Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh yeah, reading it back it doesn't sound like that at all does it?

I've mostly just been trying to keep staples in the house that I can do multiple things with or eat by themselves. I've been eating a lot of Gringo Mexican food just because stuff like a bean and rice burrito or a quesadilla is simple and fairly cheap. I don't plan out meals so much as make sure I have the ingredients for several different options. I've got a few ideas for adding more variety, I'll probably do that today.

I guess I could get some store-brand protein bars for low blood sugar situations, maybe stash some in the car too for if I'm on the road and need something. That sounds like a good idea. Assuming bears breaking into cars isn't an issue, I'm not sure if that's a thing up here. I'd think they would go for a trash can first?

If you’re genuinely worried about bears you could just keep a box of breakfast bars by your front door and force yourself into the habit of taking one with you every time you leave the house.

I do doubt that a bear could smell a wrapped protein bar inside a glove box inside a car, but I do not live where bears are so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I lived in some of the thickest grizzly country for years.

Your fine leaving a protein bar in a car.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, cool. I figured, but I always heard growing up to never leave food in your car when you went hiking/camping because bears. And like I said, my trash can is right next to my car, it would probably be much less effort for a bear to rip a hole in the plastic bin, or find someone who hasn't secured their lid and just tip the can over.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A couple of positives I have noticed since starting this: I'm drinking way less. At this point if I get beer I get a single one at a time, so I don't have it in the house as an option and have to specifically choose to go out of my way to go to the liquor store. I've had two beers this month rather than probably 10-12 by this point last month. That's good in the senses of not fostering bad habits, not spending as much money, and not consuming as many empty calories. I'm also not buying as much processed junk food at the grocery store since that stuff tends to be expensive, I'm getting more apples and carrots and stuff for snacks, which are both healthier and cheaper by weight.

I also found my moleskine last night so I don't have any reason to buy another notebook, and it's a nicer notebook than anything I would buy at this point anyway.

I've got an interview tomorrow for an $85k/yr position and expect to have feedback and possibly interview scheduling for two or three more positions tomorrow as well. At this point I'm spending 20-30 hours a week applying for jobs and talking to recruiters, which doesn't meant a thing financially until I get a new job but I hope it at least demonstrates to the thread that I'm taking it seriously. I wouldn't be spending 20-30 hours a week on it and filling up significant chunks of my time off work with phone calls if I wasn't serious. Feel free to continue criticizing my spending, though. Unless I somehow inherit the fortune of one of the Koch brothers there's no amount of income that can outweigh unchecked spending.

Bad news: I'm going to be going over budget on pet costs. I noticed a growth on my dog's backside that she keeps licking at, which means a vet visit. I'd rather wait until next month, but tumors don't wait and I'd be a pretty massive piece of poo poo to prioritize $60 or so in the emergency fund over her health. Hopefully we can just get it lopped off and that's that. She's old enough that even if it got to that point and I had the money I don't know that I would do chemo even if it was needed. At 12-13 years she seems like she has a few more years in her in terms of energy and mental acuity but I'm not putting her through that kind of suffering even without considering the fact that it would cost thousands. In good pet news the cat's medication is working well and her heart murmur is almost gone and her heartrate is much healthier, and she still has the energy to have the zoomies all over the place.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

doingitwrong posted:

OK So you've gone over budget on two items. Where is that money coming from to cover the overspend? The app you are using is an envelope budgeting method, so what you're meant to do is reduce other categories' budget and move that money to the overspent categories to zero them out.

So this now apples again. You need to get into the habit of having an answer for this by the time you decide on a budget category overrun.

Where are you going to cut spending to cover for these additional budget overruns? You need to decide now, so that you can adjust your spending before month’s end to stay under.

