Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When will we finally get Metroid Another M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Axiom Verge starts good and slowly gets shittier and more tedious

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bloodstained is very good but very ugly, from top to bottom

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The quality of the script is pretty laughable so far but drat it feels good to Metroid again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My only real gameplay complaints so far is that in the EMMI zones, the darkness and the static make it real hard to tell where I can even go (especially with the yellow doors you can go in and the slightly more orange yellow doors you cannot at first), and the parry timing on the EMMIs is hard to tell because one of the thirty tips it gave at once said "the flash", but it "flashes" like four separate times before you die lol. Is it any of them?

Also it's weird that the "game over" to them is just five seconds of progress lost. Why bother, then? The game feels great but this whole thing with the EMMIs seems bad

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I get that it's a last resort but I mean I'm unsure which flash on it to even wait for

Since there's no punishment for failure though I guess it doesn't matter

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orange Crush Rush posted:

you get two attempts to break out if that helps, one where the EMMI gets close enough to Samus and another if you hosed up the first one and it has Samus in it's hands

Oh that does, I thought it was to fake you out lol. I just got it off, thanks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about as bad at parrying here as Dark Souls lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is it me or is the Samus model in the menu real phazony looking

Kirios posted:

Strong agree. I don't think RBA understands how awful the EMMIs would be if they did that. They're still incredibly tense and stressful without having to punish you like it's a PS1 game or something.

I think the whole way they're designed is pretty poor, with the set rooms they can be in and zero punishment. There's no tension or anything at all, if anything it kills the groove.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The boss fights, EMMIs aside, have been super cool so far. My favorite touch in the game though has been in the "what is Metroid I'm not 30 Nintendo" recap at the start they had Samus in a render of the old super chunky Super Metroid suit

SettingSun posted:

There is a punishment. You get a game over.

lol

e: I will say though that I embarrassingly died to one of the basic baby enemies trying to determine if you can parry while holding a charge shot (you can), and I hosed up the timing until I died and got the setback I wanted lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 8, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Accept your helplessness, person who has personally destroyed two worlds

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What?

Amppelix posted:

yes? do you seriously have a problem with this concept

Just a p lol thing to say to the Planet Killer

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

This game really likes hidden blocks. If you're softlocked it's because they really want you to shoot at anything suspicious before letting you go free

I was stuck for a bit because I shot a hidden block but couldn't roll over yet without the morph ball and it turned out it just wanted me to shoot one right below it, but also didn't register the twenty shots around it to see what was up the first few times lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I just parried the green EMMI three times trying to figure out where the hell to go

The cloak's vaguely useful in that you can cloak and hop over them and they won't notice but it's obvious that it can still see you and knows exactly where you are either way

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I'm glad I turned around after getting the wide beam to check out the door in the last EMMI zone since they don't set you back for trying at all. Doing so finally got me the morph ball, and also learned that hitting the chin of an EMMI doesn't count as the head, apparently, so aim high

Actually, it seems like every single room checkpoints if you die, if dicking around with these turrets is any indication, which makes how much damage things do even weirder

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

site posted:

how the gently caress did you get all the way to the wide beam without the morph ball

I walked lol

Idk I went left out of the transport in that area then just kept redirecting the vents lol. Afaict I needed the wide beam to break the door to the central unit

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 11, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

may as well go whole hog, every regular enemy can be various ridley stages too

I just barely had enough ridley missiles to kill Ridley so now that I have the ridley suit I'm going to go ridley jump (which is just flapping your arms and squawking) around and see what I get

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you think is more annoying, seeing the same enemies that never seem to just be dead and reacquiring the same gear mission after mission or losing to the same person the same way time after time

At least Kraid only gets owned twice before this lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish there were more frames of animation between entering and leaving morph ball form or something. I don't want it to take longer but it looks strange to go from that to immediately doing a kick.

Also some of these fire and particle effects seem extremely choppy lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, the valve in Artaria. "Why do I hear the escape music oh no. More of that and less of the signposted robots please game that trap owned. Have an EMMI superslam through a wall or something later

e: TBH I like all the one-ways and switch backs. I feel totally lost and like I'm stumbling on things early or wrong and it's totally intentional and I love it

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 11, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Surprise T Rex posted:

I do enjoy this, like the game gives me the very strong feeling that I've just hosed up traversing the proper route and need to find a way back to where I just was so I can do it properly, but it turns out no that's exactly where the game wanted me to go.

