Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
An absolute treasure of updates and art: It's amazing to see the False Throne fight going so well and resonating in such a fun and off-beat way compared to other Realizations. The Adult Who Lies ends up getting done in by a bunch of people just living their own weird little truths, whether that be psychic danger-sense toupees or mischief-for-attention. A really breezy and entertaining take on a quick and simple final phase.

NullBlack posted:

ignoring the scarecrow and tinman, Roland's been rather fashionable this time around.

No rush and all, it's just that Roland's meltdown started before Halloween and well, it is this time of the year. A very so merry time we hold dear.

ignore the calendar image. Someone keeps stealing Malkuth's motivational calendars and Hod's puppies and kittens ones and replacing them with these.

Gorgeous!! Every Faded Memories Lol-and is always going to be a treasure in my heart, and this one is just A+ material. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
That's interesting, a meeting of the primary color Librarians. I wonder, will we ever see a meeting of the tertiary color librarians?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Religion—936.10—The Price of Silence

Music: Lobby

Our goal for the day is to make a bunch of decks that can run themselves. We want a balance between draw, light regain, and an overall good Light curve with some big punch—overall this means 'Singleton,' as any other deck requires at least a little thought to run properly. If I was really clever I would have made everyone bring Burn as well, but I am not clever so we're doing this normally.

Man, really loving this well-dressed pirate vibe I've got going on.

Is that why you went with that page? You wanted a pegleg?

A pegleg for stabbing, but yes.

Just make sure you don't accidentally stomp down with that leg too hard and throw off your stance. The body'll do almost all the work… but if you're too gung-ho you'll fall flat on your face.

Riiight…

And why have you chosen the form you've taken, Talow?

I'm working with you, aren't I? I'm hoping the smoke can take the edge off.

We both know that the Smoke doesn't work that way.

Wishful thinking, then.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle02

Alright, it's new, but no big deal! I hope you're ready to wreck this thing, because here we

Hold a moment, Morgan. We must consider our options carefully.

You're white as a sheet, old-timer… Don't tell me you actually know what that thing is.

It was before your time… before mine, as well. That thing is The Price of Silence. An Abnormality so troublesome that it was sealed away before Ayin's plan began in earnest, lest it directly lead to countless Managers despairing and taking their own lives.

That very potential was why I drew upon its powers in my battle against the Manager.

You could've just said "It screws with time."

Very well… It screws with time. Once the battle is joined, we will have to be quick and decisive.

The Price of Silence posted:

The flowing time cannot be grasped, nor can the flow be stopped.

Time flows as life does, and life goes as time does.

Why do you try to defy this greater stream that none can stop?

The Price of Silence forces us to play Speed Ruina. Once we press Space to roll Speed Dice and begin the turn, we'll be given 30 seconds to make our plays before the turn fires off automatically. We can't target it, either, until its mechanic has played out.

Every turn it summons a Remnant of Time. These Remnants will copy the number of Speed Dice, Speed Dice ranges, and also the Resistances of one of our allies. On their first turn they will use 2 unique Combat Pages, before attacking with whatever Combat Pages the Librarian it's copying used last turn in subsequent turns. We have 12 turns to defeat 12 of these things, rendering The Price of Silence Staggered and targetable if we do. If we fail…

The Price of Silence uses a fairly powerful Mass Attack instead, and restarts the process again! Pretty simple, we just have to take out the Remnants of Time without falling behind the pace of 1/turn. There's just one little wrinkle…

Each Remnant either gains +3 Power in a clash or in a one-sided attack. We can check which they have by hovering over their buff icon, this can be done before starting our timer so it's free as long as we remember. If possible, we want to avoid clashing with this one—but honestly I kind of just forget to respect these. There's not enough time.

Much like Chesed's fight against Ozma, this fight is also largely a test of if the player knows how to use a basic function of the battle system. This one is a little less obscure than Quick Mode, though…

It's the P button, something we've mentioned several times before. In this fight, pressing it means that we'll be able to offload most of the card selection—a godsend, given that 30 seconds is nowhere near enough time to set all of our pages.

