Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Sure I’m in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Where is the player list grand? I need to know who I can vote!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Grandicap posted:

Grandicap's Cheesy Herby Frenched Fries

Ok, so I totally forgot to take pictures of the initial steps of this, and as a the mod I'm deeply ashamed, but let's start with the ingredients and equipment you'll need.

Ingredients
Russet Potatoes
Herbs
Oil
Salt
Cheese

Equipment
Mandolin (optional)
Knife
Rimmed Baking Sheet
Parchment Paper (optional)
Oven

Steps
1) Cut your potatoes to desired size on your mandolin. Here's a pic of the mandolin I used, but no picture of me cutting things. I went with shoestring size because for this mandolin, that was a big as I could get them.

2) Put cut potatoes into a bowl of water, change the water a couple of times until it runs clear. This is washing the excess starch off of the taters.
3) Drain your cut potatoes and dry them well, moisture is the enemy of crispy fries. Also, if you are frying instead of baking it's way more important so you don't get splattered by oil, but it's important if you are baking them too.
4) Preheat your oven to 375oF.
5) Dice some herbs. I used parsley and thyme. Ignore the butter in the pic, that was for a different recipe.

6) Toss your taters with some oil and the herbs and, then spread out on a single layer on some rimmed baking sheets.
7) Bake your herby potatoes at 375oF for like 20 minutes, if you went with like steak cut fries, do it for 25 minutes instead. It should come out like this.

Now you can put them in some sort of air tight container and store for quite some time in the fridge and even longer in the freezer. Either way, cooking them a second time is how you get crispy fries.

8) Put some of your par cooked fries on a baking sheet (or keep them there if you didn't store them for later), toss them with some salt to taste at this point, you can add more herbs here too, taste your undercooked fries if you want to now, they will be soggy, but not raw, so you can get an idea for seasoning.
9) Bake the potatoes at 500oF for like 20 more minutes, this should crisp them up.

10) Add cheese, no, more than that.

11) Cook for anther 3-5 minutes at 500, or broil.

12) Eat your baked frenched fried herby, cheesy potatoes!

Grandicap's Cheesy Herby Frenched Fries are worth 25 points.

Mr Moderator, have you tried freezing them in between the first and second cook? I remember something about frozen taters being the key to crispy taters.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Ok merk not voting you this game. My grandmother’s pozole was one of my favorite things in the world growing up, and the definition of comfort food for me.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

And I’m just going to assume you made a mistake and meant to say “Mexican oregano” in your recipe.

(Honestly regular oregano is good too, but if I don’t have Mexican oregano I often use tarragon as a sub. It has more of that dry taste that I consider the real difference between oregano and Mexican oregano)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Oh you add the oregano in the cook, not as a garnish. Yeah doesn’t matter at all then what type you use.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Ancho and guajillo are dried chilies and on the less hot more flavor side. But if you are worried I’d go with merks other option and buy ancho or guajillo paste and the add it to taste slowly so you don’t make it too hot.

Also if you do get it too hot a little bit of vinegar often can help cool it off. Like a teaspoon in the broth. Go with something neutral in flavor if you can (rice vinegar, etc)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I’m not a huge fan of how acidic green bell peppers are but I can see that. I’d probably do some mild Italian sweet pepper finely diced because I prefer sweetness to acid in chili (habinero over Serrano for example). Also a huge Anaheim or poblano is generally little heat if you remove seeds and rib flesh.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, I often do one green, one red, as you may get to see shortly in my slow cooker recipe

So you want me to vote you to kill the suspense?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Tomorrow I shall attempt something out of my comfort zone: dinosaur pancakes (or other requested animal).

It shall be horrible. You will all laugh. Check out my last attempt at a triceratops:

I guess I could have pretended that I did that now but when you cheat at cooking you only cheat yourself.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, that's definitely a triceratops.

Not according to my son. All I got in response was "I don't know, did you try your best papa?"

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Grandicap posted:

:siren:Flash Recipe Deal #1:siren:

Make something out of your comfort zone.

This deal is worth 15 points and will be available until the beginning of D2.

Also heads up for :siren:Flash Recipe Deal #2:siren:, it will be something slow cooked. Giving a heads up in case someone wants to do a multi day cook.

Take 2 on triceratops pancakes:

Click here if you want to hear his response I’m new to posting video on here

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

But plastic was scum in my last game and I want revenge!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

So I've debated this a bit once I realized how the spice rack works: the spice I know seems to grant a power that is inherently more useful for scum. Is it best to say nothing, to say what the power is but not the spice, or to just come clean and then as a group maybe we can try to determine who would have taken that spice as some sort of scum tell? Not even sure if that third one would work.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I mean, yeah, they look like something you could get from a bakery, but where are the dinosaur shapes?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

GenericGirlName posted:

It’s very funny that every single game I’m in there’s some contingent of people who don’t understand that sometimes people want a mason so they can poo poo post more and it’s not a grand strategy or conspiracy.

For many years I was on the "mason's are worthless" bandwagon.

I have changed. Masons are great. But not everyone has seen the light.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

And ##vote plastic. Mostly revenge.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah CPIG was thinking what I was thinking. One of the spices lets you swap players spices, including taking their spice and giving it to you. So if I had SWAPPY SPICE and I target someone with a cop or doc, I give them swappy spice and take their power (the swappy power doesn't get used in that case, so they could use it to swap again later on).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Also seven hours. I'm not going to pretend I find anyone scummy right now, I'm just glad I got my recipe posted and sent to Grand.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalp with the cumin pun!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

You're asking we not hammer until close to the actual deadline because you misplaced your recipe? Lol

My recipe is in, my husband is having surgery tomorrow but if all goes well I should be around in plenty of time for deadline. I'll probably be phone posting here and there from the hospital. I am hoping to do some cooking while he's passed out.

I just saw this rereading you. Hope the surgery has gone or is going well.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalp, I don't think you are scum, and I'd like to play in a game where you live to day 2 again after our last couple games, so take this for what it is:

Do you think anyone voting someone for not cooking in a cooking mafia game is doing it for scummy reasons, as opposed to just embracing the game?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

Lets do another one:

"I'm on your side bud, but you're unreasonable and I don't like your arguments."

Thanks for the support voodoo. If you're scum, I think it's a pretty nasty scum play. You're just positioning yourself my execution if I don't post food pics in 5 hours.

I'm on your side. I'm not voting you or anyone else because they don't post food - if anything keeping the game vanilla is probably pro-town as scum can coordinate actions with the spices much easier. I just don't think it's anything more than neutral for someone else to vote you for not posting cooking.

But you should vote Plastic with me. Plastic was on the scum team that took you out night 1 in whatever that last game was.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

And remember, revenge is a dish best served cold.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

i'm not going to vote someone I am null on when there's content.

Where is the fun in that?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Merk, vote PA. Do I need to post Paw Patrol?

Also make a cocktail. Then drink your wine.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

If PA is telling the truth then PA knows where the vig is. If PA is scum then scum already know where the vig is, but we can then execute scum.

If PA is town then at least we keep vig knowledge away from scum.

Plus REVENGE!!!

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ObamaAkbar. posted:

There is literally no case on plastic right?

PA hasn't posted much. PA knows who the vig is. PA beat me last game.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

ObamaAkbar. posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on my sci case?

I don't see science as scum for trying to get things moving the way he did.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

I could see it but I think my RF stuff is better, recap incoming

your RF case is fine. I don't think you are scummy for making it. I just prefer voting PA for revenge.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

how would you give up the vig spice if you are execued?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalpaz posted:

Do you remember when in discords I would post microwaved brussels sprouts with pepper salt and mustard on them?

Ok so now I sort of want to vote you.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

merk posted:

There's no way I'm voting the best cook ever in this game. I don't care what Sci's alignment is.

I want to see his dish, though.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Toalp what makes that a "Canadian" burrito?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

##vote rf I don’t want to make pozole this weekend it’s too hot.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

God drat sci

Also those croissants look amazing from both of you.

And OA I liked your pasta.

I mean, none of you are tackling the true challenge of dinosaur pancakes.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Motherfucker! I had a couple pounds of pork butt in the freezer I was going to use to make carnitas in the slow cook challenge. I pulled it out yesterday to thaw in the fridge but checking it now it’s shot.

Looks like no carnitas for the thread.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Weekend saved! I remembered there are things called grocery stores that sell more pork butt.

Carnitas de Leon incoming in a day or so.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve been cooking since 700am and completely forgot that we are playing a game. But I’ll have some good food for you all in a bit.

Also plastic was revenge but also a gut vote. The response about the vig and the handful of posts then nothing felt as good as anything to vote. Haven’t really looked at their posts today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Here have a preview of one of the elements: