Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Welcome to the Halo Infinite thread! We're happy you're here, and if you haven't been keeping up with Halo there is a lot to cover. We'll start with the most important bits for people just looking to make an informed purchase, and then we'll continue on with the more in-depth details.

Multiplayer is free.
Campaign is $60, or included with Xbox Game Pass.
Campaign Co-op and the The Forge level editor will be added eventually.

If you are looking to talk about legacy Halo or the Master Chief Collection, please visit the MCC thread here.

Table of Contents
1) The Essentials - You are here.
2) Campaign
3) Multiplayer
4) Resources, Discords and everything off-site.

I am new to Halo, what is it?
Everyone is already upset, and you've started yet another crisis within the community. Great job.

Halo is a first person shooter with a fun campaign, engaging multiplayer, and some of the best fun around. It's unique in that you can either be as serious as you want, or even as casual as you want and you'll still have a great time.

As of now, Halo offers:
- A semi-open world campaign, following the events of Halo 5: Guardians.
- Multiplayer, including competitive 4v4, casual Big Team Battle (24 players) and a suite of fun minigames known as the "Action Sack".
- The Forge (Launching with season 3), a level editor that is accessible to newbies and feature-rich for veterans.
- Theater replays, where you can watch your prior matches.
- Lore lore lore, tons of it. Books, comics, there's even a TV series coming.

I've been gone but I'm interested in Infinite, where should I start?
If you have the time, I recommend the Master Chief Collection, available on Steam, Windows Store, and Xbox Game Pass. Whether you're on console or PC, the classic Halo campaigns are a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, Halo 5: Guardians is only on Xbox One. Fortunately, this game's campaign is not one of the best, and you could easily watch the game casually on YouTube to get caught up. There's still fun to be had, however, if you have the time I do recommend playing through it. This game is available to stream via Xcloud with an active Xbox Game Pass subscription if you're into that.

I hear a lot of concern about Halo Infinite...
The Halo community is NOTORIOUS for being a bunch of babies. If you're really unsure, get a game pass trial for like $2 and try it for yourself.

Note: In no way is this messaging intended to throw shade at any Goons, who are way more reasonable than the greater Halo community.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Infinite brings us to Zeta Halo in a fight against the Banished, aka the bad guys from Halo Wars 2. They're a faction that has separated against the Covenant from the previous games. You're still fighting familiar enemies, but the new enemy brings in some fun twists that are sure to shake up the gameplay. If you're curious about them Halo Wars 2 is available on Game Pass, but it isn't essential to play it to understand the events of Infinite.

Zeta Halo is also a semi-open world, opening up plenty of tactical opportunities and strategies that you'll be able to use against the Banished. In addition to the new format, you'll encounter new weapons and equipment, INCLUDING A GRAPPLE HOOK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFh2i4AlPD4

Overall, the campaign is looking to be a fun experience. We're a little short on information at the moment, so please forgive me for the lack of words in this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o596iuDh1ZE
Video should be timestamped to 1:08.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The next generation of Halo multiplayer is here, and this poo poo fucks. It's free, and worlds better than 4 & 5's multiplayer. Plus, it's got crossplay, so you can own noobs with your friends, no matter what bad purchase they made.

Getting this out of the way, yes, sprint is in the game. But it's been nerfed heavily, providing only a 8.9% speed gain. It's more of stance change so you can slide. You can still clamber like in Halo 5, but a lot of the cheese has been removed. Fundamentals are king in competitive multiplayer.

In casual, you can expect a suite of new modes and an even bigger Big Team Battle. 343 is working hard to breathe new life into the game wherever they can, and this will show in the multiplayer especially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i86Ckj8xKk

You may have heard rumors of a Battle Royale mode coming to Halo. At this time, there is nothing that would definitely show that BR has been added to Infinite. The only indicator is a single announcer voice line, and that can easily be cut content or used for custom games. If anything changes on this front, I'll post about it.

For those of you into Esports, the Halo Championship Series will be in full swing with Infinite. Crossplay factors in here, too. Unfortunately, we don't have much news on the gametype format. We'll know more with time.

The cool news is that we'll be getting regular content drops, as Infinite is a "live service" game. Each season brings a new battle pass, but you don't have to rush. You'll be able to level whichever pass you choose, past or present. Each season is expected to last about 3 months, each with it's own theme. The first season will be Reach-themed, so good luck if you forgot.

