Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Wasn't the reasoning for the light seed project to unlock the potential of humanity or whatever?

What's to say an individual turning into a monstrous abomination isn't that individual unlocking their potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Marluxia posted:

What's to say an individual turning into a monstrous abomination isn't that individual unlocking their potential?

Could you imagine knowing that your true potential is Mara

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Marluxia posted:

Wasn't the reasoning for the light seed project to unlock the potential of humanity or whatever?

Should have let Adam win, then everyone would unlock their full potential! Or die I guess.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Qrr posted:

Should have let Adam win, then everyone would unlock their full potential! Or die I guess.

Reminder: It's official that The Head would have been able to eventually deal even with that nightmare scenario.

Just something to keep in mind.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Qrr posted:

Not or— and.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

MetaMeme posted:

hello ladies

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

MetaMeme posted:

Honestly, I can think of worse fates.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

my dad posted:

Of course the head would've been able to deal with it; in that scenario they would also be abnormalities and would just call it a day.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Mecha_Face posted:

This is debatable, I think. Did the distortions happen because the light was taken away, or did they happen because the light was there at all? Again, the light was created through the use of terrible abominations, and light is not necessarily good because it makes people feel good. Lots of things make people feel good that have negative consequences for being exposed to them. Maybe LoR will give answers to this.

Marluxia posted:

That doesn't logically follow. All we know is that those stuff apparently only started happening after the light happened, so we can at least hang those events originating from that. But there's nothing to prove that the darkness was part of it. As was mentioned earlier, the light was farmed from extremely similar monsters.

Angela's apparent interpretation, from the lobco epilogue, was that hijacking the tree of light is specifically what caused the distortions to be chaotic/destructive.

TeeQueue posted:

The world was covered with darkness for four days. Only weak and fragile seeds were planted from the light that should have shone upon the world for seven days, yet merely lasted for three. Those incomplete seeds gave humanity unstable powers. They called these three days and four nights the week of ‘White Nights and Dark Days’.
(...)
Those humans… There will be those who manifest their power, and those who will be consumed by such power. Beings will exist that become nothing better than the Abnormalities with their collapsed egos, and beings that shall become something greater. No matter what it may be… I wish to know about them, to expose them. Then ultimately, I would like to sort the knowledge I have gained about them. ‘Books’ are the name as I recall?

my dad posted:

Reminder: It's official that The Head would have been able to eventually deal even with that nightmare scenario.

If the light had gone for all 7 days, would they have been able to stop humanity from evolving into gay space wizards, or whatever A/Carmen's endgame was supposed to be?

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands
To add my own two cents on the whole "it came from monsters" bit, don't forget what exactly we were extracting from the abnormalities: PE and NE boxes. A positive interaction? Gain a PE box. Abno grows hostile? NE box get. Keep the PE boxes and add toward the light, while discarding all the negativity. Add in the collective subconscious origin, and we are literally cherry picking the best parts of humanity to distribute back to everyone.

Winterdragon2004 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 26, 2021

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

silentsnack posted:

If the light had gone for all 7 days, would they have been able to stop humanity from evolving into gay space wizards, or whatever A/Carmen's endgame was supposed to be?

I mean, doing something that The Head can't stop is a big part of the plan, I'm just pointing out that anything short of that is just another bad Tuesday for The Head.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Evil Kit posted:

It's also a bit of an assumption to call Abnormalities "terrible abominations" and blame them for the result, when the whole point was they were extracted from what is essentially humanities collective unconscious. Yes they were twisted and generally contained negative/bad feelings, but they also contained positive/good feelings that were the primary driver of the energy collected. Hell, a number were even sentient and communicative if not particularly sane or at all human. Simply saying "oh it's because it was made from horrible monsters of course the end product caused horrible things!" is IMO missing the entire process which was to extract the buried goodness and positivity in a depressed, broken world from the collective shattered psyche of humans.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that basically humans were the monsters all along.
Yeah, while there were horrific abominations that just wanted to kill people, there were also plenty of Abnormalities that were content to just sit in containment - or even go out of their way to help out - until you seriously hosed up. Queen of Hatred (when she wasn't having an episode) and Knight of Despair, Der Shooty and Red Riding Mercenary, One Sin, Crumbling Armor, La Luna, Old Lady, Child of the Galaxy...hell, even scary ones like Snow Queen give plenty of leniency and warning before they attack if you gently caress up with them, and Snow Queen even rewards you if you impress her by saving someone who pissed her off.