In the back there is our timer. When the turn starts, the hand on top begins moving to the right. It makes a complete rotation…

Seems our time is up. Were you all ready?

Of course!

If nothing else, your hands-off management style ensured we could do things on our own.

Thank heavens for small favors, eh? Smoke's up, take it out.

Got i-

Don't got it. Look out, they're strong when they get a bead on you.

It was only a scratch, I trust?

Yeah… I'm still good.

We'll continue as we were, then. So long as no one triggered that trap in their haste…

…Trap?

I see. So we've been hooked.

What do you mean, Hokma?

That's… what I meant. One of us bought us all some time… but the cost is very high.

Ghh… no mercy at all, is it?

Don't be silly, Talow. We're still standing. This is much weaker than when I was using it.

Unfortunately, there was no way it could ever be that easy, right? The Price of Silence has added a trap in the hands of every single one of our Librarians.

That trap is Silence. It's a free page, meaning hitting P will quite frequently slot it into a Speed Die as a filler page, and while it gives us infinity time on the next turn it also costs our entire team 25% of their HP in exchange.

When we hit space to start the turn while Silence is in effect, the clock in the top-center simply does not move. Since we have plenty of time, let's take a peek at the pages that the Remnants of Time play.

Both Torrent of Hours and Backlash of Time are fairly middle-of-the-road pages for this point in the game, with power levels roughly equal to a 2-cost page at this point in the game. They can deal some damage, but it's honestly unlikely that these pages alone will be enough to Stagger any of our Librarians unless we're playing incredibly badly.

During Silence, The Price of Silence also changes up its lines.

The Price of Silence, during Silence posted:

A price follows silence.

Silence does not always bring peace.

Well… since we have the time, let's use it. This one prefers to clash with us, so I'll draw its attention. The rest of you, crush it before it can do anything.

My kind of plan! We don't do enough real work around here. It's all analysis and stuff for us lately.

Well, what do you expect? The other floors all have things going for them. Either E.G.O, or the support of powerful Abnormalities…

And Binah's floor?

Literal Arbiter. Enough said. But us? We're two geriatrics and their live-in help.

That's a rather misleading description, but I do see your point.

It's true that we don't receive guests as often as the other floors… but it seems our recompense is a rougher time with the Abnormalities we must face.

Now that our free turn is over, the rest of this fight boils down to making the best use of our 30 seconds that we can to defeat one Remnant every turn. To do that, I use a three-part strategy.

Step 1: Press P. This autofills all our Speed Dice slots.

Step 2: I hover over each Speed Die. Each time I see Silence, I right-click it to remove it from the die. This keeps us from accidentally losing 25% of our health again, and we've got more than enough time to check all of the dice. Once that's done…

Step 3: With the remainder of our time, I reset those empty slots as 0 or 1-cost pages that restore Light or draw more pages. Multislash is the ideal choice, but we'll take anything that ensures that we can keep playing more pages next turn.

These steps are incredibly simple, and we could easily follow them to trivialize the rest of this fight.

So we'll do that. :v:

For twelve turns. This is exactly as compelling as it sounds—The Price of Silence seems intimidating, but once we have a plan to deal with it it's actually just a long exercise in Not Screwing Up The Plan.

Our life actually gets even easier once we start getting third Speed Dice, as the Remnants only play two pages on turn 1. We can target the empty die with any reset pages to have a nice free attack on them.

That's the fifth one… How much longer are we going to be dealing with this?

If I remember correctly, the thirteenth toll should be different.

Thirteen? Ugh, that's forever.

It's quite unsurprising, if you think about it: that an Abnormality based around the concept of time would want to use quite a bit of our own.

Maybe it's trying to tell us to savor every moment available?

Maybe.

Bah, I doubt it. This isn't about savoring anything—it's wasting our lives away doing the same rote repetition day in and day out. Just like always.

The manner of death we're giving these guys changes a little each time.

Well, they do say that history doesn't repeat itself, but rhymes instead.

I guess that was probably true. How many Managers did you go through, Talow?

