Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

I'm really hoping we get a few new maps when the campaign launches next week.

My optimistic side is thinking they must have some maps that are aesthetically themed around campaign stuff that they held back. Because right now the number of maps is just not good. I mean hell there isn't even a decent one-flag/assault (ow my heart) map! Launch Site doesn't count bc the defending team doesn't even get a fun base to hold.

BTB also desperately needs more maps.

I thought it was already confirmed there won't be for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it was already confirmed there won't be for a while

Oh I did not see that if so. Sad :(

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Flair posted:

Where do you find the pulse carbines?

I only know the location on two maps: behemoth and bazaar. On behemoth it's off near the edge next to one of the vehicle spawns and on bazaar it's back next to where your flag is in CTF. I think it's also random if you get this weapon rotation or another.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PantsBandit posted:

Oh I did not see that if so. Sad :(

I'd certainly be happy to be wrong, the maps are good but there aren't a lot right now

Only one I don't like is the 4v4 circular sand one and even then I like it when there aren't sniper spawns all over the place

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd certainly be happy to be wrong, the maps are good but there aren't a lot right now

Only one I don't like is the 4v4 circular sand one and even then I like it when there aren't sniper spawns all over the place

I'm more and more thinking that Deadlock is a Bad Map and when it's 1/3 of the available options for BTB it starts to wear on you.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The only thing that bothers me about Deadlock is that in one of the game modes, one of the bases gets 2 commandos while the other gets 2 battle rifles. In every other game mode it's 1 and 1. Pisses me off when I'm on the commando side.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

The only thing that bothers me about Deadlock is that in one of the game modes, one of the bases gets 2 commandos while the other gets 2 battle rifles. In every other game mode it's 1 and 1. Pisses me off when I'm on the commando side.

Man I have so many issues with it. It's just not a good BTB map imo. On the objective modes the map essentially gets split in half in a way that doesn't happen on the other maps. That combined with the massive open areas you have to run through (there also aren't enough vehicles) make it somehow feel too small and too big at the same time.

I also think the other maps are better about having geographical terrain that give the attacking teams benefits. Like Fragmentation has rock outcroppings that give the attacking team really good cover and vision on the opposing base. On Deadlock it feels like you essentially have to get a lucky push or have the game drop you a tank or something to actually take the enemy team's zones.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whenever anyone discusses halo 4s plot i realize i remember none of it and that all my antipathy towards the game ia generated by the incredibly bad enemy design

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I'm really hoping we get a few new maps when the campaign launches next week.

My optimistic side is thinking they must have some maps that are aesthetically themed around campaign stuff that they held back. Because right now the number of maps is just not good. I mean hell there isn't even a decent one-flag/assault (ow my heart) map! Launch Site doesn't count bc the defending team doesn't even get a fun base to hold.

BTB also desperately needs more maps.
The official announcement for this beta release says it has "all day-one maps and modes". I wouldn't expect to see any new maps before Season 2 starts in May, but I'd love to be surprised.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ZeusCannon posted:

Whenever anyone discusses halo 4s plot i realize i remember none of it and that all my antipathy towards the game ia generated by the incredibly bad enemy design

It’s frustrating that 343 hasn’t seen fit to adjust a few numbers on Knight shield stun and Watcher health and fix about 50% of the gameplay issues right there. I think Halo 5 got a big single player rebalance, and 4 definitely could’ve used the same.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Do you have to beat all of the challenges listed in a week in order to get the final one for whatever the weekly prize is?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

Do you have to beat all of the challenges listed in a week in order to get the final one for whatever the weekly prize is?

Yep

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Now I'm just a simple internet poster but doesn't that make the challenge swaps a really limited utility thing thing? They're for players who care enough to progress and try to get a better challenge but don't care enough about the weeklies where they need all of them anyway?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

Now I'm just a simple internet poster but doesn't that make the challenge swaps a really limited utility thing thing? They're for players who care enough to progress and try to get a better challenge but don't care enough about the weeklies where they need all of them anyway?

It doesn't swap with an existing one, it wholly rerolls it

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

This is some boring dystopia poo poo.

I hate it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

RBA Starblade posted:

It doesn't swap with an existing one, it wholly rerolls it

Ah, I thought it was just putting in a different one from the main list.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

sticksy posted:

All of these pay-for-challenge swaps seem to be a very cynical acknowledgement by 343 that their challenges really suck!

