Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The presumably gravity suit in the new trailers looks rad, though honestly the white and blue is still probably the best suit they've shown so far. Really looking forward to Dread and Samus gaining superpowers, and I wish Returns would get a switch release. Also all the other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's something cool about Fusion though, that you have to see stuff as legitimate threats for practically the whole game. It fits with the stalker movie vibe and Adam always talking about how you're super weak right now and desperately need the upgrades.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Basic blue fusion suit is great. Let us not speak of the varia fusion suit.

I really like the look of the presumably gravity suit in the Dread trailer. It's cool that they're both changing the color and the shape to a degree. I wonder if we will see something as wild as the light or dark suits.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That's just reminding me that they hit a visual style in Prime that still looks good. The gamecube and ps2 era were good for that in a lot of cases. Super Mario Sunshine and Kingdom Hearts 2 are other good examples.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I agree, only cause they REALLY struggled to convert her design/face from Zero Mission into 3D. They fixed it somewhat in Corruption, but Echoes... :gonk:

Still vastly prefer her Echoes/Corruption Varia Suit to the Prime one though, so wins and losses all around. :v:

PED suit and dark suit are definitely in the top tier of suit designs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

The genders are woman, bird, and metroid

Isn't Samus technically all three at this point?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RodShaft posted:

I'm too stingy with Missiles. Any "limited" resource in videogames really. I need to work on that.

Can't use those missiles, you might need them later.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Missiles are not elixirs, and they aren't even limited. :v:

But what if you run out and there's a door you need to open?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

robot roll call posted:

10-12 hours sub 100 percent completion is :discourse: imo. perfect metroid length

Absolutely. Hearing that is excellent news. A 30 hour metroid would be miserable.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Even randomizers for metroid games aren't really trivial. If I remember right they're only just getting a fusion one working and it can still soft lock you. I don't know if there even is one for Zero Mission. Granted modding an old game and designing one from scratch are different tasks, but designing an expansive static map that can support randomization in a meaningful way isn't easy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Waffleopolis posted:

Went to a walmart to see if someone goof'd up and had physical copies early. No dice.

If I get it digitally does it unlock at midnight eastern or pacific time?

If I remember MH Rise correctly, I think it is midnight eastern. I'm looking forward to hopefully getting in some metroid time tomorrow night on the west coast.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It was mentioned in many reviews and even previews, but I'll spoiler it anyway (regarding progression) having the morph ball be obtained relatively late rather than almost immediately seems like a pretty gutsy but neat decision. You still have some degree of tunneling from the slide, but it's going to leave so many potential paths to remember and go back to later, and presumably that would also mean fewer instances where you go down a morph ball path only to find you still don't have the thing you'll need for the end of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gotta say I like that throwback clear time screen.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Checking my switch periodically in case they gently caress up and release it early.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The game feels really good to play, though it's still taking a bit to get used to aiming+missiles at the same time. The emmi zones are definitely a bit nerve wracking, but checkpointing is generous enough that it doesn't feel terrible when you get owned, and honestly most of my deaths to them have been my own dumb mistakes like embarrassingly forgetting how to charge the omega gun or underestimating how long it takes or stealthing directly in one's path. The only cheap deaths I've run into were when I dropped down a hole directly onto one because it doesn't seem like their position resets when you reload from a checkpoint.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

The writing is generic but easily ignorable. It's not Other M's cringe-filled borderline sexist nonsense if that's what you're worried about. Samus is a badass and has free reign to be a badass.

I like that the phantom cloak boss fight has her doing cool moves like the tail grab and letting you do the shooting during the animation for it, and the finisher of her casually standing there charging her gun while waiting. They did a good job with Samus' animations, including just the little hops to get on the transports between zones rather than just walking onto them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Are the level designers, the same people as the mirror polishers? (The answer is no.)