Pissing an abnormality off to the point where they break out and go berserk is treated as a massive failure in caretaking.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 26, 2021

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Winterdragon2004 posted:

To add my own two cents on the whole "it came from monsters" bit, don't forget what exactly we were extracting from the abnormalities: PE and NE boxes. A positive interaction? Gain a PE box. Abno grows hostile? NE box get. Keep the PE boxes and add toward the light, while discarding all the negativity. Add in the collective subconscious origin, and we are literally cherry picking the best parts of humanity to distribute back to everyone.

:hmmyes:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the way I understand it from LobCorp and WonderLab is that the 7 days of light was meant to plant and nourish seeds of positive transformative collective subconscious energy, which would allow all humans in the city to be empowered and destroy the brutal regime of the Head. 3 days of light was enough to give transformative energy and weaken the barrier between reality and the sea of consciousness, but Angela shutting it off there and taking it for herself causes those seeds to be weak, and easily corrupted into monstrous transformations instead of empowering ones.

Basically the idea was to make every human on earth Kali/Geburah (she’s noted as uniquely capable of wielding EGO to it’s full potential, and has Nothing There’s weapons in the backstory). At which point the ahead loses because it’s powers are no longer overwhelming when everyone is a god unto their own subconscious imagination/ego.

This doesn’t make it a good thing kind, but it would shatter the stranglehold the Head maintains via Arbiters.

Mr. Stizblee
Aug 24, 2021

the Orb of Zot posted:

(I have not watched the opening to avoid the usual trend of openings spoiling things, I’m just assuming Angela wouldn’t want any of A’s baggage holding her back in her library quest)

The only things the opening has that could be considered spoilers is a couple of pictures and silhouettes of characters who haven't shown up yet. it doesn't even really hint at their role in the story. It has something that could be considered a spoiler for Lobotomy Corporation but if you're already familiar with that game there's no reason to avoid it.

Spoiler tag for something in the opening => It also shows some pictures of the Sephirot in this games art style at around the 1:31 mark so that's another one of your theories debunked.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 2: Rats—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Whenever we start a reception, we begin by viewing both our and the enemy's stats on this screen. It's also used for selecting which floor we'll be receiving the guests on, but right now we only have Keter. On the right, we see our floor. By clicking on the characters along the top, we can see the details for each character we have. Below them is the stat block of the Librarian's current Key Page. We'll talk more about those once we have a couple—for now let's look at what the stats mean.

1: HP. When this is reduced to 0, the Librarian dies.

2: Stagger Resist. When this is reduced to 0, the Librarian is Staggered.

3: Dice speed. This is the range that the Librarian's speed dice can roll during initiative. In general, the higher this goes the better.

4: Resistances. These show how resistant the Librarian is to various attack types. The three symbols represent, from top to bottom: Slash, Pierce, and Blunt-type attacks. The red side shows the resistances against HP damage, and the yellow side shows resistance against Stagger damage. Since Roland's stats are the same for both HP and Stagger damage, Roland will take 1x damage from Slash-type attacks (Normal), 1.5x damage from Pierce-type attacks (Weak), and 2x damage from Blunt-type attacks (Fatal).

Later on, we'll also be seeing Endured (0.5x damage), Ineffective (0.25x damage), and Immune (0.0x damage) as well, making it always a good idea to eye these statistics if only to make sure that our Librarian's pages will be able to damage the opponent, or to ensure their pages won't be able to harm us too much. Speaking of, we should check out our opponents.

Each one of them has roughly 1/3rd of Roland's HP and Stagger Resist. If we look at the bottom of the screen, we can also see the combat pages of each combatant. Here's what an average page from the Rats looks like, which I'll use to discuss how to read them.

1: Light cost. Pages are powered by Light, and we cannot play a page costing more light than we have. Generally, Librarians recover 1 light per turn.

2: The attack type. There are three possible attack types: Melee, Ranged, and Mass Attack. This sword means that it's a Melee attack—we won't have to worry about the other types for a while, so I'll explain how they work when we see them.

3: Dice summary. This is an at-a-glance summary of how many dice the page has, and in what order.

4: Dice information. This section holds a full list of all of the dice that a page has, as well as its possible rolls and any effects the page has. The red icons represent offensive dice, which use the Slash, Pierce, and Blunt icons that we've seen above to show which resistance they target. The Blue icon with a shield on it is a defensive die—specifically a Block die. These are used to avoid or mitigate damage from offensive dice. There are also Evade dice, which use the following symbol:

We'll talk more about dice as they come up. Now that we know what one of the average Rats' pages looks like, let's take a look at a 1-cost page from Roland.