Player customization has changed, with new armor and weapon "cores" that bring bigger changes to your Spartan's visuals. In addition, armor coatings serve as full-on paintjobs instead of just color pickers. This is a replacement to the legacy system, and only time will tell if anyone will like this new system.

If you're a noob you can practice against the newly added bots, too. They're based around player behavior and they actually put up a pretty decent fight. 343 gathered a lot of information during the last flight, and I even got the chance to pass along my own feedback directly to one of the devs. This isn't some weird flex, 343 is just out here working to improve everything they can for launch.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Halo Insider - This is how you get into to the "flights", otherwise known as early access previews. Make sure your profile is up to date between each flight, and don't make any assumptions when it comes to filling our your profile. Take the time to do it right!

Anchor 9 - Halo Community - My corner of the Halo community. Goons are encouraged to send me a message so I can give you the LLJK tag. Chill server, everyone is pretty agreeable, and we'll teach you how to play if you need help.

Marvelous Elite Pro Gamer Society - Very large Goon Discord with a lot of different games, including Halo MCC/Infinite!

Halopedia - The best Halo wiki, full of tons of lore information.

Waypoint - The official Halo site. It's cool for looking at groups and customizing your armor. If you're wanting news at it drops, this is where it ends up first... usually.

Of course, if you're looking for information that isn't here: :justpost:

Agoat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 15, 2021

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
This post has been delayed. We will have content here sometime during Season 2.

Agoat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 25, 2021

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

First non OP post

Anyways, Dec 8th was almost the last day they'd get it out for 2021. And we have campaign coop delayed for 3 months and forge mode delayed for 6 months.

To quote myself...

Halo: Forward Unto Delay

Looking forward to playing with goons here. I still play Halo mcc occasionally with fart. Do we have a discord for this?

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Ineffiable posted:

First non OP post

Anyways, Dec 8th was almost the last day they'd get it out for 2021. And we have campaign coop delayed for 3 months and forge mode delayed for 6 months.

To quote myself...

Halo: Forward Unto Delay

Looking forward to playing with goons here. I still play Halo mcc occasionally with fart. Do we have a discord for this?

I'd be happy to make one if we don't. I love making servers and stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Armor looks cool, not being able to pick colors and only getting patterns ala Destiny sucks.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Nice thread! Can't wait to murder you guys in Halo Infinite.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm cautiously excited for this, I only got to play two days of the flight (and only against bots on one map) but I loved what I played.

I'm down with a semi-openworld campaign too.

I like that the art style has gone away from the awful poo poo 343 had going and back towards the Bungie games too.

Not too sure about the armour coatings though. Hope jt doesn't take too long to get a Trans Pride one.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 25, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinite Multiplayer is going to own in my opinion. The tech test was really good, and the fact that multi will be completely free and cross play means it's going to have a huge and healthy community. Microsoft is also finally adding bots to multiplayer competitive matches, something the community has asked for since day 1 of Halo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's actually really interesting. There's not a lot of 'arena' shooters in the f2p space (splitgate is the most recent contender) so this could be really appealing to a lot of people.

F2p should keep it alive really long (honestly mcc still has a healthy player base except for h1/h2)

I'm glad I can continue using my Xbox one x for this game, I just don't want to upgrade to the series x yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Believe in the sign of zeta

Wait, wrong series

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

Believe in the sign of zeta

Wait, wrong series

Get your Karaba Sirocco armor coating and we'll see about that.

Speaking of, doesn't the colour scheme on that armor look a bit like the Dijeh colors?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm excited to see what previous plot threads are dropped (all of them it looks like) and what new hooks are written (to be themselves dropped for Halo 7: LOCKE'S BACK AND THIS TIME YOU'LL LIKE HIM) in the campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I refuse to like Locke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGVXkcSFPsY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arc Hammer posted:

Get your Karaba Sirocco armor coating and we'll see about that.

Speaking of, doesn't the colour scheme on that armor look a bit like the Dijeh colors?

It looks like the Gundam Mk 2 to me, Dijehs more green than grey

I hope there's a headphone helmet lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

It looks like the Gundam Mk 2 to me, Dijehs more green than grey

I hope there's a headphone helmet lol

The gray green and the tan vambraces are throwing me off.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Master Chief, you mind telling me what you're doing in that studio?