It sucks that you haven’t been able to pool up some of the money from the vet category into an emergency fund, as that’s what would be for covering this sort of expense. However, you still need to find the money.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think probably the "spending money" category assuming it can cover that. So far my only expense in that category was covering an unexpected AWS bill from some servers and a database that I thought I had cleaned up but apparently hadn't. It was only like $15, but still annoying so I made sure to clean it up. At this point I'm not buying any gun stuff, I don't need any computer parts (knock on wood), I guess I might need more PETG filament but maybe I can hold off until next month for that? I went through it much faster than expected making stuff to winterize my camper for outdoor use, PETG is a type of plastic particularly suited to outdoor use due to moisture and UV resistance. Another 1kg roll would be $15-ish, but I don't think I will have anything else that needs to be outside this month.

It is kind of a problem though, since I don't really have much wiggle room in the budget anywhere. I cut it as tight as I felt I reliably could. I might have a bit to spare from the electric bill since it hasn't gotten cold enough to where I'm running space heaters a ton. I think I'll have $50-75 to spare in the car maintenance budget since I expect the inspection I'm having done on my Impreza to be $125-150. Then I just wait until next month to buy the belt and water pump assuming that is the route I'm going.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Spending money is the right area to draw it down from. Deferring the PETG non-essential expense to next month would be a prime example of how to absorb it. You don't need to print anything right now; nothing will fall apart in 2 weeks before next month.

In some ways, this is a bit of a rough hand, as your vet expense category should cover all of your standard monthly expenses plus a portion that you accumulate over time to then spend on bigger expenses. Had this happened in 6 months, you'd hopefully have had a bit built up and we'd not have this issue because you'd have earmarked money for it. However, adapting your budget to it and absorbing it from other categories is a really good early test that you'll manage unforseen expenses, so I think you should do that rather than just pull negative in a category.

I would not pull from the electricity bill this month. Instead I would see where that ends up and, if you have additional in that category at month's end, you could roll it over to next month's spending category it to give yourself to cover your PETG next month. Having said that, you need to be considering that your winter bills will increase and have enough money on hand to cover them when they come.

The lack of wiggle room speaks to other posters' points regarding your meagre income. Either you cut spending (at this point, not by trimming fat but by excising entire categories) or you increase income.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think probably the "spending money" category assuming it can cover that. So far my only expense in that category was covering an unexpected AWS bill from some servers and a database that I thought I had cleaned up but apparently hadn't. It was only like $15, but still annoying so I made sure to clean it up.

You want to work in AWS right? Learning how to setup billing alarms is a good habit to get into.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It is kind of a problem though, since I don't really have much wiggle room in the budget anywhere. I cut it as tight as I felt I reliably could. I might have a bit to spare from the electric bill since it hasn't gotten cold enough to where I'm running space heaters a ton. I think I'll have $50-75 to spare in the car maintenance budget since I expect the inspection I'm having done on my Impreza to be $125-150. Then I just wait until next month to buy the belt and water pump assuming that is the route I'm going.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Because your budget is a mix of money you actually have and money you plan to have, it is hard for you to get a clear picture of where you have room to adjust to these challenges. Right now, on paper, you have $1832.99 unallocated money which could cover things. But you also have ~$???? allocated that doesn't actually exist in your bank account (as you wait for the paycheques) and you are floating $??? because you expect your ex-MIL to cover it. So I have no idea how much money you have available to move around. It seems like neither do you.

It's the middle of September. Has the 1st pay come in? How much was it? Was it higher or lower than the $1700 you guessed it would be?

How does your budget look if you took the $1832.99 in the bank + the $???? of your first pay period and allocated that and not the future money. Then when the next pay comes in, allocate that. In other words, only budget with the money you actually have.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You want to work in AWS right? Learning how to setup billing alarms is a good habit to get into.

Yeah, I had just thought I shut down everything I had so I didn't bother setting an alarm. Laziness costs money again.

I haven't gotten my first September paycheck yet, I get it tomorrow, we'll see how it looks then. My primary goal is definitely get to the point where I'm living off of last month's paychecks, that makes everything so much simpler from my experience.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I haven't gotten my first September paycheck yet, I get it tomorrow, we'll see how it looks then. My primary goal is definitely get to the point where I'm living off of last month's paychecks, that makes everything so much simpler from my experience.

Once you have even a months worth of income saved up it makes life a whole lot easier. Much easier to roll with the punches as things come up.

