Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

At minimum, you can't get a Fixers license as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Visions of Valerie posted:

In my head it's like taxes: they might have them in the Nests, but I don't see how they could enforce in the Backstreets.

There's also the issue of children without money or relatives not being able to get even the most basic of shelter if they can't work, unless they steal. And with what happens at night in the Backstreets, well, either you work, or you steal, or you become Sweeper Juice.

Oh and taxes absolutely are enforced in the Backstreets. It's been mentioned over and over that you either file your loving taxes, or you get the Claw. The Head doesn't care about your excuses.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Lord_Magmar posted:

At minimum, you can't get a Fixers license as a child.

[impatient tiny Kali noises]

I doubt the City has any sort of child labor laws. If I recall correctly, real world child labor laws came about out of a "children should be protected and not sent to die in mines or factories for additional profit" sentimentality that I don't think exists in the City. You're likely not to find any child workers in the Nests as Nest dwellers tend to be well to do (so don't need the extra income*) and the Wings tend to be white collar work rather than blue and so benefit from fully educated employees over sheer manpower.

*if you're a Nest dweller and you do need extra income, you're probably not going to be a Nest dweller for too much longer.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Visions of Valerie posted:

In my head it's like taxes: they might have them in the Nests, but I don't see how they could enforce in the Backstreets.

You think you can just gently caress off to the Backstreets and get to ignore the Wings wishes? A Wing's territory is their entire District, not just the Nest, and any particular Backstreet is a shithole because the respective Wing likes it like that, not because they can't control the area.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think if you actually wanted to get away from taxes and the Wings' mandates you'd have to run away to the Outskirts, and deal with whatever horrifying monsters are out there.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NullBlack posted:

[impatient tiny Kali noises]

I doubt the City has any sort of child labor laws. If I recall correctly, real world child labor laws came about out of a "children should be protected and not sent to die in mines or factories for additional profit" sentimentality that I don't think exists in the City. You're likely not to find any child workers in the Nests as Nest dwellers tend to be well to do (so don't need the extra income*) and the Wings tend to be white collar work rather than blue and so benefit from fully educated employees over sheer manpower.

*if you're a Nest dweller and you do need extra income, you're probably not going to be a Nest dweller for too much longer.

Child labor laws came about as a mix of said sentimentality, parents of children striking and demanding those laws as part of broader labor reform (and getting shot by hired goons in the process), and the need for a working class with at least basic education to handle the demands of increased automation and technological progress. We've seen what sentimentality gets you in the City, somehow everyone seems to at least have basic education even in the Backstreets, and, uh, let's just say that the City isn't exactly what you'd call a hotbed of radicalism and left-wing revolutionary sentiment, so yeah. Hell, with the taxes on bullets even the "getting shot by hired goons" part isn't really feasible.

Also, re: Wing employees: are LobCorp agents blue or white collar? Clerks are red collars, we know that much, but agents can kind of be both. Probably depends on the work type and department.

R Corp feels like it certainly has a good chunk of blue collar workers, too, from what we've heard. But that might be the exception.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Also, re: Wing employees: are LobCorp agents blue or white collar? Clerks are red collars, we know that much, but agents can kind of be both. Probably depends on the work type and department.

R Corp feels like it certainly has a good chunk of blue collar workers, too, from what we've heard. But that might be the exception.

Clerks are white collar, not red. White collar is "general office workers and management" and "clerical, administrative and managerial functions". Red collar is government workers, which would only technically apply on the grounds that a Wing is the closest thing to a government for its district.

Blue collar is manual labor (named for the denim shirts they'd have worn). Unless I missed something somewhere, R Corp are mercenaries, not manual labor. Closest thing would be brown collar, for military.

Agents are probably somewhere (depending on how much paper/office work you think they do) between white collar and gray collar (based on one source mentioning security guards as an example. The agents may be strong enough to be one-man armies; they aren't used that way).

