Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Are you hearing back from any of these applications? 100 seems like a lot, I would expect at least two dozen responses from that if you’re doing that regularly somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A lot of them are Hail Marys but so far I have heard back from 3 that I applied for on Thursday. I'll be speaking with two of them on Tuesday, and I spoke with one on Friday. I was supposed to speak with someone else on Friday but she had a meeting run long so we had to reschedule, and since I was busy all afternoon and evening with the storage unit I didn't have time to talk that day.

The one I spoke with on Friday would be a demotion in title but a promotion in responsibility and more than double the pay. I forget the exact range he mentioned but I think it was something like $110k-140k for the lower level SaaS product support and $140k-160k for the tier 2. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch on anything, but I'm glad it was a phone call rather than a face to face because I'm pretty sure my eyes bugged half out of my head when I heard those numbers. That's like if I can stick with the budget all my debt is gone in a year. Loosen up the belt a bit and still end up with a proper tiny home instead of a camper the next year, and then a year or two after that have my own land to put it on. Life changing.

Like I said I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch but given the amount of jobs I've been discussing making a p deece 6 figgies I'm thinking that I'm not willing to go much below 100k, if at all. It feels worth continuing to pursue the promotion my manager wants me to get at my current job (probably to 70-80k or so) and keeping my standards high in the job hunt.

This has been the complete opposite of most of my job hunts in terms of soul crushingness, there's so many jobs out there that even applying to some jobs every day I'm not able to keep up, I've got another 100 or so in my saved list. The supply and demand is finally on my side for once. I can apply to a job and have the comfortable attitude of "You need me more than I need you." In the past it has always been "I don't know if I'm going to have a job in 2 months," "I'm unemployed and running out of money," or "My current job makes me wish for death by lunch please get me out of here." I've gotten maybe 15-20 rejections out of the ~150 jobs I've applied for so far but IDGAF, there's plenty more where those came from.

A lot of jobs on Linkedin these days have the "Easy Apply" which means they take like 30 seconds to apply to, which is part of why I'm hitting so many. I'm applying to ones that I don't think I have much of a chance for just because it's so little effort for potentially high reward.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Those are some pretty impressive jobs. I work for a fairly large financial software company that offers quite a few SAAS products and the support entry level positions are no where near 100k, so good on you if you can get in! Shotgun blast a ton of applications is sometimes the way to do it!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, it seems like a lot of companies that are transitioning to remote work still have the regional pay ranges and 120k isn't even enough to qualify for a studio in the Bay. I used to work for a company supporting their enterprise legacy software and it was $55k a year in Denver. After having numbers thrown at me for normal SysAdmin jobs around 100k and up to 140k on the high end (CA/NYC wages) I'm striking while the iron is hot.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a full-blown interview tomorrow for that position I mentioned before, spoke with a recruiter about one that would be $85k today, two phone calls tomorrow for positions I haven't discussed yet. Also approximately 30 rejections by now but hey, this is more activity than I normally get anyway.

I also worked Labor Day and while I could take a day off in lieu of the holiday, I'm going to take the extra pay instead for some more money to put in the bank.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Even better, take the first offer you get and immediately continue applying for the sweet six figure salary. Do not feel shameful about doing this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

qhat posted:

Even better, take the first offer you get and immediately continue applying for the sweet six figure salary. Do not feel shameful about doing this.

It's this. He's so underpaid now it doesn't even matter.

You just don't mention that stepping stone if it happens fast.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's probably the move. I hate the idea of it but I gotta do what I gotta do. I'm also still working on getting a promotion at this job so what I'm kind of hoping for is if I don't get something within the next couple weeks I get that, update my resume with the better title and responsibilities and then leverage that.

I'm going to be taking this evening to brush up on some of the stuff in the job description for the interview tomorrow for stuff that I have done / learned about before but it has been long enough that I don't remember anything. That's the thing about my career to this point, I've touched a million technologies but some of them have been like three or four years since I've done it, so in order to be able to speak with any competence about them I need to remind myself how they work.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Everyone hates it. That being said, until you’re at an acceptable market salary band, it’s perfectly moral to do. A company not paying you the market rate is actually the immoral thing, and they will get punished for it if not by you but by others eventually. This is the advice I would give someone who was debt free, in your case it especially applies. You might even be able to negotiate a sign on that you can use to significantly reduce your debt burden.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm more understanding of lower salaries for remote jobs these days because so many companies are going remote without any idea what they are doing. I understand that a company based in Des Moines isn't going to be able to pay what a company in San Francisco can pay.

