Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha_Face
Dec 17, 2016

dervival posted:

Had we not booked him, Gyeong-Mi would've revolutionized communications by introducing punch cards.

I catch up to the thread again just to see this? I want my money back, and I didn’t even spend anything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

dervival posted:

Had we not booked him, Gyeong-Mi would've revolutionized communications by introducing punch cards.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Art—410.55—Child of the Galaxy

Music: Lobby

Oh, you're finally using a Key Page?

It turns out I didn't really like dying much. But I don't really care much for deck building, so…

I lent him the one I used last time! I made a little tweak, but I can guarantee its power!

Making sure to do what you can, right?

You got it!

I just want it to work. Mr.Black went a little…

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Power mad, I guess.

Seems like you could use a drink.

If not now, then definitely after the work's done.

Every part of me is positively HUGE!

For Mr.Black, I went with a basic Brawl build, taking advantage of its properties to fire off no-downsides Scratch That!s and Daring Decisions. If I was thinking properly, Commandeering would probably be Retaliate instead… but I wasn't, so this is what we get. We're only using 3-costs because Mr.Black is only going to be using a single page every turn, using any more than that could risk Brawl becoming a dead page. Gyeong-mi is our Key Page of choice, so that we have the option of skipping turns to regain extra Light.

The downside is that Brawl decks are insanely luck-based, and there's a very real chance that we just wind up with a hand of 3 Daring Decision and no Brawl. :lobcorp:

We're all set, ma'am…

As our progress is currently stopped until the Library matures, I shall remind you that it's vital for you to succeed should you ever want to leave.

Could really do without the pressure.

Think of it this way: it's a the playground that's made for us! We can kill and die as much as we like, and in the end none of it's even remotely lethal! Why, it makes us medics positively pointless! HAHAHA! Who needs job security when you're having fun?!

…Let's just try and one-and-done this.

I trust that you'll handle it properly.

SNAP

Music: AbnormalityBattle01

Ah, it's you. You always made life a little easier, until you killed a whole mess of people at once.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. He sure saved us a lot of trouble during that last Joshuapocalypse!

Man… I'd blocked out how much of a mess that was to clean up, too…

Child of the Galaxy posted:

We’re together forever. Besties always stick together.

Friends always stay next to each other. Don’t forget the promise, okay?

If no one remains by my side, I’ll be so stricken with sadness.

Never leave my side. You have to stay with me forever.

If my friend gets hurt… That would be sad.

While Child of the Galaxy is present, it's untargetable. In order to defeat it, we have to fight against its friends.

Their stats aren't particularly intimidating, and their weakness to Pierce attacks is great for Netzach's Retaliates. As for their passives…

Every turn, they recover 4 HP, and they cannot die on their own, being stuck at 1 HP instead. While either one of them is at 1 HP, every combatant loses 10% of their max HP, effectively negating their healing while whittling down our HP. Finally, if we do knock one down to 1 HP, we have two turns to knock the other one down. If we can't, then the first goes back up to the health of the remaining combatant.

Both of the Friends are using Glimmer, a page which attempts to dodge our attacks and inflict Fragile on our Librarians, to up the damage we take from their attacks. It can be troublesome to deal with, but anything that leads with a defensive die works well to deal with the Evade.

Netzach leads with a clash that'll probably wind up making him eat an attack, but we'll deal counter damage and get Endurance up for the next turn. As for Mr.Black, we got a Brawl with decent odds of getting a free Daring Decision. With his deck, if I see a Brawl I play it.

Netzach is also going to use his second die to get a bit of extra damage in. As mentioned before, Mr.Black will not be doing this.

Malkuth was right. This does work pretty nicely.

It takes hits far better as well! Your body seems far less squishy than before!

Probably for the best.

The Child's friends fire space lasers on hit. :allears:

Mr.Black's Brawl hits Commandeering instead of Daring Decision, but the rolls are good enough to eat through 20 Stagger Resist in a single turn so… I guess I'd call that pretty lucky overall? :shrug:

Why, Netzy! I'm feeling positively RISQUE!

