Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Black August posted:

okay so this is 'taking it too personally' and I am advising you to have FUN with the good game that is not actively hating on women, and just chill out
I did have fun. This narrative trick where you tell people that the person you disagree with is super angry and unreasonable is kind of a dick move, yo.

I'm allowed to have opinions that aren't yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Y'all, I'm not telling you how you should feel about the game when I tell you how I felt about the game.

I know it's the internet, but c'mon, now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

Y'all, I'm not telling you how you should feel about the game when I tell you how I felt about the game.

You don't actually get to pull this card when you posted things like "And if that is what's interesting, why do you think so, and why poo poo on all the little girls who grew up with, or could grow up with, a protagonist who has their poo poo together outside of cutscenes?" That goes beyond giving your opinion and pretty bluntly trying to imply misogyny from people who liked the game.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Liquid has always been like this. Samus rules. Dread rules. Participation just leads to more derailing

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh they're an idiot freak, gotcha, thank you

the best redemption for Other M's contemptible failure has been Dread Samus' complete no-sell of fear throughout the entire game, especially her absolutely incredible outrage and violence towards Raven Beak for having the NERVE to capitalize on his Chozo advantages to try galactic domination right at the end, seeing her starving hand grabbing for his terrified face like it was the last twinkie in the galaxy was a spine-tingler

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

LividLiquid posted:

I wish I could agree, but this game, much like most of the last games, has been all about Samus being afraid.

Pretty sure the only one this actually applies to is Other M and that's why people hate it so much. There's a big difference between Samus being afraid of something and pissing herself in terror as her character is treated like a beaten dog, and simply knowing she isn't ready to tackle a specific hazard yet and intelligently avoiding what would kill her until she's better equipped.

If you'd rather the scenario involve her being able to tackle any hazard at any time with upgrades only making life easier instead of hard gating progress, then yeah I kinda agree that might be an interesting idea for a game but was never part of the series formula since the first.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Nov 29, 2021

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

That's just it. She did. I didn't, and that's what I didn't like.

There's no sense in us arguing about it. If you like Samus being helpless, that's your Metroid experience and I wouldn't dream of telling you that you're wrong

you're a huge loving dumbass who has basically zero media literacy

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Black August posted:

seeing her starving hand grabbing for his terrified face like it was the last twinkie in the galaxy was a spine-tingler

:emptyquote:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

ImpAtom posted:

Samus has literally never felt more powerful during standard gameplay than in Dredd. I genuinely am not sure what you are expecting short of something that is not Metroid.

Grud, I would absolutely love a Metroidvania of Judge Dredd working his way up Peach Trees blowing up slomo labs and blasting the drokk out of perps.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

jackhunter64 posted:

Grud, I would absolutely love a Metroidvania of Judge Dredd working his way up Peach Trees blowing up slomo labs and blasting the drokk out of perps.

Melee counters have Dredd slam a perp on the floor and cuff them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You don't get to say passive aggressive bs like this:

LividLiquid posted:

That's just it. She did. I didn't, and that's what I didn't like.

There's no sense in us arguing about it. If you like Samus being helpless, that's your Metroid experience and I wouldn't dream of telling you that you're wrong

And then act like you have the moral high ground:

LividLiquid posted:

You c'mon now

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Behold, the actions of a woman rendered helpless with terror.

Edit: The only person in-universe even suggesting that Samus is afraid or helpless is actively attempting to deceive and manipulate her.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 29, 2021

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

girl dick energy posted:

Behold, the actions of a woman rendered helpless with terror.

Edit: The only person in-universe even suggesting that Samus is afraid or helpless is actively attempting to deceive and manipulate her.

Can you not FEEL the terror in her body language in this shot? :v:

Let's not even mention the sheer terror she displayed when she delivered that axe kick onto Kraid's lower jaw and proceeded to pump missiles directly down his throat while forcing his mouth open for several seconds. :v:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Poor samus, so terrified. So weak. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

i was one of the villains in Metroid Dread. mmy name was "Loser Fuckface Nerd " and my catchphrase was "i cant fight her! shes too strong".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

i was one of the villains in Metroid Dread. mmy name was "Loser Fuckface Nerd " and my catchphrase was "i cant fight her! shes too strong".

Escue, is that you?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TaurusOxford posted:

Escue, is that you?

Hhelp she keeps sparking me

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Seriously, how do you not understand that running away from a currently impossible foe isn’t weakness, it’s loving common sense.

If anyone really walked away from Dread thinking “wowowow they just can’t show Samus as a strong, independent woman” then I can’t help but imagine what hot takes they would drop about Fusion lmao. That game starts with Samus admitting “this is by far the weakest I’ve ever been and I’m supposed to deal with a version of me at my absolute strongest, shits hosed.”

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

TaurusOxford posted:

Escue, is that you?