I bombed the gently caress out of that interview. I think my Linux skills still need work, people tell me that DevOps doesn't need much Linux knowledge but if you're coming from the Ops side it seems like it's required to get there.

I just got off the phone with a recruiter for another job that would be probably 90-100k, it's a weird position where I would be everything from helpdesk to equipment purchasing, basically a manager except nobody to manage, there's teams that handle more advanced infrastructure and security stuff but I'd be building my own department basically because they're just now getting big enough that they need that kind of position rather than having other teams pinch-hit. I'm going to be careful going in though because that can be a massive shitshow.

I'd also be building my own environment as far as infrastructure to support support and they're an AWS shop so that could be some good experience. I just need to ask a lot of questions to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should take a massive shitshow job at 90/100k and keep looking

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think we might have different definitions of shitshow. When I say shitshow I mean a position that's untenable which will result in me being desperate while I continue to job hunt due to the concern about losing my job and being unemployed. Desperate me makes bad decisions. If when you say shitshow you mean a job at a company that is poorly run, for me that translates to "almost every job I've ever had"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no we have the same definition

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really don't see how you think that an unstable higher paying job is better than a stable low paying job while looking for a stable high paying job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Because you get fat paychecks while you look immediately elsewhere and even better you don't have to feel bad about leaving within a month

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I mean this really is like the most basic of all jobhunting advice but first of all you have absolutely no idea when you are actually going to receive an offer. You could turn down that job and not get anything for like 6 months, poo poo happens, happened to me once in fact and I have serious six figure tech skills. On top of that you are seriously in debt so you should be taking all the fat pay checks you can get even if it's not sustainable, you have literally nothing to lose. All you have to do for the first month or so is the absolute bare minimum to not get fired immediately and hopefully that will be enough time to find something that suits you more. At the very least you'll have at least a month because companies don't want to hire and immediately fire, or more specifically, the hiring manager doesn't want to risk looking like an idiot who doesn't know what they are doing.

If you get an offer from anyone at this point, you take it, and if I see you turning down serious job offers in this thread I will conclude that you are a lost cause at that point.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You need to start digging up, not down, goon.

You are so severely underpaid that taking this job more than DOUBLES you take-home pay. And if no other position works out any time soon you've got a much better story on your resume.

This is literally life-changing money for someone in your position, i.e. someone at the very edge of being able to afford to live on their own. Every dollar past the basics you are currently making is debt retirement, security, and a start at getting out of this hole you've fug for yourself. I don't think you truly understand how much of a difference even a $10k raise could make in your life right now.

I have a feeling you're letting perfection get in the way of progress. And that you don't want to change jobs because well.....changing jobs is hard.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I really don't see how you think that an unstable higher paying job is better than a stable low paying job while looking for a stable high paying job.

its probably the fact that the high paying job pays better idk

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Let's do the numbers:

90k job at let's say average tax rate of 30%

That's 63k take home, or $5250 a month. After expenses of $1700, that's $3550 saved a month.

In other words, every week you work at that job is better than working 2 weeks at the lovely underpaid gig. If you worked there for 1 month and got fired, that's more than an entire month you have afterwards where you are still up financially than you would've been otherwise. And if you can make just the smallest modicum of effort to get your coworkers to like you then chances are you'll have a lot more rope to hold on to than you realize.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

qhat posted:

Let's do the numbers:

90k job at let's say average tax rate of 30%

That's 63k take home, or $5250 a month. After expenses of $1700, that's $3550 saved a month.

In other words, every week you work at that job is better than working 2 weeks at the lovely underpaid gig. If you worked there for 1 month and got fired, that's more than an entire month you have afterwards where you are still up financially than you would've been otherwise.