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 29, 2023

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

NullBlack posted:

Clerks are white collar, not red. White collar is "general office workers and management" and "clerical, administrative and managerial functions". Red collar is government workers, which would only technically apply on the grounds that a Wing is the closest thing to a government for its district.

Blue collar is manual labor (named for the denim shirts they'd have worn). Unless I missed something somewhere, R Corp are mercenaries, not manual labor. Closest thing would be brown collar, for military.

Agents are probably somewhere (depending on how much paper/office work you think they do) between white collar and gray collar (based on one source mentioning security guards as an example. The agents may be strong enough to be one-man armies; they aren't used that way).
Agents are Pale collar.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

NullBlack posted:

No, collars are an extension of the shirt, and I can assure you that clerks' are red.

Also otherwise I just went with white collar == office work, blue collar == everything else. Didn't think about it much beyond that.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Everyone's collar is red once the Manager breaks out the Execution bullets.

DuoRogue
Jul 19, 2022

My secret? I don't have any bones.
no, no.

"vacation" bullet. :v:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Retirement package.

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Retirement package.

No, that's what they went to Malkuth to discuss.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Religion—937.93—Blue Star

Music: Lobby

Hokma and Morgan haven't changed up much, the only real difference being swapping out some minor skills for a bit of SR restoration and giving Hokma a good source of Blunt damage.

Talow is working with a completely new build today, my first attempt at a proper Blockma strategy. It's missing several things still, but it should do for our purposes.

Lastly, Robin is going for pure Slash. Yet again, we're missing a few things to have a good monoSlash deck for this point in the game… but BHK is powerful so it should work out.

You know… if the patterns from the rest of this place hold up, we'll be seeing our final Librarian after this.

So the Library will finally have everyone.

Just be careful. Blue Star is a powerful Abnormality; I've seen what it can do plenty of times and it doesn't usually go down without casualties.

Regardless of the shape that this threat takes, we shall overcome it. After all, death continues to have no meaning in this place.

Not to us, anyways.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle03

Praise be the Star!

Prase be!!

Okay… what're we looking at?

It seems the Blue Star itself is not the target in this fight, but the idol its worshippers have made…

So it's made its own worshippers…

Made? No, we have always been.

Carrying the load of this place from start to finish!

Unappreciated! Unloved! We finally saw our great light in the sky completed, and even that was taken from us!

Forced to watch as our savior was turned into a devil before our eyes, and made to rip the skulls off of her own flock! Can you imagine the pain?!

The humiliation!

BUT WORRY NOT! FOR WE DESERVED IT ALL, SINNERS AS WE ARE!

Holy poo poo… are they the Clerks? I thought they all died twenty minutes into the war!

Ohh my god this is where they all went. :cripes:

So now, we shall offer ourselves up once more, that we may become greater than we were!

WE SHALL MEET AGAIN AS STARS!

Blue Star Worshippers posted:

We’re all sinners… We have to return to that place and cleanse ourselves.

Worry not. You’re simply going back to where you belong.

We all return to that place some day. It’s an instinct.

Our main adversary today is the Shrine to the Blue Star, a completely unassailable opponent who is also immune to status ailments—meaning Burn tricks won't work this time. Every 3 turns it'll use an attack on us, but otherwise it's just a measure of how far we are through the fight.

The Worshippers of the Blue Star, meanwhile, are our turn-to-turn threat. They are Immune against all HP damage, and each one of the four has only a single Fatal weakness to Stagger damage—the others are only Ineffective. At any time, two of them are Fatal versus Pierce while Blunt and Slash get one each. Our goal is to Stagger them so that the Blue Star absorbs them. Meanwhile, our Librarians also get sucked in whenever they are Staggered. Whenever this happens to either side, their team loses SR and their enemy regains some.

The Worshippers will use only three offensive pages. Of them Our Faith is Never Wrong is the most noteworthy for its 3 Paralysis on the second die, but all three have decent numbers for where we're at in the game.

We dedicate our all for our great master!

