Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Metroid is the one that's actually a girl, right?

I'm really hyped for Dread, although I've only played Super and Prime 1. Going to try out Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion over the next month! Can't wait to fail those shinesparks by like 2 pixels over and over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Imagine my surprise on beating Mother Brain in Zero Mission and not seeing the credits roll!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

AM2R trip report, like one hour in: compulsively traveling over and bombing every single surface with the Spider Ball, just in case. Movement and control feel really tight and good in general. This game slaps.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Metroid Queen in AM2R is kicking my rear end. I really enjoy that you are this totally unstoppable juggernaut by the end, but the Omegas still dent you and the Queen is a whole other level. Really drives home that these really are insanely dangerous, galaxy-threatening creatures in a way the cute little headsucker version just never seemed to be.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

I would be fully down with a procedurally-generated component of Metroid, a Spelunky-like or something like that, something that prioritizes exploration and sharp eyes even on the replays, rather than memorizing paths and item locations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

These are all dope AF, although idg the "dispose" one, at first glance that reads "this game is GARBAGE"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

dropping in to say: game good, i'm getting a little frustrated that my way back keeps getting cut off arbitrarily, but i'm enjoying the combat more than any other metroid i've played. looks good, sounds good, feels good.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Is it possible to parry the chozo warrior's red melee attack? Not the lunge, the vertical slash?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

God drat the speed booster puzzles in this game are fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Kwt9QDZ.mp4

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

hey how'd you record this, anyway, going thru twitter is kinda rear end

Hold down screenshot button to record last 30 seconds. In the album app, "Share" > "Send to phone."

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Finally beat the game, 11 hours, took waaaaay too many backtrack breaks. Looking forward to trying a faster run now that I know the general feel of things and that "just keep going forward until you have the screw attack" is pretty much the best course of action completion-wise.

Final boss owns, story developments own, game owns.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Yeah I think the Chozo Warriors and final boss were big spikes. I enjoyed the challenge but idk if the game naturally sets you up for those challenges, especially once you've got the screw attack and never fight a normal enemy again.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

On my second playthrough and I am spending WAY too much time in elevators and teleporters and whatever, not enough to do in between when you know where you're going. Also, knowing just how powerful the storm missiles are and how to use them just trivializes practically everything, just cleared the second double-warrior battle almost unscathed.

Emmis continue to suck, especially Yellow and Blue.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Barreft posted:

goddamn that lightning butterfly boss annoyed the hell out of me until someone told me the trick. I love this game.

What was the trick?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

Game is okay. It's only difficult because it controls like a butt. Would be more enjoyable if Samus didn't win a 100 meter dash every time I press a direction.

haven't seen an opinion this wrong in ages

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Amppelix posted:

mashing the shoulder buttons with your index fingers to shoot is considerably more taxing than the face button/thumb combination and i would hate it

the *real* solution is that the game should have control options instead of going with their One True Control Scheme like nintendo always does

This. Every single game should have control remapping options.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

looking forward to every 2d metroid game getting remade in this engine. i'll gladly cough up my 80 CAD for each and every one.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CainFortea posted:

A weird thing I thought of playing this game. Some scenes we see the breakable blocks or the exploding alien organ thingies at an angle, and they look like they're 1 block tall, 1 block wide, but like 8 blocks long. Which makes me wonder if this time she doesn't turn into an actual ball, but is more like a big long cylinder.

:aaaaa:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Its loud roar tells our voice-recognition software nothing. Please take your love, your pain, and all of your business elsewhere.

I don't know what these posts are referencing but I really like them a lot.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Augus posted:

the kicker is his proposed solution:
https://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe/status/1449578679982460928?s=21
sounds pretty reasonable, right? well that’s probably because it’s literally how it already works in the game, the enemy never moves off the breakable blocks lmao

i don't even want to think about the kind of freak you have to be to kill it the way he did, with repeated jumps to use the unaimed cannon, instead of any of the myriad aiming options available where a miss or extra shot would break the ceiling. just reprehensible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I think the dude legit tried to play this game like it’s Megaman X or something.

This poo poo reminds me of something that happened in Hollow Knight, there was a guy that had a meltdown over those vines with the giant rocks attached to them you had to cut, and said it was terrible design because nothing was indicating you could cut it.
Which was funny because I had got to that room and remember just slashing at those on pure instinct, like it’s a tiny, fraying vine holding a giant rear end rock what do you think you are supposed to do lol.

those are folks who are way too invested in already being right, and have forgotten how to try new things or have fun. i feel bad for them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I'm calling it now, Exelion Star Corporation is a Shadow Company that some other Chozo were using to supply the Feds with advanced Chozo Tech, for some (possibly nefarious) reason.
That's about the only way I can explain EMMI's being resistant to anything Samus does with her Power Suit, because they knew how to make it resistant to Chozo Weaponry.

I'm 99% sure we see this to be explicitly true in Quiet Robe's exposition - don't we see some chozo standing around an Emmi model with some Exelion logos around?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Next game Samus will be running around Federation HQ on Earth blowing up horrific failed experiments until there's a breach into the surrounding metropolis, and then Samus will have to navigate the labyrinthine streets of Vancouver- because it's ALWAYS Vancouver for some reason.

Turns out a Federation research facility on Mars has been researching ways of producing infinite energy using gateways to hell.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

AM2R ruled, I played it to get prepped for Dread and did not regret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Compare to Ninja Gaiden, or Battletoads, and the balance feels very different.

Oh, it's easier than the legendary hardest, cruelest, least fair game on the system?