I see where you're going with this. Just… don't grow anything out of your face again, and we'll call it fine.

That certainly sounds like me, but I'm afraid I haven't the foggiest what you mean!

Oh right… you guys experienced it differently… Nevermind, it's nothing. Enjoy your risk.

With gusto, good sir!

With us having the upper hand, ideally we'd knock down the first of Child of the Galaxy's two friends, and set up the second one to fall the very next turn.

Mr.Black drew a second copy of Brawl, so we throw it out immediately. The friend is using Star Shower, a series of weak 2-4 attacks designed to take advantage of Fragile to deal a lot of damage.

While I'm having a taste of this one, I don't suppose you'd be take care of the other one?

It's as good a plan as any.

HAHAHA! Splendid!

Commandeering and Deflect are enough to knock this friend down to 1 HP, though it won't die due to its passive.

I don't think we can kill it normally. How're things on your end?

I'm really feeling it this time! These muscles are wonderful!

Those dice… those are Daring Decision dice.

And Daring Decision hits like a truck. :black101:

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Once one of its friends is reduced to 1 HP, Child of the Galaxy curls up on its side and begins to cry. This means it's taking 10% off of the HP of every combatant, and there's new dialogue to go with it.

Child of the Galaxy posted:

You’re cruel people… You’re trying to take all my friends away from me.

Please don’t take my precious friends away…

Now I get it… You have friends, too. I can take them away, like you’re doing right now…[/i]

Oh, that's no good… We'll have to finish the other one quickly!

So it'll stop burning us?

No, so it can get back to smiling with its new friends: us!

I guess that's alright, too.

We have two people with a total of three pages to knock 9 HP off of a Staggered opponent. The rest of this fight is academic. The two friends do have a third page called Waiting, a 0-cost with a single 2-4 Block die that restores 1 Light. Unfortunately, we simply beat them before either one could play it.

Let's just hope this takes care of it… that crying hurts, and I could really use a drink.

At the start of the Scene, both of the Child of the Galaxy's friends are at 1 HP.

As a result, both are defeated at once. This check takes place before the ability that removes 10% of our health, which can be a lifesaver in a closer fight.

While Child of the Galaxy can be difficult to face with more defensively-oriented decks, playing offensively makes it relatively simple to defeat. The key is just to avoid letting the fight drag on too long.

VIDEO
Music: NetzachStory

Oh yeah, I heard that. They say art is all about flashes of inspiration, right?

You know it. Maybe we’re on the same page after all.

Oh, you brought a different booze this time. Absinthe?

This is the liquor with a legacy that’s so deeply tied to art, it’s almost legendary. Since I’m in charge of arts, I could use some stimulation to work like a real artist.

Khh… This one’s pretty strong, but it’s charming nonetheless.

What if Angela scolds us like the last time, though?

Eh, we can worry about that later.

Works for me. By the way, just thought I’d mention there’s no need to worry about courtesy n’ stuff with me.

I’d say it’s more comfortable for me to go with courtesy.

Alright then.

Imitations that are provocative but nothing else… Imitations of imitations, in fact.

Though I don’t see any point in being original, either. I’m likely someone or something else’s imitation, too.

As if stuff like originality or arts even matters in the City in the first place.

All those self-proclaimed artists are nutcases. They seem to be mistaking any stimulation that’s stronger than usual for art. Just like how I’m praising this drink as a work of art.

The Pianist must’ve been one hell of a stimulant, then. I heard that its music was a hair-raising masterpiece that awoke this gray city from its ennui.

Well, the intensity was unprecedented, that’s for sure. And some are still hungover from that performance, like they were slammed with a real strong booze.

How about you?

I guess you’ve taken a liking to arts, seeing as you’re talking about all this.

True. If I could choose to live a different life, I might have been a painter or something.

Painter, huh…

I’d be able to quietly express all my emotions on the painting. Maybe I could’ve lived a humble life just like that.

And how’d a modest man like yourself end up getting involved in something as grandiose as “curing humanity”?