Okay now add in $1,500 of prescriptions out of pocket per month and let's say $200 average for therapy and psychiatry if I lose that job. And yes, I have heard of GoodRX. On unemployment I would make too much for medicaid, I got rejected because of that another time when I was on unemployment. Maybe it's still worth it, maybe this fear is unreasonable, but in my head no insurance for any extended period of time = dead.

I haven't said no to anything yet except a couple jobs that pay less than what I'm making now and jobs that say "You have to move across the country day 1! No relocation assistance!" Even stuff I'm iffy on, I'm hearing out, but if my gut says that I wouldn't be able to hold that job down for more than a couple months, I'm not taking it unless I am also keeping my current stable job and two-timing. I just had a phone call with a recruiter where I might do that because it's also underpaid and a contract with expensive health insurance but I might be able to get some good experience and keep both balls in the air for a while.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay now add in $1,500 of prescriptions out of pocket per month and let's say $200 average for therapy and psychiatry if I lose that job. And yes, I have heard of GoodRX. On unemployment I would make too much for medicaid, I got rejected because of that another time when I was on unemployment. Maybe it's still worth it, maybe this fear is unreasonable, but in my head no insurance for any extended period of time = dead.

COBRA?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I actually completely seriously forgot COBRA was a thing, I guess $800 per month is a lot better than $1500.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know all the facts about the job, you're describing it as like maybe possibly it might be a shitshow, but I don't know if I trust that judgement on it. The way you described it doesn't sound like a shitshow, it sounds like they need someone to do the work that nobody else wants or has time to do. It could just be something where the more important people tell you what to do and you just go away and do it, and as long as you do it within a reasonable time, you'd be fine. Furthermore, you'd be new and expected to need ramping up, so you'll have wiggle room for probably the first six months as long as you doing work and not actively pissing off everyone around you. These are things you talk about in the interview with the team members, not the recruiter who knows close to nothing about how the team actually works.

At any rate, any time you switch jobs you're taking a huge risk, but mostly it's just a risk of the unknown, a risk which is hedged by a plan to continue jobhunting while on the job. Conversely, you don't seem to be considering the risks of staying in your current role given the extended (double) time where you remain under debt. The longer you remain in debt, the higher the chance something will happen that will derail your plans and leave you insolvent, and hence the larger the risk. So resign yourself to taking a large risk in all events.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm definitely going to ask all kinds of questions to the team/CTO, I didn't realize that wasn't clear. The recruiter made it sound like the CTO didn't have answers to some of the questions he was asking, so I guess my biggest fear is that the boss wouldn't actually know what he wants, and would just know that he's not happy with what he's getting. Like he doesn't realize how much work is involved with unfucking their poo poo and that it's a three person job, not a one person job. That seems to be a common theme with small shop administrators.

Since the original post (which I was in the middle of making when I got called by the recruiter and added that section afterward) I've looked into the company more and they're a technology company where a lot of the staff have experience from my side of the desk so I'm naively hoping that they won't be the kind of staff that unplug a desktop, move it across the room, don't plug it in, and then file a ticket when it won't turn back on. Or whatever the remote version of that is. The company is also significantly smaller than I was under the impression it was from the recruiter after looking into the company so that feels much more feasible too. I was under the impression it was several hundred people, seems like it's south of one hundred.

My hope is that it ends up being a role where I can start by tidying up what I expect to be somewhat sloppy organizational stuff since there was nobody whose dedicated job it was, then work part time on support and part time on automating my job away as much as possible. My main concern with actually getting the job is they apparently want some Mac experience and I might be bad with money but I'm not that bad with money :v:. I've used Linux on the desktop in the past so maybe I can use that to convince them that I can figure out how to use a Mac.

