Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Something to point out for people reading along about game mechanics: buffs that affect "damage" specifically only refer to HP damage, and is affected by weaknesses/strengths from damage type if applicable. "Stagger damage" is the term the game uses if it affects stagger, also affected by damage type if applicable. If a card/trait affects both, it'll say something along the lines of "+x damage and stagger damage".

Power affects both HP and stagger damage, of course, but it does that by making your actual die roll higher/lower.

Always remember, more power = more good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

fun card art detail

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

OneWingedDevil posted:

Something to point out for people reading along about game mechanics: buffs that affect "damage" specifically only refer to HP damage, and is affected by weaknesses/strengths from damage type if applicable. "Stagger damage" is the term the game uses if it affects stagger, also affected by damage type if applicable. If a card/trait affects both, it'll say something along the lines of "+x damage and stagger damage".

Power affects both HP and stagger damage, of course, but it does that by making your actual die roll higher/lower.

Always remember, more power = more good.

I think the answer to this is "yes" from all the talk around it, but to be clear these bonuses to just "damage" don't do anything to determine who wins/loses a clash, but rather just the damage dealt after a successful hit? To boost clashing you just want power, or whatever the similar term is for defense dice.

I have given in and bought this game and am now probably going to beat it in a month or so. Liking how the difficulty is ramping up but have yet to lose a non-abnormality fight.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
We seem to be getting librarians way slower than we get key pages, so things like Lulu's friends are basically just extra outfits to wear....

EDIT: Also, Yesod's stage looks amazing.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 12, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
You make it sound bad, like we're making suits out of their skin and taking their clothes and weapons to put on our librarians.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Honestly, given the pattern so far... Medea's probably our next Librarian for Hod.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Rawkking posted:

I think the answer to this is "yes" from all the talk around it, but to be clear these bonuses to just "damage" don't do anything to determine who wins/loses a clash, but rather just the damage dealt after a successful hit? To boost clashing you just want power, or whatever the similar term is for defense dice.

I have given in and bought this game and am now probably going to beat it in a month or so. Liking how the difficulty is ramping up but have yet to lose a non-abnormality fight.

This is correct, for the most part. The last thing to keep in mind is this:
Power is a general term, and unless it specifies otherwise +1 Power will work on all dice types
Strength is +Power to all offensive dice
Endurance is +Power to all defensive dice

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

lets hang out posted:

fun card art detail

This is why I love being in these threads. I learn so many things about the game that allow me to get better at it. It's like being in a school for gaming! With an amazing art class at noon!

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

lets hang out posted:

fun card art detail

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Crasical posted:

EDIT: Also, Yesod's stage looks amazing.

It looks even cooler then in the screenshots, because the gears turn and the whole thing moves.

...It is also incredibly laggy though unfortunately. LoR usually runs pretty well even on my lackluster computer, but Geartown is different for some reason.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

NullBlack posted:

...nevermind, I'm sure she knows what she's doing.

I like to think that as Lulu goes up the ranks, her bat gets flamier and her collar poofier. At Rank 1 she's just a mountain of fluff wielding a bonfire with her bare hands.

We have deprived the City of an amazing future.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kind of wished me and Bishop could have taken her on. With our Abnormality's power, it'd be literal fire vs fire!

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

+Power effects are essentially a boost to accuracy, damage and defence (using your attack to eat someone else's). It's worth just about anything.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
It's all about +Power in the end.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 6: Streetlight Office

While there are technically 4 "Lulu's Friend" pages, only 2 of them have unique dialogue. Page 2 and 4's dialogue are copies of 1 and 3, respectively, and will not be included here. They're also not obtainable through regular gameplay.

Mars’ Page posted:

My mother was a Fixer with a high grade that every one of my peers would dream of reaching. She was the envy of all, a radiant individual who received endless supplies of various expensive equipment and garnered constant recruit offers from other Offices. Does that mean I had a safe, comfortable childhood under the care and wealth of such a wonderful person? Had that been the case, I would’ve earned a position in one of the Wings already. Being the son of a high-rank Fixer, I was often targeted by Syndicates opposing her, and my mother’s acquaintances held high expectations for me.