It just stresses me out because I can't keep track of where I've been, or wanted to revisit, or anything.

It's great but on the other hand I have only two energy tanks lol

The game loves to dangle them out of reach

e: Just got to Burenia. As a headsup, EMMI can and will chase you through morph ball points, apparently. It's really annoying having that really cool run from Artoria to Kraid then hitting a 50/50 to lose in the EMMI zone because they all dead end if you go the wrong way and choosing wrong. Despite encouraging you to just blast through and not give a poo poo, they just kill all momentum it feels like.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 11, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Amppelix posted:

I'm pretty sure i had like 6-8 at that point, you might just Suck rear end at finding them

Perhaps lol, but I also keep trying to backtrack and stumbling into the Right Way so who knows :v:

If eight then Kraid definitely kept me on my toes. I spent half the fight at 30 health lmao

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I really hope these last robits can't also zip forward and full heal. gently caress you yellow.

The CU fights being identical so far is also pretty weak

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 11, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like the quick dash could be used to break the game on your knee in some way and yet I haven't found anywhere of real value to do that. I keep trying to dodge attacks and failing with it too, it's not actually a teleport despite the appearance.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He's in high command because he's one of the smartest ones

Keep in mind their "science team"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao that the game checkpoints before EMMIs but not cutscenes

Also lmao Chozo Warrior killed me more than I've died in entire Metroid games, but it took like ten minutes with how quick it is. Feels good! You can't counter his red attack right? I didn't just gently caress it up every time? I just hopped over it when I got the timing down but still. It looks like you should be able to do something badass to that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you hit that speed booster part in Artaria directly to the right of the red teleportal? It looks like there's no way to do so, unless you can somehow store a charge going up the ramp from the other side. The tiles coming from the portal aren't breakable at all.

e: Oh, maybe that does do it and I should stop single bomb jumping my way up this loving wall lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 12, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

They were mazes that you were supposed to lead the robot around in circles in and yet that never happens because you have a single door that you need to exit through and a single path to get out. It feels like they made the maze just to make it easier to do the final kill on the robot, which wasn't even that hard to begin with

At least one EMMI room the doors lock when you get the cannon so you don't even do the maze

Once I wrap up I don't think I'm going to bother trying to speedrun, I'm enjoying the game but I have no real desire to shoot the EMMIs another seven times. Unless there's a bigbrain way around it, I guess

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really liking most of the music so far, they're good remixes of the classic tunes. Though, it's hard to pick that out on occasion

Unrelated but the aeion abilities feel pretty half-baked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I really still have 6 energy tanks or so by the X-Chozo? I did two laps of the rest of the map. It feels weird always having three hits to die then losing in the cutscene poke lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

Starting hard mode now, and an early cutscene reminded me

Did anyone ever find out the significance of the blue butterfilies?

I am reasonably sure it's a "this way is progress" indicator

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW just want to say I love how the X parasites look in this. They're all brightly colored gummy monsters even more than in Fusion, no attempt made to make them look "realistic", just flying jellies, it owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The controls feel really janky in a way I can't describe when precision is required (like any shinespark puzzle, it's really obvious for most what to do with the issue being "will the game recognize ZL tap to slide to up left to down or will it miss one of those" or "please stop grabbing the corner, just fall") but outside that they're perfectly fine.

e: With being underground, it's raining in at least one area so I guess not totally so

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 13, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing this on joy-cons seems like a miserable experience

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't understand how pushing triggers with your index fingers impedes moving, jumping, or shooting with your thumbs. It's not like you have to hit multiple weird face buttons at once which would actually be awkward.

Pushing one of the triggers impedes movement completely actually :v:

Jokes aside I think my problem with what the stick is doing is in how the game queues inputs or maybe how it doesn't, it's unwieldy but fine unless trying to bounce all over the place with the shinespark.

Barreft posted:

Someone please link the video of the guy playing this game with his mouth cause he's handicapped.

Bunch of soft arses in here

That's not how accessibility works

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 13, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the latest item you can get the earliest at this point?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know it's blown up forever and ever for real we mean it but kind of surprised not to see phazon or anything at all, considering everything else is in here

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I forgot Phaaze explodes also

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JordanKai posted:

More games should give you cool wallpapers as a reward for beating them, IMO.

Relatedly the Switch should really let us make themes or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hopefully Samus is less racist and homophobic than the last person to carry the title of Ultimate Warrior.

Pirates and X out of Zebes