You may have answered this and I missed it. But are you cooking all or most of your meals at home now? Im not talking buying premade stuff and a ton of snacks at the grocery store (which is still better than eating out all the time) but like making meals? Writing a meal plan for the week and shopping off of that?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm not making a plan but generally my food for a day tends to be like some fruit and veggies, a pb&j, and a quesadilla/burrito/Spanish rice. Maybe a can of tuna. I did get some frozen ravioli today but they were like $3-4 for probably two meals worth. I just wanted something to mix it up a little.

I just had an interview, I think it went pretty well. It's only $85k and the culture doesn't sound like one I'll want to stick around on but I'll take it while I look for something better.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"It's only nearly double what I make now" I say as I'm agonizing over $4 worth of frozen ravioli only providing two meals.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh yeah, I'm taking it if I get it, I'm just saying I'm going to keep looking because this doesn't seem like something that matches my end goal.

E: Also for some reason I have always tried to be super cheap when buying groceries despite the fact that I would be, at the same time, spending the better part of a thousand per month on delivery. It's something I've been struggling with straightening out mentally.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 14, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh yeah, I'm taking it if I get it, I'm just saying I'm going to keep looking because this doesn't seem like something that matches my end goal.

I simply don't understand your decision making process or the things you are lamenting about here.

How is the "culture" of working for an MSP that is paying you slave wages better than whatever you think you know about this new place after one phone call?

How do you think you get to an end goal? Do you think it has to be a single step and you're done forever?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well for one thing the MSP I'm working at doesn't have me doing a bunch of OT or being on call because I'm hourly. The raise is worth it, but I have no interest in working long term for a company that expects me to work 50-60 hours a week because they don't have to pay OT either. Related to OT I'll be doing about 6 hours of it near the end of the month so that's another day's pay after time and a half, that should help me keep building up my emergency fund. Everyone knows I'm the go-to for covering shifts assuming they aren't starting early since my schedule revolves around my evening shift. To be clear, I'm not saying I have any reason to believe this company will overwork me to that extent, just that it's not uncommon in the industry so I'm on guard for that in general.

The guy I was interviewing with talked about it being a "family" and how he didn't mind being called at 10PM because someone's PowerPoint stopped working because he loves what he does, and both of those set off major red flags. Calling a company a family is frequently an attempt to gaslight someone into accepting poor treatment with a false promise of mutual commitment that goes out the window as soon as the company would make more money without you. So yes, if I get the offer (and I think it went well) I'll take it and work it until I can find something better. I was just possibly over-optimistic about how smoothly this process would go getting into a cloud engineer or DevOps role because of how many jobs there are out there. I applied to another 40 yesterday and I've still got about 100 saved, let's say 80 assuming a decent chunk have stopped accepting applications in the week since I saved some of them.

The pay is also about as bad in terms of local range there as I'm currently getting, so that influences how much I expect them to actually value what I do. But yes, I'll take it, it will be an extra $700 a week or so pre-tax and that's nothing to turn my nose up at.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well for one thing the MSP I'm working at doesn't have me doing a bunch of OT or being on call because I'm hourly.

How has that worked out for you? Oh wait.....that's what we've been discussing.

Guess what? You're in a bad spot and sometimes you need to eat a poo poo sandwich along the way to get out of it.

Always be job hunting. Right now, you need to always be job hopping because what you have now is. not. meeting. your. basic. needs.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Every company is different. What is on-call at one company is not nearly as harsh as on-call in another. Eitherway, I would take a lovely on-call job if I knew I was in as much debt as you currently are. It will suck for a while but nothing is forever and if you're smart you'll continue jobhunting once you start the job.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Trust me when I say that there may be people reading this thread who have either in the past or currently in a similar situation to you and getting frustrated, perhaps even insulted, reading the reasons you're considering turning down jobs that offer more than double your current wage. I guarantee you to them you've got a lottery ticket and you're refusing to cash it, all the while asking for advice on how to get out of your debt problems. It really comes back to my original point that you seem to have no conception at all of exactly how much danger you are in right now. If you were living off liquid life savings then yeah you can turn down those jobs, but that is not the case; infact you are sitting on a ticking clock that explodes at an indeterminate time in the future and puts you on the street when it does. You need to understand this ASAP and do whatever it takes to reduce the time you're at risk from that, including taking that lovely job and working your rear end off at it.

qhat fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 15, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

qhat posted:

and puts you on the street when it does.