I've been submitted at $100k and they supposedly have a 10-15% annual bonus but it's funny how fast those go away when the CEO's bonus is threatened so I always count bonuses as an unexpected surprise. $100k feels like a salary that I'd be happy with at this point. Sure, I've applied to some higher stuff, sure I've spoken with someone about higher stuff, but at my skill set going over $100k feels like a solely NYC/CA/maybe Seattle/Portland thing, $100k is definitely good for Denver or Boulder, and where I am is significantly cheaper than either of those. I'm not going to say no to more money, but $100k feels like a point where I'd be comfortable passively applying when approached while I build up my skills with work projects. Especially given that if this particular job works out well, I'll be able to greenlight my own projects as long as I'm within budget and getting the rest of my work done.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 9, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there's just something really off about your posts and expectations that i can't really put my finger on. yes it would be nice to have an ideal environment &c &c but like jesus gently caress buddy you need to make more money. that should be your number one consideration for the job: does it pay more money and have decent equivalent benefits? if someone is going to pay you loving 100k plus good health care to dig ditches or loving count trees you should take that job

edit: to put it in your terms if someone is going to pay you $100k to only resolve useless moron tickets where people have forgotten to plug in their machine you need to be taking that job

edit2: as you keep adding, this is all just fantasizing at this point! you're waxing poetic about how you want to manage all this stuff and professional growth and development and that is great but you need to make. more. money. now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A boss who doesn't know what they want is actually the best case scenario, they are very easy to convince to move in a certain direction. You're the expert, they want you to tell them what they want and how things actually go. Again this is one of those things where you can show off your expertise in an interview and get them excited that even if they have to throw a bit of money at the problem, they no longer have to think about the problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: to put it in your terms if someone is going to pay you $100k to only resolve useless moron tickets where people have forgotten to plug in their machine you need to be taking that job

Also this because that job he described sounds nothing more than mildly annoying but easily doable.

qhat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 9, 2021

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've been submitted at $100k and they supposedly have a 10-15% annual bonus but it's funny how fast those go away when the CEO's bonus is threatened so I always count bonuses as an unexpected surprise.

This is purely speculation. But yes you shouldn't count it as guaranteed comp because obviously it's not.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I might be overly cynical here, I've just had jobs where they went "golly gee we made a lot of profit but not as much profit as we expected so no bonuses sorry" after bringing up the bonus in salary negotiations.

Basically listening to the description of the role it sounded like the kind of thing that could be one full-time job or it could be two full time jobs that they're hiring one person on salary for, all depending on the scale. Usually when I hear the term "many hats" I mentally translate it to "understaffed and overworked" but looking at this company it seems like it might genuinely be each hat requiring little enough work that one person can reasonably do all of it.

I just updated my Financier spreadsheet with actuals for the month so far. Storage unit is over budget because that's where I put the cost of the rental truck and dump fees that her mother said they would pay since she did flake after all because they decided to go on vacation for the long weekend instead. Amazon Prime is apparently $13.97, not $12.99 like I thought it was. Taxes maybe? Restaurants I spent more than I would like so far, I applied for jobs straight through when I was supposed to go grocery shopping and into the night last Thursday and ended up having to order a pizza because I was too light-headed to even go grocery shopping from low blood sugar. Then I ended up getting fast food on the way back up from clearing out the storage unit because it was 8PM and I had last eaten a couple slices of leftover pizza at 10AM. I feel like it's a decent start but we'll see how it goes down the line. I've got a mechanic appointment on the 28th to get the engine on my Impreza inspected, so that's the maintenance budget spent or at least close to spent.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It could mean they are stretching people thin - or it could just mean they're a smaller company who don't have enough specialist work to assign to specialists so you're just kinda expected to figure it out, which is normal.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
Could you not just buy a few breakfast bars or whatever and keep them close by?

Is that the third time you’ve “had” to order takeout because you were too hungry/lightheaded to cook or shop?

I mean your spending issues are secondary to your actual pay issues currently, but it is the 10th of September & you’ve already spent more money than you would like on takeout/convenience food? You still have 2/3rds of the month ahead of you.

Next time you go food shopping buy some food that is easy to store and easy to eat, keep some in your home and some in your car- cereal bars or whatever, porridge that you just add water to, some noodles? - if you really are dizzy with hunger, the 3 minutes it takes to make some cup noodles and eat them would surely fix that problem more than ordering a pizza and sitting on your arse starving for 30 minutes while it’s delivered?

A few days ago you were wrestling with whether you should spend $3 on a notebook & now you’re justifying multiple takeaways when you have done nothing to realistically improve your situation.