The purpose of our lives have become clear!

…Hm. Perhaps the Clerk onboarding program was too intense.

You think?

We needed efficient workers, the sort who wouldn't complain even if they wandered and handled cleanup all day. At the time, none of their lives mattered anyways…

Our lives are nothing! All that matters is the whole! We work without end…

And unpaid overtime is mandatory!

They're quite determined, and those wrappings they've gotten are on par with E.G.O.

We are enwrapped in the great love of the Star! Our every move is for its grand design!

Well, E.G.O gear or not a Clerk is a Clerk. It looks like the stuff has worked its way into their flesh in several areas....

That is the sign of the Blue Star's favor! The more it digs within, the closer we have become to it!

That's called E.G.O Corrosion, and it's potentially lethal!

And in death, we give ourselves over to the Star! We shall all join it in time! There is no shame in hastening it!

I think it's a bit late to talk with them. This is what they want.

It might not feel good to fight your former comrades, but we don't have any choice anymore.

If it is any condolence, the Clerks have never counted as comrades before now, either.

Isn't that a little bit harsh..? We were coworkers.

Killing your coworkers isn't that out of the ordinary for us, either… Well, not normally.

We certainly haven't done much of it in my time with the company.

You don't have to pretend you care, ma'am. We've always been expendables!

Sinners, condemned from the day we're born.

Even when we're able to make it to the end, we're recycled!

We don't even get to have names! All we could ever become is something greater than ourselves! We shall perish and join the great Blue Star in the sky!

We shall all meet as stars!

Hold on, did we actually take their names, or…

Of course not. They still needed them, or Yesod wouldn't have been able to properly remember all the names he'd redacted in the course of his duties.

What.

Ayin's plan was intricate beyond compare, and every cog needed to interlock perfectly. We would never steal their names… because they were necessary to us.

But we give them codenames, because it makes it easier to pull the trigger on them.

It was necessary, in order to ensure the plan succeeded.

Even if that's true, it's not hard to see why they threw their hats in against us.

Oh, our hats aren't against anyone, ma'am!

We are sinners, all of us, and we shall all return to the Star from whence we came. There, our flesh may be made pure and in some small way we shall become one with something greater than all others!

Greater than the Corporation, greater than the Sephirot, and even greater than our dear saintess!

For all have sinned, and must await the call of the Star!

These guys have a serious overabundance of faith…

They're normally prone to panicking at the drop of the hat. The corrosion must have done a number on them.

This is why we had safety regulations on that stuff…

Let's just call this… putting them out of their misery, then.

At the end of the turn while any combatants are Staggered, the Blue Star will suck them in as advertised. This also deals SR damage to any remaining enemies, and heals our SR in the process—of course, if we get Staggered the opposite will happen.

It's refreshing… I didn't expect that.

Yeah… maybe we can get some breathing room with a few of them down.

Is that what you think?! Then you've forgotten the number one rule about clerks!

Music: Ominous Wind

There are always more martyrs to be had! We're convenient, useful, and fully interchangeable! The motor that keeps this place purring like a kitten!

Of course it wouldn't be that easy…

Ah, listen my brethren! Do you hear it..?

That sound… The time has come for redemption at last!

Look at Blue Star… it's glowing.

It seems we've gained its attention for the moment.

At the start of turn 3, the music is shut off—a signature effect of Blue Star's breach back in Lobotomy Corporation—and it uses its signature move.

Sound of a Star turns posted:

Can you hear this wondrous sound? The nostalgic echo you’ve longed for?

Aah… At last…! It’s calling for us at last!

That call is guiding us to the only place that will accept us…!

Sound of a Star will be coming out every three turns, and with it all enemies heal 10 SR. Its 20-20 Mass die is chunky enough that we might get hit by it even when we use a 3-cost, which is why everyone today is packing a Sturdy Defense, It's strong enough to usually block the attack, and keep us from worrying about the effect—anyone it hits becomes Fatal to all Stagger damage on the next turn.

All of the Worshippers will use Hear the Sound of the Star! this turn as well, a pair of decent Pierce dice that each deal bonus SR damage on hit as well.

I do what I can, but Morgan and Robin both haven't drawn into their Sturdy Defense yet. This means they're both likely to get smacked, but we can take the damage as long as we don't let the enemy hit them next turn—Talow and Hokma will be picking up the slack with clashes just to be sure.

The one Staggered Worshipper left over from the SR damage due to its allies being sucked up is also a blessing and a curse. On the upside, it can't attack us this turn. On the downside, its Stagger will be cleared before Into the Star's Embrace makes its check, meaning we won't get any additional damage from it.

Ahh… it comes! As the forerunners heard when the first DING brought us all into its grasp…

May the sound ring true!

You two okay?

I'm fine!

This thing has a kick to it.

Well, it is mostly legs, so…

Did you hear it?! You heard it, right?! That sound… that glorious SOUND!

Yes, I heard it just fine.

There's a unique animation for enemy attacks on this turn, and it's very :allears:

Doyoulikestars? Ilovestars. Let'sbestars. Yougofirst. I'llberightalong!

Great… they're motivated and I'm losing my footing.

Just… stay calm. All we have to do is turn things around on one of them and we'll be fine. You felt it earlier.

No, no that's not right at all! I heard the voice of the star, felt the ding ripple through my body. It cries out and says it's our time!

Oof… I don't think we're doing too hot, here.

You said it. I need a minute… I'm tired as heck.

Don't worry. Talow and I will bear the brunt of the offensive until you've recovered.

Due to a bad opening hand, Morgan's out of pages to play now—she only has her Sturdy Defense and I want to hold on to it for later. I do what I can, but since we should score a few Staggers this turn we should stabilize as long as nobody on our side gets Staggered back.

It doesn't matter which of us falls here… We shall all be stars in the end!

Their faith is quite powerful, but their bodies aren't able to keep up with it.

Unwavering devotion to company and leadership is all we have! If we didn't have that… then what would be the point?

What… would be… the reason… why we worked so hard…? It couldn't be for nothing…

Hey hey, don't let it get to you, Eta43. Just think of the sound! Let it wash over your mind. Get rid of all the thoughts… and you'll be good to go!

Yes… yes. Thank you, brother!

One enemy Staggered, 100 HP gone. We've got 600 to go through from here.

I'm feeling a little more steady now…

And I've caught my breath. Let's go all out and try to finish this before Blue Star can launch another attack.

I'm afraid that's impossible. There are only four of them here.

Regardless, we should be able to handle… three of them, if we play our cards right.

It is my time, brothers… I go now to become a Star..!

That's half of them… Morgan, Hokma, you got the third one, right?

It's already done. Morgan, go for the remaining Worshipper.

I got them!

Ah… how sad. I'm the only one who won't get to join them…

But that doesn't matter!

Yes! None of that matters one bit…

Music: Ominous Wind

For the time has come! Let the sound play once more!

Let us meet as Stars!

Even more Clerks… Just how many did we have?

On any given day, there were between 2 and 100 clerks. We would replace all of them every night, simply to have a fresh stock.

My god. That's so many people…

Most of them were recycled from your templates, without the energy expenditure to become a proper Agent. Why, even Talow has done his fair share of time as a clerk.

Seriously?

Yeah, I did a couple of days. Not a fan.

My life as tribute to the great Star above!!

Now's not the time for that. That one's plotting something.

Because we have a Worshipper at low SR this time, they will use We'll Soon Meet as Stars!!! as their first attack. If this attack hits, it will change all SR of the Librarian they hit to Fatal for the next turn, and also instantly kill the user. This is bad for us, because a dead Worshipper isn't getting sucked into the Blue Star and draining the HP on the shrine.

I'll face it head-on. Hey, old-timer, you see about knocking them for a loop before they get a chance.

Your tone has changed… have you let go of your hostility?