It really is a mystery. I’m not even sure. I think I wanted to be of help to someone.

Ooh, a someone? Perhaps your first love~?

Was it love, really? Even if it were, it wouldn’t have worked out anyway. But I was still holding onto the hope that I could make something better. That if I let go of my life, I could bring a bigger hope to some other person. That’s why I participated in the research. That’s why I stood against Angela.

Music: StoryJinji

We’re at the dawn of the fourth day. If you are to drag on any further, I’ll be left with no choice but to terminate all of you instantly.

I’m with you on this one. We’re never going to beat you at this rate. I didn’t fight to spread only a meager half of the light.

Gebura! How could you agree with her… We might lose everything.

I’m with Angela, too. Enoch’s death deserves a better meaning than this half-baked light.

I am not willing to gamble with everything we’ve worked for.

Say, Angela. If what you’re saying is true, does that mean the employees who died in this place can come back as well?

Indeed. You and your employees will wake up with brand new bodies.

That doesn’t erase all the pain we and the employees went through.

And all our hard work too…!

Even if this deal were to be put through, it will only delay the inevitable. How can we trust you not to betray us yet again?

Have we ever once gathered around a table calmly discussing what we should do with this light? We haven’t. I’ll make sure to keep this promise, though. Both you and I require the light in its whole, albeit for different reasons. I could use up this residue of light left for me right now, but I’d much prefer to have all of it. So I’d like to live more. I don’t care if you want to die or not; I want to live my own life. And I’d like to learn more about the City and about this world I live in.

Angela…

Once we’ve reclaimed all of the light… You are free to lay judgement upon me when that time comes. Though I won’t sit back, of course. That is all I have to offer. If no one else objects, I’ll proceed with it right away.

I shall become a sentinel once more and watch your every action…

It appears that we all have come to an agreement.

Don’t worry, I have no plans to let this be the end.

Music: NetzachStory

They actually want to live more than anyone, so they express that urge in one way or another. On the other hand, when someone is genuinely willing to die, they end up disappearing silently. When Angela said she wanted to live, I felt something within me. That I want to live, too.

No one really wants to die, man. They all seem to regret it moments before death. Well, it’s usually too late for ‘em by the time they realize that.

You seem well versed in that kinda stuff.

You get to see all kinds of people when you work as a Fixer.

When I saw that desperation to live… I was reminded of the many employees who died right in front of my eyes back in Lobotomy Corp. It’s ironic how we were trying to save humanity yet couldn’t save the people right next to us. That’s when I thought: if I could live more, what would I want to do?

It’s a good idea to think about your next move, yeah.

Well, I’ll have to think more on that. I still have a long way to go.

Let’s give it our best shot. Alright! Here’s to us~

I can toast to that alright. Here’s to us~

Another win, another level, and another trio of Abnormality Pages.

Pebble is a decent recovery option for a single Librarian until we start getting the ability to draw more pages. Once our hands have more than 4-5 pages in them, Pebble only selecting 3 of them can limit plays. Even then, it's possible to play 2 pages without Pebble for every one with and still break even, so it's not really terrible… but Netzach frequently has better options.

Teardrop, meanwhile, is an all-or-nothing type of page. +1 Power is exactly as good as it sounds, and slapping it onto a page with high max HP turns our librarian into a bomb. It's quite possible to use it to make everyone in an entire fight explode instantly, and since ties are a win for us that's a perfectly good option to keep in mind. It's difficult to use, but I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

A Token of Friendship is the best of the lot, though. Healing 10% for the entire party every round for 3 turns is exactly as strong as it sounds, and since I like sustain I like this page. I just about always pick it when it shows up, which is "most of the time."

You know… it'd be nice if we could actually tell which books we needed before we got them.

You've been drinking again.

It passes the time.

It's fine, isn't it? A little drink every now and then can take the edge off of things.

This is your warning. The next time, I'll remove the alcohol from you both myself.

You can do that?

I can bring you back from death. Why wouldn't I be able to?

Fine, fine… we've got it. No more drinking on call.

So off call is still fine, right..?