I realise the actual dollar amounts you have spent according to that graph are quite low, but the way you’re framing the spending as if there were no other options just sits poorly with me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you need to plan your eating better and if you know you're bad at it having some cliff bars or whatever around is a decent enough idea. you can always wait to apply for jobs, you NEED to prioritize grocery shopping and poo poo like that.

last thing i will say on the job is that if someone offers you a 100k job where you have to do twice as much work and they're paying one person to do two people's work: you should take that job.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

OK So you've gone over budget on two items. Where is that money coming from to cover the overspend? The app you are using is an envelope budgeting method, so what you're meant to do is reduce other categories' budget and move that money to the overspent categories to zero them out.

In addition, you show $1,800 in unallocated money and I think your $3,400 is an estimate not a real paycheck. When will you know your real September income?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you need to plan your eating better and if you know you're bad at it having some cliff bars or whatever around is a decent enough idea. you can always wait to apply for jobs, you NEED to prioritize grocery shopping and poo poo like that.

Yep, this is it. I had been putting off doing more grocery shopping until the new month, then on Wednesday I didn't go shopping before work, then Thursday I was supposed to go shopping around noon but instead at 10:00 I started applying for jobs and didn't stop until 7:30PM. Failure to prioritize 100%. One of the life skills I need to work on is not just being productive, but being productive about the right things at the right time.

doingitwrong posted:

OK So you've gone over budget on two items. Where is that money coming from to cover the overspend? The app you are using is an envelope budgeting method, so what you're meant to do is reduce other categories' budget and move that money to the overspent categories to zero them out.

In addition, you show $1,800 in unallocated money and I think your $3,400 is an estimate not a real paycheck. When will you know your real September income?

I'm going to be getting reimbursed by my ex's mother for the overage on the storage unit costs, she volunteered to cover the costs involved with getting a truck and getting stuff dumped since she wasn't bringing her truck after all and I was doing everything. That 97 cents I guess I'll pull out of spending money.

I get paid on the 15th and last day of every month currently, so that $1832.99 is what I had at the end of August including my last paycheck for the month. The $3400 is two $1,700 paychecks. I won't know the actual amount of a given check until at earliest a couple days before it hits my bank account, usually I just check the day of to see how much my paycheck actually was.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

i don't want to be a dick but echoing something someone said upthread: something just feels off on your replies. like, you're applying to jobs so hard you literally become weak with hunger, and your only option is to order a pizza? come on dude. it feels like what a teen would do - "oh yeah, you told me to apply to jobs? well i'm going to apply to jobs so hard i pass out!" its... very... intense? strange?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I genuinely don't know what happened there. It reminds me of one of the questions on the bipolar assessment I do every time I go to the psychiatrist, "Did you ever find you had much more energy that usual or felt like you were driven by a motor." I didn't even want to keep applying after a few hours, I just couldn't tear myself away. It was a very bizarre experience unlike anything I've had happen before. I'm in a much healthier state of mind than I have been in maybe 4 years, maybe even 6 or 7, which is why I'm so hesitant about anything that has the potential of being bad for my mental health, but my brain is still weird and does weird things I don't understand. Sometimes it feels like I'm just along for the ride, which isn't good. I definitely see that day as an example of something I need to work on routines to avoid having happen in the future. I was also supposed to clean the camper that day and put up skirting and I didn't do that either.

I'm definitely going through a third-life crisis, which I think is part of what got me back to feeling like I needed to take responsibility for my finances. Around the beginning of August I had the realization that time just keeps passing faster and faster and I'm not in my 20s anymore and I'm nowhere near where I thought I would be 10 years ago and I had an evening of sheer existential terror that led me to uninstall the games I was obsessed with, start studying for a better job, start applying for better jobs, and then later to fix my finances.

To be clear, I'm not saying any of this is healthy, it's definitely not. I see a therapist regularly, I see a psychiatrist regularly, I have been trying to start doing mindfulness meditation to get my anxiety under control better, start exercising more often, and cut back on caffeine since it can make anxiety worse. I'm trying to improve pretty much every facet of my life at once so if it seems like I'm acting weird it's because I've got so many things going on at once that I'm having a hard time keeping track of everything.