Too many.

And they were all slightly different, right?

Iunno. The guy was never the most talkative when it came to us frontline folks.

He seemed to communicate just fine to me?

Yes… something happened with his final iteration. He wasn't the Ayin I remembered… but instead the one he needed to be.

I know, right? He could actually get the drat job done.

You watch your mouth.

There is one more interesting thing that can happen in The Price of Silence. While we're in the middle of the turn and the clock is ticking, we can press escape.

If we do, the pause menu comes up like always… but because we've just paused the game a gong sound plays here that's very familiar to anyone who has ever paused in Hokma's suppression in Lobotomy Corporation.

When we unpause, everyone loses 25% of their max HP again. While this would be a nasty surprise, there's almost no reason to ever pause in the middle of setting up a turn so discovering it by accident is unlikely.

So… anyways, I lost count? How many more is it?

That was number ten. Two should remain.

Make that one. The next time it ticks, we should be able to end this… Oh, hold that thought.

Time's up, now what?

We watch it and see how it reacts.

We broke it. Seems like the plan worked.

So it does. Let's press the advantage.

Because we successfully defeated 12 Remnants of Time in as many rounds, we skip right to the Staggered and targetable phase of The Price of Silence. If not, it would be using Inevitable Demise right now. If it were to do so, there are special lines associated with it.

The Price of Silence, using Inevitable Demise posted:

Time is given to everyone evenly, but fate makes it unfair.

No one can go against the flow of time.

Under normal circumstances, The Price of Silence has 150 HP to burn through this turn, which is actually quite trivial. However, Hokma has broken this fight by simply existing.

Xiao's page, as you may recall, gives the Remnants that Hokma hits while wearing it the Force of a Wildfire debuff. Whenever we then Stagger a Remnant with that debuff, it passes half of that Burn on to every other enemy on the field. Over the course of this battle, we've naturally whittled The Price of Silence down to only 31 HP—making this trivial.

And there we go… it's done.

So did we actually learn anything from all of this?

Time passes at the same rate, no matter how much we try and stop it. To hold it back for even an instant requires great sacrifice.

I was going to say 'this Abnormality is bullshit,' but yours works too.

Ah, it wasn't that bad. At least the fights were quick.

As long as we're using decks that can play themselves, The Price of Silence is actually trivial to defeat, and for the most part this entire fight is won or lost on the deckbuilding screen rather than the fight itself. It is possible to win the fight if we play manually as well, but this requires a much deeper level of skill with flinging cards around than the P button.

Of course, we can also make the fight go a little bit faster by taking Xiao's passive to its logical extreme…

VIDEO
Music: HokmaStory

So have you, Benjamin.

Am I truly the same being that Benjamin was? Do you find the inheritance of fragmented memories from the past to carry sufficient meaning?

You’re quite a bit more incisive with your words than before. Did you have a change of heart, by chance?

Having sent my great and dear beacon away in the pillar of light, and having failed to give a proper closure to his ultimate plan, all I have left now is ferocity. The personality and characteristics of our previous selves still constitute us… However, those are but moulds we were cast in. That mould is now being filled with our everyday experience in this place.

I don’t expect you to ever understand the loops I suffered, but you surely remember the script and how we successfully concluded it, don’t you?

Possibly so. After all, you are completing our memories and personalities through the books. Alas, the Sephirot residing here are Sephirot, not their original selves. I assume they will all feel it in one way or another. As people that surely were their past selves, but feel as though they were different beings… or a dream.

Angela. What has become of the other branches of Lobotomy Corporation?

Probably sealed somewhere underground, following the shutdown procedures.

I suppose some survived somehow, though not everyone would’ve had that luck.

You let greed take over and abandoned all your duties. The Library is no different from L Corp. The fact that your way of managing this place is nearly identical to how it used to operate speaks volumes.

All I could do and learn for the last million years in that basement was to treat humans as expendables in all types of methods. There was no other option for me to choose, even if I wanted to.

Is that why you employ Abnormalities and E.G.O as well? You direct the librarians to put on the shells of others’ egos in order to amplify their unstable emotional state even further.