You may do whatever you like while you're not needed.

…It's progress, I guess.

Would… anyone like to volunteer why I've just walked out of a creepy mist into two drunks and… that rear end in a top hat?

HAHAHA! Mr.Blond! It's been far too long since you've been around! Didn't you get impaled? Oh, but you look simply amazing, considering!

Ah, and you. Why do you have giant muscles..? Netzach, what the hell's going on here?

Long story, best discussed with a drink.

Least I know you haven't changed. Just catch me up ASAP. Someone has to do the real work around here.

Real work… oh, that's right. Hey, ma'am, do you have a moment? With all this, we've probably finally upgraded to an—

Next time, on Library of Ruina: A handful of surprises.

Videos

Netzach 3

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Once we’ve reclaimed all of the light… You are free to lay judgement upon me when that time comes. Though I won’t sit back, of course. That is all I have to offer. If no one else objects, I’ll proceed with it right away.
I have a "multiple endings" vibe from that. Maybe Roland will have to choose between Angela and Sephiroth in the end?

And again, if you calculate what "100% of max" is from numbers given (50% is 60, 10% is 12), you will come to 120. It is quite likely that normal endgame key page HP will be around 120, and, judging from fact that PM felt the need to limit max values, there would be ways to buff it more.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the bear beer is doing some overtime work in Netzach's department.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Battle symbols, mostly, but we’re largely ignoring those.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

MiiNiPaa posted:

And again, if you calculate what "100% of max" is from numbers given (50% is 60, 10% is 12), you will come to 120. It is quite likely that normal endgame key page HP will be around 120, and, judging from fact that PM felt the need to limit max values, there would be ways to buff it more.

TeeQueue posted:

Battle symbols, mostly, but we’re largely ignoring those.

And even then, most battle symbols are a small% chance to improve damage in certain situations instead of a 1 or 2 point boost to HP or SR.

Battle Symbol requirements get more esoteric the longer the game goes, too. There’s a particularly bad one which is entirely up to too much luck.

The rule of thumb is: if they have a hat or glasses or something else on or instead of their face, there’s likely a battle symbol for it.

There’s an achievement for getting 100 different ones and the prevailing wisdom is “just use a guide”.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So if Angela could turn the Sephira off instantly, why didn't she do so from the start?

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014
Now all we need is a library themed vehicle to increase our Equally Matched Aggression level.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

MiiNiPaa posted:

I have a "multiple endings" vibe from that. Maybe Roland will have to choose between Angela and Sephiroth in the end?

Honestly, I think it'll be more appropriate if it's Angela choosing something at the end. She's been wanting her freedom; well, you could argue the definition of freedom is the ability to make choices, so it's only appropriate if she ends up making a big one by the end. Roland will probably influence her of course; in a lot of ways, I'm getting a "growing up" vibe from Angela as the game goes on with Roland as big brother teaching her how the world is outside her experience. Immaturity would certainly explain how mean she's been; she's a grumpy abused child dishing out cruelty because that's what she's internalized authority as being. One hopes as she learns more about cruelty (with, I guess, the city as textbook given how it seems to embody that) she starts developing empathy to make other choices. Haven't a clue what the choice(s) would be though thus far, my thematic analysis only goes so far :).

A jargogle posted:

So if Angela could turn the Sephira off instantly, why didn't she do so from the start?

One hopes it was some latent empathy to go with what I said above; they were kind of fellow "victims" in some respects which might give her some sympathy. And from the coldly pragmatic perspective, if she wants them to help her just beating them down without persuading them to surrender isn't likely to get their future assistance; look how well the equivalent worked in her case!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

A jargogle posted:

Angela probably didn't have the power of *SNAP* and the Sephirot weren't made of Light until after the war, so terminating them would likely have meant significant effort. Sort of an "I've been holding back to make things easier on both of us, but if you're going to make this difficult then fine" situation.

EDIT:

TeeQueue posted:

Didn't you get impaled?