Master Chief will reply in Season 3

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Excellent thread title.

Shiroc posted:

I'm excited to see what previous plot threads are dropped (all of them it looks like) and what new hooks are written (to be themselves dropped for Halo 7: LOCKE'S BACK AND THIS TIME YOU'LL LIKE HIM) in the campaign.

the more plot threads they can drop from 4 the better, so I'll take my chances with Locke

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bring back Lord Hood and his horrible monster face

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RBA Starblade posted:

I’m here what are you gonna do

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

I’m here what are you gonna do

Give the covenant back their bomb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Who do I have to gently caress to get off this ship and finish the fight?

Lord Hood: I can get you off...

I like how Hood never looks the same, ever. He looks like Sir Topham Hatt in Halo 2, zombie eyes Ron Perlman in Halo 3, and a cross between Lance Hendrickson and Clint Eastwood in Halo 2 Anniversary.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

RBA Starblade posted:

You're rude for saying that, it's obviously based on Ron Perlman's real face.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Low key one of the best things about Halo 3 campaign is all the cinematics having this super ambitious fancy rear end lighting all over a bunch of char models that look like they were made by an extremely enthusiastic Oblivion modder

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1430598712301015040

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

skasion posted:

Low key one of the best things about Halo 3 campaign is all the cinematics having this super ambitious fancy rear end lighting all over a bunch of char models that look like they were made by an extremely enthusiastic Oblivion modder

I genuinely think it's kind of cool that Halo 3 chose a weird lower resolution rendering approach in order to do more wild colors and lighting. I wish more games would go with that. Especially back in the era of "desaturate everything to make lighting easier". People were very upset at the time that Halo 3 wasn't running at true 1080 or whatever but I thought it looked spectacular even if it didn't have maximum pixels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Halo 3 looks mostly great because its so clean. Cherry Red Team and Blueberry Blue Team and all the colors pop so nicely. Just don't look at the faces.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Halo 3 looks great as long as you’re not looking at the actual people (or Truth, wtf is that model jesus).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A story trailer for multiplayer that says 'hope' a bunch and is not good. (Just from a basic blocking perspective why would you visually set up the Scorpion and then not use it for anything?) Cynicism levels enhanced

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Just from a basic blocking perspective why would you visually set up the Scorpion and then not use it for anything? Cynicism levels enhanced

I never get tired of Internet armchair experts.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I am literally an armchair expert because all I do is sit in my chair and write for video games.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Good for you. I just really wish we didn't have this culture of constantly drive-by making GBS threads on the work of others when we don't know anything about the creators or the constraints they're working under.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I have a really good idea of the creators (some of them are my friends!) and the constraints they're working under (I, too, have ridden a flaming mess of a game all the way to the point of impact and paid the very real personal price involved in crunch and post-partum devastation). But this wasn't a good trailer and everyone who worked on it is probably aware of that. It can even be cathartic to see people in the public recognizing the same flaws that you called out during development and weren't able to address.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If this were any other franchise this game would have been quietly canceled. I am actually impressed that what they showed gameplaywise is as good as it is.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOthvD1rMbQ

So now I'm confused. Why were the Brutes attacking London during the battle for Earth if all their forces were converging on East Africa? Miranda says in 3 that Truth concentrated all his ground forces around Mombasa and just bombarded the rest of the planet. The flashback has gotta be in 2552 because the Brutes have overtaken the Elites on Earth. But then why are the Spartans in Mjolnir Mk 7 GEN3 when Mk7 wasn't in service outside of Naomi's testbed GEN1 suit.

How the hell does a civilian teenager in 2552 become a Spartan 4 by 2560 when the S4s only recruit volunteers from the military?

The lore nerd in me says this poo poo makes no sense but I'm overthinking it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 25, 2021

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, I think it's a fine idea for a trailer, it's just really boring compared to past executions of the same concept (like the We Are ODST trailer, or Deliver Hope, or whatever).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
They just announced Dec 8 but didn't do it at gamescom??? Wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

William Bear posted:

You're rude for saying that, it's obviously based on Ron Perlman's real face.

But like all of Bungie's faces based on people it came out wrong

See also: Dare