Hell nah, just realized it wasn't useful in the middle of a fight. I'll make fun of you later.

Well, it's a start.

GAH!

Morgan, cover for her.

I'll do my best!

A differently timed shot of the Blue Star Mass Attack shows us something important: The Abnormality is doing a biiig stretch whenever it goes off. :3:

Ahh… the sound! Piercing through me and you alike! Doesn't it make you shiver with anticipation?!

I do anticipate the end… but it's not the end that you envision.

But the clock still moves forward towards it, inexorably.

This shattering is the effect of The Thirteenth Toll, and because of it Hokma is able to deal a decent amount of damage to the enemy's HP despite their immunity to damage. This damage equal to the dice value after all bonus Power, making it quite strong… but completely worthless in this fight as HP does not matter.

The clock moves for us all. Come, join us!

Pretty sure I'll die if you hit me like that again…

That's also fine! The impure shall be purged!

Just take it easy, Robin. We'll be all done after we take out just two more of these guys.

We could also allow two of our own to join it, and we would be finished just the same.

You're not seriously ordering us to…

It is an option. Ultimately, however, I believe the most recent Ayin would frown upon such a method unless it was necessary.

So… is it necessary?

I don't believe so, no.

One of the pierce Worshippers was Staggered by the end of turn effect, leaving us with three targets. Tao Tie should take one attack off of each of them, and thanks to Hokma's +2 Power from Fervor+Nine Children of the Dragon, we're guaranteed to Stagger the Slash-weak worshipper unless we roll minimum damage. Morgan and Robin focus on the Staggered worshipper so that I can recover their Light and hand counts.

The flames… they burn!

Halfway there… not bad, boss!

Yes… soon the Blue Star shall be at its zenith! That satisfaction is what we crave!

In that case, you could have laid down your arms at any time and the star would be satisfied.

The Blue Star wishes for more tribute than our pathetic minds! We must try to take others within it! Until then, we can only wait to be worthy!

That's not how this thing works.

Their faith allows them to believe it so. Words are not going to sway them, Talow.

Once more the gaze falls upon us, my dear family! Once more, one of our own is brought to the sky.

May we meet as stars!

With the enemy down one worshipper this turn and us needing only one Stagger to finish things off, I go all out and have the entire team play the most powerful pages we have in hand.

So… hold up. After we're done here, are we going to be getting all of the Clerks back?

I don't believe so. There are limits to what the Library can currently support… it would likely take too much of the Light to allow them to walk around within the Library itself.

Seriously? What a drag.

Don't worry about us, ma'am! We shall remain in service to the grand Blue Star, a single-use can of human ready to be discarded at any time!

Such is our purpose! Such is our purpose! Such is-

BARF!

And that's about enough of that.

With our tenth Stagger on the enemy secured, the Blue Star sucks the worshipper in at the end of the turn, and the fight immediately ends.

Congratulations are in order… for you have passed the test of the Blue Star! May its holy light guide you on your path ahead!

Let us meet as stars!

It seems our work is done. Still standing, I trust?

I'm just going to say it: gently caress clerks. So much.

Overall, Blue Star is mostly a test of how well we can handle both the Mass Attack turn and the turn immediately following it. There's no tricks or strange gimmicks to be concerned with beyond that, so as long as we just stick to the fundamentals and do them well there's nothing to worry about.

VIDEO
Music: HokmaStory

You’re making an appearance here more frequently than I had thought.

I don’t expect you to enjoy my visits.

You are free to think whatever pleases you. So, what is your business?

There’s something I’d like to hear, Hokma.

Is it something the director of the Library is unaware of…? What would that be?

I want you to tell me what you think of this place.

Are you here for insignificant advice?

…I won’t press you if you don’t feel like giving a response.

…As seen from my eyes—this is a purgatory.

You don’t see it as a plain hell?

It is a preparatory step for their lives to be unraveled in the form of books.