No problem. His house has wheels.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I do have somewhere I can live rent free if worst comes to worst (my dad has 6 acres near where I grew up and just moved across the state, my mom and brother are living there right now) until I get onto my feet, which combined with there being almost no chance of me losing my job might be why I'm not displaying the urgency that people feel I should be. Also the fact that my expenses are low enough that I seem like I'll be able to put $1,200 towards improving my situation per month feels very good, I think the last time I had this much money not needed to live I was making $15 an hour with constant overtime and $500 total in rent and bills.

Anyway, I just was looking through some old emails and found one that I missed. 4 people on my team have gotten promoted in the last month, basically everyone who has been here longer than I have. And I'm still here twiddling my thumbs waiting for the department change to happen, at least as far as my potential future at this company goes. I'm going to speak with the lead of the team I wanted to transfer to tonight and float some ideas that would get me over there faster and if none of those land I'm going to reach out to a couple former coworkers at this job that moved over to a different company. It looks like it would probably be more like $70k per year so I'd still be looking after going there but seeing other people progressing while the promotion I've been told is coming for the last nine months doesn't happen is really pissing me off.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Also for some reason I have always tried to be super cheap when buying groceries despite the fact that I would be, at the same time, spending the better part of a thousand per month on delivery. It's something I've been struggling with straightening out mentally.

Over and over I see you converting numbers into narratives and it makes it really hard for you to pin down and deal with some stark realities. Your ex-MIL is going to reimburse you (when?) so you don’t need to worry about the overspend on the storage unit (what if it comes due before she sends you the money?). You view your groceries as a different expense from ordering in, so when you skimp so much on adequate groceries that you get desperately hungry, you can justify ordering while telling yourself you are being tight in the budget.

You seem hesitant to take a massive increase in pay because you worry about the experience while ignoring the very real miserable experience of being so close to the line that you are selling random possessions to make ends meet.

Tomorrow, you get paid.

Make a new budget for September that includes your end of August balance and Sept 15 pay actual amounts, your actual expenses and projected expenses. Do not include theoretical income money until you get it. When you get paid at the end of Sept that can begin to cover your Oct budget.

A budget is an expression of your obligations and priorities. Awhile ago, I suggested grouping the items so you could easily see what was an obligation, what was a priority and what was a nice to have. It makes it easier to see where you can trim when something like a pet being ill comes up.

If you can increase your income while also taking control of your spending, you’ll be in SUCH a better spot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I do have somewhere I can live rent free if worst comes to worst (my dad has 6 acres near where I grew up and just moved across the state, my mom and brother are living there right now)

Why aren't you jumping on this? You're living in a mobile unit and working remotely, what would be the downside to doing that on his property?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I hang out enough in SH/SC to know that you've had promotions dangled in front of you for seemingly years now.

Your assessment of that job that talked about being a "family" is similar to mine. Sounds like a complete poo poo show and I dont necessarily disagree with not going for it. However as someone that was in a similar position in the past, I would say go for it.

The key is to not think of it as a job, think of it as paid training and job searching. It sounds like it will definitely suck, but you might also get the kitchen sink thrown at you and learn a ton of different tech and pick up some great skills, all while you look for something better.