I'm guessing this is referencing events of the battles between LC and LoR? Don't recall Mr. Blond being impaled during the LC LP.

alas, that we will never see Agents: Civil War, and can only speculate how things went down.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 19, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I gotta say, the Library designation going from "Urban Legend" to "Urban Plague" at once seems like a pretty big step up. Urban Legend feels like "yeah this might or might not exist who knows" while Urban Plague feels like "holy loving poo poo this thing is everywhere and a constant threat to everything". What I'm saying is whoever at City Hall is responsible for coming up with these categories could've maybe made things a bit more gradual.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Urban Legend feels like "yeah this might or might not exist who knows"

That's Urbam Myth. Roland mentioned how Urban Legends were "where real fun starts". Urban Legends are talked about (and apparently make for good bedtime stories), Associations are starting to actively mess with them instead of "if we ignore them, they might dissapear on their own" attitude.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

NullBlack posted:

alas, that we will never see Agents: Civil War, and can only speculate how things went down.
Being impaled implies a sufficiently strong piercing strike. With this knowledge we can narrow down the potential suspects behind Mr. Blonds murder

By day 50 the only abnos who could deal a strong enough stabbing attack are KoD and Lataetia's friend. (And Fragments but let's be honest, he couldn't even scratch anyone at that point)

In case of the agents, assuming they were wearing the full set the major piercing weapons were wielded by Chinely and Gaia (KoD set) and Twee (Paradise Lost's AOE Thorns)
However, both Discord and Mimicry have the right shape to be used for impaling, though not their primary use, opening the door to SeyzerKoze, Robin, and Fat Sam having blood on their hands.

Of course this is assuming they didn't swap out weapons at any point during the war

Winterdragon2004 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 19, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Winterdragon2004 posted:

Of course this is assuming they didn't swap out weapons at any point during the war
Binah department was Extraction, the one which actually make weapons. So she could arm her agens with anything she wanted. Also nothing prevented her department from extracting a few more Abnormalities to make things more exiting.

HeyItsKasey
Aug 24, 2020

You ever want to just be a sea slug?

Winterdragon2004 posted:

Being impaled implies a sufficiently strong piercing strike. With this knowledge we can narrow down the potential suspects behind Mr. Blonds murder

By day 50 the only abnos who could deal a strong enough stabbing attack are KoD and Lataetia's friend. (And Fragments but let's be honest, he couldn't even scratch anyone at that point)

In case of the agents, assuming they were wearing the full set the major piercing weapons were wielded by Chinely and Gaia (KoD set) and Twee (Paradise Lost's AOE Thorns)
However, both Discord and Mimicry have the right shape to be used for impaling, though not their primary use, opening the door to SeyzerKoze, Robin, and Fat Sam having blood on their hands.

Nothing there has a ranged attack that it fires from its hand that can be reasonably assumed to be a sort of stab. Additionally, whitenight has some spear-using apostles. It turns out there are plenty of ways to get stabbed to death in lobotomy corporation.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
could have also been Der Freschuitz's bullet

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Hell yeah it's Pebble time. Pebble is real strong healing even if you're only picking 1-2 pebbled cards a turn and will very rarely actually hurt you. Teardrop is the RIGHT way to do a suicide bomb abno card, take notes Scorched Girl. Token of Friendship is kind of eh in comparison I feel, but it being level II means that the heal likely won't be wasted and it has no drawbacks so it isn't bad either. Overall a good abnormality, with a strong theme, a smooth transfer of the LobCorp mechanics to the new game and three useful pages.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
my theory about why teequeue didn't put up a vote this time is that they know what the answer is going to be

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I just assumed it was because he wanted to get through the seemingly normal start-of-new-chapter cutscene (both "Mystery talking in black" and Roland/Angela talk) before we chose.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Junpei posted:

I just assumed it was because he wanted to get through the seemingly normal start-of-new-chapter cutscene (both "Mystery talking in black" and Roland/Angela talk) before we chose.

This is correct. The poll’s coming after that. :v:

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

MadDogMike posted:

Honestly, I think it'll be more appropriate if it's Angela choosing something at the end. She's been wanting her freedom; well, you could argue the definition of freedom is the ability to make choices, so it's only appropriate if she ends up making a big one by the end. Roland will probably influence her of course; in a lot of ways, I'm getting a "growing up" vibe from Angela as the game goes on with Roland as big brother teaching her how the world is outside her experience. Immaturity would certainly explain how mean she's been; she's a grumpy abused child dishing out cruelty because that's what she's internalized authority as being. One hopes as she learns more about cruelty (with, I guess, the city as textbook given how it seems to embody that) she starts developing empathy to make other choices. Haven't a clue what the choice(s) would be though thus far, my thematic analysis only goes so far :).

This is a pretty good reading on it, another big aspect is that for all that Angela hates A, she pretty consistently models herself on him and makes the same kind of decisions he does, with the same kinds of reasoning... Because she was literally programmed by him. :v: Even though she's developed into her own being, she can't escape his influence.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure I agree on the origins of Angela's thinking. I feel she's literally nature of Carmen due to brain scan, and nurture of A being an abusive dick that uses people ruthlessly.

So she's a true child of both, and therefore going to be of both. A still has his influence on Angela, for all his callous disregard of her.

Ros and Los
Sep 28, 2021

MadDogMike posted:

One hopes it was some latent empathy to go with what I said above; they were kind of fellow "victims" in some respects which might give her some sympathy. And from the coldly pragmatic perspective, if she wants them to help her just beating them down without persuading them to surrender isn't likely to get their future assistance; look how well the equivalent worked in her case!

An older brother figure, huh? I am used to people shipping or Roland as a father figure but I like this aspect better. Makes sense the brother steps up when the father fails, even if the brother only became one because Anglea cut off his limbs. You know, standard family bonding stuff.

We did not talk much about endings with being this early in the game but I think you have a better analysis than anything we came up with at the time. The only thing I will point out is that we have two MCs, Anglea and Roland, so either one or both of them could make a choice at the end. However, even though Roland has been getting more screen time, it still feels like Anglea is the focus of the story. Roland is not really learning anything, not like Anglea, so I agree with it feels like Anglea will be the leading role later. Well, with what we have now at least.

Speaking of Roland though...

I remember a few people being paranoid about him, mostly because they thought he was more knowledgeable than he should be. My counter-argument was that we really do not know what is normal for a city dweller to know and even then he could have a mundane reason to know more than is common. No, his knowledge does not interest me. What gets me is his attitude, it feels like he is far too chill. It feels like other people, even other fixers, would be far more abrasive or get themselves perma-booked in his place. I did not think he was evil, in a similar situation like Hod, or anything of the sort, but something was up with Roland. It felt like he belonged in the Library if that makes any sense?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I feel like Roland is very important to the story for being a clashing perspective. He is full-stop a denizen of the city, whereas all the Sephirot and A himself have basically removed themselves from the cycle for a long while now. So their viewpoints get altered by their isolation as time goes on.

So you have the sensible arguments with Yesod, with people talking past each other but still both having both points. You have the conversations with Angela, where Roland's counterpoint makes it clear that Angela doesn't know anything at all about the city. And the Sephirot all have their own poo poo going on to the point where none of them would really ever explain this to Angela.

At the same time, I appreciate Roland for basically having the formula of a typical isekai protagonist and kind of turning it on its head? It starts out with the typical isekai thing with him being dropped into a foreign world and being confused by the strange-ness. But he also shows more personality in snarking Angela for thinking all Fixers know each other, getting drunk with Netzach, having reasoned but still brick wall arguments with Yesod, and so on. It's obvious he has a personality and isn't strictly a camera or self-insert for the viewer.

And with said personality, his non-reaction to having all his limbs ripped off and essentially being enslaved throws up so many questions about him or the nature of the city, which adds that delicious spice of mystery to get the interest started.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Roland is also extremely important as the designated viewpoint character of people who come to Ruina without having played Lobotomy, since just like those people, he has no idea what the hell is going on with the Library and the people in it.