Even if they meet their demise here, they do not actually face death in a true sense.

You know it well. They merely pass into eternal slumber, forfeiting their memories and knowledge.

…Angela. What stops you from letting them go?

The fate of the guests’ lives has yet to be determined, and I presume it is because you are still hesitating.

…I wonder. Why I can’t let them go. Why I hesitate. Our being is made up of the Light, including myself. That’s why we are unable to leave the Library. We simply cannot exist outside of this place. And I want to… break this constraint. All of us here could be given a new life, or we could all perish. The outcome will be either one of the two.

…I’m not sure. Still, this is the path I chose, so I’ve decided to see the end of it.

“Is there any way to navigate this infinite space without getting lost?”

“Where are the books that hold significance? Where is the book that I need the most?”

“Is that book truly what I need? Does it exist at all?”

In this vast void of life, the only compass one can rely on is faith. Without faith, you cannot proceed; even if there is a way.

Because you don’t know what dangers might be lurking in it.

Indeed. And every person seeks their own version of the single perfect book… that must exist somewhere.

Is your faith in it still adamant?

Maybe…

You lack certainty, unlike when you first began the journey. Why is that?

…I don’t know. I’m not even sure if I really know myself anymore. Do you believe it exists, Hokma?

My opinion is not relevant.

I suppose not.

That ‘one book’ can exist because of the strong faith that it exists. When that faith crumbles, so too shall the Library.

It exists because I believe so?

It is evident that the extent of faith differs on an individual basis. For instance, a lunatic’s faith will always be true to them no matter what anyone else may say. It’s not that one believes in the existence of something; the belief is what brings it into existence. And when one’s faith is broken, their soul expires in most cases. Things that have lost their reason to exist because people no longer believe in them shall disappear.

You, however, remained strong. You believed in Sir Ayin just like I did, and even when your faith was betrayed, you sought to start anew on your own two feet.

Perhaps your wish wasn’t limited to freeing yourself… You mayhap want all of us—librarians, and even Abnormalities—to lead their own lives rather than bind themselves to a role on an artificial stage. So that they can live in true independence without putting their lives in the hands of Carmen, Ayin, or anyone else.

It’s up to you to interpret it. Ironic, is it not. Sir Ayin and I irresponsibly created you and gave you life… And now you are irresponsibly trying to give life into our hands.

Say what you want, but you’re still going to stop me.

That depends on your decision. Until then, I shall trust you and wait patiently.

I’ll be going now.

Music: Lobby

Our final Abnormality Battle is over, and with it we're given the usual rewards—three Abnormality Pages to look at.

I just wish they were more exciting.

Martyr is another of those 'Adds a page to your hand' Abnormality Pages, and this time the page gives us a large bonus to Stagger damage dealt, at the cost of taking HP damage whenever we deal it. On average Health Hauler will let us negate the damage this deals to us, making it a chunky bonus to Stagger whenever we can play it. It's useful for guaranteeing a Stagger we'd otherwise miss, but because it becomes a part of the deck instead of always being on it's not as reliable as I'd like.

Penance is next, and it will give us all +1 Strength if anyone on the field is Staggered, limit 1 Stagger. This lets us follow up on advantageous situations by Staggering the enemy and then dealing more damage to them right after, but because it doesn't stack the +1 Strength is kind of lackluster for a level 2 Abnormality Page, particularly as we get further away from the massive 10-person melees we had earlier in Star of the City.

Lastly, we have A Nostalgic Sound. It's a straight 2-4 bonus Stagger damage for our entire team, making it the one page here that doesn't have any downside. However, we only get that bonus damage once every 3 turns after the first time we get it—and as a Level 2 Abnormality Page fights will likely be well in hand by the time it turns on for the first time, let alone the second. Hokma's Abnormality Pages continue to be rather underwhelming compared to some of the absurd stuff we got earlier in the game.

So anyways… how was the counseling sesh? You feeling better?

Nah, I'm still miserable. Just finally getting around to figure out why.