You know your mental health better than all of us, so if you dont think you can handle the occasional 60 hour weeks, or late nights dont go for it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I do have somewhere I can live rent free if worst comes to worst (my dad has 6 acres near where I grew up and just moved across the state, my mom and brother are living there right now) until I get onto my feet,
Or you might wind up stuck there like your mom and brother.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Coming at this from an IT perspective - I feel like you're weighing your stressors wrong.
I've been about where you are.
Working 50 hours instead of 40 with no OT and feeling used and abused by your company is stressful, but it's way less stressful than trying to decide if you can afford a bag of oranges or trying to budget vet care.
It's WAY less stressful than trying to figure out how to keep above water on a storage unit that contains important sentimental possessions.
If you get offered a job doing absolutely anything that pays double what you make, you take it, immediately, no questions asked (outside of travel hardships or impossibilities, like relocating with no budget).
Then you work that lovely job for a few months and play it into a better role for more money.
The things we learned as teens/early 20s still hold true - it's easier to find a job when you have a job, and it's easiest to step up one step at a time.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
You were meant to get your first Sept pay about a week ago. How's budgeting going?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The paycheck was $1800 rather than the expected $1700, so that's good. I need to catch up on transactions, but so far no other restaurant expenses, I haven't spent any money on the SVX, haven't bought any sort of luxury items, haven't even had to buy more gas yet, although that will change shortly because after taking my dog to the vet my gas light is on. Good news there, it's a sebacious cyst rather than a tumor, so there's no danger. They're going to quote me on how much to get it removed but I'm not sure if/when I will. I am a little bit worried that I might end up going over on household goods. Some locals were at my place and pointed out some issues with my winterizing so I'm going to have to buy some more materials to get it in better shape for when the first snowstorm hits. I'll catch up on transactions today and post an updated list. I'm hoping that between the higher than expected income and shuffling categories around I can still stick to the "$1,200 in emergency fund this month" goal but it's too soon to say for sure.

Medullah posted:

Why aren't you jumping on this? You're living in a mobile unit and working remotely, what would be the downside to doing that on his property?

Many answers, but the most important one is that there's no reliable internet service where he is, so I wouldn't be able to do my job. It's way out in the country so the only service is that HughesNet type of line of sight fixed wireless internet that goes out if it gets too windy. I'm not even sure if they have 4g coverage there to use a hotspot connection, I know a few years ago they didn't. If I lost my job, it would be somewhere I could get back on my feet, but that's it.

Job-related I'm still at it, still spending 20-30 hours a week on job hunting. Just got contacted for a second interview at a place where I would be making at least $100k, haven't heard back from the other two places I interviewed with last week, but also in the middle of scheduling another first interview. The only stuff I have said no to was places that expected day one on-site, a couple that paid less than what I currently make that I couldn't double-dip on, and one where the recruiter cold called me and said stuff like "Okay I need you to include some lines about x on your resume" where x was something I told him I had no experience with in the previous sentence and "get your employer to sponsor you for a clearance by Monday so I can submit you to this position since it needs a clearance." (on Thursday).

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2021

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Many answers, but the most important one is that there's no reliable internet service where he is, so I wouldn't be able to do my job. It's way out in the country so the only service is that HughesNet type of line of sight fixed wireless internet that goes out if it gets too windy. I'm not even sure if they have 4g coverage there to use a hotspot connection, I know a few years ago they didn't. If I lost my job, it would be somewhere I could get back on my feet, but that's it.

Ah yeah, that's a no go then. :(

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

haven't even had to buy more gas yet, although that will change shortly because after taking my dog to the vet my gas light is on.

Frugality is nice and all, and I don't know how easy it is to get gas in your area if you run out, buuuuuutttt... for as remote a place as you're in, I would not be trying to stretch out your gas too far. I'm not saying spend more than you budgeted, but definitely fill up at least some before you start getting into the danger zone. Getting stranded somewhere because of the very preventable condition of running out of gas is a ticket to having to spend a lot of unexpected money or time on getting back to working again. That could be eating something outside because you've been caught away from home too long, needing someone else to check up on your pet, getting extra-expensive gas just because it's the closest, paying someone for a lift or a gas can, getting a hotel to avoid exposure issues, etc.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SpelledBackwards posted:

Frugality is nice and all, and I don't know how easy it is to get gas in your area if you run out, buuuuuutttt... for as remote a place as you're in, I would not be trying to stretch out your gas too far. I'm not saying spend more than you budgeted, but definitely fill up at least some before you start getting into the danger zone. Getting stranded somewhere because of the very preventable condition of running out of gas is a ticket to having to spend a lot of unexpected money or time on getting back to working again. That could be eating something outside because you've been caught away from home too long, needing someone else to check up on your pet, getting extra-expensive gas just because it's the closest, paying someone for a lift or a gas can, getting a hotel to avoid exposure issues, etc.