This is arguably the weakest page in our deck, and it effectively can't lose against the one we saw earlier. They don't have a chance. :getin:

After we're done looking over our and our opponents' vital statistics, we can start things off by hitting Begin Stageplay.

Music: KeterBattle01

Chatty bunch, aren't they?

I don't think you have any room to speak about that.

Right… at least this time it'll be their limbs that go flying.

In the first part of each turn (called 'Scenes'), our job is to either click on the icon in top-center or press the space bar in order to roll initiative. Until this is done, everyone's speed dice (the dice above their heads) will show the possible range of rolls they can get.

Once we roll, the game tells us about the intricacies of speed dice. Redirects don't actually matter until we have more than one Librarian, so I'll talk more about all of this later.

Highlighting one of our speed dice will show us the Librarian's hand, as well as any attacks that are targeting them. We can also highlight an enemy die, which will show us who they're targeting and what page they're going to attack with.

Clicking on the die will let us choose a page from our hand to use. We need Light in order to use pages, represented by the three yellow dots above Roland's head.

I decide to go with Focused Strikes, a 3-cost page and the most powerful one in the deck. Once I do, our mouse now leads around a blue arrow that will target whichever speed die we click it on. After taking a peek at our options, I see that Lenny is using a slash attack, and Pete's page only has an Evade die. Mang-chi is using a pierce attack, though—and Roland is weak against those. I decide to target him, which causes a Clash.

Clashes occur whenever two speed dice are targeting each other, and are faceoffs between the dice on the pages to determine who damages whom. They're also the primary generator of Emotion, which is a concept that we're going to completely ignore until it becomes more relevant later on.

After selecting a target, the game chimes in with a couple more tooltips.

Quick mode is a godsend, and we will almost never be turning it off. Without it we'd have to press space for every die roll in the entire combat. This is a lot of die rolls.

The autofill command will play the game for us. The hotkey to perform this on keyboard is P, and "P-space" has become a term in the game's community for letting the autobattle do all of the work. Like any tool that lets me get away with not thinking, I'm a big fan of autofill.

Lastly, there's the targeting display. The usefulness of this tool cannot be overstated—it lets us quickly see where the enemy is targeting in larger battles, and also keeps track of which of our characters are or aren't getting a clash in after we've set up our own moves.

For reference, here's what the enemy targeting display looks like when turned on.

And here's clash targeting. We can have as many or few of these up at a time as we want, and I'll likely be using them to give the idea about where the pressure is going. Once we've finished setting everything up, we can click on the icon in the top-center again, or press space bar to begin the turn.

Oh man… here goes!

In clashes between offensive dice, the higher die breaks the lower die and deals the damage rolled to the enemy.

You're too slow. Nothing personal.

Gh..! I bit my tongue!

In this case, we rolled a 4 to his 1, and Roland dealt the enemy 4*1.5x (weakness) damage and stagger damage, for a total of 6. Since Mang-chi has only 5 Stagger Resistance, this means he's Staggered. Staggered characters:

-Cannot act
-Do not recover Light at the start of a turn
-Do not draw a page at the start of a turn
-Have all resistances changed to Fatal (2x damage)

Being Staggered lasts for the rest of the turn that it's triggered+1 additional turn. However… we still have two more attacks.

The second one takes Mang-chi out. Every time an opponent is defeated, we get one or more books based on their emotion level. We'll still get the books they've dropped even if we lose the reception, though if we lose we also give up whatever books we had to use to make the invitation.

Since Pete only used a defensive die, Lenny deals the only actual damage we take this turn. By the by, those neon lights that come out of the dice are related to the emotion system. We're still ignoring them for now.

Characters dying also generates dialogue, from the killer as well as the dead person and their teammates. There's a lot of incidental talking in this game.

Music: GuestBattle01

After all of the pages that have been played are finished resolving, the Scene ends and we start over from the beginning. That's the basic flow of a turn in Library of Ruina, and while there are some wrinkles which will give us more to think about as we go the basic structure will always remain the same. Don't worry too much about the sudden music shift, that happens when the enemy's total Emotion is higher than our own—since there's more of them than us, this is going to be the case for the rest of the fight.