It isn't the 10,000 years of dying?

Well… why else. :rolleyes:

Okay, that's enough Morgan. If you keep digging for information about it he's never going to go back.

Fiiine… In that case, what do you think's taking so long? You were already awake and on the floor by now.

Well, if you think about it, there were a lot of old employees attached to Blue Star. She may have had problems stabilizing them.

There were no such problems.

I spent my time taking stock of this place… a festering wound in the heart of the City itself, and a gathering point of the Light. It will do nicely.

Oh, it's you. Shouldn't you be down with Netzach?

Such small-minded thinking is typical… but wrong. No… I was guided here, to this spot, at this moment, by the hand of Mother. I can feel it, deep within my very soul. This is where I shall become one with the Light.

Hm. I appreciate that she isn't wasting any time.

Why's that? Because you're the last one to show up?

Ha, ha, ha…… Precisely. The Library is all but complete now…

The path is approaching its end, and soon the City shall know despair.

'A lunatic’s faith will always be true to them,' was it?

Listening in, were you?

Yeah. Let's just hope this guy didn't show up why I think he did. That would be a little too much faith for my tastes.

We shall see in time, I'm sure.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

We won't be meeting again for a while… so let's make this poll simple.

What color do you prefer: Orange or Purple?

Videos

Hokma 4

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 3, 2024

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Clerks.

Nuisances, one and all…

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

It is a preparatory step for their lives to be unraveled in the form of books.

Even if they meet their demise here, they do not actually face death in a true sense.

You know it well. They merely pass into eternal slumber, forfeiting their memories and knowledge.
For all of Angela's claims of fairness, her game was rigged from the start. There was never any hope of leaving the Library with a book, because the instant they stepped into the Library they were immediately shoved into what was very probably the same cold storage system used to repeatedly clone Clerks and Agents. Also, this means that farming fights for their books (as well as rematches with enemies you lost to) is canon. Once again, Project Moon's love of gameplay-story integration rears its head. This is also why the whole Red Mist gambit worked, since (similar to the Librarians) none of the Library guests were actually real flesh and blood people.

This does raise the question of how anyone escaped the Library, though, whether it be the Streetlight fixers, Philip or Argalia...Maybe I'm misinterpreting this?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 2, 2024

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Those clerks had families :(

But they will meet again as stars :)

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

We needed efficient workers, the sort who wouldn't complain even if they wandered and handled cleanup all day. At the time, none of their lives mattered anyways…
If it is any condolence, the Clerks have never counted as comrades before now, either.

well gently caress you, too, old man.

GilliamYaeger posted:

This does raise the question of how anyone escaped the Library, though, whether it be the Streetlight fixers, Philip or Argalia...Maybe I'm misinterpreting this?

probably this: simulated guest thinks they're escaping, but is actually derezzed. Their memories of fighting and "escaping" get downloaded into the real guest, who then gets ejected from the library as if they'd escaped.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you for an interesting Let's Play.

Also clerks are nerds

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
So that's what happened to all the clerks. Well at least they're happy? now.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Do characters only refer to what you control, or anyone on the battlefield?

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GilliamYaeger posted:

For all of Angela's claims of fairness, her game was rigged from the start. There was never any hope of leaving the Library with a book, because the instant they stepped into the Library they were immediately shoved into what was very probably the same cold storage system used to repeatedly clone Clerks and Agents. Also, this means that farming fights for their books (as well as rematches with enemies you lost to) is canon. Once again, Project Moon's love of gameplay-story integration rears its head. This is also why the whole Red Mist gambit worked, since (similar to the Librarians) none of the Library guests were actually real flesh and blood people.