Not The Wendigo
Apr 12, 2009

Keldulas posted:

At the same time, I appreciate Roland for basically having the formula of a typical isekai protagonist and kind of turning it on its head? It starts out with the typical isekai thing with him being dropped into a foreign world and being confused by the strange-ness. But he also shows more personality in snarking Angela for thinking all Fixers know each other, getting drunk with Netzach, having reasoned but still brick wall arguments with Yesod, and so on. It's obvious he has a personality and isn't strictly a camera or self-insert for the viewer.

Inversekai

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Book 17: Prologue

VIDEO

Another chapter, another Yun Dong-ju poem. This time it's from one named "Hospital."

Music: StoryJinji

I know, that was the deal. What do you want this time?

I want your crew to take care of the things on this list. I think I might be able to locate it soon enough.

…These are all ridiculous requests. Well, though we have the right team for this…

Let me guess, Section 2?

Yes.

See? I’m a very considerate person, Thelma.

‘The Library’ is on the list as well, now appointed as an Urban Plague by the Hana Association…

That’s the one I’m particularly interested in, actually.

Yeah? …Huh?!!

If your estimation is correct, we’ll have to thoroughly prepare ourselves for guests from major Syndicates and even Wings from now on, right?

That was the third most surprising thing to happen to me here.

What nonsense are you going on about this time?

You just called me “Roland”.

Because that’s your name.

I mean, yeah, but… You’ve never referred to me with my name before.

Come on~ That’s a boring answer.

It’s been a long while since anyone called me by my name, still. The last time I heard that was from my family, I guess…

Didn’t you say that your grandma disappeared long ago?

Oh, I had a wife, you see.

That’s intriguing.

Hunh… You’re not intrigued by the fact that someone like me managed to get married, right? You’re intrigued by the whole concept of this inefficient practice among humans known as marriage, right?

Please tell me more about your marriage.

…Just a heads up, it’s an overall banal story with some sad moments. Don’t think you’ll really like it.

I’m always open for new stories of others.

Says the one who won’t even tell me the story of her own life.

It’s a boring and trifling story that looped over and over for ten millennia. Imagine reading the same book for one million years. You’ll surely grow to resent it.

I’d have choked myself by the tie ‘round the fifth time I’d be forced to read a boring book…

Well, anyway, I used to work my rear end off. Had nothing better to do. I wasn’t a bad fit for Fixer work, coming from a rough background and all. As I kept working like a busy bee, I got a house in a decent spot, and met a so-called “soul mate”. She was such a tough woman… When I looked at her back, I felt the comfort of finding a place to belong to, something I couldn’t feel even when I bought my house. I made so many attempts to try and catch her attention.

Oh, am I dragging on too long…?

It’s fine. Please continue.

Music: StoryChaboon

My wife was a pretty highly graded Fixer, by the way. She was dependable for a reason. Anyway, countless ups and downs later, we tied the knot. I put it simply here, but the heartache I felt in those twists and turns was real, y’know? Both of us had piled up a hefty amount of money from working like dogs, so we decided to quit being Fixers for a while and spend a peaceful time together.

This part is kinda corny, but “happy” is the only word to describe how I felt, really. I was alone my whole life, and finally had someone to rely on. All we had to worry about was what to have for lunch, where to take a stroll in the evening… what to name our child and stuff.

You can probably guess where this is going by now. The job wasn’t a huge deal, and the pay was alright, so I decided to take it. The lady who lived with me said okay, too.

I was dispatched to a district famous for pajeon, which was my wife’s favorite food. I could almost see her mouth water with the thought of eating it when she sent me off. To live up to my better half’s expectations, I purchased a stasis preservation box from U Corp. to present her with a warm pajeon that’s straight from the kitchen.

But a huge incident occurred in my home district while I was away. The house collapsed… And my wife died along with our child she was still pregnant with. I cried for a long while, cursing this world and the City. I writhed and struggled trying to earn this happiness, so why does it have to slip out of my hands so easily…

This kinda stuff can happen to anyone in the City. It’s only a matter of endurance.

And you could endure that trial?

