target's dice; anyone who clashes with them still gets affected by Power gain and loss. Apparently in Korean it has the proper wording.

/adds to the increasingly ponderously long “card minutiae to clarify” list.

Good to know.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Dammit Gilliam you beat me to posting Children of the City's lyrics.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There's something weird about the lyrics Gilliam posted though. I also wanted to post them but was busy otherwise, and when I got home I saw a PM on my inbox (despite not having PMs bought) warning me about the update and telling me "Post the lyrics to Children of the City attached to this private message on the Library of Ruina LP thread" and... they feel kinda different for some reason. I guess I'll quote them with the sender, cool username tho.

내ㅡㄷ소ㅑㅜㅎㅁㅈ려ㅣ posted:

[Verse 1]
Sleep for a total of eight hundred seconds per day
And then drink a liter of bear
Warm-up before you go posting
Only draw, or write
Or play games with your right hand
Only thing that's left
Is to work on making fanart

By the time you realize
You'll be restrained to a desk
And with your sleep schedule broke, you comply
Eyes chained to the browser
In thirty minutes, start Angela discourse
Bonus if Homestuck
In ninety hours, post Roland vore
And get permabanned forever

[Chorus]
Going through the posts
Picking out my cherry-picked strawman (ha-ah-ah)
Posters of the forums rage always at the blue stars
Reflected upon the murky grey background
Don't ask me why
I desperately wish to be included in the fanart archive

[Post-Chorus]
In twenty one updates, :emptyquote:

[Verse 2]
Think up a joke and beat it to the drat ground
Learned to post before I knew love or cactus or reading
Guiding everyone to the best scenes
I give myself a pat
Only to figure out the polls were all rigged from the start

As we suckled upon every update that came along
Swallowing the fact that other than to post
We had no purpose
As my ever-burning will to go to sleep backfires
I now know I must be comfortable being
Who I considered worthless

[Verse 3]
Follow the thread's history
To an OP nobody seems to listen
It takes my mind being broken and broken again
(Broken and broken again)
To know that I am the reason why (The reason why)
The discourse never ends

[Chorus]
Now it's time for another vendetta (Hmm)
Going through the posts
Picking out my cherry-picked strawman (Ha)
Posters of the forums rage always at the blue stars
Reflected upon the murky grey background
Don't ask me why
I desperately wish to be noticed by the LP stars.

[Post-Chorus]
Do not log out until you finish reading every LP
Starcraft 2, Warcraft 3,
Fire Emblem, Star Dynasties,
Minecraft, Pokemon TGC
Phoenix Wright, SF6
Pentiment, Baldur's Gate
Higurashi, The Walking Dead
Persona 5, Horizon Zero Dawn
Library of Ruina above all...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There's something weird about the lyrics Gilliam posted though. I also wanted to post them but was busy otherwise, and when I got home I saw a PM on my inbox (despite not having PMs bought) warning me about the update and telling me "Post the lyrics to Children of the City attached to this private message on the Library of Ruina LP thread" and... they feel kinda different for some reason. I guess I'll quote them with the sender, cool username tho.

:allears:

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

This thread keeps delivering. :allears:

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's because it's an on-play quick effect. It's got no dice and doesn't take an action so it's neither a melee, ranged or mass attack. It's not even an attack at all.

RandomReader posted:

Bayard has one, it's the symbol for on-play cards, cards that are immediately played when you target a die.

Ohhhh, that makes sense. Thank you! Gah, I’m a Slay the Spire nerd, I shoulda remembered that :P

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
And this is why Yesod is the best floor in the game really. The game is NOT designed to deal with that degree of power stacking, and infinity dice means that you'll get the clashes you want. Add to that you get it relatively early in Star of the City, where you just have to fight the R Corp fight and the Red Mist, and you could still crush the more than half of the remaining Star of the City fights, if you so desired, as well as whatever comes after.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Yan was the fight I saved for last in my playthrough, and I skipped his final phase entirely through means I can't remember. I also can't remember how I used Sword of Volition, except that it was in a gimmick Irina deck designed to give a lot of light per turn to the rest of the party once it gets going, presumably as her best form of attack if she needed to.

The main downside of on-play cards like Ominous Power is that unlike every other card, you can't take them back if you change your mind.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The value of e is e. If they wanted them to read the numeric value of e, they should have specified the numeric value of e. Go home, Yan. :colbert:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Sword of Volition, Pinpoint Strike, and the Thumb passive that gives you 0 cost ammo cards at least gets you a full set of moves 90% of the time. Throw in some Unlock 1s if you are worried about running out of cards. I don't think its ever a good loadout, but with the right key page it is at least a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

:five: