Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Remember the episode when Wesley turned into a god

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
No, but I remember the one where Riker turned into a Q.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

No, but I remember the one where Riker turned into a Q.

that's just a goofy and bad episode but it's fascinating how it's weird and stilted and bad in exactly the same ways as a TOS episode. the characters are robotically working through a morality play, the pace is extremely strange, and it even has the obligatory retrograde sexist moment when they forget everything about yar's personality. it's peak season one.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It's because the Riker Q episode is a half rear end remake of Where No Man Has Gone Before from TOS.

Nov 6, 2002

But it also gave us this moment.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

This scene is literally the only thing I remember about that episode.

Nov 6, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This scene is literally the only thing I remember about that episode.

Oh I bet it's not.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

No, that's a new one on me. They could at least have found a himbo with the same general face shape.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Maybe the Crushers are from a species where when you grow up you become a completely different guy.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why didn't the federation steal this advanced himbo technology

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jazerus posted:

Why do you think Riker ended up with a beard?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

those of us in the UK were cruelly robbed when the BBC cut that shot from broadcast.

then by the time the season 2 clip show came around they left it in that one. I like to think that the censors just noped out of that poo poo 5 mins in and never knew.

Nov 6, 2002

Jazerus posted:

Oh, but didn't they??

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I think on some level I expected Patrick Stewart to be completely hairless, like a Sphynx cat

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
major grin video comparing himbo wesley with picard season 2 wesley

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Watching the matriarchal planet one and Riker has just put on the outfit. Star Trek is good again.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

watched the binary aliens one, pretty good fun. they're always getting weirdos to 'improve' the computers at this point it seems.

then the one with admiral oldmakeup, which was a bit naff. he also got really wet towards the end.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

josh04 posted:

watched the binary aliens one, pretty good fun. they're always getting weirdos to 'improve' the computers at this point it seems.

i think geordi just has trouble installing windows 95 and he has to ask all of the aliens for help

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

speaking of mediocre computers, I'm done with the one where the legendary planet steals the kids. picard or riker should really have punched that guy.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i took a year off but I'm watching the end of season 4 finally

-geordi getting brainwashed: solid
-data tries dating: terrible

finale thoughts: lmao romulan Tasha Yar :wtc:

Nov 6, 2002

Do you think Dorn sends Denise Crosby a thank you card every year?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
If I remember right, if Crosby hadn't left the show it was good odds they would have fired Marina Sirtis.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AARD VARKMAN posted:

-data tries dating: terrible

not joking, that episode probably would have been a lot better if they did it in first or second season before the writing staff got up their own asses about algorithms and subroutines and all that bullshit

and, you know, also were way less stuffy and way more willing to try telling a loving joke

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
there is no way Riker's "...one, or both?" line from A Matter of Honor would have flown in the back half of TNG

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If I remember right, if Crosby hadn't left the show it was good odds they would have fired Marina Sirtis.

Do you think she would have felt pain?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Doing my TNG rewatch, I keep wondering how the show got a second season, but apparently it was really popular even in S1! I guess we were really starved for sci-fi at the time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I watched all of season 5 over the last couple days.

several of the best episodes (Darmok, The Inner Light)
several of the worst episodes, with Wil Wheaton mooning over Ashley Judd and like 4 separate "troubled child" episodes :wtc:

Nov 6, 2002

Anything with Ashley Judd can't be that bad.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

She is involved in the most unrealistic part of Star Trek. Wesley crusher gets kissed by a girl that cute.

I'll believe God needs a starship before that

Nov 6, 2002

CainFortea posted:

She is involved in the most unrealistic part of Star Trek. Wesley crusher gets kissed by a girl that cute.

Law 36: When all else fails, do it yourself.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lol a Precocious Children Save the Enterprise episode except this time the children are de-aged adults :ughh:

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

lol a Precocious Children Save the Enterprise episode except this time the children are de-aged adults :ughh:

Rascals is a great episode with just the right amount of self awareness of how stupid it and Star Trek in general was.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I disagree, Rascals basically has two angles - the cute/comedy "haha the adults are stuck in kid bodies, isn't this wacky" bit, and the "how do you cope with a massive life change and people no longer taking you seriously" bit - and fails to really properly execute on or commit to either. It's late TNG so we can't do real comedy because the show has become way too stuffy with its "we're making simply the most groundbreaking television :lofty:" sensibilities, and the writer hates the premise so he doesn't bother really trying to explore the premise and just has Beverly threaten to certify Picard as unfit for bullshit reasons. Like, sure, have Bev and Riker weirded out, but wouldn't it be cool to contrast that with the non-humans Data and Worf being all "the gently caress is your guys' problem, he's Captain Picard"?

Yeah, there's a couple of neat bits, everyone loves "he's my Number One dad! :haw:", but it really should have been done back in third (or even second) season before the show had completely crawled up its own rear end.

and no this isn't just because i have a grudge against Ron Moore shut up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
and like, if you don't want to engage in silly/dumb premises, why are you even watching star trek lol

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
it ended up being kinda funny and at least better than all the actual children episodes last season. child guinan actress was surprisingly good

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the child actors sell the part well enough that it's much better than another interminable episode where worf decides alexander's teddy bear is insufficiently klingon and ultimately troi teaches him a valuable lesson in cross-cultural fatherhood

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it ended up being kinda funny and at least better than all the actual children episodes last season. child guinan actress was surprisingly good

and coincidentally also played the younger version of Deloris in Sister Act around the same time

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I disagree, Rascals basically has two angles - the cute/comedy "haha the adults are stuck in kid bodies, isn't this wacky" bit, and the "how do you cope with a massive life change and people no longer taking you seriously" bit - and fails to really properly execute on or commit to either. It's late TNG so we can't do real comedy because the show has become way too stuffy with its "we're making simply the most groundbreaking television :lofty:" sensibilities, and the writer hates the premise so he doesn't bother really trying to explore the premise and just has Beverly threaten to certify Picard as unfit for bullshit reasons. Like, sure, have Bev and Riker weirded out, but wouldn't it be cool to contrast that with the non-humans Data and Worf being all "the gently caress is your guys' problem, he's Captain Picard"?

Yeah, there's a couple of neat bits, everyone loves "he's my Number One dad! :haw:", but it really should have been done back in third (or even second) season before the show had completely crawled up its own rear end.

and no this isn't just because i have a grudge against Ron Moore shut up

No Ro Laren back in season 2 or 3 though. and the parts where she talks about actually not everyone's childhood was great are the best of "how do you cope with a massive life change" stuff.
Also no Alexander, so it'd be Wesley Crusher in the role of the actual child showing them how stuff works. Painful I'd expect.

Your criticisms are all totally fair. I just think the good in the ep makes up for it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
a while back I went through just the Ro Laren episodes in order, it would be cool if they had done more with her. i mean they kind of did but put her in DS9 and renamed her Kira Nerys because the actor didn't want to do it, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

Am I the only one who never liked the Ro Laren character?