Microsoft, the publisher, would be the ones primarily in charge of marketing and monetization, not 343. But yeah, they probably do know the challenges suck

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 3, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I finally tried paralyzing a vehicle with the disruptor. He maintained momentum and careened off a cliff :lol:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shiroc posted:

Ah, I thought it was just putting in a different one from the main list.

Nope, but there's no protection on it either, so if you swap a second challenge it may give you the original one you swapped the first time around lol

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are challenges built and scored based on difficulty or completely random? Why is 10 pvp kills with the pulse carbine worth the same xp as 1 pvp kill with the stalker rifle?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
It's been probably a decade since I've had to say this but please just take the BR out of Halo. It sucks so much

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Crain posted:

I hate it.

https://twitter.com/lakers/status/1466830844329398276?s=21

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Ain't no rule say the Spartan can't play basketball.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm getting tired of CTF on Bazaar in Ranked. I always seem to wind up playing that one. Ranked also needs progression based on player performance instead of just W/L. Sometimes I feel like I'm the most competently performing member of my team and all that means nothing when we lose.

The extra experience bonuses for daily play are nice, yeah, and if Season Passes don't expire I might try sending some money their way. Might. We'll see if they fix the rest of the challenge system.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If on launch they have four playlists that are Quick Player Slayer , Quick Play Objective, BTB and BTB Slayer.

I will be happy. Itll be better if theres the huge spread of strange playlists griffball / zombie whatever but id be fine with that separation

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

ZeusCannon posted:

If on launch they have four playlists that are Quick Player Slayer , Quick Play Objective, BTB and BTB Slayer.

I will be happy. Itll be better if theres the huge spread of strange playlists griffball / zombie whatever but id be fine with that separation

https://twitter.com/Unyshek/status/1466858751722352643?s=20

So not launch, but soon.

Also calling bullshit on them not having a social slayer playlist queued up to go either. That's been the backbone of halo mp since the first. It's being held back for most likely MT reasons.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Bring on Blood Gulch, I say. I'm in my thirties and only a handful of places are familiar to me.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Crain posted:

Also calling bullshit on them not having a social slayer playlist queued up to go either. That's been the backbone of halo mp since the first. It's being held back for most likely MT reasons.

This game was originally supposed to launch a year ago. Was the plan to only launch the campaign and hold off on multiplayer until now? How do they not have these playlists ready to go? :psyduck:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

https://twitter.com/Unyshek/status/1466858751722352643?s=20

So not launch, but soon.

Legit do not understand how "playlists" is not something that can be added extraordinarily quickly but also hey at least itll be here some time in this game im not paying for

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Crain posted:

I hate it.

I mean is it any worse than the old Gamer Fuel promo?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I don't care about the playlists, I think it's okay as it is. more is better but I don't mind the current slayer/oddball/ctf/control thing.

though I'm getting a little sick of Oddball at Live Fire and anything at Launch Site

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Lammasu posted:

I mean is it any worse than the old Gamer Fuel promo?

The old Halo ones didn't come with anything, let alone "here's 5 consumables to counteract our intentionally bad reward design"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

ZeusCannon posted:

Legit do not understand how "playlists" is not something that can be added extraordinarily quickly but also hey at least itll be here some time in this game im not paying for

My guess is that they want to add the relevant challenges for the new playlists, they probably had a vague outline for the following weeks but needed to rejig it. It sounds simple but has a surprising amount of QA work involved

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I hope they add a Doom Praetorian armor core to this game, since Microsoft owns both of the green shooty boys now. I hope you could just buy it from the store instead of doing a challenge pass but boy howdy if you could play this game as a DOOM 2016 guy, that would just be the bee's knees.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I...kind of like that they're forcing objective modes into all playlists...they're peak Halo in a lot of respects but it's very hard to get people (myself included) to queue for them when vanilla Slayer/Team Slayer are available.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

No Assault is honestly criminal.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

zero kills, seven deaths, but I drove the smashed up warthog party bus for the flag carrier for all three caps. halo is the best :grovertruk:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm not going to lie, I don't mind and sometimes even love the insane tie-ins with Rockstar or Doritos or whatever. The weird part about the Chipotle offer is that its just challenge swaps. Not even Double XP. Just a goddamn challenge swap!! Seems weirdly stingy.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

PantsBandit posted:

No, Assault is honestly criminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Assault is just flag but backwards and it explodes. Objectively better tbqh, but it falls down on two crucial counts.

1) flag was here first
2) flag looks cooler