If it's the same system that was used to create clerks and agents, each of them likely is a flesh and blood human. It's just that their original is still in storage, waiting to be reused whenever the need arises. Which... oh, god, we probably have the Crying Children, Love Town and Yan down there, as well as two human copies of Philip, huh? That's going to be very hosed for the City if they ever go loose. Probably only one Xiao, though, since she was still hiding inside the Library before her rematch. I imagine someone has to prep her every time we want to have a rematch with her, which is very funny in my head.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019
I object to the claim that A Nostalgic Sound has no downside

My loving ears, gah—

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Oh boy, it's time for everyone's favorite show!

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
So, uh, was the Blue Star supposed to symbolize Carmen's magnetic pull on people?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

KobunFan posted:

So, uh, was the Blue Star supposed to symbolize Carmen's magnetic pull on people?

She did found a cult. Several abnormalities fit that but this one might be the best match.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Penance specifically says "any character" at first and then "all allies" later, so I imagine that if it only activated on "any ally" being staggered it'd have said so. As written I'd expect staggering enemies to deal damage to them next turn and to provide strength to all allies. Meanwhile if one of your allies is staggered you take a bit of damage, but you still get the strength. So it's pretty strong! ...but I never really used Hokma when I didn't have to, so I can't actually say. Binah was right there and she's very fun to use.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Einander posted:

Penance specifically says "any character" at first and then "all allies" later, so I imagine that if it only activated on "any ally" being staggered it'd have said so. As written I'd expect staggering enemies to deal damage to them next turn and to provide strength to all allies. Meanwhile if one of your allies is staggered you take a bit of damage, but you still get the strength. So it's pretty strong! ...but I never really used Hokma when I didn't have to, so I can't actually say. Binah was right there and she's very fun to use.

Can confirm it works on Staggering any unit, I wound up getting very familiar with Hokma due to a later fight and also my compulsion to make themed floors resulting in putting Yan and the Proxies on his floor, thus making a single-target Breakdown page that affects the whole battlefield pretty nice in its own right.

I imagine the effect ends if the single ally it's put on is killed, though.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The other problem with Penance is that it doesn't really help Blockma, which is the tactic that's supported by the Tier 1 cards.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

I'm just going to say it: gently caress clerks. So much.
careful, some of them are petty.

The Blue Star cultists are such cheerful people; who could possibly be angry with them?
I mean, look at this face

Mr. Black is missing out

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

NullBlack posted:

The Blue Star cultists are such cheerful people; who could possibly be angry with them?

Mr. Black is missing out

oh my god this is beautiful. :allears:

Einander posted:

LPFinale posted:

Can confirm it works on Staggering any unit, I wound up getting very familiar with Hokma due to a later fight and also my compulsion to make themed floors resulting in putting Yan and the Proxies on his floor, thus making a single-target Breakdown page that affects the whole battlefield pretty nice in its own right.

I imagine the effect ends if the single ally it's put on is killed, though.

I'll update my hot take on it when I get a minute, then. Always good to know how things actually work. o7

Visions of Valerie
Jun 18, 2023

Come this autumn, we'll be miles away...

NullBlack posted:

The carolers :five:

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

NullBlack posted:

Mr. Black is missing out

Little late for Christmas, but I STILL LOVE IT

Yveltal
Jul 19, 2022

Greenking77 posted:

Not too late for Clerkmas, though!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Greenking77 posted:

Can't even celebrate Christmas right, we did nothing wrong with our treatment of them.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
I just noticed the thread title change. 10/10.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

RandomReader posted:

Can't even celebrate Christmas right, we did nothing wrong with our treatment of them.

I forgot if there was even Christmas in the City considering the City.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Always though the Library worked similarly to the gameplay in Katana Zero: You play a simulation over and over (with different starting seed each time) until you get a winning move and only then is it recorded as true.

Man do I love this game and LP writing. Chef kiss each time there is an update

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

L.U.I.G.I posted:

The most commercialized holiday in the world? Of course they celebrate it. Likely devoid of any religious elements, though.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 3, 2024

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Rudolta of the Sleigh mentions Christmas several times in it's story, flavor texts, and EGO, so yeah, Christmas exists in the City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
I like orange more tbh. It feels better when i look at it.