I’m trying to settle it on my own terms.

What was the second most surprising thing for you, by the way?

Hmm? Oh, that working here suits me better than I thought, I guess? I’m saving the biggest surprise for the last. It’s no fun to spoil everything at once, is it?

Fine, then. I’ll leave you with sorting the rest of the books.

Speaking of, we should probably get to work on checking out our next guests.

Oh, is it that time already?

Were you waiting up here this entire time?

Not at all. I simply happened to be here with one of those people you don't care about.

I wanted to check through the books that hadn't been sorted yet. Not that you're going to say anything to acknowledge that, of course.

I see. Well, I am sure it will interest you to know that a new possibility seems to have revealed itself.

New possibility?

It is difficult to explain… but the Library has become able to manipulate the key pages we've acquired in a more delicate manner.

Once we hit Urban Plague, we unlock the ability to transfer passive abilities from one page to another. There are a lot of rules with this, but our overall power level increases dramatically from here forward. I'll get into the specifics in a more dedicated post, but for now know that the game has just exponentially increased our options for deckbuilding.

So we're supposed to just jam those things into each other, and they'll get more powerful?

That's correct, Roland.

Yeah… still not used to that.

…It's time to move on to our new invitations.

Right. Let's see who we might run into.

Do you think we'll have two branches again this time, ma'am?

I'm afraid not…

They appear to have increased exponentially.

Four possibilities? Didn't think we'd get that much attention so quickly.

I guess things don't always go quite how we estimate.

We'll have to see which one comes here first.

You seem excited, ma'am.

Of course. With this many paths, we're certain to get an even larger number of books than before.

Ah. Of course~

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Here there be drawtech.

The Gaze agenda.

Humans doing human things.

GUN.

Videos

Urban Plague

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 21, 2021

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Hey, we know what U-corp does! It makes futuristic reverse freezers!

As much as I want to finally see guns, anything with a proper noun in it wins.

And I found it funny that receptions at both ends are marked as harder than those in the middle, so no matter if you decide to get left-to right or right-to left, you will feel pain.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

Hey, we know what U-corp does! It makes futuristic reverse freezers!

As much as I want to finally see guns, anything with a proper noun in it wins.

And I found it funny that receptions at both ends are marked as harder than those in the middle, so no matter if you decide to get left-to right or right-to left, you will feel pain.

Bold of you to assume I put them in order. :)

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

Then I would kindly request position of the winning entry, so it would be easier to play along.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The deck building really opens up with the addition of passive attribution. We don't have much in the way of passive right now, but we'll get to it eventually.

Passive highlight:
- Brotherhood of Iron's 25% paralysis chance on hit. It's really good and I still use it even in the endgame.
- Zwei +1 HP on clash win.
- Zulu's 25% chance of 1 light regen. Light is really important after all.

TeeQueue posted:

I only know what 2 of those choices means. And I still could be wrong about those.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 20, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

Then I would kindly request position of the winning entry, so it would be easier to play along.

I will do this thing for you when I announce the winner. :)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Have we seen any mention of Shi Association before now? I can't tell if I'm remembering it from earlier in the LP or remembering it from reaching this part in my own game.

I guess now we know how Roland ended up at rock bottom from a relative height. There's a lot of stuff gone unspoken in that story, though...

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
The poll is already very lopsided :laugh:
All I can say is all of the options are great and I can't wait for the next update :allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay. Considering Zwei and Hana before, it looks like the Association "Numbers in various languages" theme is going strong-Shi is Japanese for 4.

But the thing is, most Japanese people actually use "Yon" instead because "Shi" is a homophone for the word for 'death'. It's a whole Thing there-Hospitals skip from floor 3 to 5 much like how we skip floor 13.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Also, here's 'pajeon'. It's like a meat and veggies savory pancake, made with onions.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Junpei posted:

Also, here's 'pajeon'. It's like a meat and veggies savory pancake, made with onions.

I can confirm it's really delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I feel a little bad for voting for what was IME absolutely impossible first thing and mad me just retreat and do easier receptions...but just a little.