You've slain one of them already. How efficient.

That's the job, isn't it? Wait, how are we talking right now?

It's another power of this place. Should the Library will it, parties here can converse remotely.

Another convenient power. Well then, do you have any advice for me, ma'am?

Yes. Win.

...Thank you. I'll do that.

Despite spending 3 Light last turn, our Light has recovered fully and we've gained an extra one for a total of 4. This is because of Emotion Levels, which I'm still not going to explain yet—for now just know that a page's Light cost doesn't mean anything in the tutorial stages.

We've also drawn another Focused Strikes! Each turn all our Librarians draw one page—this goes the same for most guests as well. Lenny and Pete are both using Bash attacks, but Pete's has a Block die on it so I opt to try and clear Lenny out next.

She's a bit more resilient to Slash attacks, so our first hit doesn't stagger her.

You're kidding me..!

The second one does, however.

And the third hit is lethal. Focused Strikes can effectively down any one of the Rats in a single turn. It's very powerful.

Just you and me, now.

You killed them both like it was nothing… Dammit!

Oho? You seem pretty upset there, dear guest.

Of course I am!

I'll see you pay for their lives with yours!

Gh..!

Are you still able to fight?

After that? It was just a scratch. This guy couldn't even have touched me if I wasn't taking on all three at once.

I see. You're certainly sturdier than the humans I'm accustomed to.

I'll take that as a compliment, ma'am~

While we didn't get another Focused Strikes, Light Attack is still enough to beat any page in the Rats' decks.

Like so. I managed to get a good frame of the die breaking from the clash this time.

I guess… this is the end...

This is a good shot of the broken die effect when someone is Staggered.

It seems like he's one good hit away from death…

Then you know what to do. Handle it.

This turn is really more of a formality than anything else, it's rare for any standard opponent to survive for very long after they've been Staggered.

Once all of our enemies are defeated, we get a nice little victory screen. Then, since this is the only fight in this reception...

The reception ends here, with our victory.

Music: Result

On the results screen, we have the books we've earned appear on the left—if we lost the reception, any books we lose go here as well. In the middle we can see which floors defeated which foes, and on the right is a tracker of any Battle Symbols that our Librarians have gained.

Battle Symbols are cosmetic equipment which give a minor bonus to stats, and they're unlocked by doing a variety of tasks. I rarely pay attention to them unless I'm trying to make a Librarian look cool—even the most powerful among them are just a 5% chance to gain +1 power on a die roll. I'll likely just compile a full list of them much, much later down the line and leave them there.

Most main story beats have an extra scene which plays after the Reception. When we click Curtains Closed to move on, it plays.

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

It’s all part of the City life. You have to belong to a group, be it a Syndicate or anything else. Living in the City gets too tough otherwise.

After the scene, we officially open Keter—The Floor of General Works. We're not quite out of tutorial country yet, though.

That battle wasn't so bad, but I wouldn't mind having a few more options on hand.

The Library has a solution to that. The guests who have been turned into books shall become new strength.

Yet another on the list of convenient powers this place has…

It is incredibly convenient, yes.

While we're on the main screen, we'll hold off on discussing it for a moment. Right now, the game wants us to click "Burn Books" on the left side.

This takes us to the book burning menu, where we can select some of the books we just won to burn them—think of it like opening a booster pack of new cards.

When we click on our Book of Rats, a list of its contents are shown to the left. Rewards come in Key Pages and regular Combat Pages. These are arranged into sets, meaning that if we were to draw 3 copies of Gut Harvesting, we wouldn't see any more until we either reset the rewards using the 'Reset Rewards' button at the top or pulled through the entire set of rewards. There are four types of page rarity, which affects both how often the pages show up and how many copies of its Key Page we can own. They are here:

Paperback - Green pages, the most common reward type. We can own up to 5 copies of any Paperback Key Page

Hardcover - Blue pages, effectively uncommons. We can own up to 4 copies of any Hardcover Key Page

Limited - Purple pages, basically rares. We can own up to 3 copies of any Limited Key Page.

Objet d'art - Yellow pages, these are our super rares. We can own only 1 copy of any Objet d'art Key Page. In addition, any given deck cannot contain more than 1 copy of any Objet d'art Combat Page.

Anyways, once we've selected the books we want to burn, we simply click 'Burn Books' in the lower right.

When we do, we get a really neat animation of the book shaking and then exploding into a bright light. When it does…

We get new pages! Each book burned gives 8 random pages from the set of rewards available.