Yeah but one of them does presumably have to get their work mostly done before the other.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Also it's weird that the "game over" to them is just five seconds of progress lost. Why bother, then? The game feels great but this whole thing with the EMMIs seems bad

Things don't have to be super punishing to still be tense. The EMMIs do a good job of that, and if it sent you back to your last save they would be awful.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I mean nobody can really argue against someone saying they need the EMMIs to delete their save before they'll feel anything, but like, that's not going to be the vast majority of people. See for example any game with a time limit, no matter how lenient. Just the existence of a clock or threat on its own is enough to affect probably most people who will play it. It doesn't need to be more frustrating than that for most people.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

has anyone figured out the timing for the EMMI counters? like, is there a specific tell I'm not seeing?

I've done it once, on accident.

One chance on the arm flash when they grab you, one chance on the eye flash before it stabs you. I think it's probably too fast to truly react to, so you just have to get a feel for it. That said, I've only gotten it a couple times.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It’s not even orders here, he’s just saying going into Lava Room will probably kill you, I don’t think you should.

And saying "Yeah your plasma beam and super missiles wouldn't crack the EMMIs, don't even think about it with less."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

killing the EMMIs is much more tense than avoiding them which I was not expecting

Yeah making them not turn into like an arena boss fight was a good move. Every little slip of your targeting when they change positions makes you sweat a little and wonder if you gave yourself enough room.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

You can freeze enemies with them, then smash 'em apart with a melee attack. Super handy for some of the beefier enemies that normally require counters for quick kills.

I feel like an idiot that it didn't even occur to me to try to melee frozen enemies.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ok I'm stumped on this one, in part by probably not understanding shinespark mechanics that well.

Not pictured two bomb blocks in a row off to the right on the same level as the floor I'm standing on. I don't know how you carry a shinespark from the bomb blocks all the way over to here, I lose it even with flash shifting all the way over.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you using the crossbomb to get rid of the bomb blocks faster? It's still tight timing, but totally doable as long as your storing the charge close to the blocks.

I do not have those, so I'll have to search them out. Thanks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

boss spoiler

dude, am i doing something wrong in this Giant X fight in Cataris? i must've pumped like 150 ice missiles into this fucker, and he still won't die??? his purple wind bullet hell thing loving SUCKS and i feel like the parry timing on his bite attack is slightly off. gently caress. this. boss.

For that boss I think you have to destroy at leaast two of its limbs with storm missiles when it grabs the wall. The wind section is a chance to shinespark quick kill if you want to be spicy, but I would just normal run and try to get the jump/space jump timings down first. The counter I think is less timing than you have to be right under it, at least that's what worked for me. If you do it successfully (and maybe some other condition since I've done it right but not gotten the full scene) you get a big cutscene to slam even more missiles directly into its head. Keep at it, my failed runs looked like complete poo poo until I suddenly got an almost completely clean one that went super smooth.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cleared my first run through at 100% in 10:48:32. Really enjoyed the game and the final boss was fun though took a few attempts to get the patterns down, which is fine by me. I really wish that a clear would let you use the metroid suit at least cosmetically for a hard mode or new game run, because it looks cool as hell and is in the running for my favorite suit in the series.

Really hope they keep Mercury Steam on for more 2d metroids, since they did a stellar job with this one and it looks like they really understand what people want out of one. Also interested to see what story direction they plan to take things and whether metroid will finally be able to crawl and how they might incorporate a controlled energy drain ability. Just make sure to credit all the people who worked on the game next time, Mercury Steam.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HenryEx posted:

After dying like 5 times to the underwater boss due to the grapple platform not moving quickly enough and blasting the green button for 15 seconds straight not doing anthing, i finally paused the game and went to look up a video for what to loving do on this dumb rear end boss

Turns out the game doesn't want you to blast the button with missiles (since with 100+ missiles, i basically have the R button pernamently pressed in any boss fight), but wants you to beam it
while the button reacts and the wheel turns when missiling, the water never actually drops

Huge BM imo

I have to ask, did you missile every time those same buttons showed up elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In addition to the Burenia one posted earlier, the Artaria and Ferenia ones that you have to do wall jumps and slides in were fun and felt good to get after a lot of failed attempts. The Artaria one in particular was good for learning how speed booster wall jumps actually work.