Do I need to remind you that I only have them do that when they receive guests, who also happen to enter voluntarily?

…I’m just using the resources available to me. Since you were already exploited by Ayin, it’s only fair that I get to do the same.

He brought you lot back from death without consent and forced you to endure cycles of pain. You were nothing more than puppets to him, dancing on the stage as he liked. I was born from more of his irresponsible actions, too.

How can you just accept all of this as if it were nothing, Hokma?

It is no longer a matter of whether or not his actions are acceptable. I simply chose to accept it. I am not one to judge my mentor’s will.

Why do you hesitate?

…Forget it.

It was possible because I have faith, Angela. That faith is also what prompted me to give you a chance.

This is frustrating… Both you and Ayin are completely insane. You have to be.

Benjamin, he… He was the only person who cared enough to tell me it’s okay, even though I’m not human.

You would be right. The one who stands before you right now is Hokma, not Benjamin.

And yet, Angela.

I am not so different from Benjamin, in that I do not believe your status of humanity is what matters.

…Why don’t you just go back to sorting books.

The remainder of Hokma's stories involve him speaking with Angela, instead of Roland. Makes sense, given that the two of them have… a history.

Anyways, let's check out our new toys.

Time is one of the most hilariously powerful pages in the game in the right circumstances. The +1-2 power on every unit we have is huge, letting us win clashes we shouldn't and acting as a lovely force multiplier for us. However, it requires us to either be incredibly good at speed Ruina, or else to play decks that require P+Space. Given that most of the fights from here forward require technique and thought, this is very difficult to actually do unless you're amazing at speed Ruina.

The Thirteenth Toll is an interesting page as well. Every 13th page that the selected Librarian plays gains 1-2 power, and deals Max HP % damage as a little bonus. This is a very powerful effect on a page with a lot of hits, but the 13th page is a downside. The earliest we can get this is after turn 1, meaning on turn 2 we'll have 2 pages played, turn 3 we can play 2 pages, turn 4 we can play 3 (if we have a Speed 3 page), putting us at 7, Turn 5 we can play another 4, to put us at 11. This means if we play every page we can on every turn, the soonest we will be able to hit a single 13th toll is on the second page we use on Turn 6, with the next one coming on Turn 9 after that. It's too slow to be meaningfully useful, as fights are almost always decided well before it comes up.

Lastly, we have Silence. This page lets us either nuke everyone's Speeds but the page holder by 5 for 15% of their max HP, or boost their own Speed by 5 for only 10% of their max HP. They're situationally useful, but overall quite underwhelming.

Setting that aside, it turns out we're also ready for Hokma's next Abnormality Battle right now.

It's the last Abnormality Battle in the entire game, so if you want to hold off until an appropriately climactic moment, that's fine—and if you want to do it right now that's also fine. The fight just kind of… sucks, is all.

As for the Small Story down there, we've actually unlocked two of them! We'll… we'll get to those.

In the meanwhile, you know what to do!

Next time, on Library of Ruina

"Let us meet again as stars."

We're nearly done with polling for Star of the City. It's been a long while.

…Well, you know what your options are by now.

Videos

Hokma 3
Everything is flammable. Everything.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jan 3, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Let us meet again as stars.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Why would we not go meet our dear old friend again? We never successfully killed it ourselves in the old days, after all.

Plus, we'll get our last Librarian back, and this might incentivize you to use Hokma's floor at some point in what's left of the game.

Materant fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 16, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I feel real bad for the remaining guests. How long will they have to keep waiting?

(The answer is not much since as TeeQueue said this is the last abno battle but let me keep imagining that :v:)

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I feel real bad for the remaining guests. How long will they have to keep waiting?

(The answer is not much since as TeeQueue said this is the last abno battle but let me keep imagining that :v:)

Longer than The Index Proxies, less long than Haven. :ocelot:

Unrelated note but if I had a nickel for every time some weird maplestory news caused my update to be delayed by a day I'd have three nickels.