At first, I was okay with their expectations. I was already dreaming to follow the path of my mother. In fact, I was hoping to live up to it and hear compliments such as “I knew you could make it!” from others. “Yes. I’m going to become a great Fixer just like my mother. Then she’ll be proud of me one day, right? She’ll proudly say ‘That's my boy’, in front of others.” I studied hard day after day, taking no breaks in-between… Countless times, I held my sword with a strong resolve, and many days I spent weeping alone. Even if I faced setbacks and failures, I believed I could overcome them and stand strong like the protagonist of a movie. As if I could actually be someone great.

But in the end, I grew into an ordinary aspiring Fixer, and I learned that I was only an average person with no talent to show off. When I entered an ordinary Office with my ordinary capabilities, my mother seemed very glad to hear the news. She said an associate Office of the Zwei is a good start, and that I’ll certainly be able to become successful if I work my way up slowly. However, I was greatly disappointed in myself, and I couldn’t look my mother in the eyes until I said my final goodbyes and left the house.

Lulu’s Page posted:

Ugh, crap… Another day without work! Fantastic. There’s got to be some case for us to take care of, like fly tipping or something? I’m gonna forget how to move at this rate… If I told my friends about this, they’re so gonna whine like “Well, isn’t it a good thing that you have a lot of free time~” or “You’re well off, we’re about to starve from the lack of requests~”. Those dummies… Think about it for a moment. You need results to promote to better Fixer grades and see some growth in your Office, right? And that’s gonna lead to higher income for us. For now, I’m working with my boss San and some dork shaped like a ball of rice cake… But things could be better than this in the future, yeah? …It’s not like I have problems with my coworkers!!! I’m talking about stuff like weapons, and Office interior… You know, those kinda things. You get what I mean!

I do bicker with Mars and snap at him often, yes! But that doesn’t mean I hate him. San and Mars are both precious colleagues to me. Though, yeah, I know what you’re about to say. If Fixers develop private feelings for each other, it could be much harder to bear whatever happens down the line. I know what I’m doing is stupid. I have wits, unlike mister rice cake face.

But we’re humans, it’s just… something that can’t be helped. How could we just strictly detach ourselves from one another and focus on work? I tried acting nonchalant, I did, but… I guess I can’t do it. San said he feels the same. I gotta envy Mars for being cool-headed all the time.

Lulu’s Friend, Page 1 posted:

A peacekeeping Office provides protection for requested territories for a certain period of time. Lulu’s is one of those Offices. What are they protecting against, you ask? The City, obviously. What I’m saying is, their job is to keep the area safe from all sorts of happenings and incidents that occur in the City. Of course, there won’t be much to do if the area is too small or peaceful.

But, man. Compared to us who have to wait indefinitely for someone to make a request… Lulu’s living a good life. At least she does something. And they don’t have to worry about starving to death even if they don’t get requests.

Lulu’s Friend, Page 3 posted:

As her friend, it’s unfortunate that Lulu is struck with grief. I don’t have any tears to shed for her, though. I’ve got my share of rough experiences, I’m just not sharing it with others. Well, I did say I’ll help her out, but the truth is… My Office figured that we could find plenty of valuable loot in the Library. And that’s pretty tempting. The other one is probably thinking the same thing as me. I mean, what dummy would actually head to such a dangerous place motivated purely by a friend’s sob story? That kind of intimate and deep relationship is long gone from this world. Especially in this business.

That’s why I can’t understand Lulu. Sure, let’s say that her colleague died there. Even then, she should be valuing her own life, shouldn’t she? She can be so stupid at times… Welp, I have to go in with her anyway.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Rawkking posted:

Let me just say that this game knows what escalation is.

Edit: Oh, Fixer stories.

Mars sounds like he would actually be really competent given enough time, but he set himself up for disappointment in his naivety. Given that he apparently can be much more powerful than his peers, it really does feel like it was a matter of time before he made it big.... if we hadn't booked him.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 12, 2021

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Keldulas posted:

Mars sounds like he would actually be really competent given enough time, but he set himself up for disappointment in his naivety. Given that he apparently can be much more powerful than his peers, it really does feel like it was a matter of time before he made it big.... if we hadn't booked him.