I liked the space pirate logs in Metroid Prime that boiled down to "oh poo poo oh poo poo she's coming"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kassad posted:

I liked the space pirate logs in Metroid Prime that boiled down to "oh poo poo oh poo poo she's coming"

I liked seeing this from both sides; the Chozo, wondering if they were seeing visions of the future with her arriving in a streak of burning vengeance vs the new interlopers…or the space pirates, immediately terrified that The Hunter had arrived, and OH GOD KILL HER ON SIGHT YOU IDIOTS :cry:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kassad posted:

those logs were very good :allears:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Oxxidation posted:

samus' first encounter with the EMMI reflects how you deal with them in-game as well. she shoots it with her beam, shoots it with her missiles, and when it no-sells both, she goes "well this isn't working" and then kicks it in the head and goes on the hunt for a tool that will. she's not helpless or vulnerable against the EMMI, she's just being smart

As an aside, these cutscenes struck me as an odd bit of pacing. The instructional nature of the cutscene introducing the white EMMI is so obvious and natural both for the player and diegetically that it's easy to forget, like here, that it's not the typical player's first encounter with an EMMI. The first EMMI is the busted one that can't climb, and Samus never tries to shoot it with anything during its cutscene. It feels very vestigial, like the white EMMI's introduction was made first (possibly for the reveal trailer), but then they later decided they wanted an earlier introduction to the basics of the EMMIs and made the busted one, and forgot or didn't have time to move the cutscene's very simple lesson of "shooting this doesn't work, all you got is dodge and counter" from the white EMMI to the busted one.

Player experience still works fine, it just seems so glaring that a slight design tweak would have laid the EMMIs out even more naturally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I Am Just a Box posted:

As an aside, these cutscenes struck me as an odd bit of pacing. The instructional nature of the cutscene introducing the white EMMI is so obvious and natural both for the player and diegetically that it's easy to forget, like here, that it's not the typical player's first encounter with an EMMI. The first EMMI is the busted one that can't climb, and Samus never tries to shoot it with anything during its cutscene. It feels very vestigial, like the white EMMI's introduction was made first (possibly for the reveal trailer), but then they later decided they wanted an earlier introduction to the basics of the EMMIs and made the busted one, and forgot or didn't have time to move the cutscene's very simple lesson of "shooting this doesn't work, all you got is dodge and counter" from the white EMMI to the busted one.

Player experience still works fine, it just seems so glaring that a slight design tweak would have laid the EMMIs out even more naturally.

I think that is because the first is to tutorial the grab/escape mechanic. It is weird though.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Adding to the above, you could argue Samus isn't sure what the droid is doing of yet narratively, so letting it get too close is a mistake anyone could make. The second time, there's zero doubt all of them are enemies, so time to open fire.

EDIT: Also, ADAM did tell her in the intro to treat the Federation tech with care, so not the time to fire on them yet.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 29, 2021

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

bladeworksmaster posted:

Adding to the above, you could argue Samus isn't sure what the droid is doing of yet narratively, so letting it get too close is a mistake anyone could make. The second time, there's zero doubt all of them are enemies, so time to open fire.

Right, all she knows going in is that they've lost contact, not that they've gone kill crazy. The first EMMI shows that they're hostile and incredibly lethal, the second shows that on top of that, they're also largely indestructible.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The first emmi is missing an arm and face plate, so while being a threat, you already know there's a bigger fish out there

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Makes you wonder what busted it up in the first place. Kraid?. Certainly not chozo rocksteady and bebop.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B1beXTnvEI

A good video worth watching.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s art you get in the gallery that shows Raven Beak blowing that EMMI’s face off

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
IDK if this is a thread that cares, but I completed my first Any% NMG speedrun of Dread. 2:31 IGT, which I'm pretty happy with, (especially since I broke from the route at the beginning because I hate those first two pseudowaves. They're a pain in the rear end to do with joycons.) Just IGT for now, because I regularly had to pause and check the routes and rewatch trick vids, but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing RTA within just another couple runs.

This is my first time speedrunning a Metroid game. The movement just feels so good and the game rewards improvement. I'm pretty sure I could shave off half an hour just from learning how to evade and run through enemies more effectively.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Makes you wonder what busted it up in the first place. Kraid?. Certainly not chozo rocksteady and bebop.

You get this in the post-game images for item completion.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N63Ot1bRkrs

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I had to watch it twice to catch it. Holy crap!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Replaying, can confirm game still rules

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kind of incredible that someone actually took the time to program that into the game simply because it makes physical sense.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Someone in the comments on that video points out that the bridge and void below it where Samus first fights Raven Beak is flooded when you activate the water systems and come back.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Kassad posted:

The pirate logs in Prime are so good. Everyone knows the morph ball one but my second favorite was in Echoes when they realize Samus and Dark Samus are two different beings and they are just like "oh poo poo oh gently caress there are TWO OF THEM NOW"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Ending for metroid 6:

The federation has cornered Samus in a foundry! An android Adam implores her to turn herself in. "We'll extract the metroid dna from you! Don't worry we won't use it for evil!"

Samus stares at him, then allows herself to fall backwards into a big smelting pot thing. "Nooooo!!" screams Adam. It's a long, slow, emotional shot with swelling music.

Samus is wearing the gravity suit so she just walks away.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Seriously, how do you not understand that running away from a currently impossible foe isn’t weakness, it’s loving common sense.

If anyone really walked away from Dread thinking “wowowow they just can’t show Samus as a strong, independent woman” then I can’t help but imagine what hot takes they would drop about Fusion lmao. That game starts with Samus admitting “this is by far the weakest I’ve ever been and I’m supposed to deal with a version of me at my absolute strongest, shits hosed.”

Heck if you want the "Samus is a loving dumbass" angle, there's the Japanese version of the Varia Suit segment in Other M which has you covered on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Araxxor posted:

Heck if you want the "Samus is a loving dumbass" angle, there's the Japanese version of the Varia Suit segment in Other M which has you covered on that front.

Wait, was that even worse originally? Because the localised one was pretty loving dumb.

(I've probably forgotten tons of stuff about Other M like this)