Which is one too many for the joke that would normally go here. :thunk:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm reminded of how the Crying Children fight was SUPPOSED to go. Really glad that it was reduced.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

At this point, they are just taking tea by the entrance, patiently waiting for the Director to receive them.

TeeQueue posted:

The Thirteenth Toll is an interesting page as well. Every 13th page that the selected Librarian plays gains 1-2 power, and deals Max HP % damage as a little bonus. This is a very powerful effect on a page with a lot of hits, but the 13th page is a downside. The earliest we can get this is after turn 1, meaning on turn 2 we'll have 2 pages played, turn 3 we can play 2 pages, turn 4 we can play 3 (if we have a Speed 3 page), putting us at 7, Turn 5 we can play another 4, to put us at 11. This means if we play every page we can on every turn, the soonest we will be able to hit a single 13th toll is on the second page we use on Turn 6, with the next one coming on Turn 9 after that. It's too slow to be meaningfully useful, as fights are almost always decided well before it comes up.

Thriteen Toll is only useful in boss battle but holy hell is it funny to see it delete the HP bar of enemy with the proper power stacking.

JeffRaze
Mar 13, 2021
I do appreciate Hokma saying he doesn't think Angela sucks because of what she is, but rather for what she's done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Without checking, someone has definitely made a mod to replace the music for this fight with the Countdown theme every time the turn timer is started, right?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The first time I did this fight, I brought a Yujin. Things were actually going pretty well until I played Silence to see how it worked. Turns out 25% max hp is what Yujin starts at, so things went a bit downhill from there.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like it's time to get the last Abnormality Battle over with. :getin:

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
Oh boy. This should be a barrel of fun.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
It felt like this game was going to go on forever, but we seem to be reaching some kind of end if this is the last regular abnormality battle.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean, TeeQueue did start this thread a little more than 2 years ago, we've been here for a while since Library of Ruina is that chunky a game.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
I'm a little surprised it wasn't mentioned, but there's a trick to PoS that makes it much less frustrating.

The resistance copied by the fragments of time always starts with hokma. Then, if it lives, the second will be the first assistant librarian, the third will be the next, etc. This means if you kill them in one turn, it will exclusively copy hokma's resistances. So, simply grab a earlygame keypage with a fatal resistance, and then load up the other three librarians with pages of that type - I like using Mang-chi (pierce fatal) along with allen, purple tear, etc. Given that its taking double damage, you can basically just slot all your attacks at it without caring, making sure to clash with the slowest page, and it'll perish with little effort.

Given how incredibly braindead this is, you don't even need to press P and unslot the silence page.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

ngl I kinda want to know whats happening in Maplestory :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

don't do it, maplestory is a trap

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I gave up on Maplestory after they arbitrarily walled off content for one of the characters for no reason whatsoever.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
If you think about it, Benjamin may be as responsible for everything that has happened as Ayin and Carmen were. Tje heads of LobCorp were "A", "B" and "C" after all, he should have had equal levels of authority as the others did. But his lack of presence in the core backstory leads me to believe he was far too passive back then.

When Enoch volunteered for that experiment, Benjamin could've said something, try and convince the others to turn him down. But he didn't, and the first casualty that would send everything downhill occurred (1)

Carmen had shown clear signs of being shaken from the incident, yet her feelings were left to fester until she took her own life (2)

Ayin took Carmen's place spearheading the facilities research, resulting in many horrible things happening, things that Benjamin should have had the ability to prevent with his status in the company. Elijah's needless death (3) Gabriel's clear signs of self harm (4) Giovanni becoming a test subject (5) Michelle's betrayal (6). All things attributed to Ayin when Benjamin had the same level of authority as him. Yet he choose to ignore them.