E: Sorry that was really rambly. I had an interview earlier and about 4 or 5 phone calls and another 3 or 4 emails about jobs. At this point I'm not even sure what all prospects I have without going through my emails to keep things straight. Which I guess is good having so many prospects that I have to refer to notes to know what they all are, but it's genuinely very disorienting.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Upgrade posted:

i don't want to be a dick but echoing something someone said upthread: something just feels off on your replies. like, you're applying to jobs so hard you literally become weak with hunger, and your only option is to order a pizza? come on dude. it feels like what a teen would do - "oh yeah, you told me to apply to jobs? well i'm going to apply to jobs so hard i pass out!" its... very... intense? strange?
It's simpler and far more common than that. OP starts from "I want a pizza" and works backwards to rationalize why they should have a pizza.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

For the record it's okay to screw up a bit and stumble from time to time, it happens. What matters is that you're not accepting of it and you consciously make efforts to get back on track and not make the same mistakes again in future. As long as next time you are able to recognize you're about to make a mistake and you actively decide not to make it before you do, you are making progress. It's only a problem if you come back every week or so and say things like "Okay I screwed up again and paid 30 bucks for a pizza delivery" or whatever, I guarantee you that will get old really quickly around here and you'll catch a lot of poo poo from other posters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, that's why I've been kind of surprised by the response. I thought from the way I framed it I was clear that I knew it was a screw-up that I need to work on skills to prevent. For example right now I'm loving starving but I'm about to make a burrito with some leftover spanish rice and beans that I have in the fridge along with some sour cream and cheese and salsa. I've got enough food for probably another 5-6 days but I'm going to go to the grocery store again tomorrow to stock back up on the staples I'm running out of. I'm 1/3 of the way through the month and less than 1/3 through my grocery budget, and that first trip was more food than I generally get at once since I was completely out of just about everything. I also should stop getting some of the more expensive snacks that I like, it can't be expensive to make salsa con queso myself and just stick it in tupperware.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Restaurants I spent more than I would like so far, I applied for jobs straight through when I was supposed to go grocery shopping and into the night last Thursday and ended up having to order a pizza because I was too light-headed to even go grocery shopping from low blood sugar. Then I ended up getting fast food on the way back up from clearing out the storage unit because it was 8PM and I had last eaten a couple slices of leftover pizza at 10AM.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's why I've been kind of surprised by the response. I thought from the way I framed it I was clear that I knew it was a screw-up that I need to work on skills to prevent.

I hope this helps- but if you read the words you wrote here about ordering the food, it really didn’t communicate that you knew you had “screwed up”, more that there were situations that forced you to do so -“had to” order, as if there were literally no other options.

Tone can be hard to parse through text so that may genuinely not have been your intent, but I think that I, and others here got the impression that you were just finding justification for something that you wanted to do after you had already done it.

Are you planning on making a meal plan/shopping list before you go out? That should help you make sure you have a mix of high-effort ingredients for delicious meals & low effort ingredient for when you are too tired to consider cooking.
Individual servings of things (preprepared portioned pots of porridge for example) are more expensive than just buying a big bag of oats, but if you are more likely to prepare & eat the individual serving when you’re weak with hunger, rather than looking at a sack of oats and going “hmm best order some takeaway, this is too much” it may be worth spending that little bit extra to avoid your restaurant bill creeping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh yeah, reading it back it doesn't sound like that at all does it?

I've mostly just been trying to keep staples in the house that I can do multiple things with or eat by themselves. I've been eating a lot of Gringo Mexican food just because stuff like a bean and rice burrito or a quesadilla is simple and fairly cheap. I don't plan out meals so much as make sure I have the ingredients for several different options. I've got a few ideas for adding more variety, I'll probably do that today.

I guess I could get some store-brand protein bars for low blood sugar situations, maybe stash some in the car too for if I'm on the road and need something. That sounds like a good idea. Assuming bears breaking into cars isn't an issue, I'm not sure if that's a thing up here. I'd think they would go for a trash can first?