I appreciate it, but I've had this car long enough that I knew I had enough gas for the trip, and the farthest I was from a gas station at any point was about 7 miles. Due to a period of a few months in my early 20s where I was flat loving broke and selling plasma for gas money to get to and from aforementioned rural 6 acres I know that I have 25-30 miles after the light comes on, although I do make a point of making sure that I have enough for any trip I take without counting on that last bit of gas.

I still haven't gotten up to date on transactions, but I've had a bad stroke of luck which at the same time came at the right time since I've been so frugal this month. The maintenance crew for the park came by a few days ago to install heat tape on a new water meter that they installed due to my old one not working right. While they were there they said "Actually that skirting isn't good enough and will break, fix it yesterday" and "you've got leaks under your camper, fix it yesterday" with the threat of eviction if I don't take action because they're afraid that it will damage the plumbing back to the main when it starts getting into single digit temperatures. Very frustrating to have that sprung on me with no notice but they have been very helpful in terms of ideas of how to get it done and upgrading the fresh water and sewage lines so everything is under my camper and safer from the cold. I don't think they're against me so much as they weren't paying attention and now nature is breathing down our necks.

So I have spent the past couple days doing initial remediation and today I picked up $250 of corrugated steel, a can of expanding foam crack-sealing insulation, and a pallet from the free boxes pile by the food bank, so I can do more durable skirting. I'm borrowing a circular saw and a pry bar from a friend so I can turn that pallet into stakes that I'll fasten the steel to, seal the cracks with foil tape and spray can insulation For the leaks, I'm going to tear up the floor where the last leak was because it seems to be in roughly the same spot and try to fix it, failing that I'm going to have to spend another few hundred on a plumber. I guess this is why I was building up an emergency fund, just wish I had been able to build it up for more than a month :smith:

So yeah, I hope the thread doesn't think I'm making excuses, but my time has been 50% work, 30% emergency camper maintenance, 20% keeping up with ongoing interview stuff which is a time sink because I've got about 8 balls in the air right now as far as that goes. I have two scheduled phone screens and a second interview tomorrow, a phone call and an interview scheduled for next week, and am waiting to hear back on scheduling for a handful of other things. I'm trying to keep my priorities straight but right now that means keeping the thread and my transactions updated is falling behind keeping my job, not getting evicted, and keeping the interview process going.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I appreciate it, but I've had this car long enough that I knew I had enough gas for the trip

This is not being frugal, it's being reckless. Fill your tank when it gets to half. That way if you get bad gas you aren't as likely to be totally screwed.

Also, running that low is begging to drag up crap from the bottom of your tank and also doesn't cool the fuel pump sufficiently. Just stop doing things like this. This is what budgeting is about : so you aren't doing risky things for no good reason. Even if the risk is low, it's still a risk and there is no reason at all to take it.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

30% emergency camper maintenance

Yes, who could have predicted something like "winter"?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I thought I had it prepared for winter and they said "lol no that's not good enough." Now I have had to re-plan the whole thing and have to tear down what I have, re-do something much more labor intensive, and on top of that find the problems with my plumbing that I didn't know were there until they told me because I don't go under the camper.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

because I don't go under the camper.

So do you think that it's a responsible decision to not be doing things like that?

Again, we're getting into a lot more than just money and budgets here, but the end result hits your budget. You live in a CAMPER. This is, by definition, a temporary structure. Don't you think you should be spending more time inspecting it and preparing for bad weather?