Daniel (7) Lisa (8) and Kali (9) all perished in the attack partially due to his willful ignorance, and when Ayin took Garion apart and subjected her to a fate worse than death, he said nothing (10)

Eventually, once A unveiled his plan, B finally decided to speak up. But instead of continuing to argue, to force A to abandon the torment he'll put himself through, he looked away. And by the time he looked back, it was too late: Ayin had Burrowed himself into a "Heaven" of his own making, and "Benjamin" lost his life as a result, becoming another decoration for the accursed tree. (11)

Reborn as Hokma, he should have worked to try and stop the plan from the inside. He debately knew more about the plan than even Angela did after all. But he chose to let himself become a cog in the machine as he watched his closest friend tear himself apart time and time again (12)

Eventually, the tree of light was nearing completion. All of the horrible events that transpire were finally about to pay off. Yet there was one person who was left out. Someone Benjamin knew from before the script, who saw Ayins abuse firsthand. Someone who has suffered for a very long time, whom noone was better at reaching out and attempting to provide closure than her "Uncle", in a sense. Benjamin should have known how much pain Angela had endured, and could've reached out to her as the end approached them all.

And yet instead, he chose Silience (13) and now the entire city is paying the Price.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
I have been holding on to that for 2 years now, feels nice to finally get that off my chest.

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
It's also appropriate going back in the other direction, given that

quote:

The Price of Silence seems intimidating, but once we have a plan to deal with it it's actually just a long exercise in Not Screwing Up The Plan.

also absolutely sums up Lobotomy Corporation both in and out of the narrative. You take time and effort to figure out a plan, and then you execute on it. Slowly, laboriously, in the face of whatever random little problems crop up, over and over across loops and loops until fifty days are up.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".
Speed Ruina is Best Ruina

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Benjamin looked away from the bad things that he and his friends were doing, now he must contain it all within his sight (The Burrowing Heaven).

Benjamin saw and allowed the fall of 13 people through his silence, including himself, and now he must pay the price (The Price of Silence).

Benjamin worshiped all that A did and the cult around the idol of C, now it is time to face and dismantle a different cult and idol (The Blue Star).

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 44.6: Small Story 6 & 7

That's everything on R Corp… I really don't see the need to continue reading every single book that comes our way.

There is a likelihood that information will be found within, information which we can use.

More of that faith stuff, huh? Spare me. Your blessings are closer to curses.

They're doing it again…

Just tune it out.

You think we can get earplugs from one of these books..?

You say that, and yet it was that same curse that allowed Ayin to find his way to the end of his path. Blessing or curse, it all depends on perspective.

Try saying that after you spend thirty years in the Outskirts.

You blame me for your suffering, when it is you who push those around you away. Are you truly angry at me, or simply unable to deal with your emotions?

There's not really a difference.

There is, though you never learned how to see it.

Hey, where do you think you're going..!

Out. I should speak with my fellows, as I never had much chance to before. I understand you have a standing offer to speak with those below as well.

I don't need any counseling. I'm fine.

Whether you do or not isn't something I can say. Regardless… you saw yourself what connections could do to a man. Perhaps you should have faith as well.

But I must take my leave. There is no way of knowing when we will have more work to do.

The hell do you get off, pretending you're a good boss now.

Good or bad… he's got a point. You've been even pricklier than usual since the Library formed.

A lot happened.

So see a shrink already, before I drag you down there myself.

Fine. I'm heading out, too. Later.

I can't believe that worked.

He probably won't go through with it, you know.

"Ah… but all things in this world are rooted in faith for, uh… fixing things."

:rolleyes:

VIDEO
Music: NetzachStory

What could you be musing on, intoxicated all by your lonesome?

…You don’t seem to be in the mood for conversation.

I don’t really feel like treating you nicely…

Are you upset about your alone time being interfered, or is it the shackles of the past that bind you?

Both, I guess. I dislike both. I’m denied something of my own, then and now.

But… I do enjoy having drinks with others sometimes.

On the premise that I am not among those “others”?

I’m just saying that I’m not totally against it.

…I don’t think you’ll bite, but lemme ask out of courtesy. Wanna have a drink?

You do know what my answer would be. As you suspected, I don’t quite feel like having a beverage.

…Let’s say that I have been visiting others to introduce myself.

You’re not like before.

Perhaps I am experiencing changes, as nobody is ever truly immutable.