These rewards include more Combat Pages, like the ones we use to fight with—for some reason the things we get from Rats are far more powerful than anything they used, but hey I'm not going to question it. :v:

We also get Key Pages. Key pages are the core on which our units are built. They have their own HP, Stagger Resist, Resistances, and Speed stats. Later on they'll also get passive abilities which can further define and mold our strategy.

I generally farm battles until I've got all of the new Key Pages it can drop. Doing this will give us the widest variety of options when it comes to dealing with later problems.

I proceed to immediately burn every Book of Rats we have except for one. It's a good idea to hold on to one copy of every book, since those books are what open up future receptions.

So we have these new pages now… How does this work? ...I don't have to eat it, do I?

Please refrain from consuming the new pages. I shall handle the alignment process personally. Please wait a moment.

For now, we'll end things with the Combat Bookshelf. This is where we change our decks, Key Pages, and just generally set up our Librarians to fight. By clicking Key Pages on top, or on our current Key Page's name on the right, we can select one of our new Key Pages to equip over Roland's default outfit.

Our boy is now a gut-harvesting hobo with a dream. Perfection.

Decks are saved to the Key Page itself instead of the Librarian, making it easy to swap decks between Librarians once we have a few more of them.

Once that's done, I head back to this page to set up Roland's deck. The interface is easy to use, just click on a Page to move it into the deck, click on one in the deck to remove it. We can have a maximum of 3 copies of most Pages in a deck, though as a reminder the yellow Objet d'art pages are restricted to 1 copy.

I dunno… this outfit just doesn't feel right on me.

Lastly, we have Librarian Info. We can use the boxes on the right to equip the Battle Symbols we've acquired in our receptions in order to get minor bonuses.

Using the eye icon in the upper left, we can also turn on or off the visual effect on our Librarian. With the Patron Librarians like Roland, I'll generally leave them off.

Lastly, there's the Customize Librarian button. This takes us to an area where we can change the appearance and dialogue of normal Librarians. There's a lot of options here, but they're all fairly self explanatory.

Most importantly for our purposes, we can use Appearance Projection to have the appearance of one Key Page while we're wearing another. We put Roland back in his suit.

There we go. I just don't feel right unless I'm wearing a suit.

I wasn't aware one could attach sentimental value to clothing.

Sure. Think about it, even you must have an outfit that stands out in your mind. Maybe that feather dress?

...This is foolish. I shall see if the next invitation is prepared.

Sure thing, ma'am~

In the future I'll be doing most of the book burning, character equipment, and deck finagling in the background. I'll call attention to anything particularly noteworthy, of course, but there's only so many ways I can say "we just use the strongest stuff we have."

Next time, on Library of Ruina

They abandoned a cat. None shall be spared.

Video

Rats 2

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 13, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Hey, remember that SNAP TQ linked near the start?

That plays every time you advance a turn or roll a die.

And yet, it'll never, ever get old.

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
...mayhaps forgetting about the fact that Speed Die can redirect attacks is why I've been struggling so much with this game. :doh:

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I was wondering what took this update so long. In hindsight I should've realized it was because TQ would have to explain this galaxy brain combat system.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

SL the Pyro posted:

I was wondering what took this update so long. In hindsight I should've realized it was because TQ would have to explain this galaxy brain combat system.

It was this, and also that I do absolutely nothing on Wednesday and Thursday mornings because those are my weekend and I use the time to recuperate.

In terms of actual time spent, this update was still like... a 3-nighter in terms of work. That's comparable to Day 40 - Gameplay Again in the last thread. :sweatdrop:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Lousy LP with forcing Library of Ruina up my game queue to play immediately :D. I knew I was going to want to play the game myself before watching the LP myself this time around.

Also means I miss things, like the fact that you can reset rewards from books. Know a book I would've definitely reset for.

Honestly, I always taken the part about the cards we get from the Rats being more powerful is the library itself. The library is creating the pages, so why wouldn't it also add power.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So Angela's new hobby is to hide in a reclusive magic library so she can lure people to it and get her pet shady mercenary to twat them in the head with a stick.

Surely a printing press is a less complicated means of getting books.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I have never felt the need to reset a book's rewards, and I've always been too paranoid to hit P, but I did need to disable quick mode until I learned to process the dice results faster.

I'm curious to know if TeeQueue or anyone else will do a regular roundup of pages, with an explanation of the best way to use each one (if they're any good).