It sounds like this will be your first winter there, otherwise you would already have this skirting and other things. Don't you think it would have been a good idea to ask for help and advice on this ahead of time so you didn't end up doing a bunch of things that you have to now "tear down what I have"? Didn't you put 3d printing supplies in your budget for this? How many other people near you with similar setups have felt the need to 3d print parts of their winterization plan?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

A little shocked that this work seems to have apparently just sneaked up on you. If I were you I would take a high paying job at the absolute earliest opportunity, even if it's an absolute poo poo show, and get out of the camper and into proper accommodation. Your lack of preparation or foresight is telling that this may not be the only issue you encounter as the winter fully comes in. I have a inkling this is not something you are going to consider, however.

qhat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 23, 2021

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I can look into moving somewhere else but housing is lacking in this area. It's not even necessarily the price, although that's part of it, there's just maybe three or four vacancies at any point. Lots of rich people from out of state buying vacation homes or running AirBnBs for tourists. That's part of why I got myself into this in the first place, aside from having to pay for my ex's rent for a while. I've never had a camper in the past so I definitely got in over my head. My goal at this point is to get a high paying job (actively working on this part) and get a proper tiny house ASAP, I'm just not sure whether I should fully pay off my high interest debt first. I feel like yes, there's enough of a lead time on building a tiny house unless I buy one that has already been made that I wouldn't be able to get it until after the winter anyway.

Motronic posted:

So do you think that it's a responsible decision to not be doing things like that?

Again, we're getting into a lot more than just money and budgets here, but the end result hits your budget. You live in a CAMPER. This is, by definition, a temporary structure. Don't you think you should be spending more time inspecting it and preparing for bad weather?

It sounds like this will be your first winter there, otherwise you would already have this skirting and other things. Don't you think it would have been a good idea to ask for help and advice on this ahead of time so you didn't end up doing a bunch of things that you have to now "tear down what I have"? Didn't you put 3d printing supplies in your budget for this? How many other people near you with similar setups have felt the need to 3d print parts of their winterization plan?

I guess I can take out a piece of the skirting and crawl around under the camper once every couple weeks or something, there's going to have to be access hatches to get to the pipes underneath it.

I did get advice from a friend who has lived up here for seven years or so, but apparently it was bad advice. He lives in a shithole house rather than a shithole camper or mobile home. We both used to work construction so we thought we had it figured out, we were wrong. I was 3d printing stuff because I thought it would work and would cost much less than buying similar parts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I did get advice from a friend who has lived up here for seven years or so, but apparently it was bad advice.

Are you willing to ask for more advice from the people who came by to inspect this and tell you it wasn't good enough? Because it sounds like those and potentially your neighbors in the same living situation, are the kinds of people you should be asking.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, I'm already in contact with the management and the maintenance people. I ran the idea of the corrugated steel past the maintenance crew yesterday while they were here and the lead guy said they did the same thing with another place in the park, and mentioned that if I was going to put the corrugation sideways I should have some kind of frame to keep it rigid because the rigidity is mostly along the axis of the corrugation. That's why I picked up the pallet, it's treated wood so it won't have a problem with ground contact. I also emailed the manager with an explanation of my plan to make sure he's okay with it.

Basically the reason I posted this update is that I'm not sure how long it's going to be until I catch back up with this side of things because I'm completely fried just handling the essentials.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Basically the reason I posted this update is that I'm not sure how long it's going to be until I catch back up with this side of things because I'm completely fried just handling the essentials.

You still don't seem to understand that this is exactly the kind of thing that made you post this thread to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I can look into moving somewhere else but housing is lacking in this area. It's not even necessarily the price, although that's part of it, there's just maybe three or four vacancies at any point. Lots of rich people from out of state buying vacation homes or running AirBnBs for tourists. That's part of why I got myself into this in the first place, aside from having to pay for my ex's rent for a while. I've never had a camper in the past so I definitely got in over my head. My goal at this point is to get a high paying job (actively working on this part) and get a proper tiny house ASAP, I'm just not sure whether I should fully pay off my high interest debt first. I feel like yes, there's enough of a lead time on building a tiny house unless I buy one that has already been made that I wouldn't be able to get it until after the winter anyway.
You should get the high paying job, move somewhere more comfortable, _and_ pay off the debt. That is one of the benefits of having a lot more money come in. It's not until you have that money coming in that you will realize how restricted you were before.