Yes. Speaking of… It would seem that most of the Patron Librarians have collected their thoughts and made up their minds. What about you?

I dunno yet. I’m scared of decidedly setting my mind on something, too. If what I chose turns out to be an untruthful answer… I wouldn’t know what to do.

No man can choose the right path at all times. One only has to believe that the path they are taking is the right one. Such is the nature of truth; it is akin to faith. The paths you have chosen, where you stand at the moment… All that you’ve seen, heard, and touched for yourself constitute the road to truth. You need to carry the faith that you’re headed for truth.

Though what you’re saying is all too hard for me to wrap my head around. It’s always been.

Did you make up your mind at least?

Maybe so, maybe no. Peradventure I will express my thoughts when everyone has formed an opinion.

I suppose I shouldn’t waste any more of your time. It was a short, yet enjoyable conversation.

Guess it was… heading back up?

No… I shall head to Malkuth's floor. I don't believe we've ever had the opportunity to speak before.

If you like…

…Is he gone?

Seems that way.

Finally. I was never any good with that guy.

Oh, you too..? I thought it was just me. Pass me another, eh?

Even then, I'm not sure it was "hide from him" worthy.

Ah… well. You know how it is. I'd rather avoid another scolding for drinking on the job, you get me~?

VIDEO
Music: NetzachStory

Oh? Gebura and Roland are here, too~ What are you guys doing all about like this?

It’s obvious. They’re all slacking off. And what’s all this… Alcohol? Get it together! Look what mess that hopeless drunkard created!

Sup, Tiphereth.

I’m not in the mood to greet you back! I’m sure Angela won’t like it when this reaches her ears, hm?

She brought us to the book that one time, true…

I was having a light chat with Netzach, then this black suit snuck in.

Hngh… I was just here for a drink, that’s it…

Anyway, did you all make an appointment to meet here or somethin’? That’s a lot of folks coming to this floor at once. Aren’t you popular, Netz~

I’d never be up for drinking meetings! Especially if it’s with Netzach!

I’m here because Tiphereth said she had something she wanted to ask~

Then just ask the question and go…

Gosh, the stench of alcohol is everywhere… Stop drinking so much, even the books will stink at this rate!

…That hurts. Stop hitting.

Oh no, Gebura~ You shouldn’t smoke in a place like this~ Other librarians are walking by~

Chesed is right! Smoking on top of books is a bad idea. This spot is full of wood! I dunno if the books can catch fire here, but it doesn’t look very good.

…Okay.

She seems to be more open to Tiph’s words than yours.

I’m used to it~

Hey, it’s not like we get to gather up like this often… Why don’t you guys have some drinks before you leave?

Ugh, you’re so wearisome! You’re never, ever gonna see me drinking with you!! I was just starting to warm up to you, but now I’m starting to take a dislike again. Maybe replacing you really was the best option!

Harsh words, man…

Don’t mind it too much, Netzie~ She doesn’t sincerely mean it~ We have things left to do upstairs. Thanks for the offer, but no thanks~

What is this ruckus about?

…Er, nothing much, just, reinforcing our bonds.

…That’s why there are beer cans all over the floor.

Hahaa…

What are you two doing together?

I was asked to find a book he needs.

I figured that a book on the Floor of Language would make good supplementary material, so we were heading up.

Oh, that so? Guess I should vamoose. Appreciate the drinks, Netzach. The story you told was interesting, too.

So, Yesod. What’s the book you want?

Oh I’d have loved to see that…

It's a book on the Church of Gears. I'd like to learn more about their automated movements.

It's a good thing you ran into me, then. Tiphereth and my floors are still kind of a maze.

The librarians were supposed to have cleaned that up after the training exercise.

Yeah, the losers were. Those guys can't agree on who won, so they've got about one more hour to figure it out or they're all cleaning it together.

They have fifteen minutes.

We'll give them the news on the way.

I'm heading out to check on Kaori again. I'll let you know if she's moved from that spot or not.

She certainly seems to be in higher spirits since she woke up, but she hasn't stopped poring over our pages and cackling to herself.