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Optional cosmetics which does almost nothing... Yep, gonna make sure that everyone earns everything. It is nice that at least cosmetics has a goal-oriented grind instead of gacha, like pages.

And I expect game to nerf received pages from later stages in the game. Better savor buffs while they last :)

One thing TQ didn't show is advanced filter in combat deck building. Probably because it isn't needed yet, but it also spoils existense of fuckload of game mechanics.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Hopefully the other combat updates won't be nearly as much of a headache to make.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Solitair posted:

Hopefully the other combat updates won't be nearly as much of a headache to make.

Ahh…. We haven’t even touched on emotion yet. :ohdear:

If you understand the emotion system then the game is yours. Unfortunately, this is impossible. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

TeeQueue posted:

Ahh…. We haven’t even touched on emotion yet. :ohdear:

If you understand the emotion system then the game is yours. Unfortunately, this is impossible. :v:

Now you've really piqued my interest!

This looks like a pretty solid set of game mechanics. It does look pretty fun to play. I'll have to give it a shot when I get some free time for it.

Interesting that we start with Keter this time, from a symbolic perspective. We're still descending down through the sephirot, but this time we're starting from the godhood end and, presumably heading toward human.
Which feels rather appropriate for Angela.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Solitair posted:

I have never felt the need to reset a book's rewards, and I've always been too paranoid to hit P, but I did need to disable quick mode until I learned to process the dice results faster.

I'm curious to know if TeeQueue or anyone else will do a regular roundup of pages, with an explanation of the best way to use each one (if they're any good).
I'll start pointing out the more notable cards once we get to the point where cards actually start being worth notice - which won't be for a couple of fights. Also the fights in the early game have been nerfed into the ground so hard they're pushing out the other side of the planet - it's not uncommon to kill opponents with a single card, as shown here. It's kind of sad, really.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

...gently caress.

Okay so I've actually got a friends who's been playing through Ruina, and they have been very adamant that this would be a 'me' game. I've been hesitant because, as much as I liked LobCorp, the actual gameplay made me retch.

But this... This looks to be extremely my jam...

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Losing the tutorial fight would've been embarrassing after all. If they have Gut Harvesting, they could Stagger and kill Roland. Also, it's very nice of them to not have hard hitting pierce and blunt attacks.

Tatters
Jan 29, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

We get new pages! Each book burned gives 8 random pages from the set of rewards available.

I would like to note that this is not always true, unless they changed how it works. I've had books give me anywhere from 3-8 depending on the book in question.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

TeeQueue posted:

Quick mode is a godsend, and we will almost never be turning it off. Without it we'd have to press space for every die roll in the entire combat. This is a lot of die rolls.

HERESY.

What's even the point of the dice if you aren't viscerally rolling them every time :v:

I will never quick mode, even if it takes me a thousand years extra.

Also, presumably the Key Page Stories will be posted as well, in an extra update or something? The thread needs delicious LORE to argue about.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

Also, presumably the Key Page Stories will be posted as well, in an extra update or something? The thread needs delicious LORE to argue about.

Coming probably tomorrow:

Book 2: Rats—Appendix

(This means yes. :D )

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeeQueue posted:

Coming probably tomorrow:

Book 2: Rats—Appendix

(This means yes. :D )

How do you get a Rat's appendix?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
My personal lore for why the Rat pages you get are way better than what they themselves use is that their weeny constitution simply cannot hold up to their potential fighting capability.

Roland shall be the Omega Rat, with fully realized Rat powers.

LPFinale
Dec 8, 2019

Theantero posted:

My personal lore for why the Rat pages you get are way better than what they themselves use is that their weeny constitution simply cannot hold up to their potential fighting capability.

Roland shall be the Omega Rat, with fully realized Rat powers.

He shall be the giant Rat who makes all of da rules

Rules may or may not be made by Angela instead, consult your library overlord to determine whether or not being the giant Rat is right for you

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

So nice of the game to give us the un-nerfed version of the Rat's combat cards, rather than the total garbage that they use now. At least we get to see what their original power once was.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I feel vaguely bad for luring these 'nice folks' into the library and then murdering them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LPFinale posted:

He shall be the giant Rat who makes all of da rules

Rules may or may not be made by Angela instead, consult your library overlord to determine whether or not being the giant Rat is right for you

Angela doesn't make the rules but she does ratify them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
This combat system gives me a headache.

God I am excited.