Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, but he originated in TNG. So imagine that character, but as a sadboy 9-year old who looks like a protoceratops, in the godawful clothing federation civilians always seem to be wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like there was missed opportunities for Jake, Nog, Ziyal and Alexander to have a whole episode.

Maybe throw in like, that one teenage Jem'Hadar.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

El Fideo posted:

Yeah, but he originated in TNG. So imagine that character, but as a sadboy 9-year old who looks like a protoceratops, in the godawful clothing federation civilians always seem to be wearing.

Alexander is supposed to be this aggressive Klingon boy who's stronger than the other human children, but instead of hiding the fact that the actor had the physique of a nine year old child the show insisted on putting him in tights and poo poo so it was even more ridiculous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DS9 has him end up accepted as the crew as basically a bad luck sink. Their O'Brien.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

What happens when O'Brien joins DS9 then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Specifically, a Klingon crew starts out treating Alexander as a nuisance until they notice all the disasters happening to him and apparently they have a concept of a sort of good luck charm; the person who constantly has humiliating and silly accidents happen to them so they don't happen to anyone else.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Just seen Tasha Yar die. lol. lmao.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Because of that episode I've always been hesitant to swim in featureless black inky puddles.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It almost got good for a moment when it was just Picard yelling at a poo-covered man in a ditch but then having to endure the funeral scene sucked all the fun right back out.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

josh04 posted:

Just seen Tasha Yar die. lol. lmao.

Genuinely hysterical.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

josh04 posted:

Oh yes, he's in ds9 one time. He sucks!

Alexander, a character so awful and worthless even DS9 couldn't redeem him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

Oh yes, he's in ds9 one time. He sucks!

A couple of times! And yeah, they really can't think of anything good to do with him.

Pity, they could had some fun with misadventures with Jake and Nog. Throw in Ziyal too, and you even got the multi-species representation!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A couple of times! And yeah, they really can't think of anything good to do with him.

Pity, they could had some fun with misadventures with Jake and Nog. Throw in Ziyal too, and you even got the multi-species representation!

And Kid Weyoun

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Now there's a cool kid character

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

AARD VARKMAN posted:

oh yeah Picard in e1 was not remotely what i expected from years of second hand reading and memes. actually he was kind of lovely in a bunch of the earlier episodes

going from tos to tng is a bit of a shock because kirk was so much...warmer? i'm watching tng for the first time right now, still on season one, after being a big tos fan, and picard doesn't demonstrate the comradery that i would expect from a starship captain.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

They're going for "a father to his crew", but miss the mark hard and he seems like an awkward weirdo. Don't worry, they get to tone right S2 onwards and Picard will really shine.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also that is when in no coincidence is when Patrick Stewart really starts to relax and have fun behind the scenes too.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Also that is when in no coincidence is when Patrick Stewart really starts to relax and have fun behind the scenes too.

Yeah, it took the man some time to shift from a stage production mindset to a tv production one, and once he does it gets much better.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah, it took the man some time to shift from a stage production mindset to a tv production one, and once he does it gets much better.

Patrick Stewart was in I, Claudius and Smilies People long before Star Trek. He knew how to do TV, but something about Season 1 made him regress hard.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It was iirc a disaster behind the scenes.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
As I understand it, the uniforms kept falling off on the female actresses around Stewart. They tried to cover up, but it was too late.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lawman 0 posted:

It was iirc a disaster behind the scenes.

An absolute clusterfuck probably mostly thanks to senile Gene Roddenberry and his lawyers, and the producers probably weren't much help either.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

As I understand it, the uniforms kept falling off on the female actresses around Stewart. They tried to cover up, but it was too late.

Had he already seen everything?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

An absolute clusterfuck probably mostly thanks to senile Gene Roddenberry and his lawyers, and the producers probably weren't much help either.

Was he really senile at that moment?
I thought he was still coked up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lawman 0 posted:

Was he really senile at that moment?
I thought he was still coked up.

No, his brain was functionally gone by that point. Decades of alcohol and drug abuse dating back to the 1950s had taken their toll on his mind by the mid-'80s. There are lots of stories of him falling asleep in meetings and saying things that made no sense.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Timby posted:

No, his brain was functionally gone by that point. Decades of alcohol and drug abuse dating back to the 1950s had taken their toll on his mind by the mid-'80s. There are lots of stories of him falling asleep in meetings and saying things that made no sense.

That's insane.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Lawman 0 posted:

That's insane.

Insane like two lizards doing the nasty then pretending like it never happened after they revert to human form, or insane like going nearly fourty years without anybody mentioning the weird lil nanoprobes sticking out of your spunknik?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I finally made it to season 2! Excited for the sudden uptick in quality, despite the first episode (Troi gets space-pregnant) being pretty baffling.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I made it to season two of DS9. Some Admiral says they can't interfere on Bajor because of the prime directive? I'm no star trek knower but lol who gave that guy his job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The prime directive is broadly "non-interference in foreign affairs", rather than the specific "don't mess with pre-warp planets".