That's why we're doing the wellness checks, right? Not that T wouldn't tell us if anything was suddenly wrong with her in the first place…

True, but I think that proactivity is good when it comes to our mental health in this place.

You're right. People don't realize there's a problem themselves until it's way too late, sometimes.

Uh… Knock-knock?

Oh, hey Talow. What brings you down here? On your way to see Bishop?

Not this time. I'm here to see you guys.

So you're here for that counseling we're offering?!

It was either this or getting dragged down entirely too many stairs a few days from now. Easier to just handle things.

Alright then! Uh… let me grab a blank book, and we'll get right to it!

I'll ask Switch to prepare you two some tea, then.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 19, 2023

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
why would a book on the Cult of Gears be in Language? Surely 299.9 (Religion > Other > By Region > Other) or 366.0 (Social Sciences > Problems & Services > Secret Societies > General) would make more sense?

...what have our coworkers been doing when they were supposed to be sorting the books?

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 19, 2023

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

NullBlack posted:

why would a book on the Cult of Gears be in Language? Surely 299.9 (Religion > Other > By Region > Other) or 366.0 (Social Sciences > Problems & Services > Secret Societies > General) would make more sense?

...what have our coworkers been doing when they were supposed to be sorting the books?

This one turned out to have blanks of "Blue Reverberation" and "Church of Gears Worshipper."

I cannot explain the sorting, only acknowledge that the Meat Dango wanted these books here.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NullBlack posted:

They've been building mazes out of books.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Those gears are communicating somehow!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

This one turned out to have blanks of "Blue Reverberation" and "Church of Gears Worshipper."

I cannot explain the sorting, only acknowledge that the Meat Dango wanted these books here.

Wasn't that months ago? Return the books when you're done with them! Do we have to start enforcing an overdue book policy on our fellow librarians?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Possibly, I've got some of them still wearing Key Pages I equipped on them months ago.

Tenebrais posted:

Those gears are communicating somehow!

:hmmyes:

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Gebura returning to her floor "Hey everyone boss said you have 15 minutes to start fixing everything before she pulls out the woodchipper"

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Greenking77 posted:

Gebura returning to her floor "Hey everyone boss said you have 15 minutes to start fixing everything before she pulls out the Singing Machine"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Why not pull it out now? It's a wonderful labor saving device that can do all of your organization* for you!

*Organization, in this context, referring to rendering a body down to its constituent organs

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

NullBlack posted:

Counter point, you need a good level of language to indoctrinate people into a cult. How do you think Carmen got people to her side otherwise?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

NullBlack posted:

Presumably it was filed under 406 (Organizations and Management).

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Counter point, you need a good level of language to indoctrinate people into a cult. How do you think Carmen got people to her side otherwise?

Counter counter point: by similar logic, everything belongs in Language, because you need language to record history, tell stories, document scientific discoveries, etc. That's not how the Dewey or Korean Decimal Systems work.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Presumably it was filed under 406 (Organizations and Management).

Fairly certain that's for linguistic organizations and management; things like Proceedings of the Twelfth International Congress of Linguists, Vienna, August 28-September 2, 1977 or stuff on philology. Still, there was an attempt.

That said, librarian-ing is close to clerking, and we take that very seriously.

This gun may be a toy, but the stuff we coated the darts in sure ain't. BOOKS. NOW.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 6, 2024

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

NullBlack posted:

That said, librarian-ing is close to clerking, and we take that very seriously.

This gun may be a toy, but the stuff we coated the darts in sure ain't. BOOKS. NOW.

Happy to see Mini Mist can still find work in her pre-Fixer days.

Does the City have Child Labor Laws? ...Does the Library? I know LobCorp didn't (see: the Tiphereths).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

SL the Pyro posted:

Happy to see Mini Mist can still find work in her pre-Fixer days.

Does the City have Child Labor Laws? ...Does the Library? I know LobCorp didn't (see: the Tiphereths).

In my head it's like taxes: they might have them in the Nests, but I don't see how they could enforce in the Backstreets.