Much like the protagonist of a shonen series that got cancelled prematurely, really. In the end, it's not his story.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Torchlighter posted:

Much like the protagonist of a shonen series that got cancelled prematurely, really. In the end, it's not his story.

Too bad for him that the villains learned about the power of friendship and not fighting alone in the previous arc.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Through the power of friendship and love we SHALL TAKE OVER THE WORLD BUAHHAHAHA!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If only The Brain learned that Pinky's friendship was the key all along. Before it was too late :(

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What do you wanna do tonight, Angela?

The same thing we do every night, Roland: Turn people into books.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rawkking posted:

haha

hahahaha

It's longer than you think, D.A.D.! Longer than you think! I'm at like 74 hours and PROBABLY closing in on the endgame, but it's still largely quite fun.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MinutePirateBug posted:

Through the power of friendship and love we SHALL TAKE OVER THE WORLD BUAHHAHAHA!

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021

:five: :five: :five:
Team rocket will always get a :five:

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Yeah, Ruina tends to be like a hundred hours or more for most people. Doable in a month, but I wouldn't recommend it :v:

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

ZeroCount posted:

+Power effects are essentially a boost to accuracy, damage and defence (using your attack to eat someone else's). It's worth just about anything.

Too bad a deck is only allowed 4, right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm so glad that San was sensible and didn't join Lulu on her doomed vengeance quest.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Sensible nothing, Lulu left on her own and didn’t tell San.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Theantero posted:

Yeah, Ruina tends to be like a hundred hours or more for most people. Doable in a month, but I wouldn't recommend it :v:

actually it's doable in 4 days and a bit if you try really hard :v:

Mr. Stizblee
Aug 24, 2021

Rawkking posted:

Probably going to beat it in a month or so.

If you've played Lobotomy Corp or read the lp, you should probably know better by this point.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Mr. Stizblee posted:

If you've played Lobotomy Corp or read the lp, you should probably know better by this point.

Well I guess I have more time to enjoy the game, I'm not rushing myself and only 19 hours in.

I just read the LP for Lobotomy corp because memorizing every aspect of abnormalities and remembering them in real time doesn't appeal to me in a way that optimizing competitive decks with each new booster pack you gain does.

sandnavyguy
Sep 12, 2015

GreyjoyBastard posted:

haha

hahahaha

It's longer than you think, D.A.D.! Longer than you think! I'm at like 74 hours and PROBABLY closing in on the endgame, but it's still largely quite fun.

Nice reference! One of the short stories of King’s that stuck with me the hardest as nightmare fuel as a kid.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Torchlighter posted:

According to the art book, we are supposed to believe Mars and Lulu are only 4 years older than fellow booked Shonen protag Finn. San, on the other hand, is supposed to be 29 years old, making him ancient by anime standards.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Man, I hate being in my thirties. Designated 'old man' by anime archetypes.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
So how's it feel being immortal?

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Crasical posted:

Man, I hate being in my thirties. Designated 'old man' by anime archetypes.

I say embrace it. Prepare random bits of "sage advice" from your many decades of life for your youthful compatriots. Tell them stories of the Nineties as if they were sixty years ago. Be the old guy.

EDIT: VVVV I never said you had to talk about the Nineties like you enjoyed them.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 13, 2021

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Chinely
Apr 13, 2018

i swear this game is 50% "having real friendships is for losers these days" and 50% "i love you my best friend!! i'm going to fight to the death for you!!!". in the same content, usually. probably some kind of running theme .....

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
The setting walks an interesting line, because I think it does place real value on stuff like friendship and love and having a set of ideals that you cling to, while at the same time taking the position that the world is a cruel and lovely place and good people trying to do the right thing can still die petty and meaningless deaths at the drop of a hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
A little extra bit of trivia: Roland has a special line when fighting against enraged Lulu with him basically saying it's just business.

Roland: "Sorry about your friend, pal. But he was just doing his job, you know… I’m sure you’ll understand as a fellow Fixer, right?"